Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

the fart bit is basically germany right?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That's Dutch Limburg. So yes.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Whorelord posted:

Absolutely.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Limburgers love a nice big cheesy fart.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
'Black Arab Dutch Fart' is pretty much my impression of Dutch politics, especially since the alt-Right types started getting airtime. :geert:

Whorelord posted:

New thread title?

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

I honestly had no idea that Iowa was entirely covered by railways.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think that's just the land grants, and then the railroad companies sold or leased any land that wasn't used for tracks to farmers. At a tidy profit of course.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Guavanaut posted:

I think that's just the land grants, and then the railroad companies sold or leased any land that wasn't used for tracks to farmers. At a tidy profit of course.

And was one of the major points of contention for western Populists in the 1880s and '90s, as well. So much so that there were calls to nationalize the railroads.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Guavanaut posted:

That's exactly what it is.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Looks like the railroads didn't mess with Texas.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

dublish posted:

Looks like the railroads didn't mess with Texas.

Because Texas held the land rights to its land, not the Feds, since it was annexed as sovereign territory. It's one reason UT has a larger endowment than everyone but Yale and Harvard. All that west Texas ranch land that normally would have been BLM land actually produces profits for the state that have been earmarked for UT's coffers.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Because Texas held the land rights to its land, not the Feds, since it was annexed as sovereign territory. It's one reason UT has a larger endowment than everyone but Yale and Harvard. All that west Texas ranch land that normally would have been BLM land actually produces profits for the state that have been earmarked for UT's coffers.

Actually the story behind that is pretty funny. The University of Texas was designated as a land grant school (due to a bunch of fuckery we end up with A&M and UT as separate schools, but that's another story). Because it's a land grant school, it's entitled to "university lands" that they can control and do business on and whatever. Because the university's location hadn't been set, the legislature decided to fulfill that obligation by giving the university seemingly worthless land in West Texas. This was in the early 1880s.

In the 1920s, they discovered oil there. Whoops.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

My favorite part about the landgrants is the fact that most railroads will keep loving with large cities even today using them.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

sbaldrick posted:

My favorite part about the landgrants is the fact that most railroads will keep loving with large cities even today using them.

You can't just drop a nugget like that without a link...

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

"British Possessions".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Small decorated tea sets and such.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

SoggyBobcat posted:

"British Possessions".

"lower california"

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

a pipe smoking dog posted:

"lower california"

Yes, that's the english translation of the spanish name, Baja California?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Baja California is the lower part of California, Canada was a British possession, if there's any part that does deserve the quotemarks in the 1880s it's "Indian Territory"

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Guavanaut posted:

Baja California is the lower part of California, Canada was a British possession, if there's any part that does deserve the quotemarks in the 1880s it's "Indian Territory"

That was the actual (if mostly technically informal) name of that region. Unorganized territories were supposed to be set aside for Indians, and as that shrank, the last unorganized territory was called Indian Territory; I don't recall if the name was ever official, though.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Whoever made this map also jumped the gun a little bit. With the Florida panhandle being annexed to Alabama, despite that deal never actually getting resolved by the two states' legislatures.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

According to that map the entirety of my home city in Michigan and my ancestor's farms were part of a land grant to the railroad companies in 1884. Which seems unlikely given that the city was founded in 1830.

I suspect that either the remaining public lands in those gray areas were allotted to the railroad companies (which could mean any amount in total), or the map-maker just colored in big swathes of gray willy-nilly.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
At least some of them are fully covering areas which had a formal land grant system in place even if the specific locations are not land-grant. A lot of Nevada, for example, was granted in a checkerboard fashion in order to force the railroads to have a profitable stake in development if something were to be found.

Some areas it extended 20 miles from the railroad, some more, some less. I'm not sure about how it was done every state, I know that the transcontinental railroad grants in northern Nevada were done as 20 miles from the railroad in 1 mile x 1 mile squares in a checkerboard fashion. When a city became worth developing they usually started selling off their lands to finance setting up infrastructure to service those lands.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Jaramin posted:

Whoever made this map also jumped the gun a little bit. With the Florida panhandle being annexed to Alabama, despite that deal never actually getting resolved by the two states' legislatures.

Sorry to be a killjoy, but the darkest lines are rivers. It was a bit weird at first to see, for example, Arizona Territory include southeast Nevada.

(Also, was that actually a thing? Got a link?)

Golbez fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Mar 19, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Golbez posted:

That was the actual (if mostly technically informal) name of that region. Unorganized territories were supposed to be set aside for Indians, and as that shrank, the last unorganized territory was called Indian Territory; I don't recall if the name was ever official, though.
Yeah, but within 5 years of that map they'd stop even pretending that it was Indian territory.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

A 1717 map of the German city of Fürth. Yellow means that the houses are subject to the Prince of Ansbach, red is the Dean of the Cathedral in Bamberg, Yellow the Imperial City of Nuremberg and the grey the town itself (which, as a legal body, in turn was subject to Ansbach in temporal and Nuremberg in ecclesiastical matters. I think, it's complicated). "Subject to" means in this context that they not only owned the land the buildings stood on, but also that different laws and rules applied depending on where you lived. In the specific example of Fürth, all three parties hated the gently caress out of each other and were trying to piss each other off at every opportunity. This in turn meant that the people of Fürth had many liberties and opportunities other people of the era hadn't - basically everything could be seen as a political act and make you powerful enemies, but if you played your cards right you could count on the near-unlimited support of your lord as long as whatever you did a) benefitted him and b) (and probably even more importantly) pissed the other lords off. The best-known example of this is the thriving Jewish community in Fürth, which developed because the Princes of Ansbach and the Dean of Bamberg realised that giving Jews permission to settle for money meant that they could earn lots of it, and it would greatly annoy Nuremberg where Jews weren't allowed to live at all, neither in the city itself nor in any of its lands outside of it.

The Holy Roman Empire, folks. If towns belonging to three different lords at once who all hate each other is wrong, then I don't want to be right :allears:

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Golbez posted:

Sorry to be a killjoy, but the darkest lines are rivers. It was a bit weird at first to see, for example, Arizona Territory include southeast Nevada.

Dammit, you seem to be right(but I think there's still a bit of the modern panhandle added to Alabama). But yeah, it was a very real thing in the 19th century. The residents of the panhandle even voted in favor of it. If Florida had been conquered or bought from the Spanish earlier, the panhandle would probably have been formally part of Alabama.

wikipedia posted:

The annexation issue was eclipsed by the Civil War and the war's effects on the region, but in 1868, with Pensacola now connected by the Panhandle's sole railroad line to the Alabama cities of Mobile and Montgomery, the issue came to a head again and was finally put to a vote of the people. In that year, the Alabama Legislature approved a joint resolution authorizing their Governor to negotiate with the Governor of Florida about the annexation of West Florida. An offer of one million dollars in Alabama state bonds, paying 8 percent interest for thirty years, was included. Both states appointed commissioners to make detailed recommendations on the matter.

On November 2, 1869, a referendum was held in the West Florida counties (except Jackson, which was in the throes of bloody racial violence), with a result of 1162 to 661 in favor of annexation. However, political objection developed in Alabama to the high price, and the Legislature took no action on the results of the referendum.

In 1873, a similar proposal was made in the Alabama Legislature, which the state senate approved, though it did not pass a separate proposal to finance the measure by selling all of Alabama's territory west of the Tombigbee River, including the city of Mobile, to Mississippi. However, nothing came of this action.

Jaramin fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 19, 2016

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Golbez posted:

Nevada wasn't always its current size:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ComradeCosmobot posted:

btw the top of that map is correct - Washington territory did use to extend out to where Idaho is today:

Old maps are cool. My dad has the above one, along with this one:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

ComradeCosmobot posted:

It's weird to think what Nevada would be like without Las Vegas. Another Wyoming, I guess.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

fade5 posted:

It's weird to think what Nevada would be like without Las Vegas. Another Wyoming, I guess.

Funnily enough, even without Clark County, which makes up 70% of the population of the state, Nevada would still have a higher population than Wyoming.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

fade5 posted:

As a Renoite, I often forget Las Vegas is part of Nevada. Clark County is kind of its own world down there cut off from the rest of us by empty desert, bombing ranges and secret UFO bases.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Texas should have Denver through San Francisco :colbert:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

ComradeCosmobot posted:

New Mexico and "Arrizona" being split along an east-west line instead of a north-south one is pretty interesting.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Peanut President posted:

New Mexico and "Arrizona" being split along an east-west line instead of a north-south one is pretty interesting.
That's the same line as the Confederate Arizona territory isn't it?

e: looks like it's a bit further south

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Peanut President posted:

That's the original split of the territory - roughly, New Mexico was the part we got in the War of 1848, while Arizona was the Gadsden Purchase.

Arizona seceded and joined the Confederacy, while New Mexico sided with the North. By 1863, Confederate Arizona had been conquered; the territory was reorganized with a north-south split to spite the secessionists.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'd have thought that a north-south split would be exactly what the secessionists wanted. :classiclol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The railroad/land grant map had time zones, which reminded me of the Calder Act, which attempted to standardize them beginning in 1919.

I haven't been able to locate a non-crappy version of the map. Very dark lines, such as from Atlanta to Macon, are the splits. Atlanta was central and Macon was eastern. I'm not sure when the entire state went eastern.