Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Potato Salad posted:

Thank you for illuminating the point.

Can you tell me whether that blue line looks like a simple sin(theta) for theta polar angle ranging from pole-to-pole or whether there's something deeper than introductory physics blackbody modeling for a simple sphere with it's shape?

Hint: that's not a straight trigonometric function, nor is it merely the power output of each polar latitude as a function of regional temperature. Accounted into net radiation is how well each slice of a given power density vs wavelength radiating blackbody function penetrates the atmosphere. This is dependent on functions including aerosols (suspended particles), water vapor, onward. One of many asymmetries between the northern and southern poles involves different life cycles of polar stratospheric clouds and how they stabilize nitrogen oxides and the different life cycles of reservoir species.

Background: I used to work with polar atmosphere models. I have a background in computational physics.

Yeah duh the blue line isn't just the sine of the latitude. There's still more outgoing IR at the Equator than the poles, isn't there?

I think we are in agreement that the NET energy at the poles is negative (which is why heat is transported poleward by the atmosphere), I just took offense at the idea that the poles radiate more IR energy outward than the Equator, that's absurd.

e: I never claimed that water vapor didn't have an effect on outgoing radiation either.

Don Pigeon fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I got defensive because I was debating something earlier today unrelated.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

For a period of 24 hours (March 2 - March 3), the average temperature across the northern hemisphere was 2C above pre-industrial average

quote:

Since this post was originally published, the heat wave has continued. As of Thursday morning, it appears that average temperatures across the Northern Hemisphere have breached the 2 degrees Celsius above “normal” mark for the first time in recorded history, and likely the first time since human civilization began thousands of years ago. That mark has long been held (somewhat arbitrarily) as the point above which climate change may begin to become "dangerous" to humanity. It's now arrived—though very briefly—much more quickly than anticipated. This is a milestone moment for our species. Climate change deserves our greatest possible attention.

*AHEM*
:siren: :derp: :siren:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
The months long uncontrollable methane release in California probably didn't help matters.

At least they plugged it this past month, finally. Alas, it is inconsequential... its total output was something like 1/4th of what California alone spews.

tmfool
Dec 9, 2003

What the frak?

Inglonias posted:

For a period of 24 hours (March 2 - March 3), the average temperature across the northern hemisphere was 2C above pre-industrial average

*AHEM*
:siren: :derp: :siren:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

So, obviously this is *not good* but I'm a bit simple and need a little clarification on all of this. I thought hitting the 2C mark was something we all figured we'd be blowing past in the coming decades, not...now? Does this mean we're all staring down the barrel of hopelessness in the next 10-20 years or something? And if so, how does one not feel suicidal?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

tmfool posted:

So, obviously this is *not good* but I'm a bit simple and need a little clarification on all of this. I thought hitting the 2C mark was something we all figured we'd be blowing past in the coming decades, not...now? Does this mean we're all staring down the barrel of hopelessness in the next 10-20 years or something? And if so, how does one not feel suicidal?

Yeah as far as global warming goes we're basically already far beyond the "welp, we're hosed" point.

As for not suicidal well, I just remind myself that we still might gently caress off to space soon.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

As for not suicidal well, I just remind myself that we still might gently caress off to space soon.

Nobody is going to be living in space in our lifetimes, not even billionaires. Even if a tiny number of people were to live in space, this would not benefit everyone else, so there's no reason to be happy/not suicidal when considering this subject.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

tmfool posted:

Calm down, it's the 2c above the yearly average which is the mark you're thinking of, not the daily average. An extreme one day value does not mean we've blown past the predictions. It's still loving hot not but not out of order in an El Niño year

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Squalid posted:

Calm down, it's the 2c above the yearly average which is the mark you're thinking of, not the daily average. An extreme one day value does not mean we've blown past the predictions. It's still loving hot not but not out of order in an El Niño year

https://twitter.com/EricHolthaus/status/705248491023380480

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
drat it's going to be really hard to get my bunker ready in time

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Banana Man posted:

drat it's going to be really hard to get my bunker ready in time

you fool, all that concrete is just going to trap the heat in with you. You need to build a large underground swimming pool like I am.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
What's a global warming denier to do when their favorite data set starts to show global warming?

Move on to the next dataset that "proves" your claim, of course: upper troposphere (100mb) temperatures!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ComradeCosmobot posted:

What's a global warming denier to do when their favorite data set starts to show global warming?

Move on to the next dataset that "proves" your claim, of course: upper troposphere (100mb) temperatures!

That fucker will be making up whatever numbers he wants as the world burns around him. He's also the favorite go to for all my conservative friends.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2016/03/07/lamar_smith_broadens_his_attacks_on_noaa_scientists.html

quote:

Rep. Lamar Smith (R-Denial) has broadened his harassment of climate scientists. Get this: He wants NOAA administration to hand over every scientist email that contains words like "temperature" and "climate". Yes, seriously.

Joseph McCarthy is alive and well and represents the 21st District of Texas.

gently caress you Lamar Smith.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 7, 2016

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

That fucker will be making up whatever numbers he wants as the world burns around him. He's also the favorite go to for all my conservative friends.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2016/03/07/lamar_smith_broadens_his_attacks_on_noaa_scientists.html

gently caress you Lamar Smith.
Wasn't this the same cocksucker who introduced SOPA? He truly needs to go.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
While it's unfortunate that climate change will brutally punish those who deserve it the least, at least we can all take comfort in the fact that, eventually, denialists will get theirs.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Radbot posted:

While it's unfortunate that climate change will brutally punish those who deserve it the least, at least we can all take comfort in the fact that, eventually, denialists will get theirs.

Not really, they'll go on to live mostly comfortable lives, avoiding any acknowledgement of harm until their peaceful deaths of old age. Let's not pretend that there is any degree of real justice here.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2016/03/14/global_warming_took_another_big_jump_in_february_2016.html

:gonk:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

There really is no way to create a long-term habitation bunker for less than tens of millions of dollars, is there?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Besides, if I had that kind of money, I'd build a small wind farm and literally print money for the rest of my life.

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
I already know climate change is causing water levels to rise, is it possible for the water levels to rise so much that the water evaporates and we don't have any more water left to drink?

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Potato Salad posted:

Besides, if I had that kind of money, I'd build a small wind farm and literally print money for the rest of my life.

Goddamn I need to buy some land at some point. Western paradigm of property :argh:

Frykte posted:

I already know climate change is causing water levels to rise, is it possible for the water levels to rise so much that the water evaporates and we don't have any more water left to drink?

I think it's more a matter of, the water cycle gets pushed into higher gear.

For all the water to be evaporated, I believe the temperature would have to be past its boiling point everywhere (right now average global temp is 15.8 C), which I don't see happening but regardless we'd all be dead by then. Like, some water evaporates now, but that raises the partial pressure of water vapor in the atmosphere, which essentially makes it take marginally more energy for the next "layer" of water to evaporate. But until the ice caps are entirely melted, there will be more water going in than coming out of the ocean with each unit of temperature rise.

I'm not very familiar with the models, but when more of the atmosphere is water vapor, that increases the incidence of hurricanes. It's not technically true if anyone says a given hurricane is "because of climate change," but the frequencies of hurricanes (lambda) of given sizes do go up with the partial pressure of water vapor. So like, more of our previously potable water may come in the form of storms in areas where it can't readily be collected and treated.

Stinky_Pete fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 19, 2016

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
So all the drinkable water is either going to be swirling around in hurricanes or in the Coca cola corporations water silos?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

OK, I have been lurking here for months and I just can't take it anymore. I want someone to give it to me straight right here and right now. I am sorry if I sound like an utter crazy person but this topic is one of the few things that can cause me to go into absolute panic.

I don't want to live in some post apocalyptic hellscape. Hell, even something similar to the beginning of Interstellar is terror to me. Best case scenario in some collapse situation is living in a small community. I cannot do that. I am not good with people and all my interests are dependent on technology. I have lived in a small town before and everyone there is horribly gossipy and would immediately make me an outcast. Plus there is the whole aspect of digging around in the dirt for 12 hours a day for subsistence farming. I cannot even get the energy to cook after an 8 hour work day.

People around me always wonder why I am so calm in stressful situations such as layoffs, etc. This is why. In the face of stuff like this everything else looks trivial. I cannot even plan for my future anymore because it all seems condemned to turn to dust. The cliché advice in this situation is "turn to your loved ones". Unfortunately, not everyone has that luxury. What is to be done then? Do I just keep a noose handy until everything inevitably falls apart? I am already doing what I can environmentally wise: I don't drive, try to save power. I am not vegetarian but I try to cut back.

How exactly do you guys handle it? Is it fear of death that simply keeps you from doing anything drastic?

tl;dr If things are so bad WHAT IS THE GODDAMNED POINT IN ANYTHING?

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Overflight posted:

Simply put, if your panic about anything is preventing you from functioning in life, you need to fix that. That being said, theres no shame in seeking mental help, such as therapy or even just a friend. (If you don't like people, maybe get a pet?)

I am not a mental health professional, so I can't be of service beyond what I've already said.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I am perfectly functioning. I just have this overwhelming sense of pointlessness and lack of aim that I have to occasionally overcome in order to keep a "career".

And I am seeking therapy but I usually hold back about this subject. My therapist has a daughter and I don't want to scare her with statements like "your daughter will live a horrible life and likely die a horrible death cursing you bringing her into this world". The one time I did express my concerns about the state of the world, she gave the old "technology will solve it" speech.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Overflight posted:

I'm going to tell you a story, Overflight, stay a while and listen.

A thousand years ago in eastern Anatolia, there was a marvelous city called Ani: capital of the Armenian empire. In the 9th century this city shone brighter than Constantinople in wealth and power, "the city of 1001 churches" they called it. Stunning feats of architecture were performed, the crumbled remnants of which can still be seen to this day. It was one of the greatest cities of the medieval world. Was.

You see, at the turn of the Millennium, fate turned on Ani. The Seljuks invaded and massacred over half the population, burned it to the ground, and took 50,000 citizens as slaves. It recovered, slightly, and then in 1226 Ghengis Khan and his Mongols rode through and left it as a pile of corpses. The following centuries were the same: Turks, Safavids, Tamerlane; they all pushed it down the road to ruin. All that is left today is a vast plain of grass that some old guys herd cows through, dotted with a half-dozen shattered carcasses of monolithic cathedrals.

What's the point of this story?

Ever heard of this place before? No? Why Not?

We don't know the names of the architects who designed the few standing monuments there. We don't know the names of the millions who lived and died there for centuries, what their hopes and dreams were, what works they might have made in their free time. Who were their great artists? Their famous philosophers? Their scientists or merchant lords? What passions and sorrows cast light upon the lives which lived and died behind those crumbling walls? We do not know.

We don't know, because ultimately your entire loving life is externally pointless unless you achieve something so earth shatteringly unique that it escapes the inevitable entropy of history. Unless you plan to kill a non-trivial percentage of total humans like Tamerlane, or discover / invent something that fundamentally alters our society like Ford, you're poo poo out of luck and nobody will even know you existed in about 200 years after you die (give or take).

So spend less time worrying about the future: the only "point" to your life is the one you decide on and make for yourself.

quote:

"And on the pedestal these words appear:
'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away."

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

I doubt you helped that poor autistic nerd. Good post though.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Overflight posted:

And I am seeking therapy but I usually hold back about this subject. My therapist has a daughter and I don't want to scare her with statements like "your daughter will live a horrible life and likely die a horrible death cursing you bringing her into this world".
It's your therapist's job to worry about your mental well-being, not the other way around.

Overflight posted:

What's the goddamned point of anything anyway? You can live a meaningful life on your own terms no matter what the future holds.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

We haven't seen any real eco terrorism yet, have we? I wonder if we ever will.

Anyway, I read that CO2 emissions has stopped rising, at least looking at last year, without any global economic recession. Is there any scientific consensus regarding this? If so, that's a little hopeful, weren't emissions predicted to keep rising for a lot of big countries?

Also, since this thread is supposed to be about solutions, are there any studies on what a low-CO2 society could look like? The consensus here on SA and a lot of other places seem to be that energy consumption will keep rising no matter what and the alternative is everyone living in mud huts and doing subsistence farming. But since fission power is politically unfeasible for different reasons and fusion is not going to show up in time to save the day, would it really be impossible to have a society with low levels of energy consumption but with high life-expectancy, low infant mortality, etc?

I'm thinking the lifestyle of The West in the 40's but mixed with the technology of today. That is, meat is not eaten every day (and all parts of animals are eaten) but protein is also made from insect farms and "lab-grown", dairy products are replaced by oat milk and such. Cars are scarce but people use electric bikes and velomobiles to commute and transport goods within cities. Air flight doesn't exist for most people but plenty of resources are spent on healthcare. More people work in the agricultural sector but it's not completely reliant on human hands. And of course, gays don't have to hide in closets and black people can become presidents. Would that kind of society still be unsustainable if it was global? Would we able to supply such a society with enough energy from reneweable sources (without loving up every eco system building renewable energy plants)? Would it become economically and technologically stagnant? I don't really have any good data on this, but I feel like there should be a middle ground between colonizing space and tilling the land for the rest of your meager life.

Of course, you could say that getting people to give up their cars, burgers and air charter is just as politically unfeasible as building tons of nuclear reactors. But, again looking at the 40's, society was able to make a shift towards a very effective and "eco-friendly" (apart from the giant military industries, I mean) economy very quickly.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

We haven't seen any real eco terrorism yet, have we? I wonder if we ever will.

Anyway, I read that CO2 emissions has stopped rising, at least looking at last year, without any global economic recession. Is there any scientific consensus regarding this? If so, that's a little hopeful, weren't emissions predicted to keep rising for a lot of big countries?
It's a step, and we can celebrate that, but it's also an extremely tiny step coming very late in the game.

Also, since this thread is supposed to be about solutions, are there any studies on what a low-CO2 society could look like? The consensus here on SA and a lot of other places seem to be that energy consumption will keep rising no matter what and the alternative is everyone living in mud huts and doing subsistence farming. But since fission power is politically unfeasible for different reasons and fusion is not going to show up in time to save the day, would it really be impossible to have a society with low levels of energy consumption but with high life-expectancy, low infant mortality, etc?

I'm thinking the lifestyle of The West in the 40's but mixed with the technology of today. That is, meat is not eaten every day (and all parts of animals are eaten) but protein is also made from insect farms and "lab-grown", dairy products are replaced by oat milk and such. Cars are scarce but people use electric bikes and velomobiles to commute and transport goods within cities. Air flight doesn't exist for most people but plenty of resources are spent on healthcare. More people work in the agricultural sector but it's not completely reliant on human hands. And of course, gays don't have to hide in closets and black people can become presidents. Would that kind of society still be unsustainable if it was global? Would we able to supply such a society with enough energy from reneweable sources (without loving up every eco system building renewable energy plants)? Would it become economically and technologically stagnant? I don't really have any good data on this, but I feel like there should be a middle ground between colonizing space and tilling the land for the rest of your meager life.

Of course, you could say that getting people to give up their cars, burgers and air charter is just as politically unfeasible as building tons of nuclear reactors. But, again looking at the 40's, society was able to make a shift towards a very effective and "eco-friendly" (apart from the giant military industries, I mean) economy very quickly.

I don't think there's really a consensus on what a post-emission society would look like. Folks like to freak out about going back to the stone age, but I don't think that's as likely as they seem to think. The future is just too unpredictable, and anyone who tells you otherwise is selling you something.

That said, there are massive efficiency gains to be made in all sorts of areas. Some examples are moving from cars to mass transit and changing city layouts and changing the way we build houses and buildings so they don't constantly hemorrhage heat, or can only be cooled with massive amounts of AC. Another possibility is that solar and wind end up powering everything and the energy grid is revamped to accommodate this. Also, lots of surveys show support for nuclear power hovers between 48% and 61% (the 48% from Gallop coming at 2001, the 61% in 2010), meaning you already have majority support for it, and that's with essentially no one advocating for it and the general public largely unaware as to what nuclear energy is, how it works, or how safe it is. I don't think that going back a pre-electric world is going to happen, and I don't think you'll find any but fringe support for that since it would be a massive disaster for billions of people (I've got more about that in the OP).

Ultimately, we have the resources, technology, labor force, and ability to shift our economy into any of the above choices. The problem remains an economic and political one, and so--to address posters like Overflight--the best course of action is to get politically active.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I am perfectly OK with this. As long as I can take the bus or bike to work and we will still have the Internet.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 20, 2016

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The problem with such a system is that on top of creating even more wealth inequality it would have to imposed by force by an authoritarian goverment. Climate justice warriors rarely take into account the actual will and desires of the people. Who the hell wants to live the life of a poor subsistence farmer who cant even get out of the ten mile radius he was born in because transportation is only for the very rich. Its like that UN guy who said humans will have to get used to eating insects!?? Hellll no im not going

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Eating insects is not that bad. I had those insect schnitzel things twice. It's just like those veggie patties you see in the supermarket that taste like meat.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Or you could just use chickens which are still very environmentally conscious and also most people know how to cook them.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Yeah, but how do you kill and prepare them?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

drilldo squirt posted:

Yeah, but how do you kill and prepare them?

With a hammer and fire.

Duh.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

The problem with such a system is that on top of creating even more wealth inequality it would have to imposed by force by an authoritarian goverment. Climate justice warriors rarely take into account the actual will and desires of the people. Who the hell wants to live the life of a poor subsistence farmer who cant even get out of the ten mile radius he was born in because transportation is only for the very rich. Its like that UN guy who said humans will have to get used to eating insects!?? Hellll no im not going

Its pretty clear why this problem is not really going to be solved when poo poo like this still gets thrown around as if its actually what 'Climate Justice Warriors' (is this meant to hearken to SJWs?) want to do.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

Yeah, the narrative "we all need to cut back" ignores that an absurd amount of resources consumption is entirely because of the whims of the ultra-rich. It also confuses excessive consumerism that our economic system requires to function for necessities. Neither inequality nor consumerism are required for a high standard of living; quite the opposite, really. However, the people in power don't want to admit that capitalism and their lifestyle is the problem, so of course no one talks about that.

It's the same kind of "we have to tighten our belts during this recession" that Obama, Boehner, and media talking heads were pushing a few years back. Of course, what they really mean is "poor and middle class people need to accept cuts to welfare, schools, services, increases in tuition and taxes, and accept lovely labor practices and job insecurity so we don't have to threaten the profits of corporations or millionaires." You get the same narrative from liberals who are pushing efficient light-bulbs and hybrid cars, and letting the rich and corporations--the actual biggest polluters--off the hook.

Edit:

khwarezm posted:

Its pretty clear why this problem is not really going to be solved when poo poo like this still gets thrown around as if its actually what 'Climate Justice Warriors' (is this meant to hearken to SJWs?) want to do.

You do hear people talking about it, and it's popped up over and over again in the climate threads. Most people diving into the thread the first time will ask some question related to it, like "are we all going to have to till soil and poop in ditches?" or "is there any hope or are my children going to be slaves working in the landfill mines of the grim hot future?" It indicates the prevalence of the narrative, which is why I think it's important to address those worries and point out that, no, that's not what needs to happen.

Uranium Phoenix fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 20, 2016

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

OK, so can someone please provide or point out to me a proper list of the kind of stuff that WOULD be necessary? I know answers might vary but I think it would put the minds of people like me at ease. My nightmare scenario, like I said, is one akin to Interstellar where everyone is pressured into becoming farmers and even technology and progress is a dirty word. One where everyone is forced to work 12 hours a day growing their own food until their backs give out and the rest of the community puts you down for being useless.

When you say "cutting back" exactly WHAT do you mean? I can live without travel. I do not own a car. I can even live without beef. But will I have to add a significant amount of manual labor to my daily existence? Will there have to be a greater focus on "community" and what guarantees will I have that this will not lead to an increase in tribalism and shunning of anyone who is different somehow, even for details as trivial as "not liking to drink" (which already cuts off a significant form of socializing).

If we are to break the deadlock between alarmism and denial we HAVE to start pushing for the truth to come out.

Edit: ^ yes, thank you.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Overflight posted:

OK, so can someone please provide or point out to me a proper list of the kind of stuff that WOULD be necessary? I know answers might vary but I think it would put the minds of people like me at ease. My nightmare scenario, like I said, is one akin to Interstellar where everyone is pressured into becoming farmers and even technology and progress is a dirty word. One where everyone is forced to work 12 hours a day growing their own food until their backs give out and the rest of the community puts you down for being useless.

When you say "cutting back" exactly WHAT do you mean? I can live without travel. I do not own a car. I can even live without beef. But will I have to add a significant amount of manual labor to my daily existence? Will there have to be a greater focus on "community" and what guarantees will I have that this will not lead to an increase in tribalism and shunning of anyone who is different somehow, even for details as trivial as "not liking to drink" (which already cuts off a significant form of socializing).

If we are to break the deadlock between alarmism and denial we HAVE to start pushing for the truth to come out.

Edit: ^ yes, thank you.

The problem is less that there are X things we must do, and instead there are many options. Carbon neutral economies could be achieved simply by redirecting a portion of the world's military spending into mitigation. Or by any of 1000 different methodologies, the issue is political practicality and economic realities.

If anything, to combat climate change most effectively we will end up with a more interconnected, more technological, and more developed world.

Replacing cookstoves in Africa with biogas future proofs against emissions in the out years, reduces infrastructure related to missions in the present, and improve quality-of-life and economic opportunity.

If you're panicking about what you can do to help stop climate change, becoming a net negative carbon emitter is probably the best thing one individual could do. That's as simple as installing a solar, reducing your own consumption and off or planting a bunch of loving trees. that's as simple as installing enough solar, reducing your own consumption or planting a bunch of loving trees. Even just progress towards goals like these are helpful net positive for the climate.