Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Safari has been rear end for me for as long as I can remember. Chrome will always be my default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

LODGE NORTH posted:

Safari has been rear end for me for as long as I can remember. Chrome will always be my default.
r.i.p. your battery life

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Chrome is great for when I'm working late on a winter night and my thermostat turns the temps down

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Chrome when you're plugged in, Safari if you're on battery and need to squeeze out as much time as possible. Duh...

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Yo whats up with "Spotify Helper" butt fuckin' my processes? Do I get Tidal now or just switch to vinyl?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Dubstep Jesus posted:

r.i.p. your battery life

I use an iMac :v:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I used Chrome from day one until about a year ago, when I switched from Android to iPhone and wanted to take full advantage of poo poo like iCloud Keychain, handoff, etc. I guess I picked a good time for Safari. It was on the heels of the 9.0 update, that much I remember. I have no complaints and had no issues whatsoever switching from Chrome.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
For me it's Chrome for development/work and Safari for personal stuff/regular browsing.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Riven posted:

For me it's Chrome for development/work and Safari for personal stuff/regular browsing.

This but Firefox instead of Chrome because it's a good browser

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Oh neat, has it been 2 weeks already? Time to argue about browsers again?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Yeah it's good to keep another browser around for compatibility, same reason it's good to keep windows around. But Safari is awesome and you totally don't need the extensions you think you need.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Skim Milk posted:

Yo whats up with "Spotify Helper" butt fuckin' my processes? Do I get Tidal now or just switch to vinyl?

Spotify uses the Chromium runtime, including out of process browser instances.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
So does Spotify just automatically add itself to your start-up items every time it updates? Because I keep having to delete it from boot items.

tuyop posted:

Yeah it's good to keep another browser around for compatibility, same reason it's good to keep windows around. But Safari is awesome and you totally don't need the extensions you think you need.

Back when the world was IE only, you needed 4 Mac browsers to ensure compatibility. Opera for personal stuff, Firefox for work, Omni-Web if those didn't work, and iCab as a last resort.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Temporarily closing for the Apple event, liveposting/etc here! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3769230

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

kuroshi posted:

Spotify uses the Chromium runtime, including out of process browser instances.

:chome:'d again

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Krispy Kareem posted:

So does Spotify just automatically add itself to your start-up items every time it updates? Because I keep having to delete it from boot items.

Best as I can tell, yes. It's infuriating because I haven't let any program add itself to my startup/launch items since Windows 98 but spotify thinks it's cooler than that.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I just use the spotify web interface. The app is Real Bad.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

OS X 10.11.4 is out, but seems to only be available via App Store/Software Update at the moment.

Apple posted:

- Adds the ability to passcode-protect notes containing personal data in Notes

- Adds the ability to sort notes alphabetically, by date created, or date modified in Notes

- Adds the ability to import Evernote files into Notes

- Adds support for sharing Live Photos between iOS and OS X via AirDrop and Messages

- Addresses an issue that may cause RAW images to open slowly in Photos

- Adds the ability for iBooks to store PDFs in iCloud, making them available across all your devices

- Fixes an issue that prevented loading Twitter t.co links in Safari

- Prevents JavaScript dialogs from blocking access to other webpages in Safari

- Fixes an issue that prevented the VIPs mailbox from working with Gmail accounts

- Fixes an issue that caused USB audio devices to disconnect

- Improves the compatibility and reliability of Apple USB-C Multipart Adapters

Edit: Tankx SWSP VVV

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 21, 2016

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

OS X 10.11.4 is out, but seems to only be available via App Store/Software Update at the moment.
Nah combo is here:

http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/39/52/031-53826/4eea1jmuta47vh33hyakz1ajyqn6dyvu2f/OSXUpdCombo10.11.4Auto.pkg

Delta is here:

http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/41/46/031-53822/ohlz4gfgdao83g9sqz3loxwdpy41c12jrz/OSXUpd10.11.4.pkg

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Is the best way to create bootable USB drives from ISOs still the command line? I'm gonna need to make one in the next week or so and the last time I had to do so the command line was the only method that worked for whatever reason (this was about a year ago).

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

I think it only reinstates itself if you remove its entry in System Preferences/Login Items. If you disable "Open Spotify automatically after you log into the computer" in Spotify's own (advanced) preferences it should stay put.

walropodes
Jan 8, 2012

GobiasIndustries posted:

Is the best way to create bootable USB drives from ISOs still the command line? I'm gonna need to make one in the next week or so and the last time I had to do so the command line was the only method that worked for whatever reason (this was about a year ago).

Try mounting the disk image, then going to the GUI disk utility and from the Edit menu select Restore and you should be able to write the image to your USB drive

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Fixing t.co links in Safari is the biggest bugfix for me in I don't know how long. Can't believe it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

ohrwurm posted:

Fixing t.co links in Safari is the biggest bugfix for me in I don't know how long. Can't believe it.

Changing the https to http, or vice versa (I can't remember exactly) so the page opens? Thank god it's not just me, it's driven me loopy. Doesn't affect everyone though afaik as my housemate wasn't affected but it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Eugh, 10.11.4 broke native Cisco VPN connectivity for me. Can't VPN in home anymore since the upgrade. Looks like it changed the proposal to SHA2-something so I'll have to either modify my VPN concentrator or figure out a way to back out the changes in raccoon.conf or something.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

raccoon.conf, wish we had that file for the entire city of Toronto. "enabled 0"

Er, why don't you want to use the Cisco AnyConnect client? It's not an awful piece of software...

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

One day the icon may even be monochromatic.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Pivo posted:

raccoon.conf, wish we had that file for the entire city of Toronto. "enabled 0"

Er, why don't you want to use the Cisco AnyConnect client? It's not an awful piece of software...

Because I'm not actually terminating to a Cisco. My concentrator just happened to be compatible with the built in Cisco VPN profile in OSX until 10.11.4.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
I've been hearing reports of issues with iMessage and Facetime working with 10.11.4, but the only thing I've heard so far may be coming from Macrumors, so it's probably a load of hogwash.

#MacOSX on Freenode blames the "Hackintossers", as they lovingly refer to them there. They figure that half of the people reporting this issue are Hack users, and the other half are people who were sold machines whose serial numbers had either been harvested or somehow collided with by a random serial number generator and got it blacklisted as fake.

E: Substantiating links:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7503298?start=0&tstart=0

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/03/23/mac-users-facetime-imessage-login-issues/

And everyone else seems to have filtered down from there.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Can someone explain how spotlight indexing works? Will it index any drive that gets plugged into it? I want to plug in an external HDD to someone else's Macbook and rather it didn't do it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

KingEup posted:

Can someone explain how spotlight indexing works? Will it index any drive that gets plugged into it? I want to plug in an external HDD to someone else's Macbook and rather it didn't do it.

Yes, just add it to the exclusion list in spotlight settings.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
What in racoon.conf would you need to change if your Cisco IPSec gets hosed in 10.11.4?

KingEup posted:

I'm not sure about external drives, but I think adding .noindex to your folder name exempts it from scanning that folder.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

kuroshi posted:

I've been hearing reports of issues with iMessage and Facetime working with 10.11.4, but the only thing I've heard so far may be coming from Macrumors, so it's probably a load of hogwash.

#MacOSX on Freenode blames the "Hackintossers", as they lovingly refer to them there. They figure that half of the people reporting this issue are Hack users, and the other half are people who were sold machines whose serial numbers had either been harvested or somehow collided with by a random serial number generator and got it blacklisted as fake.

E: Substantiating links:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7503298?start=0&tstart=0

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/03/23/mac-users-facetime-imessage-login-issues/

And everyone else seems to have filtered down from there.

The freenode apple community is the worst non-pedophile community on IRC.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Krispy Kareem posted:

What in racoon.conf would you need to change if your Cisco IPSec gets hosed in 10.11.4?

I'm not sure about external drives, but I think adding .noindex to your folder name exempts it from scanning that folder.

Not sure exactly, I ended up making the change on my FortiOS -- I had to change Auth from SHA1 to SHA256 and enable DH-14. Debugs showed that it was presenting a different SHA proposal. I don't have the details on hand right now, but it looks like that's at least two defaults that Apple changed.

I'll try to dig up more info after lunch if it'll help.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Martytoof posted:

Not sure exactly, I ended up making the change on my FortiOS -- I had to change Auth from SHA1 to SHA256 and enable DH-14. Debugs showed that it was presenting a different SHA proposal. I don't have the details on hand right now, but it looks like that's at least two defaults that Apple changed.

I'll try to dig up more info after lunch if it'll help.

I would probably say it's more a case of Apple moving off of deprecated hash and key-exchange algorithms. Yes, it sucks they just up and did it. Was it documented anywhere? Knowing Apple, probably not.

How did you track it down? Just cycling through settings? Or did you watch the handshakes on the fortigate?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Hey I'm going to have access to a web seminar next week and although afterwards I will have access to the recording, the access only lasts for a couple weeks. Is there a recommended piece of software that I can record it to my drive?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

flosofl posted:

I would probably say it's more a case of Apple moving off of deprecated hash and key-exchange algorithms. Yes, it sucks they just up and did it. Was it documented anywhere? Knowing Apple, probably not.

How did you track it down? Just cycling through settings? Or did you watch the handshakes on the fortigate?

Yeah, I ended up debugging IKE and poring through the output. To be completely fair, maybe this works as expected when you connect to an actual Cisco IPsec endpoint and Fortigate only implemented it in a way that happened to work and Cisco's actually has a wider support of algorithms by default. I also sent Fortinet a note to let them know that the instructions they have online are now outdated as of 10.11.4.

I absolutely support Apple deprecating SHA1 and any other weak algorithms. It may have been documented somewhere in the technotes but I won't be surprised if this caught some orgs off guard. I imagine most orgs actually use the AnyConnect app though so maybe not.

Outliers everywhere :)

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 24, 2016

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Hey I'm going to have access to a web seminar next week and although afterwards I will have access to the recording, the access only lasts for a couple weeks. Is there a recommended piece of software that I can record it to my drive?
Assuming you mean videos, there's screen recorders, including QuickTime Player itself.

Otherwise what I've been able to do before with some online classes is download the source video itself by looking through the source or cache. Not sure how to do the latter in Safari but did it through Chrome (where about :cache is still a thing). Copy/pasted the URL into Safari's download window (or opt-return in the address field) to download since I couldn't figure out how to do that in Chrome :downs:

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

What is wrong with the Logitech drivers? I used the other one's before but the lack of forward and back made me switch to the Logitech drivers.

I use a Trackball though.

Back in the day, SetPoint on Mac was an awful program, so I'd been using Steermouse ever since, which did everything I wanted and more, including the very basic forward/back functionality.

Seeing the positive reports in yours and Mu Zeta's post prompted me to try the new Logitech Options software upon getting this swank MX Master, and within two days I've already had three or four issues with the software that I've had to resolve by unplugging the mouse, killing the daemon, or both, where the mouse's extra buttons just stop doing what they're assigned to do in Options. Also, I can't bind mouse button clicks beyond left/right/center (such as mouse 4 and 5)

Back to Steermouse I go, it would seem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Luceo posted:

Back in the day, SetPoint on Mac was an awful program, so I'd been using Steermouse ever since, which did everything I wanted and more, including the very basic forward/back functionality.

Seeing the positive reports in yours and Mu Zeta's post prompted me to try the new Logitech Options software upon getting this swank MX Master, and within two days I've already had three or four issues with the software that I've had to resolve by unplugging the mouse, killing the daemon, or both, where the mouse's extra buttons just stop doing what they're assigned to do in Options. Also, I can't bind mouse button clicks beyond left/right/center (such as mouse 4 and 5)

Back to Steermouse I go, it would seem.
You can use BetterTouchTool to bind buttons to back, forward, etc. That's what I used instead of the Logitech drivers with an M705 before I got a Magic Trackpad.