Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Vulture Culture posted:

Who was it that had the DOLLERS custom title for awhile?

SSH IT ZOMBIE

Methanar fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Guy I interviewed today sent me a thank you letter.

It opened with: Dear Matt

My name isn't Matt. :v:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

jaegerx posted:

Permabanned

Ah hah, it didn't say that in the post but I'm sure once Donald takes the presidency he'll let DaF back in the forum.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 19, 2016

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

Guy I interviewed today sent me a thank you letter.

It opened with: Dear Matt

My name isn't Matt. :v:

This is why you should always ask for a business card in an interview.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That's a good idea. I always just repeat their names at the beginning, and confirm them at the end. Hopefully that just makes me seem like I'm conscientious about remembering names rather than something negative.

At my last job's interview, I did ask the director to thank all of the other people who had come in that I didn't have addresses for. I misspelled one guy's name, but considering how far off it was from any spelling I have ever seen, he was probably used to it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Touchdown is owned by Symantec now. Nothing else really needs to be said.

It's hilarious that Symante would buy the mobile mail platform that looks stuck in the 90s.

Good for the Touchdown team though.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That's a good idea. I always just repeat their names at the beginning, and confirm them at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELYVpikRNEE

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I've used Touchdown for years, mostly because back then it was the only thing around and the company I worked for paid for it.

Does Nine do public folders/calendars? That's what I really need.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I loving hate Xerox.
I'm not even going to elaborate. Just, FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

Ugh. I don't hate Xerox, I hate the outsourced service model. The reality is their service guys can't support devices as well as internal IT people can - more often than not they go and factory reset poo poo and internal IT people then have to spend a bunch of time reconfiguring the drat device for SMTP\CIFS\etc.

The devices themselves are OK, and the drivers IMO are better than the HP Universal.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I don't want to hear any of you whine about email client. I'm stuck using Airwatch Inbox.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Side note\question
We have ~16000 employees now.

One of my co-workers, kinda co-worker, he's on a different team, has developed severe personality issues. To the point where his co-worker left - but it was more than just that reason. She left for a better paying job, and to escape other issues.

We made a team to deal with printers several years back, but the job role was very loosely defined.
I was involved with the hiring process as it used to be my role, before the role shifted to another team.

He's done a more than adequate job.

We live in a smaller city, honestly _excellent_ IT staff are few and far in between, and we don't pay as good as we should.

Ahh - long story short, one of our vendors had us do printing configuration for an app in a really awkward way, in talking with other customers no other customer does it this way. 4 years later it's actually causing maintenance issues during application upgrades.

The person who does printers does not know any scripting languages and doesn't feel like learning without compensatory motivation - ie a senior title or more pay.

One of the changes required for an app requires literally thousands of changes, doing it by hand would take weeks of full time data entry.

I _can_ script it, I offered to do it, if needed.
The guy who does printing refused to do the work, citing other workload. And his coworker just quit. They were looking at a contractor to do it but don't want to pay the cost.

Now they are thinking of doing an entire organizational reorg, shifting printer configuration back onto the apps teams, and dividing up his role to maybe 4-5 people.
They're doing that with the sole intention of moving him out of the IT team, but he turned down an offer for a horizontal move that they expected him to take.

This is going to cause severe issues for the org if they split this role up.

I personally think he is salvageable. He is a work horse, but needs direction, not quite bordering on micromanagement.

I've talked with my manager about shifting him onto our team, but others think it is a very, very bad idea.

I already turned down a supervisory position some time ago so I really should just stay out of it.
But the place is turning to poo poo due to merger infighting.

What the gently caress should I do?

1) Let it go, he will get fired maybe. It is hard to fire people. He might sue, honestly. He won't quit.

2) Push harder for my manager to get him on our team. The folks on our team who he'd have to work with don't want to work with him. I'm OK with working with him. I can backfill the person who left part time, filling in his inadequacies. He wants certain changes but won't put in the change control or effort to do it, thinking it falls on management to decide. Really it's within our power...I think it will un-disgruntle him.

3) Voice concerns to his manager - again. This is all supposed to be under wraps but literally everyone is talking about it. They're making a mountain out of a mole hill, I already said I would fill in the gap as a project based, one off task. Backfill the person who left, move on. Splitting the role is going to be horrible.

We've already lost so many loving people with key roles.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 19, 2016

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I just installed NINE because Gmail handles exchange conversations oddly.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Ugh. I don't hate Xerox, I hate the outsourced service model. The reality is their service guys can't support devices as well as internal IT people can - more often than not they go and factory reset poo poo and internal IT people then have to spend a bunch of time reconfiguring the drat device for SMTP\CIFS\etc.

The devices themselves are OK, and the drivers IMO are better than the HP Universal.

Xerox are our copiers, HP are our printers. My life is hell.

Guess what, they're pushing all of their machines toward the Xerox universal driver (which is still sorta broken) to the point that they refused to support one my my machines until I installed that particular driver instead of the PCL6 driver.

bull3964 posted:

I don't want to hear any of you whine about email client. I'm stuck using Airwatch Inbox.

We're in the process of getting Airwatch setup. What a loving poo poo show.
The installer that pushes the client to devices is broken. Despite being the 'only supported way' as well as the only way that it's listed in the documentation to install the client, support says that it does not and never will work on windows 8.1 devices, and to "just figure out how to manually install it."

Also, they installed 8.2 when setting up the service. We're supposed to be on 8.3, when we pointed this out, they said we have to install 8.2 and upgrade.
When the tech was done installing 8.2, he logged out and ended the call. When we called back about the upgrade, we were told that our level of support doesn't include upgrades, and that we'd have to pay them.

gently caress Airwatch. gently caress Xerox.
I'm about this close to just quitting and going back to a clusterfuck DIY-for-free Linux environment. At least poo poo would get accomplished.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I keep hoping that Airwatch gets dumped when we move to O365 later this year. The capabilities of Airwatch are barely being used, so I think it would be cheaper just to go with Intune.

Seriously though, you don't need Airwatch to enforce device encryption, enforce pin, and limit the email clients used. That's literally all it's being used for right now.

And even on the email client front, they barely anything is being done. The policy is simply restrict to default Activesync provider on the phone. Only problem is that Nexus devices don't have a registered default activesync provider. So, for anyone with Nexus or Motorola phones, you have to use AirWatch Inbox.

I know Nine works with Android for work and I know you can setup Airwatch to use Android for work, but that's not likely to be done anytime soon.

Oh well, not my circus or monkeys anymore. I was so happy to push email off to our new parent company late last year.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

bull3964 posted:

I keep hoping that Airwatch gets dumped when we move to O365 later this year. The capabilities of Airwatch are barely being used, so I think it would be cheaper just to go with Intune.

Seriously though, you don't need Airwatch to enforce device encryption, enforce pin, and limit the email clients used. That's literally all it's being used for right now.

And even on the email client front, they barely anything is being done. The policy is simply restrict to default Activesync provider on the phone. Only problem is that Nexus devices don't have a registered default activesync provider. So, for anyone with Nexus or Motorola phones, you have to use AirWatch Inbox.

I know Nine works with Android for work and I know you can setup Airwatch to use Android for work, but that's not likely to be done anytime soon.

Oh well, not my circus or monkeys anymore. I was so happy to push email off to our new parent company late last year.

I was doing my best to avoid Airwatch but then Verizon decided to dump Windows phones, and M$ straight up doesn't work yet.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

What the gently caress should I do?

We've already lost so many loving people with key roles.

Not sure if there's anything you can do in this situation. If you side with the disgruntled guy you're not putting yourself in a very good position with other co workers / management. It's really up to that guy whether he wants to work with the organization or not and if he wants to be a stick in the mud (like not learning scripting for an IT job without explicit pay raises) he's going to get what's coming to him.

Taking on new job responsibilities is one thing, but learning new tools to do your current job better is kind of a base requirement in the field.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

jaegerx posted:

Permabanned

Farewell DAF, you anime-loving, Trump-supporting, aspergers-ridden, family-hating storage-loving, apparently genuinely creepy, alcoholic psychopath.

We'll always have this thread title :unsmith:

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 19, 2016

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Don't forget alcoholic.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Should change thread title and destroy the phylactery

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Working in IT 3.01: SA will wait, servers/storage/network can not

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

SaltLick posted:

Should change thread title and destroy the phylactery

This thread is a horcrux

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

go3 posted:

Working in IT 3.01: SA will wait, servers/storage/network can not

gently caress this.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Working in IT 3.11 for Workgroups

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Jeoh posted:

Please this yes

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Working in IT 3.1: Hey this is a cool well

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Jeoh posted:

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Mods please do the needful

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Jeoh posted:

A quorum has been reached?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

SeaborneClink posted:

I don't even know how you'd figure that out for a forum thread.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I don't even know how you'd figure that out for a forum thread.

Speak now or forever :frogout:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

SeaborneClink posted:

Best practice would be to put our witness in another thread.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Working in IT 98 SE: Family can wait, servers/storage/network can not

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

H110Hawk posted:

This includes staycations. My living room has awful reception when I'm on vacation.

Solar flares, and whatnot.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Best practice would be to put our witness in another thread.
For redundancy, we could evict him from Something Awful and put him in another forum site entirely

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

Working in IT 98 SE: Family can wait, servers/storage/network can not
Working in IT 95: It is now safe to turn off your computer

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Working in IT Linux edition: Step 1) Disable SELinux

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

ratbert90 posted:

Working in IT Linux edition: Step 1) Disable SELinux
fighting words

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Working in IT Version 0.32: Virtualizing DAF's BAC

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Working in IT 4.0: The cloud solves everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Vulture Culture posted:

fighting words

I like SELinux :colbert: