Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
I like that the Tower's speed is shown as the CantFind status effect. It's just a really neat way to show off traditional anime bursts of speed, too fast for human eye to follow, in a limited engine.

It probably doesn't differ much from a standard Blindness status, but it's nice that they went and made an extra status effect to integrate story and gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

STAND UP:

Tower of Gray, used by Gray Fly (it's a Glenn Frey pun the wiki assures me). It's hella fast and is oddly obsessed with ripping out tongues when any other organ would suffice. Araki has something of a fixation on rhinoceros beetles, as seen in Part 6 and 8.

Also, speaking of Joseph and planes. And that's how he got his artificial hand. Good times. Good times.

Kaptain
Oct 5, 2014

Funky Valentine posted:

Also, speaking of Joseph and planes. And that's how he got his artificial hand. Good times. Good times.

Updated version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ_nZsTHmDs

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
I'd just like to point out that while they don't let Avdol fight because it might blow up the plane, you can still cause all the explosions you want in that fight with Napalm Death as your stand, which is funny to me.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Grizzwold posted:

I'd just like to point out that while they don't let Avdol fight because it might blow up the plane, you can still cause all the explosions you want in that fight with Napalm Death as your stand, which is funny to me.

"Avdol, you can't fight because it might blow up the plane. Now don't mind me as I launch projectiles everywhere that might pierce the fuselage."

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It takes... a certain mindset to crash a plane while you're on it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

To be fair, the plane was going to crash anyway. Joseph is just bringing it into an emergency landing.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The plane wouldn't have been in danger of crashing if Joseph weren't on it. :colbert:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

ChaosArgate posted:

The plane wouldn't have been in danger of crashing if Joseph weren't on it. :colbert:

I'm amazed Joseph got to Japan in the first place without causing a plane crash.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

The funny thing is that Joseph intentionally crashed the two planes in Battle Tendency, only for Stardust Crusaders to turn it around and make it so that just being on a plane with Joseph is enough to cause them to crash. But, keep in mind that he also took a plane to Japan in the first place with no incident.

It must be a power of Hermit Purple's: the ability to cause planes to crash in the presence of enemy Stand Users. :v:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Tomorrow's update gives us a week off from Lucia's adventures as we return to Jojo SFC and deal with game balance and how not to do it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Edit: I need to redo the audio. It'll be either later today or tomorrow.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 12, 2016

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Waffleman_ posted:

Edit: I need to redo the audio. It'll be either later today or tomorrow.

Clearly, these technical difficulties are the work of an enemy Stand.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

drat you, [CARELESS WHISPER]

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

:siren: UPDATE FOR REAL THIS TIME :siren:

Jojo SFC Episode 2: Silver and Gold OR Blue (Da Ba Dee) OR Monkey Man

We talk about some stuff in later parts, but it's mostly character names and not plot spoilers. Also you can hear Ven this time.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Here's what you can look forward to this week on Seventh Stand User:

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!

FYI, the manga does not explain how Polnareff is able to do this.
No, not even his Stand does this for him.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The anime shows it's his stand lifting him up, iirc.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Something about Silver Chariot moving really fast. Fast enough to lift him into the air.

Which doesn't explain why Silver Chariot is unable to lift him in a later fight. :psyduck:

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's not that strong to start with. And Pol was super beat up during it.

Fair enough.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 15, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I JUST NOTICED THE GAME SAYS POLAREFF THERE.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Something about Silver Chariot moving really fast. Fast enough to lift him into the air.

Which doesn't explain why Silver Chariot is unable to lift him in a later fight. :psyduck:

It's not that strong to start with. And Pol was super beat up during it.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Waffleman_ posted:

Here's what you can look forward to this week on Seventh Stand User:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDTSUwIZdMk

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Waffleman_ posted:

I thought that's why you posted it

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Waffleman_ posted:

It's his brother from the Arctic.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

So, just a heads up, I spent the day coming home for spring break and between you and me, I entirely intend to sleep until about noon tomorrow. Most likely, I'll have time to whip up the update, but depending on what happens, it may not come out until Sunday. Please understand.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat

Waffleman_ posted:

So, just a heads up, I spent the day coming home for spring break and between you and me, I entirely intend to sleep until about noon tomorrow. Most likely, I'll have time to whip up the update, but depending on what happens, it may not come out until Sunday. Please understand.

:v:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Cherry Poppin' Daddies actually own fyi

It's me, I'm the ska fan

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Episode 5: Chariots of Fire

Welcome to Hong Kong! It's not nearly as big or dense as Japan, but there's still a bit to do here. Unlike Japan, you're on a time limit for the rest of the game, so you can't carelessly use the inn, so to heal, use items. Get over hoarding your items by hoarding your days! I leveled my way up to level 10 here, and here's what I ran into along the way!

Murderdoll Lv1s are exactly the same as in Japan.

Martial Artists are the Delinquents of Hong Kong. Not super tough, decent experience, you'll probably be fighting these guys the most.

Green Hornets appear in groups of 2 or 3. They're not too tough either, except that they like to poison you. Luckily, they tend to drop a poison restorative. These were my second main source of EXP.

Burns is probably the toughest enemy in Hong Kong. He gives a lot of EXP, but he's a pain in the rear end to deal with, especially since we don't have any of his elemental weaknesses, water or ice. I pretty much avoided these guys.

Dio's followers are here, too...I guess Stand users really are drawn to each other.

That beggar will ask you for 1G at a time. If you give it to him 11 times, he'll be moved to tears and give you a Crazy DX, which increases your attack.

Mamma mia! A young couple in love!

I suppose this counts as using my Stand for good, hehe!

Skinny Man: N-Now might be my chance!

Cute Girl: It's beautiful...

Eeeee!

We actually got a bit of experience from that, aw!

Hot cola? That sounds absolutely unpleasant!

FUCKIN' GROSS.

No way! You're just a bully!

VS Freu

If we refuse, this guy will attack us with his Stand. He's not hard. You can either target him or his Stand, but he has less HP so.

Freu: I just got this special power, so I got carried away! *sob* I-I'm really sorry, so please leave me alone...

You'd better be sorry!

Beating Freu allows us access to this alley and another boss, who I totally didn't have to rechallenge after leveling up. The guy with the headband is a manga artist some people might find familiar who tells us about types of Stands that are material or immaterial and can affect physical objects.

I'm Utah. I work here as a bouncer in between my travels. So what do you say? Would you like to test your strength?

Of course I would! Bring it on, paizano!

VS Utah

Utah got me the first time I tried to fight him, but it went a lot better this time, due to my higher level and him not being as aggressive. He'll summon his stand Saints and a Burns after you attack, and like with Freu, you can target both to end the battle, but Utah has less HP so. Losing to Utah doesn't end in a Game Over, you just go back to the world map with 1 HP.

We can talk to Utah about a few things. He explains that his Stand can act automatically from him, which is why it counts as a different target. There are also Stands that are bound to their host, remote Stands, and Stands that share their body with their hose. He'll also say that there are other Stand users like him (read: midbosses) all over the world. I'd transcribe this stuff, but it's just basics of Stands that I can summarize much quicker. Also I'm lazy.

Well, I'd better meet up with the others.

If we get attacked by a Stand in the air again, we could put even more people's lives at risk! That leaves us land and sea! Those are the only safe ways to travel!

We can't afford to endanger Holly any further...

If it weren't for that plane crash, we'd be in Cairo now...

Tell me about it. Plus I lost all my clothes!

I'm well aware. But no fear! Someone once wrote a book about going around the world in 80 days, and that was back in the days of steam power!

Even without airplanes, we should be able to reach Dio in less than half that time. Here's what I'm thinking...If I can charter out a ship, we can take it all the way across Malaysia and through the Indian Ocean. Sort of like the Silk Road of the sea!

I'll get my mining rig ready.

I've never traveled either way, so I'll just follow your lead.

Same here.

And here.

I've only ever flown to Italy myself.

Of course, Dio's Stand users are going to be the biggest complication of all regardless of which route we take. What we should really be thinking about is how we're going to reach our destination undetected...Hmmm...

?...

Oh, don't you know? In Hong Kong, this means "refill, please."

Wow, you know a lot about this stuff...

Go bother someone else.

Hey, Jotaro, no need to be rude! Excuse him. I've been to Hong Kong enough times to be able to read a menu at least...What would you like? This one's shrimp, this one's duck...

...W-Wa-hahahahaha!! Well, eat up, everyone! It's all on me! All the food is good here, so it doesn't really matter what you order anyhow! Ahahahaha haaa...

...Di molto!...

Are you sure there's not a pasta place anywhere around? I miss Trussardi back home...

FANART CHALLENGE: Draw me Lucia enjoying a nice plate of pasta.

It's shaped like a star...Y'know, I feel like I've seen this before...

Di molto!

Oh, I remember. A friend of mine has a birthmark just like this on the base of his neck....

D-Don't tell me...

Are you a Stand user!?

Mr. Joestar, get out of the way!

A rapier! There's a rapier in the porridge!

It's a Stand!

The rapier slashed at the glames and they vanished!

Did he do that with his sword!?

Look! A Stand! One that looks like a knight!

Mohammed Abdul...It looks like it wants to take you on first...See the table over there? I've carved a clock out of it using your flames. When they reach 12, I will kill you!

That's some unbelievable swordsmanship...I've never seen anything like it.

Call me Polnareff! Jean Pierre Polnareff!

Merci beaucoup...It's very kind of you to introduce yourself. However...

Hmm!

Whoa! Abdul burnt half the table to ashes with a flick of his wrist!

These flames bend to my will. That's why I call my Stand Magician's Red!

Too much credit, he says...Ha!!

He skewered the coins with his sword, all in the blink of an eye!!

No...take a closer look!

He pierced Abdul's flames, too!

I-I see...You pierced my flames along with the coins...

It seems you understand why I did this. Call me what you like, but I am no braggart. My Silver Chariot can cut fast enough to slice through the air itself...

Therefore, your flames are nothing before my sword! My card, the Chariot, symbolizes victory and acts of aggression.

Such a one-sided battle isn't becoming of a noble Stand like mine. Shall we even the odds a bit.

We fade out and get a chance to save.

Why don't we take this somewhere a little less cramped? Allow me to show you to your deathbed...

What is this place!?

So Tiger Balm Garden is our battlefield...

Tiger Balm Garden was a garden built in Hong Kong by a wealthy businessman filled with sculptures depicting scenes of Chinese mythology and Confucianism. The Hong Kong garden featured here was sadly demolished in the early 2000s and turned into a residential area, but another garden, now known as Haw Par Villa, still operates in Singapore, and another garden was meant to be built in mainland China, but never got off the ground, though the spot now operates as a museum.

Here, you will be undone by your own Stand's power...

He seems pretty nonchalant about all this...

Abdul...

Stand back, Jotaro...It's as he said. My Stand performs best in open places such as these.

Do what you will. I'll eliminate all of you in due time, anyhow.

If we leave him to Abdul, he has a chance of gaining FP. If we choose another person, there's no effect. If we gang up on him, we'll lose FP and gain bad karma. So let's let Abdul handle it.

En garde!

It dodged Magician's Red's attack!

[i]Magician's Red dodged effortlessly!

VS Polnareff Round 1

Okay, so I lost this fight. And that's fine, you don't have to win it. All you miss out on is 70 EXP, which is really nothing. It's easier if you have the other guys with you, so Joseph and Kakyoin can use all-range attacks and Jotaro can use his good hitrate to hit him even when he's going fast.

drat it! He's making fools of us!

Hmhm...It goes nicely with the rest of the statues in the garden, don't you think?

...Looks like I'll have to get serious.

Ooh, this is getting interesting! Get ready!

Prepare yourself!

Crossfire Hurricane!

Hmph! Is that all you've got!? What a disappointment!

He deflected it back at Abdul!

Looks like my prediction was correct!

I'm not giffing any more flames, screw you.

W-What!? I thought I'd killed him for sure...! Where are the flames coming from!? ...Aah!

Finally caught on, did you? The flames made it hard to tell, but what you cut open was the statue you yourself carved! You thought it was the real thing because its melting joints caused it to move!

D-drat yoou!

This is the end of the line, Polnareff...Take this! Crossfire Hurricane!!

That was some battle!

Well, we'd better get going. Egypt's a long way off.

His Stand broke into pieces!!

Bastard...! He looks good as new aside from a couple of scrapes and bruises! And how is he floating in the air like that!?

Ha ha ha...Why don't you take a closer look?

No! How...!?

By all means, go ahead.

What you'd seen earlier wasn't my Stand being dismantled, but just the removal of its armor. What you'd burned was just the pieces of the armor...That did, in fact, damage me, but not considerably.

And now, without all that extra weight, you'll find that my Stand is quite fast indeed! The reason you couldn't see it life mt is because it's too fast for the naked eye!!

A lot of Stands are about being fast, huh?

I see...So what you're trying to say is that my Crossfire Hurricane was able to hit you because of the extra weight. But without that armor, the next hit will be fatal...You realize that, yes?

Well, yes...IF it hits! But it's impossible. You're about to see something that'll make you quake in your boots!

Well, please do show us.

W-What!? His Stand multiplied!!

How!? Stands are supposed to be one to a person!!

...just illusions created from my Stand's movements! Now, tell me...how does Silver Chariot's blade feel nowww!?

Again, a choice. If Abdul fights alone, he gets a boost, and if you fight alone, you get a lot of FP, but having everybody fight is the safest bet right now.

VS Polnareff Round 2

Welcome to the first hard boss! Polnareff has 7 Chariots and they're all fast and they'll all attack first. We'll have Lucia, Joseph, and Kakyoin use all-targets to take out the Chariots while Jotaro tries to get to Polnareff. Once we get rid of the Chariots, Polnareff will waste a turn to revive them, but they'll be very low HP, so once you get rid of them the first time, it's easy for you to get rid of them again. Also, near the end of the fight, I was lucky to get Polnareff confused, so he just attacked himself while we whaled on him. Those Chariots are trouble, but once you get rid of them, the fight becomes a bit easier.

I suppose Dio took advantage of him just like he did me.

It loks like he doesn't have any strength left to fight...Now, Jotaro!

Yeah, I'll extract it.

Yecch! Those tentacles always gross me out!

JOSEPH.

...Kakyoin. Don't guys that make stupid puns all the time piss you off?

Might as well kick back at the harbor a bit! It's been just one fight after another recently, so it'll be nice to relax for once. We'll meet up at the port up north afterwards. Have fun and take it easy, guys!

Well, planes are out. What chance is there of a boat ride going wrong too?

Next time: A boat ride goes wrong! Punch a shark!

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 20, 2016

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSOxqb1EnYk

Polnareff's Stand, Silver Chariot. Very fast, probably the...second or third fast Stand in Part 3. Like a more fragile Star Platinum that stabs things instead of punching them.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I really, really hope someone draws Lucia enjoying a nice Italian dish.

Especially if it's from a particular chef.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Now that you mention it, a fair number of the first few Stand battles are the users going "Look how fast my Stand is compared to yours".

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!
Fun fact: many Hong Kongers and Chinese enjoy boiled cola as both medicine and beverage. It's actually really common to see in restaraunts in Hong Kong.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It actually comes up in the series proper, where I think Joseph reacts to it with disgust, which is what I was referring to.

But it does sound like a seriously unpleasant experience.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

The reasoning for heating up cola for a medicinal use is that in traditional chinese medicine, basically stuff encouraged by Mao, is that cold liquids are considered unhealthy while hot liquids are considered good for you. It's weird and I wouldn't want to try it myself.

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~
It's like hot sweet tea, what is so scary about warm cola?
But I guess people find warm beer scary, too.

Can't wait to finish up part 3 so I can be ready for 4 in April.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Eh, I've had Coca Cola that's warmer than room temperature due to sitting in a hot car and it was alright. I can't imagine hot cola would be worse.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Gotta say, the part 5 heroes' cameo in the restaurant is a nice touch.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Boo, go back and do that boss fight correctly by beating the incredibly hard boss Solo.

Sonic Youth's actually has it really easy, I've found.Since you have access to Gust and Anthem. Just pump your defense until Polnareff is hitting like a babe. Another solution is blowback attacks. Multi-attacks are essential of course, but a Blowback attack can keep them all down, once they go down, they typically revive with HP for knockdown again.

also, you can pester the Dog wandering around for 500 gold,

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Onmi posted:

Boo, go back and do that boss fight correctly by beating the incredibly hard boss Solo.

I'm not confident enough in my ability at video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Rama of Ra posted:

It's like hot sweet tea, what is so scary about warm cola?
But I guess people find warm beer scary, too.

Can't wait to finish up part 3 so I can be ready for 4 in April.

Had a situation with hot soda in the past that had it end up as a sludge so that might be why. I'm not a fan of coke to begin with in the first place so it doesn't help.

• Locked thread