Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Her face is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It just hit me how ridiculously bullshit cap's shield is. Like let me calculate hitting the back of a chopper with the shield, have it bounce somewhere, then come back to me all while I'm in a loving moving train.

That's just some real donald in mathmagic land going on in Cap's head.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Daredevil does that with his billy clubs all the time and they're not even made of a magic material to justify it.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Captain America basically literally has Amadeus Cho's powers. The super soldier serum nowadays gave him impossible peak human calculation speeds, so he can basically do math to do anything impossible like that.

It's just not focused on like Cho.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

KittyEmpress posted:

Captain America basically literally has Amadeus Cho's powers. The super soldier serum nowadays gave him impossible peak human calculation speeds, so he can basically do math to do anything impossible like that.

It's just not focused on like Cho.

That's only a thing with the Ultimate version. I don't think an increase in intelligence or tactical ability was ever mentioned in the main continuity.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
At least they constantly told us Cyclops was a super-genius to be able to calculate optic blast ricochets.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

That's only a thing with the Ultimate version. I don't think an increase in intelligence or tactical ability was ever mentioned in the main continuity.

Quicker than average ability to react and analyze situations is a thing he's been stated as having before.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Quicker than average ability to react and analyze situations is a thing he's been stated as having before.

Well, I could be wrong, but I really can't think of any instance of such.

Toshimo posted:

At least they constantly told us Cyclops was a super-genius to be able to calculate optic blast ricochets.

He woulda made a hell of a pool shark.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Lurdiak posted:

He woulda made a hell of a pool shark.

This is why people hate mutants.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

God drat it Scott, "no powers" isn't racist, stop trying to shut down our baseball game.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Cyclops is one of the mary sue-iest mutants.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

God drat it Scott, "no powers" isn't racist, stop trying to shut down our baseball game.
Wolverine and Gambit played no-powers basketball. Wolverine got mad because Gambit has super-agility and can't really turn it off.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I had no idea Gambit had super-agility, although I'd expect an adamantium skeleton makes jumping a bit hard.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I'd call that more "I've got a literal half-ton of ballast I can't get rid of, gently caress you for being quick on your feet :mad:"

Now that I say that, I don't actually know how much his Adamantium weighs. I know it's a lot.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It weighs enough to let him walk on the bottom of the ocean like a terminator but not enough to keep him from moving "Too fast to follow! Uggh!"

It's best not to think about it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

I had no idea Gambit had super-agility, although I'd expect an adamantium skeleton makes jumping a bit hard.
Here's the sequence if you're so inclined. Like every X-Men sporting activity, it ends in a fight.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Lurdiak posted:

Well, I could be wrong, but I really can't think of any instance of such.

An issue or two after the one already posted he tells Sharon that he can see faster than normal people.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

It weighs enough to let him walk on the bottom of the ocean like a terminator but not enough to keep him from moving "Too fast to follow! Uggh!"

It's best not to think about it.

Hasn't Wolverine said drowning is one of the things that can outright kill him? His healing factor can't create oxygen.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I'd call that more "I've got a literal half-ton of ballast I can't get rid of, gently caress you for being quick on your feet :mad:"

Now that I say that, I don't actually know how much his Adamantium weighs. I know it's a lot.

OHOTMU Deluxe Edition (from the '80s) says lists Wolverine's weight as 195 pounds.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

team overhead smash posted:

This is why people hate mutants.

Their poor fashion sense?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Hasn't Wolverine said drowning is one of the things that can outright kill him? His healing factor can't create oxygen.

I think it came up as a way to kill daken in UFX.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

I think the bigger issue is that he's like 5 foot tall, Woverine's supposed to be the size of a super-ripped Danny DeVito.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

as far as i know his and pool's factors are the same? if wolvies isnt stronger? he has regenerated from a nuke so I doubt drowning would cause him to decompose or suffer organ failure of any kind so if you got him out of the water and got the water out of his lungs he would eventually start breathing again?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
The Survived a Nuke thing fell out of canon like a month after it happened. Everybody but the guy who wrote it said , "that's dumb, it never happened" and had a few call outs about how it could never happen.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

AkumaHokoru posted:

as far as i know his and pool's factors are the same? if wolvies isnt stronger? he has regenerated from a nuke so I doubt drowning would cause him to decompose or suffer organ failure of any kind so if you got him out of the water and got the water out of his lungs he would eventually start breathing again?

His healing factor works on the ability of "whoever's writing him at the time". Drowning totally killed his kid though, so that's how people presume it can work on Wolverine himself.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
It didn't kill Draken it made him brain dead. He got better.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

SirDan3k posted:

It didn't kill Draken it made him brain dead. He got better.

No he was resurrected by Apocalypse twins.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

bobkatt013 posted:

No he was resurrected by Apocalypse twins.

That's a kind of better.

Wolverine's healing is basically magic. Which is why you need either magic (cursed demon blood sword) or apply real world 'logic' (encase him in cement and park a steamroller on top of him) to overcome it. By the way, that last one is my go to answer for any supposed immortal. "He can't be killed." Great, then this doesn't count as murder.

poo poo, in the Ultimate universe he survived as just a head. Didn't need to breathe and yet without lungs or much of a throat he could still talk. That's straight up magic.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
"In X-Men 247, Wolverine is shown to be unable to regrow his lost arm, yet in the very next issue my dear he clearly has two again."
"Yeah, whenever you notice something like that, it's from his healing factor.
"Yes, alright, yes, but in issue 371-"
"Healing factor."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

ManiacClown posted:

OHOTMU Deluxe Edition (from the '80s) says lists Wolverine's weight as 195 pounds.

Marvel vs. DC had a bunch of profiles and I recall Wolverine's claiming that his skeleton weighs 100 pounds.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
There are a lot of older issues that establish things about characters' powers which are later contradicted as the "widescreen" trend comes into play.

It used to be that Cap could chuck his shield around due to practice, skill, and I think there was at least a point in time where he had magnets built into his glove and its strap. He was not yet pulling off the eight-way trick shots that he now does as a matter of course, however, and I have to blame that on "widescreen" power creep.

Similarly, there used to be a few ways you could reliably kill Wolverine, and then people tried them and they didn't work. Same deal. Slitting his throat would've done it at one point, but not anymore.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Wolverine used to be eminently kill-able. In some of his earlier spats with Spider-Man it was explicitly stated that breaking his neck would kill him, because that was a weak point in his adamantium skeleton and his healing factor couldn't fix his nervous system fast enough before his body just shut down for good. Also, his healing factor didn't reach his brain tissue - kill his brain, and Wolverine's dead.

Then power creep happened.

I might be wrong, but I think the power creep didn't kick into high gear until Magneto removed all of Wolvie's adamantium in X-Men #25.

IIRC, that was an idea Peter David jokingly pitched at one of Marvel's writer's retreats. The other writers there took it seriously because they loved the visuals. PD tried to shoot it down, saying that it would basically make Wolverine God, that he'd have no skeleton, that his brain is encased in adamantium and so it would go with the adamantium, etc. But it still happened anyway.

A lot of readers thought that was a very badass moment, both at the time and since. Even at the time, though, I remember thinking it was pretty dumb - way out of reach for the scale of his healing factor as I understood it. YMMV, really.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The semi-recent mini-series Wolverine: The Best There Is explored the power creep of his healing factor a bit.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Does Magneto typically have 'metal-destabilizing' powers too, or was it just a way to get the adamantium off his bones? Because I think it would've been more horrific (or perhaps too horrific) if it was just a case of "I'm gonna roleplay as Munigant (He of the Extraordinary Cures) right now and pull out your skeleton".

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

CzarChasm posted:

poo poo, in the Ultimate universe he survived as just a head. Didn't need to breathe and yet without lungs or much of a throat he could still talk. That's straight up magic.

Deadpool has done that, although that's less magic and more Deadpool being able to do anything if a writer thinks it'll be a good sight gag.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I remember that that arc happened right when I was hitting the age of being able to make critical evaluations of things instead of just assuming that if it was in front of me and I was paying attention to it, then it must rule. That particular scene, along with Robin Williams' Toys and We're Back: A Dinosaur's Story really stick in my mind as things I obsessed over for a little while, trying to figure out why, despite hinging on things I liked-- dinosaurs, toys, being back, Wolverine, gross stuff-- I couldn't help but have the nagging suspicion that they sucked.

In this case, I stick with what I thought when I was six. It's a neat visual, and a fine way to make Magneto seem scarier after a few anemic years, but it would seem to necessitate forcing a decision that nobody in the X-Men bullpen at the time wanted a make. If you decide to give Magneto this moment, you really, really need to commit to either killing off Wolverine or fundamentally changing him as a character. And sure, I guess a few years later he's running around with no nose, but in the Larry Hama comic and elsewhere around that time, he was still essentially the same guy, just with grosser looking claws and slightly different modulations of grunting and brooding.

"Magneto rips Wolverine's bones out and totally kills him" is not unproblematic from the perspective of the X-Men office as it existed in the early 90s because, well, it takes a hugely profitable and popular property off the table. "Magneto rips Wolverine's bones out and I guess he meditates for a while in the backyard and when he comes back inside he's grumpy" is not a perfect solution either, because it's dumb as a plot beat and it also really does demand rewriting the rules of how his powers work in such a way that you're also rewriting the rules of how danger and risk work in Wolverine stories which are, for better or for worse, also a sizable chunk of all X-Men stories. Or as I recall thinking when I put that issue down 23 years ago (what the gently caress?), "Wolverine getting his bones messed up looks cool-- but either Wolverine is dead, which is sad and makes me not want to buy X-Men comics anymore, or Wolverine is not dead, which is confusing, and makes me aware that this comic is just a story in a way that makes me feel sort of bored and mad, which also makes me not want to buy X-Men comics anymore. I guess I sort of wish that cool thing hadn't happened."

What I felt no ambiguity about back then, though, was that the Gambit hologram on the cover was very rad.

PS. It occurs to me that within that story-line, you have Magneto ripping out Wolverine's bones at the same time as Colossus joins the Acolytes, theoretically putting to bed the whole "why doesn't he just just fling those guys around by their metal bits" issue. If I'm not mistaken this was also around the hey-day of Archangel as a character people were willing to put up with-- did 90's Magneto ever do anything tricky with 90's Angel's wings, or was there some sort of "rare Apocalypse metal" hand-wave?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Deadpool has done that, although that's less magic and more Deadpool being able to do anything if a writer thinks it'll be a good sight gag.

I'm probably blanking on a different "Deadpool as just a head" gag but if you mean Headpool, he was also a zombie, which definitely complicates things.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

MisterBibs posted:

Does Magneto typically have 'metal-destabilizing' powers too, or was it just a way to get the adamantium off his bones?
It's not too much of a change from "Mags picks up an iron/steel girder and bends it around [X-Person]" type of stuff.

I mean yeah, it should come out like noodles instead of Omega Redticles, and Adamantium was supposed to be like unmalleable once hardened or whatever but a lot of poo poo is in flux anyway (Wolverine has adamantium bones vs adamantium is bonded/plated to his skeleton).

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

I'm probably blanking on a different "Deadpool as just a head" gag but if you mean Headpool, he was also a zombie, which definitely complicates things.

It happened in Thunderbolts. Punisher thought the team was out to kill him, so he struck back against them. There's a scene where you see Deadpool's face as he and Frank have a calm conversation about what's happening. Deadpool's all understanding and also flattered that Frank sees him as a threat. Then we see that Frank's actually holding Deadpool's head so he can shove pieces of him into vibranium jars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Falstaff posted:

Also, his healing factor didn't reach his brain tissue - kill his brain, and Wolverine's dead.

Hulk had the right idea on how to incapacitate Wolverine - make him temporarily punch drunk.