Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Imagine Spielberg doing Warcraft instead of TinTin. Or maybe don't, things are good the way they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the worst part is the "hot" half orc.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

the worst part is the "hot" half orc.

Paula Patton slam outta nowhere.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Garona has always been one of their bad design choices.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bacontotem posted:

Garona has always been one of their bad design choices.

And story choices.

Thank goodness the central Alliance character of Warlords of Draenor was quickly changed in beta from being Garona's mother (via gang rape and sexual slavery).

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

3 DONG HORSE posted:

The CGI looks better than the first trailer but it might be the editing or the alcohol

It was the booze. This looks like poo poo.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I still don't understand why it's not full CG.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I still don't understand why it's not full CG.

Seriously. Blizzard cinematics are loving gorgeous. Even in these trailers the actual CGI looks pretty good as long as actual humans or props aren't around. Such a waste.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Seriously. Blizzard cinematics are loving gorgeous.

This was insane for 2002:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofvkE0BK4T0&t=31s

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

poo poo, that looks good now.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

CJ posted:

Lothar and Khadgar don't look like movie stars. Every scene with them in it looks like some lovely low budget TV show on the Syfy channel.

This is all I can think when I see them. They make this look like eragon.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

LORD OF BUTT posted:

poo poo, that looks good now.

Certainly looks better than the movie!

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

they had to put live action people in their CGI movie because if they didn't the marketing firms would tell them they'd make no money on their new first-in-an-endless-franchise-hopeful film

the world has yet to embrace animation thats not kid-centric unless its humor-based stuff like simpsons or whatever. sausage party shows how being an adult animated comedy can get dumb poo poo greenlit but if you're not a comedy you cant get it made

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah the orcs back then were more like the goofy warhammer orcs than the noble savages they are now (due to i'm assuming a series of dumb as poo poo retcons by metzen).

Yes turning the orcs from goofy cartoon caricatures into actual three dimensional characters is a dumb as poo poo retcon. What?

Metzen's not exactly the world's best writer, but it's not like he ruined anything in Warcraft. The first two games barely had any writing to speak of, and certainly nothing that can be considered great. The blanks were filled in retrospectively or through novels.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Also even though they tried to tell more serious stories it's not like those games aren't still loving full of non-stop goofy poo poo. Like I'm not gonna say that whole dynamic worked, but there's nothing wrong with them trying.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm not so sure "Noble Savages" is that much deeper or three dimensional than "Stupid evil monsters".

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Blizzard should bring back Warcraft Adventures and hand it off to TellTale Games.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I saw the trailer before Store Wares and it looks a lot better on a proper screen than it does on compressed-to-poo poo streaming video.

Still in no way expecting this to be good, though.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Bimmi posted:

I saw the trailer before Store Wares and it looks a lot better on a proper screen than it does on compressed-to-poo poo streaming video.

Still in no way expecting this to be good, though.

I saw it in front of Star Wars on a 70mm IMAX screen and it looked just as lovely

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Seriously. Blizzard cinematics are loving gorgeous. Even in these trailers the actual CGI looks pretty good as long as actual humans or props aren't around. Such a waste.

Apparently it takes Blizzard like a year to make 3 minute long CGI trailers so that might have something to do with it.

Also Blizzard is a game company, not a film company. Last time someone tried doing that we got The Spirits Within. Let them stick to something they're actually good at.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

GonSmithe posted:

I saw it in front of Star Wars on a 70mm IMAX screen and it looked just as lovely

Babby Thrall is a forehead-smackingly bad effect in any format.

And I think when all is said and done, no amount of technical prowess is going to make the union of weirdo cartoon creatures and blandly attractive humans into a thing that works.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 20, 2016

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Steve2911 posted:

Yes turning the orcs from goofy cartoon caricatures into actual three dimensional characters is a dumb as poo poo retcon. What?

Metzen's not exactly the world's best writer, but it's not like he ruined anything in Warcraft. The first two games barely had any writing to speak of, and certainly nothing that can be considered great. The blanks were filled in retrospectively or through novels.

not all stories need three dimensional characters (and they didn't make them three dimensional characters) and a lot of the times it's just better to leave blanks. sometimes it's fun just to have goofy warrior guys from another dimension in a story that doesn't take itself too seriously. usually the best games have little writing anyway - a big issue with their more recent games is just spoon feeding you exposition and poo poo.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!

FreudianSlippers posted:

I'm not so sure "Noble Savages" is that much deeper or three dimensional than "Stupid evil monsters".

As a whole. To Metzen's credit, he really sees Thrall as the main character of the series.

That's about as far as I'll go praising him. He has two notes: characters falling (mostly through magic, he doesn't write actual motivations well), and characters being redeemed (also through magic but he has at least some instinct for what might motivate a face turn).

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Warcraft 3 was great but it was still a bummer when I liked the orcs in Warcraft II because they built grimdark black skull fortresses and tamed dragons and summoned undead necromancers and then Warcraft III orcs were like "All that stuff is bad and wrong and we'll never do it again, we're tribal warriors now."

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!

Tender Bender posted:

Warcraft 3 was great but it was still a bummer when I liked the orcs in Warcraft II because they built grimdark black skull fortresses and tamed dragons and summoned undead necromancers and then Warcraft III orcs were like "All that stuff is bad and wrong and we'll never do it again, we're tribal warriors now."

Honestly, I think this comes down to a failure to make the alternative nearly metal enough.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Apparently it takes Blizzard like a year to make 3 minute long CGI trailers so that might have something to do with it.

Also Blizzard is a game company, not a film company. Last time someone tried doing that we got The Spirits Within. Let them stick to something they're actually good at.

ILM is doing all the CGI for this film.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Hodgepodge posted:

As a whole. To Metzen's credit, he really sees Thrall as the main character of the series.

That's because he is. It's central to half the bitching in the WoW lore thread; getting upset when the main character / hero of the series gets the main character / hero moments.

Tender Bender posted:

These were mandatory if you were going to have a "new bad guy comes in, both sides need to work together" storyline that 3 had. More on a pretentious note, there was a shift from "These guys are the Incorruptible Good Guys, these guys are the Devilish Bad Guys" theme in gaming and (arguably) in most media at that time.

Funny thing is, the fact that 3 decided to basically restart the series (with the older stuff being retconned or ignored) is what is going to make this movie so damned lovely. It's trying to do Warcraft 1 with Warcraft 3 sensibilities, so you're going to have to split a two-faction story into a four-faction story (Good Openminded Humans, Bad Racist Humans, Good Tribal Orcs, Bad Demon Orcs) and it's just doing to be overly messy and predictable.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 20, 2016

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!

MisterBibs posted:

That's because he is. It's central to half the bitching in the WoW lore thread; getting upset when the main character / hero of the series gets the main character / hero moments.

I think on some level, at least when I played the game, there was a failure to see the player's character as someone who was building towards being an equal to the main characters. By the time you are raiding, the story should assume that you are working on some level with the main characters of your faction and that they get their moments, and when you get your own it is equivalent to that of the big important NPC. From what I understand, the game got better at this after Burning Crusade, so if they haven't managed to handle "the PC is one of several awesomely metal heroes and get their share of moments so it feels like they are interacting with the story as one of the primary protagonists" then they'll probably never get it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Burning Crusade was before my time, but from what I understand of the history of WoW, people initially bitched that the players were getting canon credit for doing X, because how could they compare to The Heroes? So Blizzard decided to start making it that The Heroes were doing This or That, and that made other people upset because they had been raiding Boss X and why is Hero Y getting credit for killing Boss X?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!

MisterBibs posted:

Burning Crusade was before my time, but from what I understand of the history of WoW, people initially bitched that the players were getting canon credit for doing X, because how could they compare to The Heroes? So Blizzard decided to start making it that The Heroes were doing This or That, and that made other people upset because they had been raiding Boss X and why is Hero Y getting credit for killing Boss X?

Honestly, it's hard to say. We're going by fanbase complaints, which could actually indicate Blizzard actually getting things right just as easily as it could actual mistakes.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Blizzard should've made a buddy cop movie with Raynor and Fenix just kickin' rear end and running out of gum together

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

MisterBibs posted:

Funny thing is, the fact that 3 decided to basically restart the series (with the older stuff being retconned or ignored) is what is going to make this movie so damned lovely. It's trying to do Warcraft 1 with Warcraft 3 sensibilities, so you're going to have to split a two-faction story into a four-faction story (Good Openminded Humans, Bad Racist Humans, Good Tribal Orcs, Bad Demon Orcs) and it's just doing to be overly messy and predictable.

Episode 1

Orcs vs Humans

War! Stormwind is crumbling under attacks by the ruthless Orcish Horde. There are heroes and villains on both sides. Evil is everywhere.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MisterBibs posted:

Nah, it's not really going to be 4 factions, at most it'll be 2 splitting into 3 by the end of it. You'll have Orcs and Humans and both sides will fight regardless of how they feel about one another, and then at the end some of the Good Orcs & Humans might try to team up to make peace.

But it'l fail because Thrall is Moses so his people must be enslaved.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

I said come in! posted:

Blizzard should bring back Warcraft Adventures and hand it off to TellTale Games.

I will remember you said that.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

computer parts posted:

Nah, it's not really going to be 4 factions, at most it'll be 2 splitting into 3 by the end of it. You'll have Orcs and Humans and both sides will fight regardless of how they feel about one another, and then at the end some of the Good Orcs & Humans might try to team up to make peace.

But it'l fail because Thrall is Moses so his people must be enslaved.

I think we're generally agreeing; I figure it'll be a story where the Sensible Folks from both sides try and work towards a happy ending, but the rear end in a top hat Folks from each side are too keen on being Assholes and prevent it from happening.

I just think it'll be messy trying to keep everything afloat, especially if you're gunning for more than the folks who know Warcraft lore like the back of their hand. "So the green guys and the brown guys are the same people? So why are they fighting? Who is making them green?"

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Steve2911 posted:

Noble savages are racist and boring, a real winner.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

I think we're generally agreeing; I figure it'll be a story where the Sensible Folks from both sides try and work towards a happy ending, but the rear end in a top hat Folks from each side are too keen on being Assholes and prevent it from happening.

I just think it'll be messy trying to keep everything afloat, especially if you're gunning for more than the folks who know Warcraft lore like the back of their hand. "So the green guys and the brown guys are the same people? So why are they fighting? Who is making them green?"

If they make a second movie, at least it'll be about evil Orcs because all the good ones are dead/not in a position to do jack poo poo. Well, maybe. I stopped playing WoW before the first expansion so I don't know how much is retconned by now.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

3 DONG HORSE posted:

If they make a second movie, at least it'll be about evil Orcs because all the good ones are dead/not in a position to do jack poo poo. Well, maybe. I stopped playing WoW before the first expansion so I don't know how much is retconned by now.

All of it, 5 times over.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I said come in! posted:

They did manage to make good story-based games out of The Walking Dead and Borderlands after all.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Noble savages are racist and boring, a real winner.

See also: JK Rowling's depiction of Native Americans in her in-universe documentary about American magic in the Harry Potter world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Hodgepodge posted:

I think on some level, at least when I played the game, there was a failure to see the player's character as someone who was building towards being an equal to the main characters. By the time you are raiding, the story should assume that you are working on some level with the main characters of your faction and that they get their moments, and when you get your own it is equivalent to that of the big important NPC. From what I understand, the game got better at this after Burning Crusade, so if they haven't managed to handle "the PC is one of several awesomely metal heroes and get their share of moments so it feels like they are interacting with the story as one of the primary protagonists" then they'll probably never get it.

This poo poo is why WoW irrevocably hosed the lore. Every single triumph or plot point reads "some guys took down X" or "a small band of adventurers saved the world by Y". If they ever actually try to make a character do a thing or take credit, people moan as if that's a bad thing.

I'd take Thrall as a protagonist over an assortment of nameless heroes any day. Hell I'd even take Varian.

• Locked thread