Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
So as far as potty training goes do I just follow him around the house until he starts peeing and then scold him until he gets the idea that he can only pee outside? There's no warning with sniffing around in circles he'll just stop what he's doing and immediately start peeing. I treat him every time he pees outside but I don't see what will teach him peeing indoors is bad unless I let him do it a bunch and scold him every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
http://www.clickertraining.com/housetraining

Don't get in the habit of scolding him for things. For that to work, psychologically speaking, you have to catch him exactly right just when he's starting whatever. It's unlikely you can be accurate enough, consistently enough, and you're much more likely to just make him anxious and afraid.

You want to set up the environment in your favor (i.e. take him outside a lot, keep him in the crate when you can't watch, etc) and use positive reinforcement (reward him like hell when he pees outside) and his behavior will shift over time. What does he like? Food? Mine likes food. Especially cheese, chicken, that kind of thing. Toys? Mine wouldn't give a toy the time of day at first.

Might be a good idea to sign yourself up for a couple dog training classes if these ideas and the clicker stuff seem like mystical gibberish or aren't coming naturally. Make sure you go with the Karen Pryor / clicker mindset and not the Cesar Millan / alpha / pack poo poo

Did he come straight from the track? It sounds like maybe the rescue didn't spend a lot of time fostering him.

slap me silly fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 3, 2016

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah, I'm only scolding if he is literally peeing as I say "No". As far as I can tell he's peeing every 2 hours or so. Between 5:30 and 10:00 today he's peed 3 times, first was outside during his walk and the other two were inside. Does that mean I need to take him out every 90 minutes? He never has a problem going when he's out he just also has no qualms about doing it in the house. Like I said I click and give him a doggy treat every time he pees outside. I follow him around the house when he's not in his crate and as far as I can tell he acts completely normal before he starts peeing. He's the same way outside, stops mid stride and pees. I'm not seeing the pre-elimination indicators.

Everything you're saying makes sense and I feel like I'm following all the guides I see online. Is it a matter of time? I don't mind cleaning up the messes I just want to make sure what I'm doing is gradually discouraging going inside in addition to encouraging going outside.

e: Yes, he's straight from the track.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Yeah if you catch him mid-pee give him a firm but not scary "no", he should stop right away. You then take him outside immediately so he can do it in an appropriate place and get praised. The second part was really important when I was house training Gannon. He didn't get fostered in a home either.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah, all the guides I read said a firm no should stop them from peeing. This guy just kept going til he finished. I will try to praise more when outside though.

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.
Your dog doesn't speak English and has no idea what no means. If the dog is peeing in the house, it's not the dog's fault. You need to set the dog up for success.

Start taking him out every hour and keep praising him when he goes outside. Only increase the interval between potty breaks when he's had a long period of success. Disassociate going outside to potty with going outside for other things like walks. If he starts to go inside, interrupt him by picking him up and immediately take him outside to finish. If you scold him for going inside he's just going to learn how to potty inside in places you won't notice right away. Check out Ian Dunbar's website, he has very good articles about housebreaking.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Yes I'm doing potty breaks every 90 minutes or so now. All the websites I've read said to go with a stern "no" if you catch them mid pee. Obviously he doesn't understand English but everything I've read suggests he understands tone. Picking him up and taking him outside isn't really an option because he's 65 pounds and would proceed to spray pee all over the house/me if I were to carry him outside while he's going. Also I'm watching him anytime he's not lying down, it would be impossible for him to go in a place I wouldn't notice.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 4, 2016

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Perhaps you might try maybe one of those waist jacket things? Don't remember what they're called, but basically just a wrap that goes around the belly so the dog would be uncomfortable if he peed with it on. You could probably improvise one with an old hoodie or something.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
He's been doing pretty well with going out every 2 hours so far. No accidents since then. I'll slowly increase the time between potty breaks as the weeks go on. Big thing now is just getting him used to the cats so he doesn't whine/whimper/bark when he sees them. I've been taking him upstairs to the cats for about 10 minutes before dinner and clicking + feeding him as long as he remains calm.

Does whimpering/whining necessarily mean he's scared? He sounds pretty freaked out but I'm not super familiar with dog body language. He'll sometimes try to lunge after them when he's not in his crate after he whines.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 9, 2016

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Reading your guys' posts makes me realize just how lucky I am to have a dog door for Jake.

Jake's former kennel owner from the track keeps popping up in my Facebook "People you may know" feed. His profile photo is of him holding Jake. I gotta say it's a weird feeling seeing your dog in someone else's photo!

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

bamhand posted:

He's been doing pretty well with going out every 2 hours so far. No accidents since then. I'll slowly increase the time between potty breaks as the weeks go on. Big thing now is just getting him used to the cats so he doesn't whine/whimper/bark when he sees them. I've been taking him upstairs to the cats for about 10 minutes before dinner and clicking + feeding him as long as he remains calm.

Does whimpering/whining necessarily mean he's scared? He sounds pretty freaked out but I'm not super familiar with dog body language. He'll sometimes try to lunge after them when he's not in his crate after he whines.

That's because it's not an "I'm scared" whine, it's probably "oh god gently caress yes small furry thing that RUNS I chase I chase I GRAB please boss let me chase!!".

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
picking up this little 9 week old whippet this weekend:

we're going to start clicker training once he's settled into our home and acquainted with our cat. I've been reading some online guides, is there one thats considered the best/most comprehensive? any special considerations for sighthounds?

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

:3: look at dat fuggin whippet

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Any advice on dog parks? First time dog owner and I've never been to one. I've read some groups discourage taking greys to dog parks at all.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

bamhand posted:

Any advice on dog parks? First time dog owner and I've never been to one. I've read some groups discourage taking greys to dog parks at all.

Be very careful the first few times you go and watch it like a hawk, particularly if there are any small dogs there that might trigger a reaction.

The one we go to has some very good dog owners though who keep an eye on their dogs and Reese is enough of a sperg to spend half his time walking around alone smelling everything, so it has never been a problem. We took him around to pet stores and pet expos first though and noted he is non-aggressive towards other dogs, so that helped our confidence level.

Nor sure if it is encouraged or discouraged to put on their muzzle the first time or two you take the dog though - might freak out other owners.

If you really aren't sure about it, you may want to go without the dog first to see what the atmosphere is like, or let your hound sniff and interact through the fences first to look for problems before taking them inside.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I've taken him to parks on leash and he gets antsy with about 1/3 of small dogs and ignores the rest. I believe my local park has separate areas for small and large dogs though. His reaction around medium/large dogs has been indifference or excitement with lots of tail wagging and wanting to go over and sniff. I've never had him off leash outside so my main concern is I'm a bit nervous about that. But the tail wagging and jumping up and down around dogs when he's on leash is not a sign of aggression right?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Welp just gave up my dog to a foster home since I started working 12+ hour shifts and that would've been a lovely life for her. You were a good dog, even though your breath stank like fish, and you diarrhea poo poo in my car that one time. Despite the fact that you spent 99% of the time immobile, asleep under a blanket, the house feels a bit lonelier now. Good dog, enjoy your new life. :byewhore:

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Dog tries to gas me to death every day. Normal?

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

bamhand posted:

100%.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

bamhand posted:

The severity and frequency of the death farts can be reduced with a consistent and healthy diet combined with scheduled bathroom breaks. It'll also be less of a problem as the dog gets used to his new environment and is less stressed out. No matter what though you're gonna have to deal with some nasty farts so hopefully you can find your inner 12 year old and laugh about it.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah it's actually a lot better now than a month ago when I first got him.

He's been having some diarrhea on and off for the past week or so, should I be worried? It's like every other bowel movement is more liquidy than normal. He was at the vet two days ago and I said that it had mostly gotten better since he had 2 solid movements in a row and they weren't very concerned. This morning it was a bit runnier than normal. He hasn't eaten anything unusual besides starting a vitamin supplement + skin supplement (I think it's fish oil or something similar) at the suggestion of my vet on Wednesday.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Death farts definitely normal. Stay away from feeding hot dog bits at your mortal peril.

Reese had loose stools for the first several months we had him. We tried all kind of types of food (vet recommend, goon recommended, natural dog food store recommended) probiotics, chicken and rice and nothing worked until the vet tried a high fiber diet. The change was noticeable immediately and two years later if we run out of the prescription food and have to substitute store bought the dog walker still writes us notes that it's is loose.

If it doesn't continue to improve, to out what is going on with your pup you may have to work with your vet to start down the adventuresome path of trial and error. Good luck.

Fake edit: I think we need more pictures of said hound, you know, for science.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I still don't think the hot dog farts were that bad but I did work at a kennel in 100 degree heat one summer so maybe I am less sensitive to animal odors.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

You can add a tablespoon or two of canned pumpkin puree to his food to help firm up the stool a bit. It's also one of those things that will be less of an issue once he gets used to his diet and is less stressed out by being in a new environment. It probably won't ever go away completely. Gannon will usually drop one good firm stool on a walk and then squeeze out a soft/runny one further down the street. If you slide a piece of newsprint under the dog it'll help with the pickup. I just keep some old flyers with the dog bags.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Lagomorphic posted:

You can add a tablespoon or two of canned pumpkin puree to his food to help firm up the stool a bit. It's also one of those things that will be less of an issue once he gets used to his diet and is less stressed out by being in a new environment. It probably won't ever go away completely. Gannon will usually drop one good firm stool on a walk and then squeeze out a soft/runny one further down the street. If you slide a piece of newsprint under the dog it'll help with the pickup. I just keep some old flyers with the dog bags.

Yeah I've been having your experience with the one firm one and then the drippy followup up. Great idea about the news print. I've been feeding him some pumpkin with his dinner and it doesn't seem to do much besides turn his poop orange. He was doing well for a couple weeks and then had a bout of 2-3 days of diarrhea. Now it's alternating every one or two bowel movements.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

various cheeses posted:

Welp just gave up my dog to a foster home since I started working 12+ hour shifts and that would've been a lovely life for her. You were a good dog, even though your breath stank like fish, and you diarrhea poo poo in my car that one time. Despite the fact that you spent 99% of the time immobile, asleep under a blanket, the house feels a bit lonelier now. Good dog, enjoy your new life. :byewhore:

That is very glib but I enjoyed reading your updates and seeing pics of your pup bundled in blankets. I'm sorry she had to go to a new home, but I agree it was the right decision with such long work days. You'd never have gotten to see each other. It must have been pretty tough, you don't have to act like a cool guy who doesn't care!

naig
Jan 25, 2006

"crawl, walk, and then run"

Lagomorphic posted:

The severity and frequency of the death farts can be reduced with a consistent and healthy diet combined with scheduled bathroom breaks. It'll also be less of a problem as the dog gets used to his new environment and is less stressed out. No matter what though you're gonna have to deal with some nasty farts so hopefully you can find your inner 12 year old and laugh about it.

Death farts of my spanish greyhound almost disappeared after using some old wooden storage box to raise her food and water cups 3-4 inches from the floor level. Less air goes in, I guess.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

I'm afraid this guy is going to that big sofa in the sky pretty soon. He's lost a ton of weight and has low blood cell counts - probably cancer of some sort. Not gonna do a bone marrow biopsy under anesthesia to find out the details, because he's twelve and a half. I'm sure I'll shed a tear for him when it comes, but he's had a good life :3:

E: working hard:

slap me silly fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 20, 2016

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

slap me silly posted:

I'm afraid this guy is going to that big sofa in the sky pretty soon. He's lost a ton of weight and has low blood cell counts - probably cancer of some sort. Not gonna do a bone marrow biopsy under anesthesia to find out the details, because he's twelve and a half. I'm sure I'll shed a tear for him when it comes, but he's had a good life :3:

E: working hard:

So sorry to hear. I hope you can enjoy the time you have left together and know you helped provide him a good life!

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
I need some positive encouragement. We took Jake to the dog park tonight. We've been going later at night when no one is there, to avoid any issues with other dogs. We use a light up ball and generally the situation works really well. Tonight he managed to run into a bench and fractured his femur. He was screaming in pain and bled all over the car. My wife is beside herself. He's hospitalized right now and they are talking major surgery or possibly amputation in the morning. I just really hope he can keep his leg.:smith:

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Aw man :( Poor guy. How did it go this morning?

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

I need some positive encouragement. We took Jake to the dog park tonight. We've been going later at night when no one is there, to avoid any issues with other dogs. We use a light up ball and generally the situation works really well. Tonight he managed to run into a bench and fractured his femur. He was screaming in pain and bled all over the car. My wife is beside herself. He's hospitalized right now and they are talking major surgery or possibly amputation in the morning. I just really hope he can keep his leg.:smith:

Oof. Sorry to hear that. That's how it happens sometimes. IANAV, but I did work as a surgical assistant at a surgical veterinary clinic and for what it's worth, that looks like a pretty textbook spiral fracture which they should be able to get together with a plate and screws., maybe some wire to pull in that fragment. And honestly, amputation wouldn't be the end of the world, either. They do surprisingly well on three legs. Don't beat yourself up too bad. poo poo happens. :glomp:

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 21, 2016

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Poor Jake and Mr and Mrs Drunk Beekeeper! That sounds very upsetting, I hope things go ok for everyone tomorrow, will be thinking of you.

Took Reese to the Pet Expo this weekend. All kinds of rescues, vendors, and demonstrations. Was wandering around and realized they had a lure course set up, for $10 you got 4 minutes to see if your dog would chase it. I remember reading in greyhound literature somewhere that sometimes retired racers like lure coursing so we thought why not?

Get him in the ring, let him loose and.........nothing he just looked at me and wagged his tail. Then he went over to say hello to some people leaning over the fence and kiss them. Then he wandered back and was ready to go like 3 minutes early. The dude with the mic was like maybe that's why he's retired.

In any event, not sorry we did it because it was a great laugh and I will never have to wonder.

Hug your hounds tonight folks. I am ever amazed at how much joy and humor they bring to our lives.

Get better Jake!

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

slap me silly posted:

Aw man :( Poor guy. How did it go this morning?

The surgeon is backed up, but we've been told they can operate on him tomorrow morning. Still no official surgery time or even a discussion with the surgeon, although we heard that he reviewed Jake's x-rays and decided that repair is doable, no significant need for amputation. We heard this secondhand from the staff though. So now he's been sitting on his broken leg for 24 hours. He kept trying to stand up to look around, which would cause him extreme pain and the scream of death. The staff decided to sedate him to the point where he can't stand up, and put a catheter in so he doesn't have to go outside. We're pretty frustrated with not having a surgery today. We called around to other vets to see if anyone could get him in, but every one we called said they couldn't do it until tomorrow. It would put him in pain to relocate him so we're just waiting it out until his surgeon can get to him.

I apologize if these photos are NMS, I'm not really sure how to tag them on mobile.

Current status:

The wound when it happened:

The bloody mess in the back of my wife's car:

The hardest moment for me was when they tried to weigh him during check in. He couldn't stand, he kept falling to his butt, and blood was dripping everywhere. I hate seeing my dog like that. There have been a lot of tears here at home today despite his positive prognosis. The house just feels empty without him and we know he's not feeling great, even though the pain is controlled.

Jake is always super affectionate toward people. He runs up to people and leans on them, asking for pets. Like he really gets excited about it and if the person encourages it, he will drat near knock them over just to get some love. It pains me to see such a friendly dog in this state. Hug your hounds for me today. Hoping for better news tomorrow.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Poor fella :( Y'all hang in.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Hugged my hound this morning. Sending you guys virtual hugs.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

You probably won't be given an official surgery time. Everything in a place like that is in constant flux, and factors like staff on hand, extreme emergencies walking through the door, and tie-ups with instruments and equipment can throw a wrench in the works and mess with the whole day's schedule. Hopefully, since he was bumped from yesterday, they'll make a point of doing him early this morning.

I know right now is really hard, but soon enough, he'll be home with you guys and you'll be getting the guilty eyes from him when he wants to go outside and run around because he's feeling so much better, but he can't because he has to rest for a couple months.

Fuzz Feets posted:

Took Reese to the Pet Expo this weekend. All kinds of rescues, vendors, and demonstrations. Was wandering around and realized they had a lure course set up, for $10 you got 4 minutes to see if your dog would chase it. I remember reading in greyhound literature somewhere that sometimes retired racers like lure coursing so we thought why not?

Get him in the ring, let him loose and.........nothing he just looked at me and wagged his tail. Then he went over to say hello to some people leaning over the fence and kiss them. Then he wandered back and was ready to go like 3 minutes early. The dude with the mic was like maybe that's why he's retired.

This would absolutely be Rory, too. She has the lowest prey drive ever, which is good for us since we have two cats, one of whom is a very fluffy-bunny-looking Himalayan. The only time she really runs full-out is if other dogs around her are running, or immediately following a good, long poop. :butt:

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 22, 2016

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Fuzz Feets posted:

Poor Jake and Mr and Mrs Drunk Beekeeper! That sounds very upsetting, I hope things go ok for everyone tomorrow, will be thinking of you.

In any event, not sorry we did it because it was a great laugh and I will never have to wonder.

Hug your hounds tonight folks. I am ever amazed at how much joy and humor they bring to our lives.

Get better Jake!

I tried the lure coursing thing at the expo with my terrier and dachshund mix. They both LOVE chasing things but instead decided to walk around the middle of the pen sniffing. Then one decided he had enough and tried to casually stroll out the entrance.

Goodbye $20.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Jake is out of surgery! They said he did well. One leg will be slightly shorter than the other, but not noticeable. They put in rods and plates and screws, he's a regular hardware store now. Hoping to see him tonight and possibly take him home tomorrow. He will have to be crated while he heals so he doesn't jump on furniture etc, which could injure him. The recovery is going to suck since he loves having the freedom of roaming the house and back yard. I will post post-op X-rays when we get them. Thanks all for the support. :unsmith:

Bonus (older) pic of his big stupid face:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Oh, good! Glad to hear it. Yeah enforced crate time is gonna suck for a while but y'all'll struggle through. Let's see the post-surgery x-rays :v: