Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I literally cannot think of any info or data that I would worry to that degree about. Im I just boring or not paranoid enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

bongwizzard posted:

I literally cannot think of any info or data that I would worry to that degree about. Im I just boring or not paranoid enough?

How do you sleep at night knowing your cat memes could be stolen at any moment?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

bongwizzard posted:

I've worked in places that require physical backups for archives. However, for personal use I'm not that interesting.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

What should I look for in a monitor if I want text to look good? I got a basic 1080 27" ASUS monitor recently but the text doesn't look as good as my 1440x900 macbook. I'm thinking Dell Ultrasharp or a 1440p monitor.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Make sure your existing monitor is hooked up through either hdmi or dvi and running at the correct resolution first. Could be something as easy as that.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

yeah it's hooked up properly, games/images/video look fine and everything, it's just not the best for reading. It's not one of their high-end models.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

colas posted:

What should I look for in a monitor if I want text to look good? I got a basic 1080 27" ASUS monitor recently but the text doesn't look as good as my 1440x900 macbook. I'm thinking Dell Ultrasharp or a 1440p monitor.

Pixel density (PPI, sometimes called High DPI, Apple calls theirs "retina"). In fact, it will make everything look good.

Around 220+ PPI is where you want to be at. The downside is that the larger the monitor, the less pixel density it has by its resolution (IE, a 19" 1080p monitor looks better than a 24" 1080p monitor, even though the 24 is larger).

A 27" 1080p monitor has a PPI of 81. For comparison, a 22" 1080p monitor has a PPI of 100. A 60" 1080p TV has a PPI of only 36.

Something like Apple's Macbook Pro has a 2800x1800 resolution on a 15" screen, for a 226 PPI, which is around what modern smartphones have.

Also, with smaller pixels there is less of that black "grid" in between pixels and will make your monitor look a lot better overall.

The downside is that your eyes will quickly adjust to how much better these kinds of screens look, and then when you have to look at a different screen it feels like watching a VHS again.

As far as the actual monitor / brand / etc, I'm not familiar enough with the screens to pick one, but SH/SC has a thread.

PRADA SLUT has a new favorite as of 07:09 on Mar 17, 2016

colas
Feb 14, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

Pixel density (PPI, sometimes called High DPI, Apple calls theirs "retina"). In fact, it will make everything look good.

Around 220+ PPI is where you want to be at. The downside is that the larger the monitor, the less pixel density it has by its resolution (IE, a 19" 1080p monitor looks better than a 24" 1080p monitor, even though the 24 is larger).

A 27" 1080p monitor has a PPI of 81. For comparison, a 22" 1080p monitor has a PPI of 100. A 60" 1080p TV has a PPI of only 36.

Something like Apple's Macbook Pro has a 2800x1800 resolution on a 15" screen, for a 226 PPI, which is around what modern smartphones have.

Also, with smaller pixels there is less of that black "grid" in between pixels and will make your monitor look a lot better overall.

The downside is that your eyes will quickly adjust to how much better these kinds of screens look, and then when you have to look at a different screen it feels like watching a VHS again.

As far as the actual monitor / brand / etc, I'm not familiar enough with the screens to pick one, but SH/SC has a thread.

Oh, ok thanks that makes sense.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

colas posted:

Oh, ok thanks that makes sense.

If you want one that has that kind of pixel density but is also big you'll need to get something like a 4K / UHD one. They also cost ~4-5 times more.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Looking for a nice large butcher block for my kitchen. Are there any good recommendations for these?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

couldcareless posted:

Looking for a nice large butcher block for my kitchen. Are there any good recommendations for these?

Boos block

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Nah, keep it in the family with http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3747148

It's a little on the pricy side, but everything I've seen in that thread screams quality. I haven't gotten anything myself yet since I'm trying to slim down for an upcoming move, but I'll probably be getting some stuff once I get settled

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

PRADA SLUT posted:

Christ just encrypt it and upload it in a few places somewhere, you don't need to print out the key and store it in your butt for safe keeping

"This encryption key. (holds it up, long pause) This key was in your Daddy's wallet when he was shot down over Hanoi. He was captured, put in a Vietnamese prison camp. He knew if the gooks ever saw the key it'd be confiscated, taken away. The way your Dad looked at it, that key was your birthright. He'd be damned if any slopes were gonna put their greasy yella hands on his boy's birthright. So he hid it in the one place he knew he could hide something. His rear end. Five long years, he had this key up his rear end. Then he died of dysentery, he gave me the key. I hid this uncomfortable wad of paper up my rear end two years. Then, after seven years, I was sent home to my family. And now, little man, I give the key to you."

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Who has a god tier showerhead recommendation?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The former budget option on thesweethome has served me well in the last couple weeks. They have since updated their recommendations

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I have a larger Delta H2OKinetic showerhead that's a real beast, but I can't find it on Amazon. This looks like a smaller, cheaper version that just has the relevant setting. The wave thing actually works really well.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

zachol posted:

I have a larger Delta H2OKinetic showerhead that's a real beast, but I can't find it on Amazon. This looks like a smaller, cheaper version that just has the relevant setting. The wave thing actually works really well.

That's the one I have and it's legit

colas
Feb 14, 2007

SaltLick posted:

That's the one I have and it's legit

good, I'll check it out.

also, I'm looking for a cheap way to hook up an external sata hdd just to quickly grab stuff off of it

I guess something like this would be OK, think it would suck?

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-SATA...drive+connector

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

colas posted:

good, I'll check it out.

also, I'm looking for a cheap way to hook up an external sata hdd just to quickly grab stuff off of it

I guess something like this would be OK, think it would suck?

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-SATA...drive+connector

Should be OK, I've had fine luck with startech accessories. Looks like it doesn't have external power, which might be a problem with a power hungry drive (probably not though).

colas
Feb 14, 2007

taqueso posted:

Should be OK, I've had fine luck with startech accessories. Looks like it doesn't have external power, which might be a problem with a power hungry drive (probably not though).

It's an old drive out of a core2quad HP Elite. It's a 750gb. It's my dad's, the bios actually gave a warning that the drive would fail soon, I think Vista warned him too. I've never encountered that message with a bios or OS. It's nice to get a heads up.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
This may be out of scope for this thread but I need a cheap and simple drafting program for some DIY projects in working on. Any suggestions?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
2D or 3D?

Draftsight (2d) is free.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
There's a Google application that might suffice. I'm not sure the name of it though, Sketchup maybe?

jacteh
Jul 10, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

There's a Google application that might suffice. I'm not sure the name of it though, Sketchup maybe?

Free 3d modelling options:

Google sold Sketchup to Trimble, but there's still a free version available. It's the mspaint of 3d modelling. Really simple but very very basic and limited in what it can do.

Autodesk Fusion 360 is cheap (and I think free for personal use) and is actually a half decent CAD/CAM program. It's semi cloud-based (local client, remote storage)

Onshape has a limited free tier. It's entirely cloud/browser based and a bit laggy as a result. Twice the price of fusion 360 for the paid version, pretty basic functionality so far but adding too it all the time.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
2d or 3d are fine I just need something to let me store my drawings and measurements digitally so I stop losing my drafts. Thanks for the suggestions!

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.
Anyone have recommendations for a lightweight rain jacket and good waterproof hiking shoes?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Dragyn posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a lightweight rain jacket and good waterproof hiking shoes?

Arcteryx jacket, get something SL or LT

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Dragyn posted:

I really like my Marmot Aegis rain jacket, as well as my Keen Targhee II hiking boots.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I wear overear headphones in bed that I use to help fall asleep, but they keep breaking. Can anyone recommend a cheapish pair that won't bust out on me after about a month or two? Soft padding for lying against a pillow would be a plus.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Brain In A Jar posted:

I wear overear headphones in bed that I use to help fall asleep, but they keep breaking. Can anyone recommend a cheapish pair that won't bust out on me after about a month or two? Soft padding for lying against a pillow would be a plus.

What about something like these?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I know action cameras/gopros can do live video streaming/casting now, but do any of them do the same with still shots? I'm going on a roadtrip and it would be awesome if I could set it to take a picture every 60 seconds, and then upload it somewhere. Under $100 would be awesome. (Im cool with cheap chinese knockoffs)

My phone cant do wifi hotspoting, so I guess it would have to be bluetooth. If this isn't doable under $100 then does anyone know a cheap one that will at least take the photos and save them on a card to be transferred later?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

I did not know such things existed. :toot:

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
I need a toaster oven without a mechanical timer, or one that doesn't require your turn past 10 minutes to set anything below ten minutes. As a kid, my parents had a 1980's Black and Decker one that popped open when your time was up, but I'm sure that was probably a terrible fire hazard, since I can't find any that pop out.

I really don't care to spend over $100 for a toaster oven, but I also don't want to replace it in six months since I don't really think that computer chips do well sitting next to 400F ovens, but what do I know?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I got this one recommended by TheSweetHome and it's been great.

It's small but fits four slices of bread easily, just over $100, and has been stellar. Check TheSweetHome's "flaws but not deal breakers" section to see if their valid points are complete deal breakers for you.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I get sweaty hands when I need to use a mouse for over twenty minutes. I was thinking the solution to this would be an extremely small fan aimed at my hand. Does anyone have any recommendations for a very small, quiet fan for my desk? Maybe clip on?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Just get a dinky little USB fan. Tons of options on Amazon etc

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

Danger Mahoney posted:

I get sweaty hands when I need to use a mouse for over twenty minutes. I was thinking the solution to this would be an extremely small fan aimed at my hand. Does anyone have any recommendations for a very small, quiet fan for my desk? Maybe clip on?

http://www.geekalerts.com/usb-optiwind-mouse-with-cooling-fan/

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Looking for a shampoo* or hair mask or something that's basically strictly for anti-dandruff.

I know you can get combination antidandruff shampoo, but I'm specifically wondering if there's a product that won't clean hair, just manage dandruff only. Something like a hair rinse or a mask you can just wash out with water.

At worst, if it's in a shampoo, I'm looking for the least effective shampoo possible. I know you can get one without SLS, but something even less than that would be preferable, regardless of its cleaning efficiency.

DIY is fine as long as it's not something like soaking your head in vinegar so it smells for a week straight.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

PRADA SLUT posted:

Looking for a shampoo* or hair mask or something that's basically strictly for anti-dandruff.

[...]
DIY is fine as long as it's not something like soaking your head in vinegar so it smells for a week straight.

This worked for me. YMMV.

No shampoo. Wash your hair with straight water. Gentle scalp massage. Use soap on your hands to get the excess oil off, rinse hands, scrub scalp with clean hands. REPEAT.

You might have to do it four or five times during a shower for the first little while, but eventually you should only have to do it twice. Ultimately, if your scalp is dry enough to flake, your scalp may need time to reach its own equilibrium.

I tried H&S, Pantene clarifying shampoo, Nizoral, "organic" shampoos and conditioners containing tea tree oil, herbal shampoos to treat psoriasis, and even some natural blend I found in a place called Earth's General Store. Now I do this. No dandruff.

Give straight water a shot and be sure to soap/rinse your hands before touching hair. Maybe it'll work for you too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Best small affordable household network equipment rack?