Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No I watched Pee Wee instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
Remember that time newt and hicks died but a terrible video game according to Fox decided Hicks survived!.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mquByeLRYNM

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Fortunately after that embarrassment Sega released Alien: Isolation which has a Sigourney Weaver Alien Game as one of its add-ons.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Neo Rasa posted:

Fortunately after that embarrassment Sega released Alien: Isolation which has a Sigourney Weaver Alien Game as one of its add-ons.

That game was really good looking and loving long. Don't know why they had to pad it out so much.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
It also didn't do too well. I thought it's overuse of androids and the Alien AI was a bit much at times.

It would have been a much more interesting game with more hostile humans since the coolest parts are when the alien is going on a rampage.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008

blackguy32 posted:

It would have been a much more interesting game with more hostile humans since the coolest parts are when the alien is going on a rampage.

This. One time i was hiding in the floor from some humans when the Alien dropped in. I heard them screaming and shooting as the thing killed all of them. Really makes the Alien out to be terrifying.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

OptimusShr posted:

This. One time i was hiding in the floor from some humans when the Alien dropped in. I heard them screaming and shooting as the thing killed all of them. Really makes the Alien out to be terrifying.
Related, here's a fun 30-second clip of me playing Alien Isolation:

http://www.trueachievements.com/gameclip.aspx?clipid=8654079

:stonk:

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

LOL... makes my skin crawl. Good times.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

So this thread piqued my interest in checking this out. Is there any place to get this movie other than buying Quadrilogy box set? Every time I search for it I just get hits for the "Special Edition". (And to be honest, I'm not even looking to own it, just rent it...if that's at all possible.)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You probably can't rent it, but they sell the Bly Ray by itself and it does include the Assembly Cut.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 227 days!
Honestly, I think there's something repulsive about the idea that Alien 3 was "the perfect ending for Ripley as a character."

I think that comes pretty close to the perspective on characterization of women that Martyrs was a "gently caress you" to.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Hodgepodge posted:

Honestly, I think there's something repulsive about the idea that Alien 3 was "the perfect ending for Ripley as a character."

I think that comes pretty close to the perspective on characterization of women that Martyrs was a "gently caress you" to.
Speaking as someone who hasn't seen Martyrs (and without saying if I agree or not that it's the perfect ending for Ripley), could you elaborate on this?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hodgepodge posted:

It's a perfect end of the Alien series.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 227 days!

Xenomrph posted:

Speaking as someone who hasn't seen Martyrs (and without saying if I agree or not that it's the perfect ending for Ripley), could you elaborate on this?

Basically, Martyrs argues that we, collectively, glorify the suffering of women as having some transcendent spiritual or artistic purpose, when what is really happening is that we are so selfish that we justify and encourage the suffering of others as being about uplifting ourselves.

Applied to Alien 3, you have the idea that Ripley and all her struggles only have meaning, or are most meaningful, if she exists ultimately only to suffer and die for others.

quote:

It if were, Ripley should have just self-destructed the Nostromo back in Alien. My argument is that it subverts the series up to that point, for regressive purposes.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Xenomrph posted:

Related, here's a fun 30-second clip of me playing Alien Isolation:

http://www.trueachievements.com/gameclip.aspx?clipid=8654079

:stonk:

Clever girl.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 227 days!
I'm just going to post these thoughts since this is the "talk about Alien" thread anyhow:

Someone described Alien as Lovecraftian, and it is in the sense that it depicts the cosmos as hostile and beyond our ability to comprehend and control. But it is also a response to Lovecraft, whose protagonists were doomed explicitly because they are weak little men whose ideals are ill-equipped for coping with reality. The interesting thing about Lovecraft is how honest and self-effacing he is. It isn't so much humanity that is doomed, it is that the revelations the cosmos has to offer will transform it beyond the protagonists' fairly narrow ability to recognize it.

Basically, Alien says that women are tough enough to survive in such a universe. As far as we know at the end of Alien, Ripley has decisively won. She may have 99 problems in her future, but whatever that loving thing was won't be one of them. Lovecraft was largely raised by his aunts, and I like to think he would have agreed. Although the lower-class ways of Ripley and her crew would have been just as alien and terrifying to him as the creature they face.

Part of why Aliens works is that she, ultimately, chooses to go back because she's tough enough to do so. It's thematically appropriate for her to return as a somewhat superhuman character.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 20, 2016

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

CelticPredator posted:

Meh, I would of preferred another colonial marines movie.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Hodgepodge posted:

Part of why Aliens works is that she, ultimately, chooses to go back because she's tough enough to do so. It's thematically appropriate for her to return as a somewhat superhuman character.

Ripley is bullied in to going back by the company. They strip her of her license and force her to do menial work and get Burke to taunt her over it in the guise of trying to help. Everyone she knows is dead, she and no career and no future.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

hemale in pain posted:

Ripley is bullied in to going back by the company. They strip her of her license and force her to do menial work and get Burke to taunt her over it in the guise of trying to help. Everyone she knows is dead, she and no career and no future.

Nar, they think she is nuts and loses her licence. They dont believe in the Alien except for Burke who sent some colonists out to have a look where this "imaginary ship" is and puts two and two together when the colony suddenly goes dead afterwards.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

No what actually happens is a salvage crew finds her ship and she awakens to a world 57 years in the future. A regular 'Ripley Van Winkle' if you will. She has to adjust to life and gets a job loading stuff in a warehouse. Burke, her only friend, worries about her obsession with the alien from Alien, and encourages her to put her fears to rest by facing up to them.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

punchymcpunch posted:

No what actually happens is a salvage crew finds her ship and she awakens to a world 57 years in the future. A regular 'Ripley Van Winkle' if you will. She has to adjust to life and gets a job loading stuff in a warehouse. Burke, her only friend, worries about her obsession with the alien from Alien, and encourages her to put her fears to rest by facing up to them.

I loved that episode of "Family ties"

also, "'Ripley Van Winkle'" is great.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I thought the movie was pretty clear that her decision to return was in order to achieve closure. Despite living in a shoebox and driving forklifts for a living she still clearly tells Burke to gently caress off. It's not until we see her waking up from one of her constant nightmares that she consciously approaches Burke and expresses desire to go see them destroyed and bring herself some peace of mind.

You can't really say Burke strong armed her, or at least if he did it failed miserably. He deliberately misled her, of course, but thays neither here nor there.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I thought her space apartment was more than just a shoe box.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 227 days!
Ripley remains working class. Burke leverages this against her. This fails, but she then takes the job for her own reasons.

It's a defining moment in the cyberpunk rendition of the lone wolf. In cyberpunk, this tends to be one who chooses working class solidarity as an alternative to an identity defined by corporate culture.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I never would have thought of 'Aliens' as "cyberpunk", but I can't say that the way you're framing it doesn't make sense. :shobon:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Dallas' apartment in The Fifth Element always reminded me of Ripley's from Aliens, I wonder if that was intentional.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

Basebf555 posted:

Dallas' apartment in The Fifth Element always reminded me of Ripley's from Aliens, I wonder if that was intentional.
I've thought this same thing.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008

blackguy32 posted:

Clever girl.

Seriously, make even a little noise and that thing will home in on you. Learned that the hard way hiding in a locker and popping out my motion tracker for one second when I couldn't see it anymore.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The NECA Alien 3 figure arrived today. It's genuinely pretty awesome and looks cool all posed up with the stand. One of my better drunken impulse buys.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's a great figure.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Stare-Out posted:

The NECA Alien 3 figure arrived today. It's genuinely pretty awesome and looks cool all posed up with the stand. One of my better drunken impulse buys.

One of us One Of Us ONE OF US ONE OF US

I mean, uh
Congratulations! :cheers:

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

More photos of aliens action figures posed with cool lighting would be a welcome addition to this thread, or any thread, really, IMO.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I have many. So. Get ready.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
50 Cent just got casted in the Predator reboot......

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hell yeah.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Go, go, go, go go, go, go, predator
It's your Hunt
We gon' party like it's yo Hunt
We gon' sip Bacardi like it's your Hunt
And you know we don't give a gently caress
It's not your Hunt!

You can find me in the club, bottle full of bub
Look mami I got the X if you into taking drugs
I'm into having Skulls, I ain't into making love
So come give me a hug if you into to getting your skull ripped out

You can find me in the club, bottle full of bub
Look mami I got the X if you into taking drugs
I'm into having Skulls, I ain't into making love
So come give me a hug if you into to getting your skull ripped out

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I hope the predator tries to shoot him in the head but it doesnt work because fiddys hat is bulletproof

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

It will be a completely wasted movie if Ice Cube doesn't at least make a cameo appearance.

Edit: Ice Cube should be the lead.

Edit 2: Actually, Cube should play the predator, and a lookalike actor portray young Cube. Set it in 90s LA. Straight out of Compton Gaiden: Ice Cube vs. Predator: Death Row

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 5, 2016

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

SMERSH Mouth posted:

It will be a completely wasted movie if Ice Cube doesn't at least make a cameo appearance.

Edit: Ice Cube should be the lead.

Edit 2: Actually, Cube should play the predator, and a lookalike actor portray young Cube. Set it in 90s LA. Straight out of Compton Gaiden: Ice Cube vs. Predator: Death Row

Ice cube was played by ice cube jr. In the movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Predator: straight to home video