Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Blackchamber posted:

Oh man are you going to be unhappy.

Makes me wonder:

We all know that when it comes to toys that are marketed towards males, Toy makers tend to shy away from the female characters or make them in much smaller quantities. Recently it was Star Wars' Rey and before that I remember Black Widow from avengers getting the same treatment.

Does anyone know what the first case of this was?

The Transformers cartoon introduced female Transformers are far back as 1985, with Arcee becoming a major character in Transformers: The Movie in 1986. But they never made any of them as toys back then, and we got the first-ever version of that Arcee in 2015 (even though there were a few different versions of her in the 2000s).

The '80s Star Wars figures always had a few different versions of Princess Leia available, and she was always in assortments throughout the '90s and '00s, too. And at least the female G.I. Joe characters had some representation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I seem to remember that there were a lot of female Marvel figures from the X-Men lines in the early to mid 90s. Looking back, it looks like it is only about 1 per series so they aren't much more than a token female character. Not sure if they were short packed or anything, though.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I remember them too and had many of them. That's what makes me wonder at what point Toy makers did the 180 and say boys won't buy them. What Toy line killed it, or when was the shift?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Super Powers had a single female character in the entire line, Wonder Woman. I had one, but I was too young to remember if she was rarer than the rest. In the 90s heyday of Toy Biz' Marvel lines you were lucky to get a single girl in a line and characters like Rogue, Jean, Storm, etc. were always short packed and scalped for big bucks at comic book stores. When you had lines like the Burton Batman movies, you'd have a single Catwoman and hundreds of Batman variations, and she'd also be short packed. I can remember losing my poo poo finding a Harley Quinn from the original B:TAS toy line at retail. Toys of female characters were almost always worse than male ones too because they'd be skinnier, often less articulated, and they could never, ever stand up on their own under any circumstance.

The line about boys won't buy toys of women has always been in effect, and it's never been true. Especially in the case of X-Men, you had the most popular Saturday morning cartoon at the time, four of the team were women, of course kids wanted those characters. If anything the shift has been in the other direction. Marvel Legends aren't really geared towards kids but they will put 3 or more women in a wave now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Travis343 posted:

Toys of female characters were almost always worse than male ones too because they'd be skinnier, often less articulated, and they could never, ever stand up on their own under any circumstance.

Besides articulation, that's still the case with one of the Legends body styles.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Old school joes were awesome back in the day. Biggest pain about having a figure wasn't if it was male or female, but what to do if that god damned band snapped.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Aphrodite posted:

Besides articulation, that's still the case with one of the Legends body styles.

I think Legends has a thicker female body they used for Thundra, but yeah, like, half of the other female figures I've seen in stores have a warped leg

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The MOTU Sorceress was nigh impossible to find back in 1987. I believe she was a running change to the final wave. My uncle found her in Canada and that's the only reason I had her.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
As sure as I posted earlier today about never being able to find Gwen, I just happened to check the Walmart close to my house and found one!

drat it feels good to find something you've been hunting for months!

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
The female toys for boys thing has always been a edict from retailers. Retailers have never wanted them even though there is ton of research and sales records showing the females sell just as well as male figures dating back to the 70s. In the 90s it was particularly bad with female figures in Marvel and Batman lines being 1 per case. This is why you saw things like Catwoman and Invisible Woman figures selling on the secondary market for 4 or 5 times retail.

Star Wars and to a lesser extent G.I. Joe and Spawn all were slightly less beholden to the "no female" rule than others for various reasons. But until the last couple of years now it was next to impossible to get more than one woman in a wave. Interviews with people who used to work in the toy industry in the 80s and 90s are mind blowing with the kind of thinking that buyers had at the time. Stuff that if it was said out loud today would be people fired but it was the way of thinking back then.

Although I heard that behind closed doors some people lost their poo poo when the two main characters for the new Star Wars was a woman and person of color respectively.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Saw the new Warcraft figures today. Holy poo poo they look awful. Medivh was just Generic Wizard Figure and Lothar is just depressingly bad paint.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I remember the Toy Biz female Legends routinely being the worst figures in the line

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Nut Bunnies posted:

I remember the Toy Biz female Legends routinely being the worst figures in the line

X-23 has one of the worst figures of all time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Djarum posted:

The female toys for boys thing has always been a edict from retailers. Retailers have never wanted them even though there is ton of research and sales records showing the females sell just as well as male figures dating back to the 70s. In the 90s it was particularly bad with female figures in Marvel and Batman lines being 1 per case. This is why you saw things like Catwoman and Invisible Woman figures selling on the secondary market for 4 or 5 times retail.

Star Wars and to a lesser extent G.I. Joe and Spawn all were slightly less beholden to the "no female" rule than others for various reasons. But until the last couple of years now it was next to impossible to get more than one woman in a wave. Interviews with people who used to work in the toy industry in the 80s and 90s are mind blowing with the kind of thinking that buyers had at the time. Stuff that if it was said out loud today would be people fired but it was the way of thinking back then.

Although I heard that behind closed doors some people lost their poo poo when the two main characters for the new Star Wars was a woman and person of color respectively.

Person of color?

What?

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Person of color?

What?

Finn

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The phrase is what I question. I used it once in Chicago at a bar and received a pretty brutal beating.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

It's African-American guys, c'mon.

(Yes I know Boyega is British)

But "person of color" has a "racist cop" connotation in my head.

Corn Glizzy fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Mar 20, 2016

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

So my animated Catwoman took a topple today (thanks kids downstairs who spent the entire afternoon slamming the patio door as hard as they could and making my entire apartment shake :rolleyes: ) and one of her arms snapped at the elbow joint; is there an easy-ish way to repair this?

Also, why the hell does this Catwoman go for $55-100 now? :psyduck:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

The Rage posted:

But "person of color" has a "racist cop" connotation in my head.

it's literally the same as "colored person"

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Rhyno posted:

The phrase is what I question. I used it once in Chicago at a bar and received a pretty brutal beating.

It's strange - I think of "colored" as being old fashioned and associated with a different, more racist time but I've heard "person of color" using by many organizations trying to be more inclusive of different racial/ethnic groups.

Back on topic, think about how hard it was to find ugly Leia on the orange POTF card or a lot of the female Spawn characters - they've been like this since at least back then. I had a Sorceress and don't remember any problems with Scarlet, Lady Jane, Teela, Evil Lynn, etc. back in the day. I'd say early 90s when toy collecting became the next big thing and the toy makers started to play with artificial scarcity, etc.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Sanschel posted:

So my animated Catwoman took a topple today (thanks kids downstairs who spent the entire afternoon slamming the patio door as hard as they could and making my entire apartment shake :rolleyes: ) and one of her arms snapped at the elbow joint; is there an easy-ish way to repair this?

Also, why the hell does this Catwoman go for $55-100 now? :psyduck:

Gonna need pics.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

People have been getting redone versions of Catwoman and that first TNBA Batman as replacements for broken figures from DCC but as far as I know nobody's seen them at retail yet. They're supposed to be less breakable and have that peg on their hips covered up. You might email DCC customer support and give it a shot.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

it's literally the same as "colored person"

It's not. The academic community, mostly liberals and progressives, uses "person of color" as the standard, accepted, politically correct term du jour. It's much more inclusive and accurate than "African-American," for example, because it includes people like John Boyega and Idris Elba from Britain, as well as Jamaicans, who aren't of specific African descent at all.

You might not like it, but that's the term people use now. I'm not derailing anymore, but my wife teaches a college course on Social Change and Community Organizing, and I know she knows what she's talking about.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

It's not. The academic community, mostly liberals and progressives, uses "person of color" as the standard, accepted, politically correct term du jour. It's much more inclusive and accurate than "African-American," for example, because it includes people like John Boyega and Idris Elba from Britain, as well as Jamaicans, who aren't of specific African descent at all.

You could just say black.

Also, yeah "person of color" is just "colored person" but with the words switched around.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Djarum posted:

I can't tell you how much I hated how much of a sausage party my toy collection was as a kid. I mean I had nearly every Ninja Turtle you could imagine, but I never even saw an April. Short packing female figures is such a strange practice when you think about it. They're always the first figures to sell out because of scalpers and later go on for big bucks, yet toy companies still keep quantities extremely low.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

You might not like it, but that's the term people use now. I'm not derailing anymore, but my wife teaches a college course on Social Change and Community Organizing, and I know she knows what she's talking about.

A lot of the "acceptable" terms for anyone not white come across as kind of dickish or racist honestly. Even the Fox News favored "Minority" has an oppressive connotation to it.

The Transformers cartoon introduced female Transformers are far back as 1985, with Arcee becoming a major character in Transformers: The Movie in 1986. But they never made any of them as toys back then, and we got the first-ever version of that Arcee in 2015 (even though there were a few different versions of her in the 2000s).

If I remember right the first female Transformer toy, Road Rage, was an E-hobby exclusive, and only became female much later on due to a retcon. I think the first Transformer toy that was designed as a female was either the Transmetal forms of Airazor or Blackarachnia. The Original versions of the characters were not designed as female (and Blackarachnia was a repaint of a male toy). In fact Airazor is only femake in the show because the Toy bio never listed a gender.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

boom boom boom posted:

You could just say black.

This is also a word some people find a little problematic, especially people of mixed race.

"People of color" is indeed a favored term in academic and activist circles, partly because it is inclusive of all non-white people regardless of ethnic background. The difference between "colored people" and "people of color" is as stark - culturally - as the difference between "black" and "negro," which linguistically speaking are the same word.

Sort of back on topic: The thing with female figures has been problem for as long as action figures have existed. I had an early lesson in the bizarre gender politics of toys when other boys thought I was weird for owning both He-Man and She-Ra toys. I didn't see the distinction; the shows ran back-to-back and crossed over all the time. The main bad guys from She-Ra, the Horde, were in the "male" Masters of the Universe line. I was a bit shocked at the accusation that I had "girl toys." Of course this went over a lot better with the girls in my class! And I had a drat good time with those toys, and I wasn't going to apologize. Even 6 years old, I knew it was the other boys who had it twisted.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Light tan is a color too, please don't color shame

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Wow that sure did blow up.

Back on topic, when did people start thinking the Ronan wave of Marvel Legends was a Wal-Mart exclusive?

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Je suis une tappette pour les jouets cheap et casse. Je suis dieu des nulles!

Djarum posted:

Wow that sure did blow up.

Back on topic, when did people start thinking the Ronan wave of Marvel Legends was a Wal-Mart exclusive?

When the boxes said "walmart exclusive" on them.

Edit, maybe they didn't. I thought they were too, I sold all of mine a little while ago and I think I listed them as such as well. weird.

double edit: marvellegends.net lists it as such.

http://marvellegends.net/Line/MarvelLegends/HMLFF.htm

Bushifox fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 21, 2016

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

They get it confused with the Ares series, since Ares and Ronan were the priciest BAF's of that era.

gregday
May 23, 2003

My Catwoman and April O'Neil figures were some of my favorites. And I don't care what anyone says, I loved my She-Ra and her flying horse so much when I was little. Any manufacturer or retailer who thinks boys are many into female characters can gently caress right off.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

gregday posted:

My Catwoman and April O'Neil figures were some of my favorites. And I don't care what anyone says, I loved my She-Ra and her flying horse so much when I was little. Any manufacturer or retailer who thinks boys are many into female characters can gently caress right off.

Same. My Phoenix/Dark Phoenix/Psylocke toys were absolutely god-tier to my young self (and current self).

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Bushifox posted:

When the boxes said "walmart exclusive" on them.

Edit, maybe they didn't. I thought they were too, I sold all of mine a little while ago and I think I listed them as such as well. weird.

double edit: marvellegends.net lists it as such.

http://marvellegends.net/Line/MarvelLegends/HMLFF.htm

Yeah they changed the site fairly recently to say it, as you go on Archive.org there is no reference to it from 2007 until 2010 which you would think would have been on there, especially since they have every other exclusive listed as such right away. I bought the entire wave at Target when they came out, so I thought it was weird that people were proclaiming it was a store exclusive wave. I went looking last night to see if there was a actual reference for it at release but couldn't find anything. I had people on a Facebook post get all crazy on me about it.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I got both Fantastic Four and Spider-Man 3 waves through BBTS. Never saw them in stores.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hot Toys finally revealed their Wonder Woman for BvS. Face looks off though.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Aphrodite posted:

Hot Toys finally revealed their Wonder Woman for BvS. Face looks off though.

Yeah, its that same issue as with Scarlet Witch - the blank stare. No emotion is given in the face and they are just lovely dolls at this point.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not just that, it doesn't really look like her from any angle.

Someone commented that it looks like a teenage Gal Gadot or something.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
I got super lucky and came across a spare Black Series Jango if anyone wants it for cost ($26, found him at a mall at all prices).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
oh man, my son will be thrilled.