Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Krispy Kareem posted:

This has been on my bank's website for months:

Is this a 1980's Miami Vice cigarette speedboat best friend kind of guy? Definitely not a pontoon boat friend with a suit like that.

If it floats, flies or fucks, rent it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
So this checks a lot of bad with money boxes.

We just got a company-wide email invitation to a "Free Class" in one of our conference rooms from 5:30-6:30 PM next Wednesday.

It's a doTerra "Introduction to Essential oils" :psyduck: which teaches you how to "avoid pharmaceuticals" and "explore ways to share with others and earn cash" :psyduck:

And this is from ONE OF OUR EXECUTIVES.

I'm glad it's Friday afternoon. I need a drink.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

GWM on the part of the executive. You want to be at the top of the pyramid.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

GWM on the part of the executive. You want to be at the top of the pyramid.

Also GWM for the company in that all his employees will remain wage slaves to the company.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

It's not the CEO, COO or CFO, but someone who's only a few people down from that.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

It's GWM due to all the sales they will make from employees looking to suck up.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

tumblr hype man posted:

If it floats, flies or fucks, rent it.

Or be BWM and get a 5-10 year loan at 10%-40% to buy it.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Dammit, I financed my flock of trained seagulls.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

crazypeltast52 posted:

Dammit, I financed my flock of trained seagulls.

Let me know if you need a bird lawyer.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Devian666 posted:

Also having a student loan so large that a part time minimum wage job doesn't really cut it with repayments. College students in the US have been enslaved by the baby boomers with no way out.

I suppose if there's one thing that actually isn't novel, it's smug shitbags handwaving away legitimate criticisms of society as mindless whining.

Haifisch posted:

Is this like being that one friend with the pickup truck, because everyone can just borrow it when they need one? :v:

The words appear to be suggesting that, but that photo seems to imply something else entirely. :drugnerd:

...which, to be fair, can be very GWM if you know how not to get caught.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

r0ck0 posted:

Let me know if you need a bird lawyer.

All I know about bird law is that I get pecked to death in court. I usually settle before all I'm left with is the crumbs.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Looks like she updated!

quote:

Original post here:https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/4asa10/33000_in_debt_with_nothing_to_show_for_it/

We got an extra $1700 and my husband is doing piece work til they need him back at his job. We have $2340 in the bank now which will cover our next month's rent and insurance. He said that they don't need him back yet because the machines aren't working and they need somebody to come fix them before he could do his job. The temporary piece work is back breaking labour but pays amazingly well, not sure how long he can do it for. Dr told him to rest his injured knee but he can't as after posting this we had a talk about our financial affairs and I expressed my concern about how worried it all makes me. He says it is no big deal really, and when he can get back to his regular job he'll take overtime and we can pay it off quickly. He says that the possibility of homelessness is small (I was quite worried after reading all of these comments) because we still have $20,000 on our credit cards if it ever came to an emergency like that. Obviously that would be a possibility if we continued on our current course long-term, but it is not some kind of pending disaster and that the troubles we are in at the moment can reasonably be reversed. That I am just getting anxiety because of hormones and such.

We think it is a good idea for me to take in some other children to help pay off our current debt sooner. We were thinking maybe one child all day at ~$40/day plus after school care for ~4 children for 1-2 hours for $10 each so another $40. Ending up with an extra $80/day or $1600 a month. But he doesn't think I should do it until our baby is a little older and I have recovered some postpartum. With the $1600 for me and the $4800 from him, we should be able to make $6400, minus our expenses $3700 for $2700 to the debt, minus $400 for the interest means $2300 to the principal each month and we should have it paid off in a little over a year.

I completely support him staying home with me for this postpartum period and see nothing wrong with it, and was surprised by the personal attacks when I simply asked for advice on a personal finance message board. He had to stay home. The children had to be kept separated. I was told that pneumonia could lead to baby's death. What father wouldn't cut work to be with his child in the hospital? Clearly I can't bring a newborn baby there and neither of us could live with ourselves if she had to be in there all alone. My husband said that the thought of homelessness is melodramatic, likewise the thought of moving into cheaper housing, and I'm being negative and discouraging. Our current rent is the average norm where we live. Rentals are hard to get here and there is huge competition for them - way more people wanting to rent than there are rental homes available. It took us two months to find a rental here. He says it is better to be in debt than to live in the ghetto where our children would be in an area with crime, drugs, and so on. Not long ago in the papers a child was raped over there. Better to be in debt a little longer. And even if we wanted to move, why and how would we break our lease? Our home and our landlord are both great. They have a semi-government funded housing complex here in town, but I looked it up and ALL of the units are on hold for the coming syrian refugees.

Our situation is not all that unusual. We live in suburban Canada and there is no public transit. The average person has $21,000 consumer debt according to the most recent survey, a gallon of milk is $5, beef is ~$20/kg. The urban areas are more expensive and the rural areas have no jobs.

What did us in was the frequent moving, car issues, and the driving without insurance fine. The fine was $7000 on a credit card and his insurance afterwards ended up being $500. Most insurance companies would not even insure him. He had purchased a used car for $800 from a friend and it ended up needing thousands of dollars in repairs, we thought it would have ended up being a good deal in the end but it was not worth it in the end. After sinking so much money into it, he sold it for $200 and got a better car that we are making $130/month payments on. My husband injured his back in my 9th month of pregnancy and could not work, and that was when I did lots of cash advances and we racked up a huge amount of debt in that period. There was also a failed business attempt that was hard too.

The moving was extremely expensive. We first rented a cheap crappy bachelor basement apartment ($750), and ended up moving because it was far too small. Then we lived in a 1 bedroom basement ($950), but we had many issues with the landlords and they would not fix anything. Same with another cheap place we tried. Then we decided to go up a little in rent and try our luck with that, but the tenant in the basement apartment had a dog that barked all day if it was inside and roamed free jumping on people if it was outside. Tried for so long to stick it out but he and my husband argued so much and there was so much tension over it. Eventually phoned the police over the dog, and he got fined for its barking and for it not being registered, and he went ballistic and threatened me and I was afraid so I begged my husband to negotiate with the landlord to break the lease, and he did. The next place we moved to had an ok rent ($1500) but there were so many repairs, new things would break every week and the landlords would refuse to fix it, so we went to a higher end place ($1750) thinking we wouldn't have the same problems if we were willing to pay more. This place was great but somebody kept trying to break into our house and there were always footsteps in the backyard, police didn't catch the person, and I was afraid and again asked my husband to please break the lease so we could move. So we did, again, and now we are in this place.

I did always cook from scratch for many years, baking my own bread, all of that, I invented my own homemade dry cereal and homemade protein bars. Every time we moved, and with each new baby, I would stop and get takeout food for a season. I have examined my own habits and feel selfish and bad about it. We eat a lot of meat and have to cut down on that now. Aside from that we are going to try to lower our interest rates on our credit cards, lower our insurance, and ask the tax agency if we can set up a payment plan to pay it off long term. We did taxes with tax software, would it be worth the time to do it by hand and see if we get a lower figure? Are there ever errors with the software? I was shocked by the large figure. If I did it by hand it would take all day ~8 hours would I be wasting my time?

Ironically I went to private school for finance (hah), quit after a year because it wasn't what I wanted to do (was pressured into it by my father, once he was out of the picture I quit immediately) and it took me a year of hard living and not eating to pay off that school debt. I worked with show horses after that, but haven't worked since I first got pregnant 5 years ago and have no resume. We intended to have a traditional family with me staying home, but I am ok with working to help pay off the debt. I may try applying for a coffee shop or something or try to get some part time work in my old field with horses. The jobs I've had have been through word of mouth and I don't even remember when exactly I worked at which facilities and it might be tricky trying to make a resume and track down old contacts to help me as references. My midwife does not think I should work, but maybe in a couple weeks or something it will be ok to. I am skilled in childcare and housework if that counts for anything. I am especially great with tiny babies so I might try a night nanny or something like that which I think could pay well.

I am getting mixed answers about the cloth diapers and the deep freezer and I am not sure whether to go ahead and invest into them or not. We are spending $100 a month on diapers now as my daughter who is about to turn 4 regressed and stopped going potty right after she watched my husband injure his back. I think it stressed her out some and she is troubled by it, and nothing I do seems to make her go back to using the toilet and I have her back in pullups for now :(

The new meal plan I have made has homemade cereal for breakfast, sandwiches with homemade bread and canned fish for lunch, fruit and vegetables for snacks (cheaper ones like apples, oranges, carrots). For suppers I am going to do only 1 night of good meat, 1 night of sausages, 1 night of chicken, 2 nights of eggs, 1 night of liver, and 1 night of rice and beans or mac n cheese. Mostly served with homemade broth and cheap vegetables like onions, carrots, cabbage, frozen veg, seasonal/sale. And then do the last week of the month with really dirt cheap meals like peanut butter toast and rice and beans every night for one week to save a little extra money.

Once we run out of products I am going to go back to making my own like baby wipes and laundry soap, and try some other ones like deodorant and body lotion.

I was kind of overwhelmed and found it hard to reply to all the responses, tried to cover everything in this one post.

I am still feeling anxious and depressed about it but trying my best to stay cheerful for my husband and children. Feeling good with some hopeful solutions ahead :)

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

froglet posted:

Looks like she updated!

quote:

Original post here:https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfi...to_show_for_it/

We got an extra $1700 and my husband is doing piece work til they need him back at his job. We have $2340 in the bank now which will cover our next month's rent and insurance. He said that they don't need him back yet because the machines aren't working and they need somebody to come fix them before he could do his job. The temporary piece work is back breaking labour but pays amazingly well, not sure how long he can do it for. Dr told him to rest his injured knee but he can't as after posting this we had a talk about our financial affairs and I expressed my concern about how worried it all makes me. He says it is no big deal really, and when he can get back to his regular job he'll take overtime and we can pay it off quickly. He says that the possibility of homelessness is small (I was quite worried after reading all of these comments) because we still have $20,000 on our credit cards if it ever came to an emergency like that. Obviously that would be a possibility if we continued on our current course long-term, but it is not some kind of pending disaster and that the troubles we are in at the moment can reasonably be reversed. That I am just getting anxiety because of hormones and such.

We think it is a good idea for me to take in some other children to help pay off our current debt sooner. We were thinking maybe one child all day at ~$40/day plus after school care for ~4 children for 1-2 hours for $10 each so another $40. Ending up with an extra $80/day or $1600 a month. But he doesn't think I should do it until our baby is a little older and I have recovered some postpartum. With the $1600 for me and the $4800 from him, we should be able to make $6400, minus our expenses $3700 for $2700 to the debt, minus $400 for the interest means $2300 to the principal each month and we should have it paid off in a little over a year.

I completely support him staying home with me for this postpartum period and see nothing wrong with it, and was surprised by the personal attacks when I simply asked for advice on a personal finance message board. He had to stay home. The children had to be kept separated. I was told that pneumonia could lead to baby's death. What father wouldn't cut work to be with his child in the hospital? Clearly I can't bring a newborn baby there and neither of us could live with ourselves if she had to be in there all alone. My husband said that the thought of homelessness is melodramatic, likewise the thought of moving into cheaper housing, and I'm being negative and discouraging. Our current rent is the average norm where we live. Rentals are hard to get here and there is huge competition for them - way more people wanting to rent than there are rental homes available. It took us two months to find a rental here. He says it is better to be in debt than to live in the ghetto where our children would be in an area with crime, drugs, and so on. Not long ago in the papers a child was raped over there. Better to be in debt a little longer. And even if we wanted to move, why and how would we break our lease? Our home and our landlord are both great. They have a semi-government funded housing complex here in town, but I looked it up and ALL of the units are on hold for the coming syrian refugees.

Our situation is not all that unusual. We live in suburban Canada and there is no public transit. The average person has $21,000 consumer debt according to the most recent survey, a gallon of milk is $5, beef is ~$20/kg. The urban areas are more expensive and the rural areas have no jobs.

What did us in was the frequent moving, car issues, and the driving without insurance fine. The fine was $7000 on a credit card and his insurance afterwards ended up being $500. Most insurance companies would not even insure him. He had purchased a used car for $800 from a friend and it ended up needing thousands of dollars in repairs, we thought it would have ended up being a good deal in the end but it was not worth it in the end. After sinking so much money into it, he sold it for $200 and got a better car that we are making $130/month payments on. My husband injured his back in my 9th month of pregnancy and could not work, and that was when I did lots of cash advances and we racked up a huge amount of debt in that period. There was also a failed business attempt that was hard too.

The moving was extremely expensive. We first rented a cheap crappy bachelor basement apartment ($750), and ended up moving because it was far too small. Then we lived in a 1 bedroom basement ($950), but we had many issues with the landlords and they would not fix anything. Same with another cheap place we tried. Then we decided to go up a little in rent and try our luck with that, but the tenant in the basement apartment had a dog that barked all day if it was inside and roamed free jumping on people if it was outside. Tried for so long to stick it out but he and my husband argued so much and there was so much tension over it. Eventually phoned the police over the dog, and he got fined for its barking and for it not being registered, and he went ballistic and threatened me and I was afraid so I begged my husband to negotiate with the landlord to break the lease, and he did. The next place we moved to had an ok rent ($1500) but there were so many repairs, new things would break every week and the landlords would refuse to fix it, so we went to a higher end place ($1750) thinking we wouldn't have the same problems if we were willing to pay more. This place was great but somebody kept trying to break into our house and there were always footsteps in the backyard, police didn't catch the person, and I was afraid and again asked my husband to please break the lease so we could move. So we did, again, and now we are in this place.

I did always cook from scratch for many years, baking my own bread, all of that, I invented my own homemade dry cereal and homemade protein bars. Every time we moved, and with each new baby, I would stop and get takeout food for a season. I have examined my own habits and feel selfish and bad about it. We eat a lot of meat and have to cut down on that now. Aside from that we are going to try to lower our interest rates on our credit cards, lower our insurance, and ask the tax agency if we can set up a payment plan to pay it off long term. We did taxes with tax software, would it be worth the time to do it by hand and see if we get a lower figure? Are there ever errors with the software? I was shocked by the large figure. If I did it by hand it would take all day ~8 hours would I be wasting my time?

Ironically I went to private school for finance (hah), quit after a year because it wasn't what I wanted to do (was pressured into it by my father, once he was out of the picture I quit immediately) and it took me a year of hard living and not eating to pay off that school debt. I worked with show horses after that, but haven't worked since I first got pregnant 5 years ago and have no resume. We intended to have a traditional family with me staying home, but I am ok with working to help pay off the debt. I may try applying for a coffee shop or something or try to get some part time work in my old field with horses. The jobs I've had have been through word of mouth and I don't even remember when exactly I worked at which facilities and it might be tricky trying to make a resume and track down old contacts to help me as references. My midwife does not think I should work, but maybe in a couple weeks or something it will be ok to. I am skilled in childcare and housework if that counts for anything. I am especially great with tiny babies so I might try a night nanny or something like that which I think could pay well.

I am getting mixed answers about the cloth diapers and the deep freezer and I am not sure whether to go ahead and invest into them or not. We are spending $100 a month on diapers now as my daughter who is about to turn 4 regressed and stopped going potty right after she watched my husband injure his back. I think it stressed her out some and she is troubled by it, and nothing I do seems to make her go back to using the toilet and I have her back in pullups for now

The new meal plan I have made has homemade cereal for breakfast, sandwiches with homemade bread and canned fish for lunch, fruit and vegetables for snacks (cheaper ones like apples, oranges, carrots). For suppers I am going to do only 1 night of good meat, 1 night of sausages, 1 night of chicken, 2 nights of eggs, 1 night of liver, and 1 night of rice and beans or mac n cheese. Mostly served with homemade broth and cheap vegetables like onions, carrots, cabbage, frozen veg, seasonal/sale. And then do the last week of the month with really dirt cheap meals like peanut butter toast and rice and beans every night for one week to save a little extra money.

Once we run out of products I am going to go back to making my own like baby wipes and laundry soap, and try some other ones like deodorant and body lotion.

I was kind of overwhelmed and found it hard to reply to all the responses, tried to cover everything in this one post.

I am still feeling anxious and depressed about it but trying my best to stay cheerful for my husband and children. Feeling good with some hopeful solutions ahead :)

You criminally forgot to bold some parts :colbert:

BWM: It's horses all the way down.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Mar 19, 2016

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
Cheltenham is on. What better way to celebrate than buying a three piece tailored tweed suit. For my horse.
https://youtu.be/lZBxRns4mOM

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I mean, it's probably not any better with money to leave it untailored - your horse is unlikely to put it on in the morning if it doesn't fit well.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Plus, unless you want to work in the 'hello thank you for calling IT, you'll need to speak up I'm wearing a gigantic silkscreened Goku shirt and am on anxiety medication' glue factory, a nicely-tailored suit is essential.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

froglet posted:

Looks like she updated!

Why the gently caress do these people always insist on having children. Welp, we're broke with one extra mouth to feed oh look there's another now we're really sunk what are we gonna do oh look there's another.

Remember in Roger and Me, the sheriff's deputy who's going around evicting people, and he commented on the one woman who'd just gotten married? He said something along the lines of "why would you get married if you're poor, you can be poor on your own, you don't need help". That's 100x more true for having kids. If you're broke you don't need the help of a kid to be more broke, you're doing just fine at being broke without drastically increasing your responsibility.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

For all the people who quote platitudes like "it's not the destination, it's the journey" there are few who believe it. People think if they have 3 kids and a house and a truck NOW, they'll be happy adults. Every aspect of our consumer society discourages waiting for any of those things and getting your poo poo in order.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I've gotten some mass downvotes for suggesting on Reddit that people get their loving lives in order before they have kids. Steady jobs (can you survive on one income?), retirement funded with part of paycheck, 6 month emergency fund, etc.

People then argue that they'll have to be 30 before they have kids, if ever! I'm not sure why people have it so ingrained in their heads that they need kids at their own families sake. Hell, with the way the world is turning, I don't even see how 20-30% of low end jobs in the future are even going to exist.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
gently caress you, I'm great, my kids are great, you are whats wrong with this country.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Kids are great if you can afford them. I intend to have one in a few years. But if you can't, you're setting them up for a life of trying to beat a game rigged against them.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

For all the people who quote platitudes like "it's not the destination, it's the journey" there are few who believe it. People think if they have 3 kids and a house and a truck NOW, they'll be happy adults. Every aspect of our consumer society discourages waiting for any of those things and getting your poo poo in order.

That's it 100%.

My ex wanted kids more than anything in the world. I was working in construction, she was a PSW making like 13 bucks an hour (and that was pretty much top end for the job). Last thing we needed was something that cost as much money and time as a kid.

We broke up and she got with a new guy and had a kid within a year. A few months after the kid came the guy decided he wasn't down for the lifestyle and bailed. She's still working as a PSW, she lives with her parents in the middle of nowhere, with the kid. She's 33, no prospects, no education, no chance of bettering herself, and the dad's hosed right off.

Conversely, a friend of mine just had her third. She's a teacher with 10 years' experience, her husband is some high up labour relations guy with a law degree to boot. That's the situation I reckon you've got to be in to be thinking of children, or at least multiple children.

I Like Jell-O
May 19, 2004
I really do.

olylifter posted:

Conversely, a friend of mine just had her third. She's a teacher with 10 years' experience, her husband is some high up labour relations guy with a law degree to boot. That's the situation I reckon you've got to be in to be thinking of children, or at least multiple children.

Not to rock the boat here, but your reasoning is crap. While raising kids is a commitment, it doesn't really have to be all that expensive. You're never going to look in your budget and say "oh hey, I have a $10000 surplus. Time to have a kid!"

To put this in perspective, what would be going through your head if you heard one of your coworkers say "I just can't afford to save for retirement right now." It's probably the same thing that goes through my head when I hear someone say "we just can't afford a kid right now."

There are certainly people who shouldn't have kids, but it has little to do with how much money they make. It's not about finances, it's about maturity.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You'll never see you have a 10000 surplus, but you can plan for where you want to be when you have a kid. That can be a personal preference, your own line to get to, but a lot of people think no thought should be given to it at all.

The people in the linked story were in a bad situation after two kids. They should have waited before number three. They'll never be able to help their kids with college, they'll never retire, and unless one of their kids is quite rebellious, the cycle will continue with them.

Also while raising kids doesn't have to be expensive, it can be, especially if they're very ill or special needs. That's financial risk that is worth at least having a good solid situation for.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 20, 2016

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

TLG James posted:

I've gotten some mass downvotes for suggesting on Reddit that people get their loving lives in order before they have kids. Steady jobs (can you survive on one income?), retirement funded with part of paycheck, 6 month emergency fund, etc.

People then argue that they'll have to be 30 before they have kids, if ever! I'm not sure why people have it so ingrained in their heads that they need kids at their own families sake. Hell, with the way the world is turning, I don't even see how 20-30% of low end jobs in the future are even going to exist.

That would sort of imply that they were capable of thinking more than five minutes ahead of time.

Exposure to the white trash in my town has convinced me that they are literally incapable of doing so.

CONTENT:

My former co-worker, (not the debt defaulting one I mentioned previously), has decided to buy a new car. To be fair, his current car is on it's last legs.

So, he decided that he'll buy a 70's Ford with a busted engine, and swap in a working engine from another chassis one into it.

There are certain things that are questionable about this:

* He's got nowhere in his unit complex to store even one more car, let alone two.
* Said engine is supercharged, which will require premium fuel. Not to mention that it runs on a carburetor, which is less fuel efficient than fuel injection.
* He doesn't have any tools. (Usually, he borrows mine.)
* He has no mechanical experience. (For example, he asked me to replace his spark plugs, which is relatively dead simple.)
* His only point of reference is a post off a car related forum.
* His expert proposed team consists of him, his drug-hosed, chronically unemployed brother, and yours truly.
* He owes money to both his boss, and our local council. He got shaken down by G-Men at work, because he forgot about the latter.
* He stated that the only reason he wanted said car in the first place, is "to impress people".

Best case scenario that I can see is that it will rust in whatever place it's left in for fifteen years, much like my uncle's Holden Kingswood at my grandparents' house.

EDIT: While we are on the subject, he has two children to provide for.

Sic Semper Goon fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 20, 2016

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

To these people, having a right to something means they can have it with no consequences, and thanks in part to a certain vocal section of our country, their having children is a purely emotional decision.

If you can sacrifice, you can raise kids on a shockingly small amount of money. But that requires making adult decisions and most of the time not getting what you want because the kids need something, and people who make emotional decisions tend to go for quicker gratification (for various understandable reasons). You don't even have to be poor for that to be the case; almost all of the BWM people make enough money, they just spend it in stupid ways.

I don't truly believe most people are too stupid to learn, but the deck is stacked against many, and most are never going to be taught when the stakes are low. The US does not have a social safety net and our education system is a joke. Idiocracy was right, everyone is hosed.

I Like Jell-O
May 19, 2004
I really do.

Nail Rat posted:

The people in the linked story were in a bad situation after two kids. They should have waited before number three. They'll never be able to help their kids with college, they'll never retire, and unless one of their kids is quite rebellious, the cycle will continue with them.

You're right, but the reason they shouldn't have kids is because they aren't responsible parents, as you can see by their financial situation and poor planning. Their money problems are a symptom of their deficiencies, not the cause of them.

I mainly object to the concept that there is some "enough" amount of money you need to be making before you "should" have kids. If that's what you're waiting for, then you will never have kids.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Nail Rat posted:

Speaking of platitudes, I've seen numerous references to people saying "there's never a 'perfect' time to have a kid" as though that means that there's never a bad time to have a kid.

I Like Jell-O posted:

Not to rock the boat here, but your reasoning is crap. While raising kids is a commitment, it doesn't really have to be all that expensive. You're never going to look in your budget and say "oh hey, I have a $10000 surplus. Time to have a kid!"

To put this in perspective, what would be going through your head if you heard one of your coworkers say "I just can't afford to save for retirement right now." It's probably the same thing that goes through my head when I hear someone say "we just can't afford a kid right now."

There are certainly people who shouldn't have kids, but it has little to do with how much money they make. It's not about finances, it's about maturity.

It's not about "oh hey, I have a $10000 surplus. Time to have a kid!", it's about having some basic level of financial stability such that:

a. You won't find yourself struggling to get by the moment something goes wrong.

b. You can lead by example so that your kids hopefully won't grow up to be featured in some future version of this thread.

I Like Jell-O posted:

You're right, but the reason they shouldn't have kids is because they aren't responsible parents, as you can see by their financial situation and poor planning. Their money problems are a symptom of their deficiencies, not the cause of them.

I mainly object to the concept that there is some "enough" amount of money you need to be making before you "should" have kids. If that's what you're waiting for, then you will never have kids.

Well, technically there is some "enough" amount of money you need to be making, in the sense of being able to cover basic expenses and maintain a reasonable emergency fund. With what's been going on with housing, education, and healthcare, that can be a pretty good chunk of change these days. Plus there's really no shame in wanting to do more with your life than get by.

The problem is that so many people's idea of "enough money" involves blatant materialism as much as anything.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
If someone wants to have kids but has a lovely income there are ways to do it. Live with in-laws or other arrangements.

However no income and trying to maintain the American dream of house and two cars is bonkers.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

having baby crazy grandparents: GWM

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I Like Jell-O posted:

http://money.cnn.com/2014/08/18/pf/child-cost/

quote:

To raise a child born in 2013 to the age of 18, it will cost a middle-income couple just over $245,000, according to newly released estimates from the U.S. Department of Agriculture. That's up $4,260, or almost 2%, from the year before.

Estimates can vary widely depending on where you live and how much you earn.

High-income families who live in the urban Northeast, for example, are projected to spend nearly $455,000 to raise their child to the age of 18, while low-income rural families will spend much less, an estimated $145,500, according to the report.

The figures are based on the cost of housing, food, transportation, clothing, health care, education, child care and miscellaneous expenses, like haircuts and cell phones. But the estimates don't include the cost of college -- a big-ticket expense that keeps rising.

The average American doesn't even have $1000 in savings

No wonder so many American kids live in poverty

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

My favorite part of her update:

quote:

He says it is better to be in debt than to live in the ghetto where our children would be in an area with crime, drugs, and so on. Not long ago in the papers a child was raped over there.

I don't even know where they're living, but that is guaranteed to be a hilarious exaggeration.

Watch yo children! Everybody is gettin raped in the ghetto! Nicely shoehorned in a reference to how those !!! Syrian refugees !!! are also gobbling up all of the government aide.

Also lol at the husband's lack of awareness of his dire straits combined with dismissing his wife's legitimate fear for "hormones."

And it's OK because the average household or whatever has $20,000 in credit card debt, too!

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

EugeneJ posted:

http://money.cnn.com/2014/08/18/pf/child-cost/

The average American doesn't even have $1000 in savings

No wonder so many American kids live in poverty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McXV7tSA1Fw Stanhope loving nails it here.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

EugeneJ posted:

To raise a child born in 2013 to the age of 18, it will cost a middle-income couple just over $245,000, according to newly released estimates from the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

I know these are official figures, but this doesn't sound plausible.

A "middle income couple" earns about $50,000 per year. An average earning household with two kids would be spending 50% of GROSS income, i.e. ten years of gross earnings, to get them to age 18.

Did they assume that adding a kid proportionally increases housing and health care costs, etc?

My kid hasn't cost me nearly that much. We'd still live in the same two bedroom housr, and we'd be paying the same health care premiums either way. If you go the public school route, that's not a major factor, either. Kids eat, but not large amounts. Day care is the main expense that most kids entail. Gotta buy clothes, diapers, and misc expenses etc, but nothing more than a few grand a year.

Thesaurus fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 20, 2016

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
When did the american dream have two cars? I thought it was a house, a truck and a horse?

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Thesaurus posted:

I know these are official figures, but this doesn't sound plausible.

A "middle income couple" earns about $50,000 per year. An average earning household with two kids would be spending 50% of GROSS income, i.e. ten years of gross earnings, to get them to age 18.

Did they assume that adding a kid proportionally increases housing and health care costs, etc?

My kid hasn't cost me nearly that much. We'd still live in the same two bedroom housr, and we'd be paying the same health care premiums either way. If you go the public school route, that's not a major factor, either. Kids eat, but not large amounts. Day care is the main expense that most kids entail. Gotta buy clothes, diapers, and misc expenses etc, but nothing more than a few grand a year.
Is your health insurance subsidized through your employer? I don't understand why your health insurance premium would be the same as if you didn't have a child.

$250,000 for 18 years is a little under $14,000 per year. It sounds plausible to me, but I don't have a kid.

Food, clothes, doctors, prescriptions, dentistry, childcare, extra bedroom in your house, etc. It adds up. Some of those costs are covered by subsidized insurance, but it's still part of the cost, even if you're not the one paying for it. It's still part of your total compensation with your employer. So even if a middle income couple earns $50,000, their total compensation is higher than that. Not to mention tax breaks and credits for having children in your household.

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 20, 2016

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Devian666 posted:

When did the american dream have two cars? I thought it was a house, a truck and a horse?

Nah, it's six SUVs, a snowmobile in tropical Florida / jet ski in a landlocked state, and a McMansion. All "paid" for with no money down on credit.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Uranium 235 posted:

Is your health insurance subsidized through your employer? I don't understand why your health insurance premium would be the same as if you didn't have a child.

$250,000 for 18 years is a little under $14,000 per year. It sounds plausible to me, but I don't have a kid.

Food, clothes, doctors, prescriptions, dentistry, childcare, extra bedroom in your house, etc. It adds up. Some of those costs are covered by subsidized insurance, but it's still part of the cost, even if you're not the one paying for it. It's still part of your total compensation with your employer. So even if a middle income couple earns $50,000, their total compensation is higher than that. Not to mention tax breaks and credits for having children in your household.

It depends on how the insurance is set up. Some plans only have "employee" and "employee plus family" premiums as opposed to "employee", "employee plus spouse", and "employee plus family" categories.

I Like Jell-O
May 19, 2004
I really do.

Uranium 235 posted:

Its crazypants numbers. I will soon have 3 kids. By those numbers, I would be $42000 richer if I didn't have those kids. Would it take me $70000 per year to raise 5 kids? That is so blatantly a headline grabbing, exaggerated number that I can't believe that anyone would take it seriously. I'm not saying you COULDN'T spend $14000 per year on a kid, you just don't HAVE to. Its not what a kid "costs".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

I Like Jell-O posted:

Its crazypants numbers. I will soon have 3 kids. By those numbers, I would be $42000 richer if I didn't have those kids. Would it take me $70000 per year to raise 5 kids? That is so blatantly a headline grabbing, exaggerated number that I can't believe that anyone would take it seriously. I'm not saying you COULDN'T spend $14000 per year on a kid, you just don't HAVE to. Its not what a kid "costs".

Yep, they are made up for headlines. My parents had 5, and they haven't netted $70k a year in take home pay pre-, during-, or post-children.

• Locked thread