Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Feenix posted:

Word, thanks. One more question. I wanted to check out Magic. I put a point in it, but I guess all I have is a Prayer so far (past first Brand). When/how would I go about using Magic?

Prayers and incantations you equip to slots (located below the item slots on the equipment menu) and are used as items, thus you don't need any special gear for them. Spells are cast with either wands or staves. Wands are equipped in the offhand only and allow one spell to be equipped at a time (if you've used a crossbow or pistol it's like the ammo you equip for those). Staves are equipped in the main hand and must be 2handed but let you have two spells equipped (used with square and triangle). To use any sort of magic you need the proper level unlocked in the skill tree.

Magic can either be purchased from mages/clerics you summon in Sanctuaries or is found out in the world. Mages/clerics get more magic to sell if you've ranked up in your covenant (summon a leader to a Sanctuary and complete quests which is offering a certain number of certain materials). I think you get your first few more at rank 3.

Question: where do I go to get the air dash brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Digirat posted:

I haven't tried magic yet so I don't know if there's any areas you want to beeline for, but you can get a wizard who sells a few spells and staves if you use a stone mage at a sanctuary.

I just got a secret-isa item called Lightning Barrage and I can't figure out how to equip it.

[ed] Oh I don't have a stave or a wand.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Genocyber posted:

Question: where do I go to get the air dash brand.

Top floor of the ziggurat. iirc you'll need the red and blue brands to get there.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Hah I just realized I hobbled myself a bit by sticking with the woodwraiths. Ah well.

Also while I really do enjoy the game, the designers have really, really shamelessly cribbed the souls series, I mean, come on underground lake with branchless tree trunks

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Feenix posted:

Word, thanks. One more question. I wanted to check out Magic. I put a point in it, but I guess all I have is a Prayer so far (past first Brand). When/how would I go about using Magic?

I played magic from the very beginning entirely naked. I used a dagger for the first area intermittently, then never again. I think it's best to devote 100% to magic

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

NotAnArtist posted:

Hah I just realized I hobbled myself a bit by sticking with the woodwraiths. Ah well.

Also while I really do enjoy the game, the designers have really, really shamelessly cribbed the souls series, I mean, come on underground lake with branchless tree trunks

There's absolutely some clear nods I mean gravelord nito is a boss

At the end of the day the difference between being derivative and an homage is how much you like the thing.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

lets hang out posted:

Top floor of the ziggurat. iirc you'll need the red and blue brands to get there.

You only need the magelight brand to get it.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I am very glad money is virtually worthless because some mysterious cleric is damned near a billionaire after all my deaths to the lake's boss, ugh.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
So I beat the game the other day, and I really love my experience. I'd love to come back and try a mage/sword whip character, but I'm going to let it settle for a while first. Here are some positive observations:

1) Greathammer did me right. I rolled a Knight and ended with one rank in Prayers and a heavy emphasis on heavy armor, swords, and greathammers. Towards the end I was able to kill almost everything with very little trouble so long as I kept the wind up and recovery periods on my mind while fighting.

2) Damage types are very important. If a boss or area is hard to pass through, mix up your armor to compensate. I never once had to grind to beat a boss; if I was stuck, I would change my armor to shore up whatever weakness the enemy was exploiting. This suffers a little if you've heavily upgraded one breastplate (for example) and switching is a huge drop in other defenses, but getting the basic upgrade materials, finding a blacksmith, and getting back to the furthest sanctuary is very easy once you've explored a bit.

3) Keep a one-handed weapon upgraded. I can't speak for magic-using classes, but a few of the later bosses trounced me when I used my hammer and kept me from making any real progress into killing them. When I switched to a shield, I was able to tank most any attack and follow up with a counter. I hadn''t been focusing on an alternative weapon up to this point, so the bosses were manageable wars of attrition, but they were still manageable.

4) You can take an oath without upsetting your creed. I wish I had known this earlier, but I didn't until I uncovered the last, hidden creed. If you find a sanctuary dedicated to a different creed than your own (likely either The Three of the Woodspirit(?)) you can take the oath at the shrine to offer other stone figures and use the shops. Then you can go back to your previous sanctuary and take their oath again to switch back. I only did this once but I don't see an issue with it. The gods get pissed when you attempt to desecrate it with a Stained Page, but not when you've decided to dip your toe in another belief system. I wish I had known this so I could have activated leaders to the different creeds and got access to different items.

5) Devora is so-so. She's a creed that focuses on prayers and holy power, but I didn't see the item selections of the merchant or blacksmith improve at all as I completed her missions. The holy buff item and I became close friends over the course of the game, but I bet a Knight could get more use out of a different creed.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

NESguerilla posted:

The only exception being that alchemist guy who was really obnoxious my first two tries until my third try where I just pinned him into a corner and literally stun locked him to death. That fight was dumb.

Oh I kind of liked the Alchemist, it seemed like a good "lesson" -- I had beaten the other 3 or so bosses up to that point by turtling with a shield and waiting for a chance to do follow-up attacks but all the enemy spawns and poison spam in that fight made that totally futile and the only option was being aggressive. It felt good being forced to switch poo poo up; I think pinning him in the corner is intentionally the optimal strategy given his low HP pool compared to other bosses & how overwhelming the battlefield gets if you drag the fight out.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

LawfulWaffle posted:

4) You can take an oath without upsetting your creed. I wish I had known this earlier, but I didn't until I uncovered the last, hidden creed. If you find a sanctuary dedicated to a different creed than your own (likely either The Three of the Woodspirit(?)) you can take the oath at the shrine to offer other stone figures and use the shops. Then you can go back to your previous sanctuary and take their oath again to switch back. I only did this once but I don't see an issue with it. The gods get pissed when you attempt to desecrate it with a Stained Page, but not when you've decided to dip your toe in another belief system. I wish I had known this so I could have activated leaders to the different creeds and got access to different items.

That's weird, when I took another oath I lost access to my old items, had to get my sin pardoned, then when I switched back I had to redo the leader quests to get my old items back. On the other hand this does allow you to change what items you've picked from your original creed if you don't like them. I went from the Three to Fire and Sky then back to Three.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
A good rule of thumb in this game is that shields are way more useful overall than they are in Dark Souls; that said, you still suffer to rely on them. The trick to the cyclops, for instance, is to tank all his attacks EXCEPT his overhead swing, which is the only one that you can safely roll behind him for to get some hits in. All the others have a hit box on the opposite end of him to punish you from rolling without pitch perfect timing.

goferchan posted:

Oh I kind of liked the Alchemist, it seemed like a good "lesson" -- I had beaten the other 3 or so bosses up to that point by turtling with a shield and waiting for a chance to do follow-up attacks but all the enemy spawns and poison spam in that fight made that totally futile and the only option was being aggressive. It felt good being forced to switch poo poo up; I think pinning him in the corner is intentionally the optimal strategy given his low HP pool compared to other bosses & how overwhelming the battlefield gets if you drag the fight out.

I enjoy the irony that he is susceptible to poison, although his resistance is decent.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Feenix posted:

So if I like Greatswords I should not fear upgrading it for the worry of wasting upgrade resources on a weapon when I may find a better one, because it's just one I keep upgrading?

Ok so yeah this is one of the things that's also very different than Dark Souls, whether it's good or bad is up for grabs, but as far as weapons go (unlike armor & shields where, like Dark Souls, you're usually discovering the good poo poo via exploration) pretty much all the good poo poo is only obtainable by Transmutation. I know the sanctuary outside of the Alchemist boss fight has a guy who can do Transmutation after it, but I assume there are more options later. You can use the drops you get from enemies or the unique guaranteed drops from bosses + salt to transmute your weapons into better ones (sometimes ones that have unique effects and movesets) -- upgrade as you please, and note that you can transmute weapons back and forth as many times as you please, but each time you transmute your weapon will drop one upgrade level so your basic Greatsword +4 will turn into a Special Legendary Greatsword +3 or whatever when you transmute it. More and more options open up as you get new drops from enemies/bosses -- for example, looking at Greatswords, right now I can transmute the basic one into either an even-bigger-gently caress-off Greatsword or a Moonlight Greatsword ripoff (homage? jury still out as with everything else) that scales off both Strength and Magic.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Internet Friend posted:

That's weird, when I took another oath I lost access to my old items, had to get my sin pardoned, then when I switched back I had to redo the leader quests to get my old items back. On the other hand this does allow you to change what items you've picked from your original creed if you don't like them. I went from the Three to Fire and Sky then back to Three.

Pretty sure Three functions differently. Their healing item specifically says that it won't work for Apostates which is what the game says you will become when you abandon their creed. Some of the others are possibly a little less strict

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

LawfulWaffle posted:

If you do this can you just end up getting tons of different items from each different creed everytime you walk in a shrine room?

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Irrespective of your creed the number of heal/energy potions is constant based on your skill tree. The number of bonuses changes based on the perks you have received from your creed.

Or at least, that seems to be how my game is going.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

NotAnArtist posted:

Irrespective of your creed the number of heal/energy potions is constant based on your skill tree. The number of bonuses changes based on the perks you have received from your creed.

The leaders of the faction summoned by the stone leader offering gives you quest, you turn in monster drops in 5/7? 6/7? of the creeds anin exchange for a pmernanent increase to an item each time you rest there, it's heal potion, stamina potion, buff item and...something? This is what increasing devotion gives.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

NotAnArtist posted:

The base # of "Estus flasks" is based off your skill tree; making offerings to a leader at one of your own creed's sanctuaries lets you get even more healing items when you rest at one of your creed's sanctuaries (or another consumable of your choosing, for example the stone dudes you encounter in the forest give you the option to receive the consumable that applies temporary poison damage to your weapon every time you rest or the poison throwing knives or whatever) -- at least I think that's how it works? This is assuming all creeds work consistently

edit: like right now I get 5 healing items if I rest at any other sanctuary, but I've increased my devotion twice with the Stone creed and asked for more healing items each time & if I rest at a sanctuary under their control I'll get 7

goferchan fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 20, 2016

Reksi
Sep 26, 2007

So It Goes posted:

I've been there, after exhausting the knight's cave dialogue (I did the cave before the ruined temple). He never appeared there so there's something more going on with the NPC questlines. Especially considering the other guy saying a different NPC was in the sport where the sorcerer is (what NPC was it I wonder?)

Disregard me as I am an idiot. I confused them because they have the same hair and facial hair.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

goferchan posted:

The alchemist can be a really RNG based fight. I had a ton of rounds against him where he just sat in the middle and spammed the slimes until the lower area was so full that they would just stunlock me with their grab. Other times he hangs out on the platforms and does his easily dodged lighting/fire spells.

The concept is okay, but his AI is just in need of some serious tweaking. Limit the amount or at least rate at which he spawns slimes, ensure he moves around a bit more. As is you can have a lot of bullshit deaths or a bullshit win if the RNG is dumb, and it kind of pushes the fight into a DPS race, which never makes for a fun boss fight.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Bugblatter posted:

The alchemist can be a really RNG based fight. I had a ton of rounds against him where he just sat in the middle and spammed the slimes until the lower area was so full that they would just stunlock me with their grab. Other times he hangs out on the platforms and does his easily dodged lighting/fire spells.

The concept is okay, but his AI is just in need of some serious tweaking. Limit the amount or at least rate at which he spawns slimes, ensure he moves around a bit more. As is you can have a lot of bullshit deaths or a bullshit win if the RNG is dumb, and it kind of pushes the fight into a DPS race, which never makes for a fun boss fight.

His slimes should be dying in a few hits though. I find it weird, I've never had a problem the 5 times I've fought him across multiple builds. His orb attack is the scariest one, he's easy to just pour damage on.

Funny how different everyones experience seems to be with a lot of bosses

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bugblatter posted:

Similarly, against the tree of men, there's nothing keeping all three flamethrowers on one side from turning on at once. If you are on that side or were about to climb up there, get hosed

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

the worst thing about the flamethrowers is the way they melt your maximum hp

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bugblatter posted:

The biggest flaw (which is ok with me because I thought he was annoying) is that if you can get him to jump up on a platform you can pin him in a corner and he can't touch you since all of his attacks go onto the ground.

Is there a way to cancel climbing up on a ledge? If there isn't there really should be.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Not to my knowledge but I'm pretty sure you are 100% invincible while climbing because I've seen several big attacks go right through me.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Pladdicus posted:

The leaders of the faction summoned by the stone leader offering gives you quest, you turn in monster drops in 5/7? 6/7? of the creeds anin exchange for a pmernanent increase to an item each time you rest there, it's heal potion, stamina potion, buff item and...something? This is what increasing devotion gives.

Is there ever a point in summoning an additional leader for the same faction? Or should you be taking a different oath for each stone leader? Also if I swear an oath to a new faction, will I get the leader benefits from the previous faction?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Megasabin posted:

Is there ever a point in summoning an additional leader for the same faction? Or should you be taking a different oath for each stone leader? Also if I swear an oath to a new faction, will I get the leader benefits from the previous faction?

You get a salt bonus which is good if you're farming. There's enough stone leaders to go around but if you want to be safe dump one leader per creed. Nothing caries over when you swear to a new creed, you're an apostate with your old creed and you have to remove your sin with the white lady if you want to go back to your old creed.

On another note I tried a cleric/pistol/whip build and it was pretty painful until I got guardian blade and now it's pretty awesome with damage output almost comparable to Great-weapons + really good survivablility.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I always start these games playing really smart, then end up running around with a giant sword simply twatting everything in the face.

Using the Sodden Knight's sword and the starter plate without a helmet. What's Berserk???

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Lakbay posted:

You get a salt bonus which is good if you're farming. There's enough stone leaders to go around but if you want to be safe dump one leader per creed. Nothing caries over when you swear to a new creed, you're an apostate with your old creed and you have to remove your sin with the white lady if you want to go back to your old creed.

On another note I tried a cleric/pistol/whip build and it was pretty painful until I got guardian blade and now it's pretty awesome with damage output almost comparable to Great-weapons + really good survivablility.

If nothing carries over then there is no point in really doing different leader quests right? It's not like you can combine the rewards and get 20 potions everytime you go to a sanctuary?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've stuck with devara and have 4 or 5 devotion now on my sword and ranged weapon character, was wondering if I was missing out by ignoring the other creeds. From the last few posts it looks like the only things your creed affects is what consumable buff and throwable they sell, what healing item they give you, and what replenishing stuff you get from turning in items to the leader. Anything else that differentiates them?

Unless there's something else it seems like you should just pick the one that suits you best and stick with it for the whole game, unless there is some way to switch creeds without losing your devotion and having to turn in a second copy of the items when you switch back.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Megasabin posted:

If nothing carries over then there is no point in really doing different leader quests right? It's not like you can combine the rewards and get 20 potions everytime you go to a sanctuary?

I think some creeds have vendors who stock better items depending on how high your devotion is with the creed, and the leader quests increase devotion. So I imagine that there's some perfect combo of vendors and leaders to get all the best items, but I don't know what it is. Devora didn't seem to get new items, but I didn't keep a close eye on the prayers which would be the most likely item to increase for that creed.

e: I still don't know about acquiring sin when you take another oath. I did it with the Betrayer (I defiled the Three's sanctuary) and was able to go back to a Devora sanctuary and take their oath without any penalty. And if you're going to defile a sanctuary, make sure you lose the first time so you can get access to the last creed and its trophy.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Mar 20, 2016

exser
Aug 18, 2003

AzMiLion posted:

Filling the screen with lightning and fire birns through energy phials fast. Even with half focus cost

This is from a few pages back, but where do you get half energy cost?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

I think some creeds have vendors who stock better items depending on how high your devotion is with the creed, and the leader quests increase devotion. So I imagine that there's some perfect combo of vendors and leaders to get all the best items, but I don't know what it is. Devora didn't seem to get new items, but I didn't keep a close eye on the prayers which would be the most likely item to increase for that creed.

e: I still don't know about acquiring sin when you take another oath. I did it with the Betrayer (I defiled the Three's sanctuary) and was able to go back to a Devora sanctuary and take their oath without any penalty. And if you're going to defile a sanctuary, make sure you lose the first time so you can get access to the last creed and its trophy.

Yup, the merchant tends to sell more items, the blacksmith more weapons, and the mage (and I assume cleric) more magic. Most of the good stuff starts happening at rank 3 IIRC. Some notable ones: Iron/Three at rank 3 gets you more Kureimoas, most of the creeds let you get a fintlock pistol from someone at rank 3, and Splendor lets you buy Diamond Clusters (For 0G; probably a glitch), at rank 3/4 (forget which).

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Trying out my new spell on a boss! (Dried king)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzqRkCb7I7g
The next two boss fights were just about the same.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Kobogartimer posted:

Trying out my new spell on a boss! (Dried king)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzqRkCb7I7g
The next two boss fights were just about the same.

Welp. I suddenly really want a spell caster. :stare:

What's the difference between staves and wands? Does anyone bother with a conventional weapon to supplement the spells?

Ugh I also want to try a hunter. Whips and guns sound really fun.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Boss difficulty seems all over the place. I flattened the Untouched Inquisitor, the Third Lamb and the Tree of Men no problem, but that loving Disemboweled Husk just stunlocks me with his blunderbuss and I can't even get close. :psyduck:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

poor life choice posted:

What's the difference between staves and wands? Does anyone bother with a conventional weapon to supplement the spells?

My first build was a Hunter and it didn't go well. It doesn't help that I couldn't find any guns before the Castle of Storms, the default crossbow requires the Kraken Horn to upgrade, and whips seem to be pretty crappy weapons - they don't hit very hard and their scaling distribution moves into a combination of DEX and STR as you upgrade.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

poor life choice posted:

Staffs are two handed and let you cast two spells

wand are one handed of offhand and let you use a weapon.

I prefer staffs but early on you want a wand in a slot.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
The jump to The Forgotten King is the hardest boss in the game for me. I watched a youtube and I still can't do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Lakbay posted:

The jump to The Forgotten King is the hardest boss in the game for me. I watched a youtube and I still can't do it.

Maybe this will help, I almost never fail now but it doesn't fit easily into words its just something you gotta experiment with. Took me dozens of falls.

From sanctuary go left, drop down until your at the platform above it. Drop to the ledge and dash jump over to the platform down and to the right so that the door is to the left of you, then just jump dash to the right. The trick is to time your dashes.

This is super vague and likely unhelpful.

Unless you mean the boss itself then uh

good luck it's a nightmare. Fight them one on one where you can and focus them down. I go for staff guy first. The trick is to run to the opposite side of the arena and hope they split up a bit to get a few easy hits.

• Locked thread