Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Plom Bar posted:

HEY THAT'S A NEAT GUN HANGING ON THAT WALL DON'T YOU THINK SO ANTON CHEKHOV HUH HUH DON'T YA THINK??.
:golfclap: Giggle.

quote:

Similarly, Dave never passes up an opportunity to bring up his Reluctant Hero bit, but something has to come of the contrast of his words and his deeds (when Jade was killed in the Game Over timeline, Dave did not hesitate to leap into action in a manner that was practically soundtracked by Bonnie Tyler). And Jade just had her conversation with Lady Masse that entails a big important role she's stuck waiting in the sidelines to play.
I am conflicted between "the narrative's predictions are always wrong" and "Davepetasprite is correct, and Dave will express heroism in some other way than killing LE." I agree that when the chips are down, Dave acts unhesitatingly; I think he may just be part of the team instead of the Designated Battle-Turning Hero.

quote:

John hasn't really had much character development at all. He's been sort of passively moving through the story, being lead around by one force or another, rarely taking any action on his own initiative.
Interesting. My impression is that, since DO SOM3TH1NG, John has gotten a lot grimmer and more task-driven. John is still 98% goof, but the other 2% is aware that people (as opposed to imps and constructs) lie, and murder, and do things that are un-John-like, and that many people are unworthy of being treated as possible chums. A big signifier of this, to me, is his transition from "Vriska is a fun person but she does bad things!" to cheergrimly informing Vriska that he is happy to punch her again, and to leaving her as "maaaaybe Vriska" in his list of all the people he likes. It is possible, although unlikely, that he's going to cut back on "Not going to think about that, it's too complicated and/or sad."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Plom Bar posted:

John, on the other hand, doesn't seem to have any loose character growth threads dangling. Actually, thinking on it, John hasn't really had much character development at all. He's been sort of passively moving through the story, being lead around by one force or another, rarely taking any action on his own initiative. He's formidable and more than capable, but in general, I'd say that he, as a person, has evolved the least, and stands to evolve the least in the remaining story.

You mean like, say, a video game protagonist?

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
So this probably falls under 'incredibly obvious poo poo', but I twigged onto something a little bit ago that I never noticed before. It's been a reasonably popular theory that SBURB itself will somehow turn out to be the ultimate villain of the story, and there was that little speech about how there's always a bigger villain too. And then I went over Caliborn's discussion of his future, and remembered that ARquissprite ended up as part of Lord English. A character that's part troll, part AI, and part game construct- so, in a way, the big baddie was part SBURB all along.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

kvx687 posted:

So this probably falls under 'incredibly obvious poo poo', but I twigged onto something a little bit ago that I never noticed before. It's been a reasonably popular theory that SBURB itself will somehow turn out to be the ultimate villain of the story, and there was that little speech about how there's always a bigger villain too. And then I went over Caliborn's discussion of his future, and remembered that ARquissprite ended up as part of Lord English. A character that's part troll, part AI, and part game construct- so, in a way, the big baddie was part SBURB all along.

I honestly think Vriska's gonna be involved in the creation of Skaia somehow, probably being the thing that decides where the meteors go, making her responsible for unfathomable destruction and also being an ironic punishment for her: she's the person doing one of the most important things in all of paradox space, but she's only able to do that one job.

As a bonus you can't spell Vriska without most of Skaia, though that's almost certainly a happy coincidence.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Akett posted:

As a bonus you can't spell Vriska without most of Skaia, though that's almost certainly a happy coincidence.

That's not even a coincidence. That barely even qualifies as "a thing that is trivially true".

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
you also cant spell Vriska without Risk, which says to me that shes going to be doomed to play against someone who just sits in Australia for hours and hours until everyone else quits and they win by default

e. her light powers will be of no help because if youre stuck playing Risk then you are already, by definition, poo poo out of luck

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

riskstuck

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
You can't spell "Vriska Serket" without "Taker revs ski", which means Vriska (the Thief, or taker) will drive a snowmobile directly into the heart of Lord English.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Plom Bar posted:

You can't spell "Vriska Serket" without "Taker revs ski", which means Vriska (the Thief, or taker) will drive a snowmobile directly into the heart of Lord English.

and then Meenah suplexes him through a table

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

paranoid randroid posted:

and then Meenah suplexes him through a table

Whose name you can't spell without "Exes hip enema" which is unfortunate news for either Aranea or Vriska.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Plom Bar posted:

"Taker revs ski"

Alpine Taker was the best gimmick :allears:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Plom Bar posted:

Whose name you can't spell without "Exes hip enema" which is unfortunate news for either Aranea or Vriska.

You can't spell "Aranea Serket" without "Karate Ranees" so, uhhhhhhhhhhhh

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Who What Now posted:

That's not even a coincidence. That barely even qualifies as "a thing that is trivially true".

You're absolutely right. I just thought I'd pad my odd prediction with a goofy "evidence" that I noticed.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

you also cant spell Vriska without Risk, which says to me that shes going to be doomed to play against someone who just sits in Australia for hours and hours until everyone else quits and they win by default

e. her light powers will be of no help because if youre stuck playing Risk then you are already, by definition, poo poo out of luck

Now I want to see the Homestuck cast playing Diplomacy.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Keiya posted:

Now I want to see the Homestuck cast playing Diplomacy.

Terezi annihilates everyone without breaking a sweat, grinning like a shark the whole time.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Terezi annihilates everyone without breaking a sweat, grinning like a shark the whole time.
Everyone except Vriska, who seems poised to win, but then falls victim to her own hubris. This, of course, was Terezi's plan all along.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Poison Mushroom posted:

Everyone except Vriska, who seems poised to win, but then falls victim to her own hubris. This, of course, was Terezi's plan all along.

or it comes down to just the two of them, at which point they announce theyre forming the Union of Austro-Hungary-Turkey and declare a joint victory. objections that such a thing is "totally loving stupid" and "not even in the rules" are overruled with loud, self-satisfied laughter.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 19, 2016

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

or it comes down to just the two of them, at which point they announce theyre forming the Union of Austro-Hungary-Turkey and declare a joint victory. objections that such a thing is "totally loving stupid" and "not even in the rules" are overruled with loud, self-satisfied laughter.

Off to the side, Eridan is playing Italy and looking sad.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Nepeta and Dave took their tanks off the board and are now in the corner playing pretend. Dave has stacked his into a 'tanka-zord', Nepeta's are actually Leopard-tanks and pounce on the tanka-zord. They are the only ones actually having fun with the game.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Nah, John would have fun. He'd be terrible at it, of course, but he'd have fun anyway.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i think Diplomacy could drive even John to experience real, powerful feelings of hatred.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Equius accidentally breaks all the pieces, sweats all over the board. Game over.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

John keeps asking if anybody wants to play Cards Against Humanity or Munchkin instead.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
john no :smith:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

JOHN YES

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Someone brings up Exploding Kittens.

Nepeta is no longer having fun.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Kanaya, in spite of having knowledge of the rules and common strategies bordering on encyclopedic, is consistently the first player out.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
CCG tries to ally with PCG because FCG has been trying to invade the whole game. But suddenly PCG stabs him in the back and starts helping FCG. CCG becomes FCG and retaliates against PCG, who used to be CCG. Somehow the neutral territories end up winning.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

creationist believer posted:

CCG tries to ally with PCG because FCG has been trying to invade the whole game. But suddenly PCG stabs him in the back and starts helping FCG. CCG becomes FCG and retaliates against PCG, who used to be CCG. Somehow the neutral territories end up winning.

Dave keeps feeding the Neutral territories somehow. "Go plucky Sweden!"

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Brb, making the "Homestuck boardgame night AU" tumblr. It's a testament to Hussie's writing and Homestuck's lasting success that you can pick any mundane thing and run the cast through it and come up with a set of plausible scenarios off the top of your head.

It's video game night. Jade is the undisputed queen of the FPS deathmatch and gets uncomfortably vulgar over Vent.

Everyone has a youtube channel. John makes a pranking series but instead of traumatizing his friends or getting his rear end beat he does old-timey vaudeville slapstick.

The trolls go shoe-shopping. Feferi buys crocs.

Edit: Boardgame night would come to a screeching halt after they start playing Mafia and Karkat gets killed off first every time without fail, leading to a category-5 shouty meltdown.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Mar 20, 2016

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Dolash posted:

Edit: Boardgame night would come to a screeching halt after they start playing Mafia and Karkat gets killed off first every time without fail, leading to a category-5 shouty meltdown.
Vriska is a Villager but acts like a Mafia member just to screw with people, then complains when she gets hanged.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Dolash posted:

Brb, making the "Homestuck boardgame night AU" tumblr. It's a testament to Hussie's writing and Homestuck's lasting success that you can pick any mundane thing and run the cast through it and come up with a set of plausible scenarios off the top of your head.

It's video game night. Jade is the undisputed queen of the FPS deathmatch and gets uncomfortably vulgar over Vent.

Everyone has a youtube channel. John makes a pranking series but instead of traumatizing his friends or getting his rear end beat he does old-timey vaudeville slapstick.

The trolls go shoe-shopping. Feferi buys crocs.

I read somewhere that if you want to write good characters, one of the best ways to develop and explore their personalities is to put them into random situations and think about how they'd act.

I wonder how many bullshit things Hussie put the individual kids and trolls through before they got introduced.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Poker night. It's a dead heat between Dave and Dirk. Rose was holding her own better than the others, until some one poured a drink.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Terezi would do great but she's not allowed to play because she gets the cards all sticky.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Homestuck characters playing Russian roulette

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

That's one we can all play.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Remember that time Tavros danced?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M2dJtIcZzSc

That was fun.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

They play Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes every so often when they want to watch Karkat going over 9000 on the apeshit scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
They play cool poo poo like MAdden and CoD on the XBox One. :D