Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think a lot of the disagreement over this season is going to be between people who liked Punisher better and people who like Elektra better.

I thought both characters, and both actors, were amazing personally.

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Yeah I liked both, though I basically know nothing of Elektra outside of Man Without Fear which I haven't read in over a decade, so I can understand if some how people found this version unbearably inaccurate or something.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

Yeah I liked both, though I basically know nothing of Elektra outside of Man Without Fear which I haven't read in over a decade, so I can understand if some how people found this version unbearably inaccurate or something.

I've read more of her as this dour post-resurrection killing machine struggling with her past and while she's certainly more Selina Kyle in the series, I think it works to balance the dour, struggling Matt character and allows him to seem more relaxed and natural.

It doesn't hurt that Cox and Yung have ridiculous chemistry, really helps to sell the Elektra as the love of Matt's life against whom all others will be compared. Nothing sucks worse than forced romances especially when the characters are destined to get together because of the source material.

Spoilers all I'm a little disappointed that they killed her this way instead of the comics way. I know it's not fair to tie adaptations' hands like that, but it's such an iconic moment that affects both DD and Elektra so much and establishes Bullseye so well that I don't really know how they can skip it. I guess the could have him kill her again but that won't have near as much impact. Also, I wanted to see how they homaged the famous panels on the show when that all went down. When she stabbed that dude through the car seat, and it just pushed out his shirt instead of going through, I thought that was a clear nod to the original page.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

ufarn posted:

Not that I recall, no. I also found that weird. Maybe it's just a regular security company, given (2x05) it'd take some hacking or whatever to set up that intrusion detector in the first place.
End of series spoilers
I think it's fair to say that the van either belonged to Reyes or the Blacksmith. Every shady conspiracy thing that occurs can be tied to one or the other.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

I've read more of her as this dour post-resurrection killing machine struggling with her past and while she's certainly more Selina Kyle in the series, I think it works to balance the dour, struggling Matt character and allows him to seem more relaxed and natural.

It doesn't hurt that Cox and Yung have ridiculous chemistry, really helps to sell the Elektra as the love of Matt's life against whom all others will be compared. Nothing sucks worse than forced romances especially when the characters are destined to get together because of the source material.

Spoilers all I'm a little disappointed that they killed her this way instead of the comics way. I know it's not fair to tie adaptations' hands like that, but it's such an iconic moment that affects both DD and Elektra so much and establishes Bullseye so well that I don't really know how they can skip it. I guess the could have him kill her again but that won't have near as much impact. Also, I wanted to see how they homaged the famous panels on the show when that all went down. When she stabbed that dude through the car seat, and it just pushed out his shirt instead of going through, I thought that was a clear nod to the original page.

More likely this kill

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh, well I'd say so.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Maybe I recall incorrectly, but the first two seasons of Arrow had pretty awesome fight scenes. But yeah, they're complete garbage now either way.

One problem this season of Daredevil had for me was that the "power rankings" were completely arbitrary depending on what the plot demanded. One minute someone's wiping the floor with the other person, the next it's completely flipped. That felt really dumb, especially because the events felt dictated by an external script instead of internal logic.

BrianWilly posted:

End of series spoilers
I think it's fair to say that the van either belonged to Reyes or the Blacksmith. Every shady conspiracy thing that occurs can be tied to one or the other.
It ultimately wasn't too important, outside the weird fact that the place was completely intact and someone must have wanted it that way.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Elektra, one would assume, is a lady with lightning powers who wants to gently caress her dad.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Am I the only one who hopes they never try to fully integrate the Netflix characters with the Movie Universe? I know "technically" they are the same universe, but it's hard to have the brutal r-rated violence in this season exist in the same world where a full-scale alien invasion of New York causing property destruction equivalent to multiple 9/11 scale attacks only had 74 (offscreen) deaths. I'm pretty sure they topped that bodycount in this season alone.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The Avengers references in the Netflix series are so bizarre I can't imagine that ever happening. They're by far the most weirdly jarring thing about them. Daredevil season 2 was nice break from the out-of-place references and lip service that didn't fit in very well in JJ and DD S01. The tone is also completely different.

The only crossover I'd be interested to see would be a Hawkeye reboot based on the Fraction run.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
The Paper had a hardcopy room because of "The Incident" meaning The Avengers wiped out the computer databases, so the season wasn't free of references.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

There were also papers showing the Hulk/Abomination fight in Harlem and the Chitauri invasion in Ben Urich's office.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

SirDan3k posted:

The Paper had a hardcopy room because of "The Incident" meaning The Avengers wiped out the computer databases, so the season wasn't free of references.
I know, but that was also one of the - few - dumb references that felt out of place. Who the hell describes that as "The Incident".

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

The Netflix shows seem to have some separation where the MCU movies exist but they refuse to directly refer to any character or events in anything but vague terms.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dacap posted:

Am I the only one who hopes they never try to fully integrate the Netflix characters with the Movie Universe? I know "technically" they are the same universe, but it's hard to have the brutal r-rated violence in this season exist in the same world where a full-scale alien invasion of New York causing property destruction equivalent to multiple 9/11 scale attacks only had 74 (offscreen) deaths. I'm pretty sure they topped that bodycount in this season alone.

The Netflix characters will most likely show up in Infinity War, but probably as just a glorified cameos.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

So far it's pretty close to the Man without Fear one

Yeah, it's been making me laugh at those pre-release statements by Frank saying "NOT MAH 'LEKTRA" when it's SO clearly right out of that book. I'm only on ep 5, and I can totally see Elodie Yung walking down a dark alley just so she can get off on maiming muggers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Miller hasn't seen anything of the show. He considers any Elektra he didn't write fake, because apparently they made a promise not to bring her back or something.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Aphrodite posted:

Miller hasn't seen anything of the show. He considers any Elektra he didn't write fake, because apparently they made a promise not to bring her back or something.

Then he brought her back in one of his later issues.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Best thing so far was when some guy in the TVIV thread was bitching about the Hand being a cheap Foot Clan knock off.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

zoux posted:

Best thing so far was when some guy in the TVIV thread was bitching about the Hand being a cheap Foot Clan knock off.

Holy poo poo

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm watching Daredevil, and oh, wow, what a neat twist.

Special Guest Star: Vincent D'Onofrio as Wilson Fisk

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Dude, you should probably specify what episode you're going to be referring to before you spoil something.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think the assumption is that everyone cool will just binge watch the entire thing in a day or two without checking this thread.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I'm not too far in but holy poo poo (episode 4) I never thought I'd cry watching any series/show featuring the loving Punisher but man that final monologue got to me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Holy poo poo

Woden posted:

WTF was with the hand? they were like some lovely version of the Ninja Turtles Foot Clan and every time they were on screen I just stopped paying attention.

Obviously he can be forgiven for not knowing the connection since it's a fairly deep cut, most people probably don't know TMNT started as a comic period, much less a DD-parodying one. Still funny when people are like "ugh what is up with all these magic ninjas in Daredevil".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Most people who are very aware of TMNT grew up some years after the Frank Miller Daredevil run was a thing, so it makes sense. It's like how no one who saw the original Star Wars in theaters as a kid had any inkling of what George Lucas was ripping off.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like how Elektra's outfit is basically Silks without the web pattern. And is it wrong for me to just assume everyone in this show that's Japanese is a Ninja and specifically the Hand?

A weird thing i'm seeing is a lot of Foggy hate, especially when he's trying to be cool. They seem to take any of his street lingo talk as a serious attempt at making him cool by the writers, and not showing this is a dorky white guy trying desperately to be not though of as a dorky white guy.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I finished season 2. It was pretty neat! I loved all the Punisher stuff and Elektra herself was great even if her story arc was kind of underwhelming. And while I crave the action scenes that they result in, I continue to think that all the narrative with the ninjas is both tonally inconsistent, really stupid, but somehow delightfully audacious. And funnily enough, it did give me flashbacks to the first TMNT movie as a result.

It weirds me out how much I like Karen in this show. In the comics I always saw her as an albatross around DD's neck because of the stuff that Miller wrote her doing, but in this show she's like Lois Lane except better. I'm worried about what's going to happen when Bullseye inevitably shows up :ohdear:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Episode 7: "Frank definitely doesn't have PTSD, now let me tell you how a single traumatic event that he can't stop reliving has defined his life for the past year+" :ironicat:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Episode 7: "Frank definitely doesn't have PTSD, now let me tell you how a single traumatic event that he can't stop reliving has defined his life for the past year+" :ironicat:

Frank calls that out himself, doesn't he?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Frank calls that out himself, doesn't he?

No, he says that saying he has PTSD is an insult to veterans, like it's something that can't happen to civilians.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's a hell of a reach.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It really isn't.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I've known a lot of civilians with PTSD and almost all of them have espoused the exact same feeling about having it be called PTSD. It's a really common way of thinking.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah, that part didn't bother me, I just thought that Karen insisting it wasn't PTSD to Foggy and then explaining Frank's mindset in a way that can only be interpreted as severe PTSD was hilarious.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I don't think they could do a compelling 13 episode series of the Punisher.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!
I thought Frank said it was insulting to ask the other vets to testify on his behalf because his trauma happened at home instead of on the battlefield. It wasn't so much that saying he has PTSD is an insult to them in and of itself, just that they had it worse. So yeah, he was diminishing his own experience as invalid when compared to theirs but he still acknowledged that what happened broke his brain (both figuratively and literally). Or did I hear that part wrong?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah he was just like I know what PTSD is, I know that it makes people suffer, I'm not suffering, I know I don't have it, I don't want to insult people who have it by using it falsely to beat a murder charge." I have no idea where you get "only veterans can get real PTSD" from.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

zoux posted:

Yeah he was just like I know what PTSD is, I know that it makes people suffer, I'm not suffering, I know I don't have it, I don't want to insult people who have it by using it falsely to beat a murder charge." I have no idea where you get "only veterans can get real PTSD" from.

Like I said, maybe I mixed it up with something. And it wasn't "only real veterans can get real PTSD", it was "don't diminish their experience by connecting them to mine"

the future is WOW fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Mar 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hollismason posted:

I don't think they could do a compelling 13 episode series of the Punisher.

Sure they could, if they give him a supporting cast.