Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Episode 10. The guy who plays Kingpins attorney is utterly perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Kegslayer posted:

Finale/Season spoilers
There was no conspiracy to kill Frank's family.

The Blacksmith's original plan was to get the three gangs there to do a massive drug deal. He never ended up showing because he suspected or was tipped off that the DA knew about it which is why you had the three gangs just hanging around before getting into a fight.

Frank's family was just caught in the crossfire, something that wouldn't have happened had Frank taken up the Blacksmith's deal originally since he would have been rich enough to take his family wherever he wanted to. That's what that conversation was about.

There was no need to take out Frank at all. All the conspiracy stuff was on the DA's end to hide the massive gently caress up that just happened.

Blacksmith also keeps trying to get Frank to tell Karen what he did. Frank doesn't. Frank also returns home and punches out a disc labeled "Micro" which was behind a picture of the platoon, and it was probably there for a reason. Blacksmith definitely wanted Frank dead for some reason. Also, remember "one shot, one kill"? Like how Frank was shot?

The conversation about money and a vacation was Blacksmith needling him. The carousel was one of Frank's favorite places to go with his family. Blacksmith set up that meeting in that location for a reason. And we never learn why the deal went bad, just that it did. So it's safe to say Blacksmith set up the meeting, instigated the shootout, and used that as a cover to attempt to kill Frank and his family.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Season 2 Spoiler Anyone notice that the whole series is about killing vs. not killing and Matt just straight up kills Nobu at the end?

No? Nobu got back up and Stick stabbed and sliced his throat.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The finale didn't feel as stressful as the gang war in Season 1. It wasn't until Dozens and dozens of ninjas showed up that things got complicated.

I hope next season brings Marci in as a series regular. Her and Foggy have amazing chemistry.

I think it's unclear if The killing of Frank's Family was opportunistic or plotted. It SOUNDED like Blacksmith trusted Frank as a soldier. But it's repeatedly said that Blacksmith never showed up to the meeting, so it's not likely he shot Frank personally. More likely a thug from the gang did it.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Mar 20, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

RareAcumen posted:

And of course when everybody's got access to A lazarus device, killing people doesn't quite have the same punch anymore.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Weird how (4 and 5 spoilers) Reyes can keep clients totally away from Murdock and Nelson. I get that she could stonewall them away from normal clients, but why are the downtrodden suddenly not going to them for help?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Also, a qualm about the last few scenes:
Karen's editorial is really bad. I didn't expect her to write MURDERER 2 MURDERER: MY LIFE WITH THE PUNISHER, but as an example of "good writing" it wasn't a good way to anchor the season.

Also, Detective Brett said "GIVE ME SOME LIGHTS UP THERE!" but apparently not enough to notice the whole army of ninjas?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Finale: Before the rooftop fight, did anyone else totally think that Frank was gonna minigun a crapload of ninjas instead of just snipe a few?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lycus posted:

Finale: Before the rooftop fight, did anyone else totally think that Frank was gonna minigun a crapload of ninjas instead of just snipe a few?

Me I thought this. The camera lingering on the mini-gun totally made me think Frank was gonna go all Terminator 2 on that group of ninjas just before Matt and Elektra took on them on the rooftop.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lycus posted:

I was expecting something automatic like an assault rifle actually.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

My Q-Face posted:

Or, there were two separate conspiracies surrounding a single event that just happened to overlap. Like The Hand and Wilson Fisk. A carousel in central park seems like a strange place to have a massive meet-up for a drug-deal.

On the meeting at the carousel thing not sure if it needs to be spoilered, but better safe than sorry.
It's not that bad idea to have a meeting in a public place to discuss making a massive drug deal. On Breaking Bad they even have several scenes explaining why having such a meeting with people you don't know or trust in a public place is a much better idea than doing it in a secluded place. Since public places tend to be noisier, it makes them a lot harder to eavesdrop on using a wire, and even if you're making a deal with someone you don't trust, they're a lot less likely to start shooting in a public area with a lot of witnesses. In this case, it didn't work out for the Castles, but the idea is sound.

Obviously, if you're exchanging a ton of heroin for a briefcase full of money you do that down by the docks or somewhere else out of the way. But for haggling over product, you might as well do that at the local Waffle Hut or mall food court, instead of someplace remote like the middle of a junkyard.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Mar 20, 2016

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

Matt throws him off a building that looks to be at least 10 stories tall. I doubt he was thinking about how Nobu could recover from life threatening injuries when he launched him into the air.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Frank is perfect.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

thrakkorzog posted:

On the meeting at the carousel thing not sure if it needs to be spoilered, but better safe than sorry.
It's not that bad idea to have a meeting in a public place to discuss making a massive drug deal. On Breaking Bad they even have several scenes explaining why having such a meeting with people you don't know or trust in a public place is a much better idea than doing it in a secluded place. Since public places tend to be noisier, it makes them a lot harder to eavesdrop on using a wire, and even if you're making a deal with someone you don't trust, they're a lot less likely to start shooting in a public area with a lot of witnesses. On this case, it didn't work out for the Castles, but the idea is sound.

Obviously, if you're exchanging a ton of heroin for a briefcase full of money you do that down by the docks or somewhere else out of the way. But for haggling over product, you might as well do that at the local Waffle Hut or mall food court, instead of someplace remote like the middle of a junkyard.

Sure, but we're not talking about two or three guys showing up to a place, we're talking about armies.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Episode 11: The diner conversation between Karen and Frank is just lovely - maybe my favorite scene in this show so far

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Goddamn the first 4 episodes so far have been awesome. When this show came out last year I had no idea that this was a show I wanted to be made.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Finished season thoughts: the first 6 episodes really made a strong impression on me, but the following 7 episodes were a mix of highs and lows and the finale was alright. Still, it was a really loving good follow up. This show is for sure my favorite thing to come out of Marvel Studios, easily. JJ and these 2 seasons of DD are more my poo poo than their cinematic universe ventures. I've no interest in Luke Cage though... more so looking forward to Iron Fist and seeing more of Jon Bernthal's Punisher because holy poo poo he's perfect :allears:

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
After two seasons of Daredevil and one of Jessica Jones, I look forward to ten incredible and three middling episodes of Luke Cage and Iron Fist. It seems to be becoming a pattern.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

teagone posted:

Finished season thoughts: the first 6 episodes really made a strong impression on me, but the following 7 episodes were a mix of highs and lows and the finale was alright. Still, it was a really loving good follow up.

Yeah, I agree entirely with this.

I just finished, and I am still so loving confused by all the japanese poo poo what is the significance of the black sky, what was the purpose of that huge fuckin hole in the ground, why didn't frank mow down the ninjas with the gatling gun - this was the most disappointing part of the finale/season. what was the purpose of draining the kiddos blood and turning them into zombie-lites? i thought it was to fill that big stone urn casket, but that was clearly not the case at the end

Maybe I just zoned out in the last 7 ep's and missed that stuff, but gently caress it feels like there were so many loose ends they didn't bother to tie up.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

My Q-Face posted:

Sure, but we're not talking about two or three guys showing up to a place, we're talking about armies.

It's not that far fetched. Let's assume that each of the mobsters went in to negotiate with two bodyguards and a driver, that's twelve armed guys. So they're all a bit paranoid about making a big drug deal, so they each send in three guys in 'plainclothes' so to speak to check out the park beforehand and hang around to make sure there are no surprises, so that's 21 armed guys all looking for trouble.

Add in the cops, and the guy they're supposed to be meeting with being a no-show, so then everybody got nervous. So all it would take is somebody noticing an earpiece, or that the guy feeding ducks has a Glock under his jacket, for someone to put 2+2 together and get 5, and think it was a trap by a rival gang and shoot them first, and from there it turns into a total clusterfuck.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

teagone posted:

I've no interest in Luke Cage though... more so looking forward to Iron Fist and seeing more of Jon Bernthal's Punisher because holy poo poo he's perfect :allears:

Why are you so afraid of a big, strong, black MCU series about a superfly dude? :v:

Also, the second season of Luke Cage AND Iron Fist has to be named "Luke Cage and Iron Fist". :colbert:

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

Weird how (4 and 5 spoilers) Reyes can keep clients totally away from Murdock and Nelson. I get that she could stonewall them away from normal clients, but why are the downtrodden suddenly not going to them for help?

If the DA shitlists Nelson and Murdock, then they lose the appeal of using them as lawyers for the indigent. The DA's office could basically refuse any plea deal offered by Nelson and Murdock, and force all of Nelson and Murdock client's to go to court. So something like a bar fight that might be a $500 fine plus time served could very quickly turn into a very expensive legal battle involving jail time. The DA's office can afford to screw people over that way, most people can't afford to fight that. And yes, our legal system is hosed up.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

bring back old gbs posted:

These netflix rules are kinda silly it's annoying having to mouse over every single post in the thread so a precious few can read like a single uncensored post per page.

Just binge the entire show in a single night like a normal person.

Just press CTRL+A and you'll see them all.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Episode 4 is the last great episode of the season and the Hand stuff kind of bites

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Season 2 Spoiler Anyone notice that the whole series is about killing vs. not killing and Matt just straight up kills Nobu at the end?

Yeah lol by the end of the season Matt seems to barely pretend to care about leaving dozens of dead ninjas lying around. Guess he just doesn't like ninjas

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

net cafe scandal posted:

Yeah lol by the end of the season Matt seems to barely pretend to care about leaving dozens of dead ninjas lying around. Guess he just doesn't like ninjas

Seriously, did I miss the dialogue where Matt decided he's okay with Elektra killing people? Because he didn't seem to bat an eye during the fight.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

It's insane how literally comic book people take everything. DD killed Nobu, Stick killed him again

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

My Q-Face posted:

Is the weekend over and we can stop using spoilers?

When this thread is unstuck then it's free reign.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Ending. The military conspiracy or whatever that was supposed to be was such a needless overcomplication. Did anyone watching this show get more catharsis from watching Frank execute the treacherous military goofball then when he killed that Irish mob guy? Strange character to pin Frank's self actualization or whatever to

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Ending. Really good performances from most of the cast including Fisk and his lawyer, Donofrio was incredible during Matts prison visit. Bernthal is perfect, Foggy and Karen better than last season. I think the direction and choreography was definitely weaker overall and that was really noticeable during the rooftop finale which was dark and bland and not particularly satisfying to watch compared to last seasons Fisk chase/beatdown

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Seriously knock off the double posts. Use the edit button. Don't do it again.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

What makes the edit button preferable to the double posts.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

When you guys check for new posts do you reread the page to see if anyone's edited their posts? Will the thread overflow if I post too much?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Everyone thought there was a whole army of new posters...but it turned out to just be one man.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

net cafe scandal posted:

What makes the edit button preferable to the double posts.

The fact that nobody else has posted since you, so when we click last read we will still see your edited post. How hard is this? I'm not :f5: this thread every few seconds, your post is not going to get lost.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I hope next season has Matt end up in prison. That means we get to see more Frank!

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
So late episode question/theory.

The redhead working for the hand is Typhoid Mary? IMDB has the name as "Tyler" which doesn't match anyone I know of being in the Hand.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Lycus posted:

I was so very disappointed that didn't happen.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Mameluke posted:

After two seasons of Daredevil and one of Jessica Jones, I look forward to ten incredible and three middling episodes of Luke Cage and Iron Fist. It seems to be becoming a pattern.

While it definitely has problems, Daredevil S2 managed to fix the pacing problems of DD S1 and JJ where the characters had beaten the bad guy, but they have two more episodes to fill. Now I get why a lot of shows have A and B plots.

I mean by the end of Daredevil S1 and Jessica Jones, the story has been told, and it's been told well. And then there were bullshit complications to make it stretch into more episodes.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Mar 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
EXCELLENT season. Matt never killed anybody in the most literal sense because the undead/re-living ninjas could just resurrect like Nobu does after he's hucked from the building top.