Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Noble savages are racist and boring, a real winner.

How is it racist? Orcs aren't real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CJ posted:

How is it racist? Orcs aren't real.

Oh god no. Don't start this.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Steve2911 posted:

Oh god no. Don't start this.
He's right dude, orcs don't exist.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Eh, the thing about the Orcs in WoW is that they've been outed as less "Noble Savages who were cruelly corrupted to kill The Other" and more "Naturally violent assholes because they evolved on a world full of deadly poo poo and thus doesn't take much to convince them that The Other are gonna be #7,493,432,401 Thing That Is Gearing Up To Kill You".

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

MisterBibs posted:

Eh, the thing about the Orcs in WoW is that they've been outed as less "Noble Savages who were cruelly corrupted to kill The Other" and more "Naturally violent assholes because they evolved on a world full of deadly poo poo and thus doesn't take much to convince them that The Other are gonna be #7,493,432,401 Thing That Is Gearing Up To Kill You".

so then why are the orcs brown now when everything from wc1 to wc3 showed them as green

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
like is it worse that the huge muscular savages with underbites are now brown-skinned? it seems that way to me

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The orcs in Warcraft could be a stereotype of any sort of pre-civilization human tribe anywhere in the world that use to exist. Orcs are actually more in line with pre-civilization European tribes. A lot of their lore has obvious ancient Germanic religion inspiration.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

If you wanna get into something really racist, let's talk about trolls...

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Corrode posted:

If you wanna get into something really racist, let's talk about trolls...

Uh, trolls are fictional and therefore can't be racist.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

MisterBibs posted:

These were mandatory if you were going to have a "new bad guy comes in, both sides need to work together" storyline that 3 had. More on a pretentious note, there was a shift from "These guys are the Incorruptible Good Guys, these guys are the Devilish Bad Guys" theme in gaming and (arguably) in most media at that time.

this reminds me that i thought the teaser for wc3 was about aliens invading (what turned out to be infernals were falling from the sky and were like living asteroids) and it woulda been cool to have an outside context problem and that's why the big bad orcs and noble humans teame dup.

sorry turns out it's just demons lmao

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

this reminds me that i thought the teaser for wc3 was about aliens invading (what turned out to be infernals were falling from the sky and were like living asteroids) and it woulda been cool to have an outside context problem and that's why the big bad orcs and noble humans teame dup.

sorry turns out it's just demons lmao
In Warcraft, demons are aliens.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Actually, the Draenei are the aliens in WoW lore.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

A Buttery Pastry posted:

you know what the gently caress i mean when i mean aliens. not dudes that look like hell demons (also daemons have been in the games since 1).

I said come in! posted:

oh dear lord don't remind me of that bullshit.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Some of the demons are just Draenei who follow a different ideology, and all the demons are aliens from different worlds.

Groovelord Neato posted:

you know what the gently caress i mean when i mean aliens. not dudes that look like hell demons (also daemons have been in the games since 1).
So you wanted Greys or what?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

no like i said i thought the infernals were aliens. the draenei bullshit is so dumb why didn't they make the cool monster ones playable instead of retconning them into looking like Eredar for some reason???

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

...The Legion are still aliens.

Orcs are also aliens. Do you literally mean you wanted a race of Infernals? Because that's not really much different to what we got.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

holy poo poo

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

Steve2911 posted:

...The Legion are still aliens.

Orcs are also aliens. Do you literally mean you wanted a race of Infernals? Because that's not really much different to what we got.

I haven't played WC3 in forever but I'm pretty sure the point he's trying to make is that the Orcs/Infernals/Legion/Draenei may technically qualify as aliens but the way they look and act they feel as if they may as well be a species native to the planet anyway.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

MisterBibs posted:

See, that seems like a better way to do things. It's nice when people doing fantasy or sci-fi stuff try to make nonhuman sentient species at least slightly non-human.

Still would be better if they were just straight up 40K Orks though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Thompsons posted:

I haven't played WC3 in forever but I'm pretty sure the point he's trying to make is that the Orcs/Infernals/Legion/Draenei may technically qualify as aliens but the way they look and act they feel as if they may as well be a species native to the planet anyway.

No, it's because "alien" is coded as "high tech society" in pop culture. Maybe the orcs aren't as distinct but everyone else is either Medieval/Steampunk Europe or Shamanistic Natives. That's a pretty big difference between how the Burning Legion is depicted.

(Though the funny part is that the Draenei as of WoW *are* a high tech society, since they have generation ships and all that jazz)

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!

computer parts posted:

(Though the funny part is that the Draenei as of WoW *are* a high tech society, since they have generation ships and all that jazz)

There's some actual effort to portray the Draeni as actual, straight up magic aliens. Who used to live on the same planet that the Orcs are from, which is named after them, but which they actually fled to from another world. I've lost track of what their relationship to the Orcs before the Legion corrupted them currently was like.

(Talking about Warcraft lore: a creative exercise in tense choice).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

computer parts posted:

No, it's because "alien" is coded as "high tech society" in pop culture. Maybe the orcs aren't as distinct but everyone else is either Medieval/Steampunk Europe or Shamanistic Natives. That's a pretty big difference between how the Burning Legion is depicted.

you can have low tech aliens like zergs or tyranids. the burning legion are just demons from hell so it doesn't really qualify as alien to me (as they're part of the same world already just another dimension like the orcs). in my mind i didn't think the aliens would necessarily be some high tech society (since their shock troops fell from the sky as living asteroids) i just thought it would be something outside of the current universe - the burning legion were there from the beginning once they filled in the backstory. in stories with demons i don't consider them aliens since they always exist in that world just in some adjacent plane.

the draenei retcon was terrible as are all blizzard retcons.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Groovelord Neato posted:

you can have low tech aliens like zergs or tyranids. the burning legion are just demons from hell so it doesn't really qualify as alien to me (as they're part of the same world already just another dimension like the orcs). in my mind i didn't think the aliens would necessarily be some high tech society (since their shock troops fell from the sky as living asteroids) i just thought it would be something outside of the current universe - the burning legion were there from the beginning once they filled in the backstory. in stories with demons i don't consider them aliens since they always exist in that world just in some adjacent plane.

the draenei retcon was terrible as are all blizzard retcons.

That's quite the technicality to be upset about.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that's not a technicality. it's like saying the thing and the exorcist are about the same type of entity.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!

Groovelord Neato posted:

that's not a technicality. it's like saying the thing and the exorcist are about the same type of entity.

They are, but primarily in really broad ways which boil down to both being about something from beyond this world.

But both of those are discreet creative works which committed to a thematic paradigm. Metzen basically mashes thematic elements together like a toddler painting.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

What does "same world just another dimension" mean? The orcs had already been established as coming from another world than humans by the time Warcraft 3 came out.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Greys are basically the same as fairies/elves.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Greys are basically the same as fairies/elves.
And demons.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

What does "same world just another dimension" mean? The orcs had already been established as coming from another world than humans by the time Warcraft 3 came out.

It was established in Warcraft I.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

A Buttery Pastry posted:

do you think the concept of heaven and hell are akin to other planets.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
If they do a Tides of Darkness movie I hope they get everyone from Black Sails to play all the humans on the ships.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

do you think the concept of heaven and hell are akin to other planets.
You lost me. What does this have to do with Draenor being established as a separate world/planet from that which humans come from?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Technically the orcs entering Azeroth makes them aliens. Not commenting on the other races in Warcraft lore, don't feel like going there right now.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

He wants them to be monsters from outer space instead of monsters from hell. Weird but we don't really need to argue about whether or not he thinks that's cool.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Tender Bender posted:

He wants them to be monsters from outer space instead of monsters from hell. Weird but we don't really need to argue about whether or not he thinks that's cool.
Thing is, they're both.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

I apologize in advance if i've lost the conversation here, i'm just sticking to what I know from the games that is being copied over to the movie or seems to be anyways. The orcs live on a world that was pretty nice but it was destroyed by some meanies. There's actually two version though, that's like the WoW version I think? In Warcraft I the humans go through this portal to the orcs world, they don't understand the orcs and decide to wipe out a small village of them, causing the orcs to come through to Azeroth for revenge.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

in the original (better) story the orcs came from outland which was a sorta hosed up dimension. draenor wasn't a thing.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Looks good to me :shrug: I'm rooting for the green Klingons

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I said come in! posted:

I apologize in advance if i've lost the conversation here, i'm just sticking to what I know from the games that is being copied over to the movie or seems to be anyways. The orcs live on a world that was pretty nice but it was destroyed by some meanies. There's actually two version though, that's like the WoW version I think? In Warcraft I the humans go through this portal to the orcs world, they don't understand the orcs and decide to wipe out a small village of them, causing the orcs to come through to Azeroth for revenge.

Huh I didn't realize they were retconning as early as Warcraft II. In that one the orcs came from a dead red world and massacred the other people, the draenei, and Gul'dan worked to open the portal to Azeroth to give them something else to conquer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

What does Blizzard hope to accomplish with a bad CGI movie seven years too late?

• Locked thread