Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Speaking of Dilbert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8VPYLmPCpw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine Meets Special Guest Contributor Joseph Heller

The Phantom

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Why the long face, Mark?

root
Jun 17, 2000

Booska mask replica...

Julet Esqu posted:

Nope! You have the correct interpretation! Even when Gunther had a hot Latin girlfriend who was totally into him he would break into panic sweats at the thought of actually... omg... kissing her!!! On the lips!!!!:froggonk:
Oh yeah... I'd forgotten how he'd won Rosa's heart by accidentally hitting some guy with his backpack.
And of course once he was united with the woman he'd been pining over their love exploded like a...

Is there a term for when an author wants us to feel a certain way about a character but due to their tone-deafness and lovely writing skills the opposite effect is acheived? Because I know the Evanses are going for some kind of, "Awwww he's such a nice guy" vibe but Gunther consistently comes across as a pissy, whiny dweeb and I hate him.

SomeMathGuy posted:

Gunther freaks out when women make romantic advances towards him, he freaks out when his mother engages in a relationship with other men, and he generally only shows interest in women when other relationships prohibit them from being with him... man would a therapist have a field day.
The dude's got issues with a capital "I"...

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Gil 07/26/15

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

They are certainly putting a lot of effort into finding their missing meal-ticket, aren't they?

9 Chickweed Lane

I imagine that Amos whipping out his cello would look something like this.

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

root posted:

Oh yeah... I'd forgotten how he'd won Rosa's heart by accidentally hitting some guy with his backpack.
And of course once he was united with the woman he'd been pining over their love exploded like a...

Is there a term for when an author wants us to feel a certain way about a character but due to their tone-deafness and lovely writing skills the opposite effect is acheived? Because I know the Evanses are going for some kind of, "Awwww he's such a nice guy" vibe but Gunther consistently comes across as a pissy, whiny dweeb and I hate him.

Gunther exists in a sort of sine wave of character development. Everything about him shows him to be a whiny, uninteresting little poo poo with no backbone, and the comic puts this front and center until the Evanses realize they've done nothing but poo poo on him for a while so they throw him a bone, either out of pity or some failed attempt at developing his character beyond that (and yet always revert back).

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Instruments of Destruction Comix

Pooch Café

Isn't Dr. Octopus kind of a downgrade from Galactus, Devourer of Worlds?

Ballard Street

The chute only gets much use in March, but it's worth it.

Lost Side of Suburbia

I used to like math. I could do all sorts of complex stuff in my head, but the teachers kept marking my homework down for not showing my work, so I stopped doing any and coasted on Ds until grade 12.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

"Tiffany... You're being selfless! I'm reacting with surprise because you're a stuck-up bitch!! :haw:"

Her correct response would have been, "Never mind. gently caress you. Get out of my room."

Also I'm not sure the Evanses are aware that seducing people you're not actually interested in is a lovely thing to do.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

"Tiffany... You're being selfless! I'm reacting with surprise because you're a stuck-up bitch!! :haw:"

Her correct response would have been, "Never mind. gently caress you. Get out of my room."

Also I'm not sure the Evanses are aware that seducing people you're not actually interested in is a lovely thing to do.

How does this plotline keep getting dumber? loving HOW? Did the Evanses watch a lovely romcom, decide to steal some plot points, and then added the usual terrible writing zest they bring to the proceedings?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Only registered members can see post attachments!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County

Skippy (January 19, 1929)

Peanuts (March 22, 1969)

Mopey Pete's Silver Age Daydream-Slash-Sunday Panel Teaser

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (October 7, 1929)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 20, 2016

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes, September 10-12, 1992

Ripley's

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

He just strikes a pose and is suddenly in costume? Did Spidey just loving henshin?

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

dordreff posted:

He just strikes a pose and is suddenly in costume? Did Spidey just loving henshin?

Pretty sure Doctor Strange there is just as confused as you are.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

AAAA

https://www.moomin.com/en/blog/filmlance-international-to-develop-new-moomin-animation-series/

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Savidudeosoo posted:

Pretty sure Doctor Strange there is just as confused as you are.
He's seen other dimensions, battled elder gods, and spoken to Eternity itself, but the sight of whatever is going on with Spider-Man's pelvis right now is beyond his ability to comprehend.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Trilobite posted:

the sight of whatever is going on with Spider-Man's pelvis right now is beyond his ability to comprehend.

They drew a dog’s hindquarters on him. Just straight-up a dog’s rear end and legs.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set beautifies.

Working Daze is...uh...what?

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is a rollercoaster of emotions.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Wanamingo posted:

Arlo and Janis

What? It seems every so often I just don't have a clue what Arlo & Janis is trying to do.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hobnob posted:

What? It seems every so often I just don't have a clue what Arlo & Janis is trying to do.
A nature sound is making Arlo remember when he was a kid.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

I've just taken to assuming that every Arlo & Janis that isn't about sex is something that happens while they're really, really high. It's a surprisingly workable interpretation.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Zereth posted:

A nature sound is making Arlo remember when he was a kid.
Ah, thanks! I had no idea who the kid was meant to be. And yeah, looking back through this thread a surprising number of A&J strips are explicitly about sex, which is kinda odd for a newspaper strip.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

SomeMathGuy posted:

I've just taken to assuming that every Arlo & Janis that isn't about sex is something that happens while they're really, really high. It's a surprisingly workable interpretation.

I started with the assumption that this Arlo and Janis is also about sex and worked back from there.

Bullfrogs croak to attract a mate, as Arlo discovered by observing them as a young boy. In the final panel he is feeling randy and is croaking at Janis to indicate his arousal. Janis, not having hunted for frogs as a child, does not know what to make of her husband's strange noises.

It probably isn't the intended interpretation, but I'm going to go with it.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Julet Esqu posted:

I started with the assumption that this Arlo and Janis is also about sex and worked back from there.
(...)
It probably isn't the intended interpretation, but I'm going to go with it.
OK, now do this one:

(Another one I have no clue about).

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Janis is having a nightmare, but even the indelicate flop of Arlo's hand is enough to provide reassurance and ease her out of it.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Julet Esqu posted:

Bullfrogs croak to attract a mate, as Arlo discovered by observing them as a young boy. In the final panel he is feeling randy and is croaking at Janis to indicate his arousal. Janis, not having hunted for frogs as a child, does not know what to make of her husband's strange noises.

Minor point of order, they're listening to peepers, not bullfrogs. I love peepers and they're my favorite thing about warm spring nights :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8ee_d-4ZmU

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Julet Esqu posted:

Bullfrogs croak to attract a mate, as Arlo discovered by observing them as a young boy.
Not bullfrogs. Spring peepers.

Bah, beaten.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo (March 22, 1958)

Peanuts: Year Four (July 5-7, 1954)

Out Our Way (December 17-18, 1928)

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbusts of Everett True

Guess If They Are Married!

Good Time Guy (click for big)

Flapper Fanny Says

Feiffer (click for big)

Wee Pals

Life In Hell

Slammy fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 20, 2016

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Other people posted:

:frogout:

Well, I'm sure those other frogs are trying to get laid, too. <:saddowns:>

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

So glad the prison storyline is over. Now if Juliet Jones would just get her memory back, we might be in good shape.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

The early bird becomes the surly bird by late morning.

Mary Worth

Mary Worth, you don't have to teach that class tonight
Those days are over you don't have to grade those papers into the night

Rex Morgan MD

June really needs to get out. After all, she's been stuck at home alone with a newborn for like almost a quarter of a day.

Secret Agent X-9

Oh no! Not Idiot Boy!

Apartment 3-G

If LuAnn no longer believes you, you've gone way too far.

Edit:

Julet Esqu posted:

Radio Patrol

Pat is seriously the worst cop.

Also I'm calling the guy giving BBB a ride is the coach.

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 20, 2016

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Man, that's a low-hanging fruit.

gently caress you, Gilchrist!

Moomin

Classic Dilbert

Edit: I just noticed that Imgur is randomly resizing and artifacting the hell out of my uploads, is this happening to anyone else?

Edit 2: The Moomin on the previous page is now the correct size and quality.

Darkest Auer fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 20, 2016

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Slammy posted:

Bonus olde timey ad:

Huh, I guess the "Smoke Yourself Thin" bit in the Simpsons wasn't as much of a joke as I thought.

God I loving hate Gilchrist.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Julet Esqu posted:

Radio Patrol

I'd be okay with the rest of this strip being this half-dead dude slowly, ineffectually trying to get the drop on the police officers.

*lolls head to left, reaches trembling arm toward nearby jar labeled POLICE POISON* "Now cut that out!!"

*shakily fills out ACME order form, seals envelope, weakly attempts to lick stamp* "Say! That's about enough outta you!!"

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Everett True is my hero. :allears:

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

For some reason I find the idea of Mandrake just sitting poolside catching up with the news on his tablet funny just in itself.

But on top of that he's laughing to himself about how notably fat his friend is.

• Locked thread