Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

ImpAtom posted:

I have S-ranks on all my favorite champions now. :smith:

drat it Riot, don't force me out of support just to keep getting your funbux.

How are you getting S-ranks on support? I've gone 1/2/25 on matches where our team gets 30 kills and only gotten A+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Bliss Authority posted:

I just won three games because I'm Bronze and no one at Bronze knows how to deal with a splitpushing Nasus

I beat a Riven in lane, how the hell does a Nasus do that?

Riven was a legit counterpick to Nasus before being brutally nerfed; I don't really know now, though.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

Sexpansion posted:

Riven was a legit counterpick to Nasus before being brutally nerfed; I don't really know now, though.

honestly when I toplane my only autoban is Darius, gently caress Darius

anyone else pushes too hard, lets me freeze the lane and loses

when Darius does that he also kills me

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I've been practicing Draven and tonight I had my first DRAAAAAAAVEN moment, when I saw the enemy Azir had used his dash to get away from our Ekko and decided gently caress IT WE'RE GOING IN and dove Azir + Sona under tower and got a double kill. Because gently caress you. Because Draven.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH_tRCMQF_Q

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Jarvan is still really really bad

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Propaganda Hour posted:

How are you getting S-ranks on support? I've gone 1/2/25 on matches where our team gets 30 kills and only gotten A+.

I think damage dealt/warding may play a factor as well.

Since the chest system I've gotten mostly S's, but score doesn't seem to have a ton to do with it: a 0-1-17 game was an S-, a 6-0-11 game was an S- as well, and a 3-5-23 Morg game was an S+.

I do consistently score 1 or 2 on my team in damage though, ward a ton, and usually farm more than other supports. I suspect that the first one in particular is weighted pretty heavily, maybe along with healing done or something.

That said, in the jungle a 12-8-12 Fiddle game was an S+ and I've generally found it easier to get S ranks in the jungle if you just farm and have a decentish kda, so vOv. I'm definitely worse at jungling, and I can do it, so you can too! Try playing tanks that bring a lot of utility (i.e. Amumu, Gragas) and just play like a tanky, roaming support.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I got an S- on a loving terrible KDA top Lulu game just because of the amount of pink wards I placed, I am 99% sure. Didn't do much damage, had low-ish KP, had a sub 2 KDA.

If your grade sucks but your KDA is good you probably sucked at warding / ward clearing / securing neutral objectives.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Weighting objectives would explain a lot-- that fiddle game I got drag on spawn from when I solo'd it at lvl 4 and did a good bit of counterjungling which probably helped too.

I also think vision is often pretty weak in solo q, so that's a pretty easy metric to outperform in.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

foutre posted:

I also think vision is often pretty weak in solo q, so that's a pretty easy metric to outperform in.

I constantly out-ward everyone in my games. Even my supports. Even the ones that buy Sightstone.

How can people not understand the importance of warding?

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Hermetic posted:

I constantly out-ward everyone in my games. Even my supports. Even the ones that buy Sightstone.

How can people not understand the importance of warding?

No no no you see if I bought a pink I couldn't afford my BF sword and I promise Bloodthirster is great on Alistar I saw a streamer do it

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I ward the least when I get really far ahead on a tanky champ. I ward the most when I am split pushing. I tend to ward out of self interest specifically towards the goal of not getting loving killed, although I also like to get deep vision down in the enemy jungle when I get ahead on strong champs so I can catch and kill people. As the support I tend to ward around where I think my team should be, or in places that I hope my ADC will see someone coming to kill them when they're by themselves.

Had a couple interesting discussions regarding whether or not it was better to have blue or yellow trinket when behind as the ADC coming out of laning. I contend that when you have no jungle control or outer turret that you can't afford to have a blue trinket since it's so easy for the enemy team to clear.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Schiavona posted:

No no no you see if I bought a pink I couldn't afford my BF sword and I promise Bloodthirster is great on Alistar I saw a streamer do it

Sounds about right. Though, surprisingly it's Alistars and Threshes who actually buy wards from time to time (though I still out-ward them). AP supports though...Uuuugh. It's gotten to the point where, as a guy who leveled to 30 as an AP support main (and now plays ADC), I cringe when I get an AP support.

Because 90% of the time, it means no wards, and constantly fighting for farm against both a support who just HAS to get that Aether Wisp for their rushed luden's echo, and the enemy, who have, by 3 minutes, realized that there will be no poke from the enemy support, and are currently performing the high-five portion of the Eiffel Tower on me.

rabidsquid posted:

Had a couple interesting discussions regarding whether or not it was better to have blue or yellow trinket when behind as the ADC coming out of laning. I contend that when you have no jungle control or outer turret that you can't afford to have a blue trinket since it's so easy for the enemy team to clear.

I tend to keep my yellow until late-mid game, honestly. Not because I forget or anything, but because we need some loving wards out there, and blue wards are too easily cleared.

Hermetic fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Mar 20, 2016

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
That feel when you carry and then people ask for your twitch

part 2

fatal oopsie-daisy fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 20, 2016

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.
They want to wear your face

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I try and have a pink out at all times with one in the inventory. It's great for low elo games where people don't really buy wards. I've played games where people ask me why I'm buying wards on a top laner or ADC before like it was some bizarre thing to want vision

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

But if I lose top lane it's the support's fault for not warding enough. :colbert:

Heehee Hartlocks
Feb 9, 2012

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
see, it's this pink thing, it costs 25g more than a red potion

and it circumvents the idea fog of war for as long as it's there -- I REPEAT it fucks with the original nature of the gamestate that Riot wants in place, a gamestate that cannot be hosed with except for a select few champion skills, for a measly amount of gold. AND YOU CAN HAVE FIVE OF THEM ON THE MAP!!!!

loving maphacks, why would you buy it, do you want to get banned???

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I wasn't a believer in pink wards until this very thread screamed at me for a whole page. Now I buy them as every role! I'm still not very good about remembering to replace them when they did or keeping one up at all times, especially late them when i tend to be roaming all over the map. With that said though even buying just a few pinks helps immensely.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

pink wards have immeasurable value if you're ahead because they help you get the information you need to play so that you can not only keep but snowball your lead

they're still really good if you're behind too

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sexpansion posted:

She can bully him early on but she'll probably push the lane unless she manages the waves well. She has a definite advantage early but a competent Nasus will get stacked anyway. If she doesn't get sufficiently ahead then Nasus can just start farming her as well. If that match goes even then Nasus wins.

That one hinges heavily on jungle pressure keeping the dog down but even then; the instant she starts roaming he starts stacking. If she gets very ahead she can just continually ruin him but that's a pretty big if.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Winning or losing you should always have a pink ward on the map in an area you want to protect or advance upon. There's no reason not to buy one every back, and especially if you are Support or Jungler and don't buy one every back you are hurting your team.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

rabidsquid posted:

I ward the least when I get really far ahead on a tanky champ. I ward the most when I am split pushing. I tend to ward out of self interest specifically towards the goal of not getting loving killed, although I also like to get deep vision down in the enemy jungle when I get ahead on strong champs so I can catch and kill people. As the support I tend to ward around where I think my team should be, or in places that I hope my ADC will see someone coming to kill them when they're by themselves.

At the same time, blue trinket is the only safe way to see if the enemy team is doing an objective and/or whether you can leave your base at all. You need to practically facecheck a brush to ward in it and if you die doing so there's no way your team can hope to contest anything. In such circumstances, leave the real warding and facechecking to your teammates and focus on staying alive above all and a blue trinket is better for that.

E: in other words, the value of the blue trinket isn't in the ward it leaves behind. It never was. It's in the knowing on demand where the enemy team is or at least isn't at this time from relative safety. Since staying alive is paramount on ADCs, regardless of being ahead or behind, blue trinket is the right call nearly all the time.

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 20, 2016

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
is it bad to buy the ward jungle item on pretty much everyone?

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Kashuno posted:

Actually in my elo (currently low diamond) the warding jungle item is bought on literally everyone except Shyvana, Warwick and Yi, who get the red smite.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Kashuno posted:

I think it's the only worthwhile one (pros pretty much agree in 80-90% of matches) because vision is better than active alternatives and it doesn't compete with your smite cool down to complete other objectives.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I was playing jungle, placed four pink wards, cleared a bunch of vision, got every dragon on spawn after 9 minutes in, flame horrizened the other jungler, and went 4/0/12 and they surrendered at 20 and still got an A- I want my loving keys rito

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
I honestly still prefer blue smite on most of my tanky junglers but I have been a bit out of the loop and I still use the yellow trinket as a jungler. But the cooldown to compete with other objectives is definitely reasonable.

RealFoxy posted:

I was playing jungle, placed four pink wards, cleared a bunch of vision, got every dragon on spawn after 9 minutes in, flame horrizened the other jungler, and went 4/0/12 and they surrendered at 20 and still got an A- I want my loving keys rito

i have no idea what the gently caress the requisite is for a S score for junglers and I've done poo poo like go 11-0-17 and pink warded as well so :confused:

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Servaetes posted:

I honestly still prefer blue smite on most of my tanky junglers but I have been a bit out of the loop and I still use the yellow trinket as a jungler. But the cooldown to compete with other objectives is definitely reasonable.

i have no idea what the gently caress the requisite is for a S score for junglers and I've done poo poo like go 11-0-17 and pink warded as well so :confused:

I think kill participation and objective control is factored in. I got an S- for this Xin game and I'm still not really sure how: http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/#match-details/NA1/2128317095/38198234?tab=overview

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
The answer is that the scoring system is just totally broken

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Is it me or are there just a fuckton of smurfs on this patch? Nearly every game in low silver has at least one making anyone who is trying to rise miserable.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
God forbid you choose "fill" as an option. It's just another way to say support.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I have gotten ADC/ADC/Mid in my last three fill games.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

they could have fixed the role balance for fill on their end at some point but the damage has been done

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

"I'm a furry but I like support"
"Surprise me"
*locks Support Rengar*
*team flips out*
*lands every Bola, stealth initiates, 0/0/18 perfect game*

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Propaganda Hour posted:

Generally the answer is just don't die, harass a lot, ward plenty and get tons of assists. It also depends a lot on the champion. Janna is a stone-cold pain in the rear end to S-rank. I went 3/0/16 and got an A+ while with Nami I went 3/1/24 and easily S'd it.

I've found the major difference between my S and A ranks is that when I get an A rank I'm spending too much time not doing so much. Even if I get a good score I wasn't helping push enough or wasn't there for a dragon take or whatever.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I got an s+ my last twisted fate game where I went 18/12/11 and only had around 200 cs :shrug:

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i get S pretty much every game it feels like so i have to wonder what weird stuff you guys are doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I guess not everybody can be the god of playing league of legends by playing perfect every game

• Locked thread