Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

The 3DS is a great, great system if you like RPGs. Go for an XL imo, and try out the Etrian Odyssey games if you like dungeon crawlers. EO4 is a good starting place for people new to the series, it's somewhat less punishing than the others.

I started looking up a 3DS XL to buy and there are so many SKUs. Are all of these basically the same poo poo just with some stuff engraved on the case?

The White Dragon posted:

Have you played a SaGa game before? We had a short back-and-forth about it a couple pages back and basically if you know you like that series, get Last Remnant because you will fuckin' love it. If you don't know, then emulate RS3 or Minstrel Song before you consider TLR. It's packed full of opaque formulas and understanding them is pretty essential to being able to get to the end of the game (the last boss is easy, though--easier, even, than the random encounter monsters leading up to it in most cases).

I can't speak for Skyrim of Fallout 4 because while I find them to be objectively entertaining sandbox games, I myself don't really find them fun on a personal level and I get bored of them really quickly.

Maybe check out Way of the Samurai 4 (PC). It's a great "achievement-based advancement" game--you get stronger by doing specific tasks, completing combat challenges, or upgrading your weapons rather than by gaining arbitrary exp.

Do Alpha Protocol for sure if you haven't played it yet. It's a fast-paced talky game. A lot of people complained about the combat when it came out, but that's only because it looked like a third-person shooter and going in guns blazing really only works with one specific weapon type; it's actually more like Secret of Mana than anything else where you gotta wait for your attack's accuracy or special ability to charge before you shoot. If you don't, your attacks are weak and lovely and your shots go everywhere but in the enemy in front of you.

I absolutely loved SaGa Frontier 1 & 2 back in the psx days but I don't think I've ever played any of the other games. I actually played Alpha Protocol quite a lot on PS3 but I really should get it on PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

rabidsquid posted:

I absolutely loved SaGa Frontier 1 & 2 back in the psx days but I don't think I've ever played any of the other games. I actually played Alpha Protocol quite a lot on PS3 but I really should get it on PC.

Frontier 2 is in an entirely different league of insane difficulty. Pick up TLR, you'll feel like a kid again.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Alpha Protocol is insanely good.

rabidsquid posted:

I started looking up a 3DS XL to buy and there are so many SKUs. Are all of these basically the same poo poo just with some stuff engraved on the case?

There is only one difference that matters: there is "3DS" and there is "New 3DS." An XL somewhere in there just denotes the size of the unit, and anything else just refers to the decorations on it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

corn in the bible posted:

I like how the persona 4 people are like THE COPS WOULD NEVER BELIEVE US but like you could just show a cop the tv world and they'd probably buy it

Go get uncle cop and shove him into the television, he'll believe you

I love Persona 4, but this is true. Especially towards the end, where you're actually in police interrogation and there's a TV in the room. I don't see why you couldn't just shove your hand in TV and prove your point then and there.

Bongo Bill posted:

Alpha Protocol is insanely good.

It really is :allears:. The first stretch of Saudi Arabia is a real hump though if you're going into the game blind.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It really is :allears:. The first stretch of Saudi Arabia is a real hump though if you're going into the game blind.
It's double the hump if you pick recruit background.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

If they wanted it to be pronounced Juness then they should have spelled it Juness.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Rascyc posted:

The US doesn't have the game and have been leaping to conclusions this whole time based off a few posts made by some of the EU players who happen to have played/watched the JP versions.

You realize with how easy it is to crack the 3DS now alot of us can play EU and JP 3DS cia's, so it's not just going off of heresay.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wendell posted:

If they wanted it to be pronounced Juness then they should have spelled it Juness.

It's a Japanese syntax thing (Ju-Ne-Su), and not something that could really be cleaned up easily in the dub because of the jingle.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Amppelix posted:

I'm going to be making a stupid pedantic post and I apologize in advance.

Ok no, look. It is not loving cencorship, Here's what a dictionary has to say on the subject:

It is definitely censorship when you can't publish something in the newspaper because the government does not approve of it. It was maybe censorship when games on Nintendo consoles in the 90s got religious allusions removed from the western version. It is definitely not loving censorship when the developers themselves, of their own will, make changes to their game that they expect will improve the sales of the game in whatever market they're aiming for. It's not like Nintendo is mandating a policy where sexy poo poo can't appear on their systems, otherwise what the gently caress is the boob ninja game doing there? Yes it might be the localization team doing this, and they are probably not a part of the original team, but guess what? They don't localize games these days without input and acceptance from the devs.

This whole definition of censorship that the internet seems to have defined within the last three years really grinds my gears because it completely loses the original implication of the word and real, actual, horrible censorship is still happening all over the world!

Nah.

"make changes to their game that they expect will improve the sales of the game in whatever market they're aiming for" is why they were doing it in the 90's.

The NoA is changing things from the original game because they find it unacceptable for the audience they want to market it to, or to avoid negative press. It may not be important censorship because it's not trying to silence someone out of hate, but it's still censorship.

It's still censorship when they bleep the gently caress word on Family Guy because it makes the episode air-able on Fox Sundays at 8pm PST because they can get more ad revenue than if they aired in watershed hours uncensored. Don't try and take an apolitical concept like censoring things and claim it's only acceptable to use in the context social injustice just because you like a videogame company or don't care for what they're removing. Hollywood, the FFC and airlines have been doing it for years, videogames doing it isn't new. It's not important and it doesn't matter, but it's still censorship.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
It's not censorship, it's editing. If you don't understand the concept of a private company editing their own product to maximize profits then loving looooooool on you.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Levantine posted:

It's not censorship, it's editing. If you don't understand the concept of a private company editing their own product to maximize profits then loving looooooool on you.

Braverly Second isn't Nintendos own product either, it's Squares, so uh, loooooool on you.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SelenicMartian posted:

He'd never agree to wear those glasses.

Cue the fight scene from They Live

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

DrPaper posted:

Braverly Second isn't Nintendos own product either, it's Squares, so uh, loooooool on you.

If nintendo is making money on it in the west, guess what?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

no you see every movie cut differently from the director's original vision and every book that doesn't have literal versions of its jokes after being translated are acts of censorship because

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

DrPaper posted:

Nah.

"make changes to their game that they expect will improve the sales of the game in whatever market they're aiming for" is why they were doing it in the 90's.

The NoA is changing things from the original game because they find it unacceptable for the audience they want to market it to, or to avoid negative press. It may not be important censorship because it's not trying to silence someone out of hate, but it's still censorship.

It's still censorship when they bleep the gently caress word on Family Guy because it makes the episode air-able on Fox Sundays at 8pm PST because they can get more ad revenue than if they aired in watershed hours uncensored. Don't try and take an apolitical concept like censoring things and claim it's only acceptable to use in the context social injustice just because you like a videogame company or don't care for what they're removing. Hollywood, the FFC and airlines have been doing it for years, videogames doing it isn't new. It's not important and it doesn't matter, but it's still censorship.

99 times out of 100, the people doing the localization making significant changes have to run it by the original developer and/or publisher and get approval.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

DrPaper posted:

Nah.

I would type a response to this, except I already did in the very post you're quoting, so...

quote:

Yes it might be the localization team doing this, and they are probably not a part of the original team, but guess what? They don't localize games these days without input and acceptance from the devs.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Levantine posted:

If nintendo is making money on it in the west, guess what?

They're removing and changing stuff another creator and another company created.

Notable censorship in literature through publishers that still actively happen, particularly in the southern United States, I guess aren't guilty of censorship anymore, just editing. They may be ignoring the intent and voice of the original author, but they're long dead and the publishers are making money off of selling the books in their territory.

The removal of scientific references and revisions to history in school textbooks from Texas publishers I guess is also just editing, as they're making money off of the books they're creating.

The censorship of games doesn't even matter, it's not important. It's a consumer complaint that can be addressed by the company in whichever way they see fit, it's not a big loving deal. Yet people seem to be acting like it is by selectively and arbitrarily redefining words in an attempt to discredit it like it was.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Amppelix posted:

I would type a response to this, except I already did in the very post you're quoting, so...

Srice posted:

99 times out of 100, the people doing the localization making significant changes have to run it by the original developer and/or publisher and get approval.

Yes, mechanical changes, like the removal of different outcome for the side quests because it wasn't well received. They're still censoring minor content that doesn't require approval passes, like the Hawkeye class to better suit a new audience. Similarly, the character Arthur in Soul Calibur was made because depictions of samurai were illegal in the territory it was being sold in, and this entire character's creation and implementation was done without the original developers being informed.

Again, this isn't about changes being approved or made without consent, so pointing out some changes and censors are done with approval doesn't change what they are.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

piss

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

a medical mystery posted:

no you see every movie cut differently from the director's original vision and every book that doesn't have literal versions of its jokes after being translated are acts of censorship because

To call an uncensored version of a film uncensored would require the film to have been censored from the original shooting, yes.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Nothing good can come out of prolonging this conversation, so I'm posting about Parasite Eve 2 some more.

I discovered/remembered another reason I don't like survival horror: inventory management. Your measly 20 slots fill up with ammo and healing real fast, and there's no worse feeling in the world than having to decide between what items you want to pick up and what to discard, when every single item is extremely valuably already. And to make things worse, PE2 has a storage system but it only serves to make me more item paranoid: there is no interconnected magic storage, instead every item box you ever find has a separate inventory and you will need to backtrack to it to retrieve the stuff. So now I'm at the same time vary of carrying too much valuable stuff that I should save for later in the game and leaving my valuables in boxes that I can't access later easily. Ugh, what a hassle. Does anybody actually like this sort of management challenge?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

DrPaper posted:

They're still censoring minor content that doesn't require approval passes, like the Hawkeye class to better suit a new audience.

It's incredibly likely that they got approval for that change, too.

In those situations it's super common for a localization team to tell the original developers that an element might not play well in other countries, and get permission to change it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Amppelix posted:

Nothing good can come out of prolonging this conversation, so I'm posting about Parasite Eve 2 some more.

I discovered/remembered another reason I don't like survival horror: inventory management. Your measly 20 slots fill up with ammo and healing real fast, and there's no worse feeling in the world than having to decide between what items you want to pick up and what to discard, when every single item is extremely valuably already. And to make things worse, PE2 has a storage system but it only serves to make me more item paranoid: there is no interconnected magic storage, instead every item box you ever find has a separate inventory and you will need to backtrack to it to retrieve the stuff. So now I'm at the same time vary of carrying too much valuable stuff that I should save for later in the game and leaving my valuables in boxes that I can't access later easily. Ugh, what a hassle. Does anybody actually like this sort of management challenge?

Playing inventory Tetris in Resi 4 was kind of fun but otherwise no it's just another dumb form of artificial difficulty/way to pad out the length.
The first three Silent Hill games were cool because you had unlimited inventory, then they changed that to a limited one in 4 :psyduck:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Yeah RE4 is the only time I ever had fun with that sort of inventory management since it was balanced in such a way that I felt like I would have just enough supplies to make it through. Most of the time I see it in other games it's either never a real issue or the restrictions are too harsh.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dark Souls system is probably the best, you can pick up as much as you like but have weight restrictions on how much you actually have equipped. Nothing is more annoying in an RPG than picking up a couple of random items that send you over the weight limit.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
Ok, so I had a vacation completely fall apart and I have a week of paid time off staycation. I've decided that instead of doing anything productive, I'm going to poopsock an rpg through. Trouble is, I can't decide on one, and I've been so far out of the loop for so long I have no idea what the "must plays" are. I have a pc, a ps4, a 3ds, and a wii u. I have several unplayed rpg's on my steam account, including final fantasy VII, jade empire, and others. I also have access to the older final fantasies. How the hell am I supposed to decide on a game? Which games can I expect to be able to complete in just a week and still have family time?

Edit: I have a hankering for turn based battles if that helps narrow things down.

Luminous Cow fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 20, 2016

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Srice posted:

It's incredibly likely that they got approval for that change, too.

In those situations it's super common for a localization team to tell the original developers that an element might not play well in other countries, and get permission to change it.

As I said though, it's not an issue of creator consent. I don't care about BD2. I didn't like the first one, and from the 20 minutes I spent in 2 it didn't improve. I don't care that they changed the native american class into a cowboy class or removed titty costumes. I kind of cared about the side quest changes, but at the end of the day I was playing the JP version so it didn't effect me. I get that people are sick of hearing dumb nerds whine about titty bikinis being removed, but it's annoying to see "No one cares about your titty bikini, go away" change to "it's not censorship, go away". It's a powerful word tied to a powerful and useful concept - that can be used for both bad and good, important and not important - but exclusifying a word and stripping it down because you're sick of hearing it doesn't make it okay. The concept of self-censorship wasn't invented in 2014 by NoA or videogame poo poo, and like many words it has broad use and application.

I work closely with the use of language and localization and this talking point just keeps coming up. I'm sick of hearing people whine about localization and censorship in games too, but I'm also getting sick of this hot new meme of redefining common universal concepts because you're sick of hearing it in connotation to dumb video game poo poo.

Maybe the RPG thread wasn't the best place to go off on this subject, and I apologize for that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Glue all the games to a wall and throw darts at them.
Alternatively play Jade Empire because it's fairly cool and easily playable in a week or even two or three days if you're poopsocking it properly.

E:oh Steam, virtually glue them to a virtual wall and throw virtual darts at them I guess

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

I just got Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam. The skip button is a nice touch, but on a scale of Superstar Saga to Dream Team, (SSS being really good and DT being awful) what am I in for?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Amppelix posted:

Use your consumables. You don't need to hoard all the recovery 1s and status cures you find, especially if you aren't playing on nightmare. The game has a finite number of encounters and you can walk away from all but a couple of them, even boss fights.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

DrPaper posted:

As I said though, it's not an issue of creator consent. I don't care about BD2

Then shut the gently caress up please

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

DrPaper posted:

I don't care about BD2. I didn't like the first one, and from the 20 minutes I spent in 2 it didn't improve. [...] I kind of cared about the side quest changes, but at the end of the day I was playing the JP version so it didn't effect me.

Yeah all those sidequest changes you would have seen 20 minutes into a game that you don't like or care about.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

DrPaper posted:

You realize with how easy it is to crack the 3DS now alot of us can play EU and JP 3DS cia's, so it's not just going off of heresay.
I doubt that it's really that many. That is, people who brewed and played the game and then went on a censorship crusade. I mean have you read some of these rants on other forums? They are insane, and exhausting.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 20, 2016

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

quote:

If they lose out on a lot of sales, they'll know why, and maybe we can prevent this horses*** from happening again. This absolutely sickens me. I am absolutely heartbroken. I love Bravely Default to death, and I can't even begin to tell how hyped I was when I heard this game was being released. Now, all I had been excited for is now something I wouldn't even pirate. I am deeply saddened. Please, PLEASE boycott this game. if many people say "Hey, we aren't going to put up with this censorship bulls***! Don't do it anymore, or you'll flop on sales!" They'll think twice. Let your money do the talking. If they don't get it, they'll know they done f***ed it up. Please don't buy censored games that actually cut out content! Changing the clothing on characters is one thing, but removing plot endings and other content... unacceptable! I'm especially enraged because from what I hear, they removed in game story content, quite a bit of it, actually. Mostly side quests and endings. Like seriously, sorry for the tl;dr, but I can't stress it enough how the localization people blew it for me. I almost want to weep. Buy it if you want, but allowing these people to do this s*** will only make them do it more in the future, and the censorship will be even more severe. Give them an inch. I hope the game flops outside of Japan.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

yo

hank is a good p4 protag name

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

they're all right

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Luminous Cow posted:

Ok, so I had a vacation completely fall apart and I have a week of paid time off staycation. I've decided that instead of doing anything productive, I'm going to poopsock an rpg through. Trouble is, I can't decide on one, and I've been so far out of the loop for so long I have no idea what the "must plays" are. I have a pc, a ps4, a 3ds, and a wii u. I have several unplayed rpg's on my steam account, including final fantasy VII, jade empire, and others. I also have access to the older final fantasies. How the hell am I supposed to decide on a game? Which games can I expect to be able to complete in just a week and still have family time?

Edit: I have a hankering for turn based battles if that helps narrow things down.

If you have Trails in the Sky on steam play that. It has a really slow start but if you can make it past that it's a great game. About 40 hours long.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Jade Empire is a very short game, which was honestly its most disappointing feature to me. But other than that, I liked it a lot. Much moreso than my previous BW experience, DA Inquisition.

But FFVII is also really good and a much more substantial time waster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
So what are some RPGs out there that have writing that's as high quality as Obsidians best writing? (KOTOR 2, Mask of the Betrayer).

Finished KOTOR 2 and am now looking for a game with as high caliber in writing.

Edit: I mean non Obsidian games

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 20, 2016