Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MagicCube posted:

So for someone who's never been to an F1 race is going to FP worth it? Or better to skip it and just do Quali and the race? Montreal FP tickets are only $60 so maybe that's not a bad price.

When I went to Suzuka, you could sit wherever you wanted for FP, so if you ended up getting a lovely cheap seat for the race and qualifying, it's a good way to get up close for some decent photos.

My favourite part of the race was whiny bitch Max Verstappen carrying on the proud Red Bull junior driver tradition of crying about his teammate not letting him pass without a fight. Either that or when looking for a great rivalry to say that Verstappen/Sainz could eventually be compared to, David Croft came up with Hamilton/Rosberg.

NtotheTC posted:

The big story of this race is the USA coming into F1 and showing the euro-poors how easy it is to get competitive. How many seasons did we see those poo poo new teams bringing up the rear and desperate for points?

The American Revolution in F1 is just like the real American Revolution in that it would be a dismal failure without the French.

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Mar 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:
Posted without comment:

Saw a guy trackside today with a t shirt advertising this:

http://racingwithautism.com

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I honestly just expected a picture of Kimi Raikkonen's face.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

Posted without comment:

Saw a guy trackside today with a t shirt advertising this:

http://racingwithautism.com

good for them to support goon efforts in motorsports

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Alain Post posted:

I think one of those designates new mediums versus used mediums, but I can't remember which is which.

Ah yea that stands to reason, will keep an eye on it in future races to work out what's what

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:
Who got fastest lap? Need to work out how decent my goonleague predictions were

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.
Ricciardo, mainly because he was the only one pushing on super-softs when the fuel load came down towards the end of the race.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

enri posted:

Ah yea that stands to reason, will keep an eye on it in future races to work out what's what

The filled ones are new, the stroked ones are used. You could see this really well in the qualy results.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'm waiting for the filthy casual Brits who didn't watch it at 3:30 am to join in the conversation.

If you are a filthy causal Brit then yes it's worth watching the repeat.

aequalis
Aug 11, 2010

Fernando is smugger than you. Can you confirm you understand that message?
Not a filthy casual Brit, but a filthy bogan Aussie who watched the race live (on TV)

That was some race, my brothers and I were pretty stoked with the start, Ferrari's must be running with some sort of bullet time, hopefully it takes a few races for Merc to catch up with those starts.

Definitely a wasted opportunity with Ferrari's strat today, but story of their lives I suppose. If they were so unsure about the tyres wouldn't it have been better to run them on Raikkonnen first? Or at least loving COPY MERCEDES!!

Also, Alonso continues to be F1's darling. Anyone have a gif of the smile?

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass
As a french NASCAR enthusiast, I'm very happy for Romain's six place in the Haas car, he sure did luck out with the red flag happening before he had to pit, but his pace during the second half of the race was ok and the car showed stability while not being really ready, so they must have high hopes for the rest of the season.

A surprising start, a huge crash, a car on fire, teams trying things with the unexpected medium tires, a newcomer team getting points for their first race, cool race, thanks Australia.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Wild theory. The Mercedes poor start was nothing to do with the cars. Nico just bottled it as usual and Lewis' reactions have tanked owing to a winter of hard partying and no training. This theory also explains why he could not pass two quarrelling children using 2015 engines.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

My takeaways from the race:

1) the new qualifying system is garbage. It was meant to increase the excitement level around qualifying, and instead it does the exact opposite

2) The mid- and backfield teams are going to be a much more interesting watch this year than last. Third year of development on the Ferrari, Mercedes and Renault engines (even if the latter is still hot garbage), and second year on the Honda, along with new tire regulations making pit strategy play a bigger role in the races makes it fun to watch again (if only for the tier 2 [perenially in the points but almost never with a podium] and tier 3 [almost never in the points] teams [tier 1A is Mercedes, 1B is Ferrari, and tier 1C is Red Bull and Williams]).

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

it's pretty dumb that the crash counts toward alonso's power unit allocation

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Bit poo poo video but found it. Go to 4:55 to see Niki not give a poo poo about not being able to talk about confidential meetings and throw everyone else under the bus over new quali.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb41p7ojR64

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

be nice wicka posted:

it's pretty dumb that the crash counts toward alonso's power unit allocation

I'm just glad he's alright.

loving hilarious to me that the commentators jumped on the canopy topic right away.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Just caught up with the race on Wikipedia, the two Mercs and Vettel on the podium, exciting start to the season guys.

Seriously though I'm surprised the end of last season has carried through to the start of this, as in Rosberg winning, Vettel being poo poo and a liability, Kimi being Kimi, Hamilton having issues, Alonso dying again, Max being Max, and the rest of them I don't care about still being there.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

learnincurve posted:

I'm waiting for the filthy casual Brits who didn't watch it at 3:30 am to join in the conversation.

If you are a filthy causal Brit then yes it's worth watching the repeat.

Watched the recording while having our traditional F1 meal of big bacon butties. Presently enjoying Moto3, which will again provide more passing in 45 minutes than a full F1 race, and already has in just half a race. And there's still Moto2 and MotoGP to come.

But the F1 race was good compared to many of the races last year. Shame about Seb but good for Big John. I'm hoping the historical BS that Ted and others banged on about is only 50% relevant, will be good for Nico and Lewis to go at it while the other teams catch up.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Just watched the replay after not bothering to watch quali and managed to enjoy an F1 race for once.

Alain Post posted:

I like Carlos Junior. Verstappen is almost as characterless as Kvyat. Die stupid Red Bull drivers *fires grenade launcher*

You cant develop an interesting personality if your childhood only consists of being pushed by your poo poo dad to be a racedriver.

Alain Post posted:

Hell, I'm liking the attitude of Big Jo Palmer so far.

Big Jolly Jo Palmer ftw

Alain Post posted:

He's ungrateful and a bitch boy.

Agreed.

Alain Post posted:

Smh at dumb engineers messing up Seb's strategy.

Agreed.

Alain Post posted:

I'm loving Jo Palmer, boys.

Hes ftw.

Alain Post posted:

QQ baby bitch Max.

Agreed.

Alain Post posted:

*checks live timing* McLaren are poo poo

They are.

1500quidporsche posted:

Haas is great. I'm a Haasman

I'm glad they did well and Grossjean is ftw, just wonder if they can develop their car to the same level as the other teams as the season goes along.

Alain Post posted:

Max Vercrappen.

Hes acting like red bull seb when he was fighting for the race win but instead hes just qqing that he cant manage a clean pass on his loving teammate in 9th.

Alain Post posted:

Let's get a real driver like Big Jo Palmer in the Scud.

Hell, i'd love it.

El Hefe posted:

imagine if Pastor was driving that Ferrari instead of Vettel? instant 2016 WDC

I'm a big Super Seb fan but its hard to argue with this.

El Hefe posted:

Haas are oficially a better F1 team than McLaren lol

McLaren are poo poo.

You Am I posted:

*Webber walks up to Vettel, punches him in the face*

Webber is too big a bitch to do this, all that aussiegrit poo poo is a massive front #aussieshit

Also its nice to see that Ron rebuilt Alonso into some sort of indistructable robot, maybe he shouldve spent some of that development into making McLarens car less poo poo.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

ferrari's tire choice after the red flag is pretty much exactly why alonso won't regret leaving that garbage fire of an organization

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

be nice wicka posted:

ferrari's tire choice after the red flag is pretty much exactly why alonso won't regret leaving that garbage fire of an organization

Oh yeah I bet he's realy enjoying drivng for McLareahahahahahahahahahahah

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

track day bro! posted:

Oh yeah I bet he's realy enjoying drivng for McLareahahahahahahahahahahah

yeah he actually is

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is the Hass celebration station?

:911:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
what in the world happened

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

HJB posted:

Just caught up with the race on Wikipedia, the two Mercs and Vettel on the podium, exciting start to the season guys.

Seriously though I'm surprised the end of last season has carried through to the start of this, as in Rosberg winning, Vettel being poo poo and a liability, Kimi being Kimi, Hamilton having issues, Alonso dying again, Max being Max, and the rest of them I don't care about still being there.

You just did exactly what the sky presenters said people just looking at the results would do you muppet. Seriously, worse than those people who only watch gifs and claim to be an expert. The race was balls to the wall excitement from start to finish including some awesome stuff with fast cars being held up. God darn Haas being competitive and well in the points, and the biggest crash maybe ever.

edit: Also I suspect Kimi knew his car was on fire and passive aggressively drove into his pit box with flames coming out of the airbox out of spite.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 20, 2016

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Probably laugh

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

HJB posted:

Seriously though

Seriously though you can't be serious, making any sort of comments about the race based on reading about it. It was a lot better than any races I can remember from last year, even after the quali shitshow.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It's perfectly fair to rip into the sport when it's actually poo poo but not after one of the best races in recent memory, and we have hope that this season will be good, at least up until the next race.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
I suppose it's good that qualifying is back to normal already, but I do think that either changing it to one long session, or keeping Q1 and Q2 "new" and having Q3 "old", would work. Let chaos reign for a few weeks. It will either improve qualifying for the better, or we'll get a few more tasty weeks of watching ill-conceived plans fail spectacularly. Salty interviews with team principals are one of the main reasons I watch this sport.

While I have this nice little post going, would you like a bacon briefcase? I think that the constructors' will finish like this:

Mercedes
Ferrari
Red Bull
Toro Rosso
Williams
Fierce Indians
Renault
Hass
McLaren
Sauber
Manor/Marussia/MRT/Virginity

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

HJB posted:

Uhh it was one of the best races in a long time.

Edit: im a failure at phone posting

Shut up.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Manor gonna beat Sauber. and maybe Force India. Sauber can't pay their staff or afford development, there is an arrest warrent out for VJ and they have resorted to 3D printing parts, and Manor have Indonesian government money and free Mercedes 2016 customer engines.

Kataphract
Oct 15, 2015
After the boring and anti-climatic qualifying, the race itself was very entertaining, in part fueled by Vettel's great start and Hamilton's poor one. Lots of battles up and down the field, and the stealth pit stop of the Haas car getting them way up in the field and Grosjean solidly holding the position from there. It still looks like Mercedes is going to dominate in the same way Red Bull used to dominate, alas.

Even Bernie Ecclestone thought the qualifying was awful. But the purpose seems to be more to shake up the predictable starting spots than create exciting qualifying sessions. It achieved the latter, unfortunately - we'll have to see about the former.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I rather suspect a lot of the reason behind this in Bernie's head was to force the FOM to update their terrible timing programs and screens. Loved that new bottom bar that showed up when people were in the pits, so at least we have terrible quali to thank for that.

e: may not have been mentioned but it looks like the new program means lapped cars don't have to go all the way round the track and join the back of the pack before the safety car can come in.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
The only way we'll have good races this season is if they make the Mercs start in 10th and 11th every race and even then they'd still win every race.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

learnincurve posted:

Manor gonna beat Sauber. and maybe Force India. Sauber can't pay their staff or afford development, there is an arrest warrent out for VJ and they have resorted to 3D printing parts, and Manor have Indonesian government money and free Mercedes 2016 customer engines.

Sauber are poo poo, indeed. But I think Force India are too far ahead. Unless Manor have one of the more remarkable in-season development programmes in recent memory, I doubt they'll move that far up.

One of Manor's cars is also driven by the worst driver in F1 apart from Britney.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Motorcycles are on now btw. Time to see if Moto2 is as pejoratively gay and boring as it was last year.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

runoverbobby posted:

I suppose it's good that qualifying is back to normal already, but I do think that either changing it to one long session, or keeping Q1 and Q2 "new" and having Q3 "old", would work. Let chaos reign for a few weeks. It will either improve qualifying for the better, or we'll get a few more tasty weeks of watching ill-conceived plans fail spectacularly. Salty interviews with team principals are one of the main reasons I watch this sport.

While I have this nice little post going, would you like a bacon briefcase? I think that the constructors' will finish like this:

Mercedes
Ferrari
Red Bull
Toro Rosso
Williams
Fierce Indians
Renault
Hass
McLaren
Sauber
Manor/Marussia/MRT/Virginity

what the gently caress is this

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

be nice wicka posted:

yeah he actually is

He's enjoying the thought of his imminent retirement and life of luxury.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh ye of little faith I believe Ferrari were sandbagging in Quali and showed true Mercedes level race pace, and if Kimi's engine hadn't exploded and they hadn't hosed up tyre strategy or that last pit stop then they would have been 1 and 2. I BELIEVE.

Speaking of which, we missed Williams pitting Bottas after the Alonso crash as the safety car was coming out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

be nice wicka posted:

what the gently caress is this

List your grievances and I'll do my best to address each one.

• Locked thread