Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

LonsomeSon posted:

Okay, right up until like the last 20 seconds of that video, I thought that the sound on further thought I suppose must be a dog barking was actually being made by the sister, who was having some kind of breathing problem over in the corner.

In retrospect, way less alarming/hilarious than on first viewing.

i think her breathing problem is that she cant stop laughing at her sister

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

There's two intersections nearby that just cross over without any bridges, but they may be afraid that closing the road would just increase congestion elsewhere and one crash a month is a small price to pay.

Understandable given that it's the truckers and not the city that pays the small price.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

surebet posted:

re: bridge chat, this is pretty much the only thing left to do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoTMC-uxJoo

Stuart Sinclair is a fuckwit.

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...
Holy mother of all hell, I was wondering why the subforum title got changed and messed me up looking for it. And then I read the last couple pages of this thread and, yep, it's perfect and completely justified. loving incredible.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

surebet posted:

re: bridge chat, this is pretty much the only thing left to do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoTMC-uxJoo

Not available in my country

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It's a news article of a dumass who drove his truck where it wouldn't fit and was only stopped from getting it jammed in a tunnel by a water curtain.

EDIT: animated version:

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Coolest stop sign ever... they should use those more often.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

They're probably pretty expensive. Super cool indeed, though!

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
How do they look during the day?

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Add some soap and everyone's car is cleaner.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Karma Monkey posted:

True, it does look pretty cool. I just watched the extended compilation video of all the truck v 11foot8 bridge wrecks. In some of them, there's a pedestrian on the sidewalk as the truck hits the bridge. They don't appear to even miss a step or react to the crash. They must be so numb to it by now. I wonder if the city has a couple road crew guys dedicated to just cleaning up the debris from the truck wrecks or if they all take turns going out there when another hits.
I used to live on Long Island, and there are a pair of parkways that have low bridges and every single entrance has a "No Trucks" sign. But without fail, at least once a month, some truck driver would probably be following his GPS and get stuck under a bridge.

I'm pretty sure there was a company with a flatbed and a forklift that cleaned up every time it happened, I used to see them transferring the cargo before trying to deflate the tires and pull the truck out.

And those bridges are low on purpose.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

TVs Ian posted:

That seemed very... not well thought out.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Anosmoman posted:

Understandable given that it's the truckers and not the city that pays the small price.

If you're a trucker who hits a low bridge there is no one to blame but yourself. Professional truck drivers need to know the exact dimensions of their vehicle at all times, and if you wreck on a low bridge you should probably have been looking for a new job anyway.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Weatherman posted:

Stuart Sinclair is a fuckwit.

Indeed.

Not sure they should be consulting his members about transport infrastructure, if his members regularly try to demolish said infrastructure.

spog has a new favorite as of 16:19 on Mar 20, 2016

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Suddenly I'm picturing a ham radio whip antenna or something that's just tall enough to trip the height sensor and start the waterfall... and it's mounted on a speeding convertible...

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

TVs Ian posted:

Goddamn :stare:

slomomofo posted:

Add some soap and everyone's car is cleaner.

And people can get a free bath too! :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLOvNeGw5a8

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I'm just thinking about all those Penske and uhaul trucks getting hosed up all the time and how many arguments the people working at them must get in.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

oldpainless posted:

I'm just thinking about all those Penske and uhaul trucks getting hosed up all the time and how many arguments the people working at them must get in.

I don't think they care as long as the renter signs on the line.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Wouldn't be surprised if the rental contracts included some clause that basically goes "if your dumb rear end tries to drive the truck under an under-height bridge, you agree you are 100% liable for the damages."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

If you're a trucker who hits a low bridge there is no one to blame but yourself. Professional truck drivers need to know the exact dimensions of their vehicle at all times, and if you wreck on a low bridge you should probably have been looking for a new job anyway.

The 11'8 site theorizes that a lot of the people who hit it are rental drivers. Anyone can rent a truck of a surprising size without a CDL.

Regalingualius posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if the rental contracts included some clause that basically goes "if your dumb rear end tries to drive the truck under an under-height bridge, you agree you are 100% liable for the damages."

I've been in the passenger seat of a Penske truck twice for long hauls (once from Atlanta to Orlando and once from Orlando to Biloxi). Their rental agreement can include limited damage waivers, but even those don't cover any damage that's caused outside what's expected in the rental agreement. Ordinarily, the renter is responsible for any damage beyond the usual wear and tear. The trucks also have stickers on the inside and outside with the height of the truck, so you really have no excuse to try and drive under a low bridge. A smart renter will even be wary about drive-thrus.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

That's not a long haul!

I drove a moving truck from the coast of CA to Pennsylvania and back, and from CA to TX, then later from TX to PA again. One time towing a car trailer. They basically handed me the keys and said good luck.

Other drivers are the worst part, they'll just sit in your blind spot indefinitely. Well, that and gas stations.

It makes sense that you don't need a CDL because it's not commercial, but it's scary how much truck you can drive with no training.

The car trailer came with no instruction. The lady at the rental place did t even know how to attach it, so we kind of guessed in the rental parking lot.

After driving for about 2000 miles, arriving at my destination, I found part of the trailer just kind of hanging there. It was the handle that tilted the bed, which was apparently removable, barely hooked over some random wire. Must have been about 1.5 pounds of steel that could have fallen off on the highway anytime in he previous two days.

SLOSifl has a new favorite as of 17:14 on Mar 20, 2016

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

This is a terrible idea (without goggles)! I know a guy who got car wash soap in his eye and it basically melted his cornea.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

This is a terrible idea (without goggles)! I know a guy who got car wash soap in his eye and it basically melted his cornea.

Yea, I imagine there are some pretty nasty solvents in commercial car soap for dissolving tar and whatnot. I also imagine liquid car wax isn't something you want on your clothes and skin or in your mucous membranes and eyes, but eh, "anything for internet lullz" was their thinking, I guess.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Why don't they either lower the road or raise the bridge in that North Carolina situation?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Jastiger posted:

Why don't they either lower the road or raise the bridge in that North Carolina situation?

I know right? Like duh why hasn't anyone done this?

lfield
May 10, 2008
I think it's a rail bridge running over a gas main or something, so it's prohibitively expensive to alter it.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

oldpainless posted:

I know right? Like duh why hasn't anyone done this?

They should just put a sign up. Problem solved! :v:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Or build lower trucks!

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

oldpainless posted:

Or build lower trucks!

That just seems like a waste, why build them lower when you can just send regular trucks through that tunnel?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
They should build a bridge over that bridge. Problem solved

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Is there any way to make the road deeper? Like the road is this high, but do something so it's farther down?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

It is obvious that no one should be crossing under that bridge, they should close it off and forget about the other side.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
Honestly, a strip of spikes that deflate truck tires before you go under, and then a glue-patch after the bridge to seal them up again might be the easiest solution, and I'm not sure why it hasn't been done. loving red tape.

Someone else can figure out how to get the air back in them.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Takoluka posted:

That seemed very... not well thought out.

It was very well thought out.

schlittlaw.com posted:

But Moses did not build the parks and parkways for everyone. He wanted to keep out the poor and people of color. Moses only wanted people who could own a car to drive on his parkways and visit his parks. He banned trucks and buses from his parkways (yes, he thought of them as his roadways). However, it was not enough to ban buses on his parkways, to enforce his decree, he built bridges too low for buses to pass under.

Also, gently caress Robert Moses.

that article again posted:

Robert Caro documented that Moses lowered the temperature in an East Harlem pool to discourage African Americans from swimming there because he believed they did not like cold water.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Nitrox posted:

They should build a bridge over that bridge. Problem solved

If it's anything like this bridge, then hell yea!

Wanna drive this bridge so bad. :kimchi:

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!

Jastiger posted:

It's a heavily used rail line, so trains would have to be diverted far north while they work on it. Plus, they'd have to raise the track for miles in both directions because trains aren't good with speed bumps. They can't lower the road because it has a main sewer or water line (I forgot which) running underneath. Then, to top it all off, that road is actually a heavily used highway (NC 15/501) connecting two commercial districts.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Wanna see the accident statistic on that 45° bridge

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Nitrox posted:

Wanna see the accident statistic on that 45° bridge

"Ramp it!"

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Sell the bridge to Donald Trump. He'll make it a beautiful bridge, and he'll make the truckers pay for it. He can make the bridge great again.

Trucks that try to get through without obeying the signs will be deemed terrorists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Well if trump makes sure that the dangerous trucks are kept out and only the safe trucks are allowed through I agree with him.