Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
style / art gimmick combo you want to see next
This poll is closed.
Commodore 64 hi fi 16 colors Drawing goons drooling over anime (or muscle men) 35 20.71%
Everything in MSPaint Black and White and Undertale Characters 22 13.02%
CGA in CYMK tones and rising stars of gaming like Hololens and Star Citizen 36 21.30%
Only Purple and Waluigi and Kirby ship fiction 76 44.97%
Total: 169 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Ometeotl posted:

So utterly disappointing that it might as well just be nothing.

Well that's still better than just never acknowledging it I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Not acknowledging it would be a cool move. Scarier that way. Opens the door for aimless speculation, which, having played Dark Souls and watched YouTubes about the lore, I could get behind.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
it turned out to just have been some guy who was fat and in disguise for no real reason who then immediately died

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

corn in the bible posted:

it turned out to just have been some guy who was fat and in disguise for no real reason who then immediately died

This sounds like the kind of thing I'd do as a lighthearted prank so I'm okay with it.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

well that's one way to inflict despair on an audience

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
http://www.destructoid.com/sniper-elite-4-now-with-more-assassin-s-creed-349638.phtml#post

"Then we shot an explosive crate with a toolbox on top of it, and a wrench got stuck in a dude's skull."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxcBxyt1r-I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6LaD4135fw

http://www.destructoid.com/review-alekhine-s-gun-348198.phtml#post

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Mar 20, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The Division is kind of racist but not nearly as racist as the Steam player base. Other than the rioters all looking like how racist Americans think all black teenagers look like, the only thing that bugs me is that you can't make a tan-skinned character (maybe they were afraid it would lead to players doing racist poo poo or something? gently caress if I know) so I couldn't make a good representation of myself.

The Yiddish-speaking grandpa who gives you missions in one district made me laugh. There should be more Yiddish in video games.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

bloodychill posted:

The Yiddish-speaking grandpa who gives you missions in one district made me laugh. There should be more Yiddish in video games.

The Yiddish Policemen's Union: A Telltale Games Series

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Why is it racist? I haven't looked into it at all except for one article which was mostly about how the message the game puts across is about the government only protecting capitalism or something.
Are all the hoodie people black?

E-thats a phrase that looks real nice out of context

Man Whore fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Mar 20, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Man Whore posted:

Why is it racist? I haven't looked into it at all except for one article which was mostly about how the message the game puts across is about the government only protecting capitalism or something.
Are all the hoodie people black?

It's kind of hard to tell because their faces are shadowed but that makes them look black. Otherwise, they look like "generic video game gang-bangers in hoodies often wearing bright colors." They have a definite racist vibe. In terms of the overall plot, not really racist or even utterly pro-capitalist

Game main story summary: you spend most of the game securing/rebuilding critical city infrastructure (water, electricity, medical, security, etc) to provide adequate living for the remaining living residents of the city while preventing various factions from destroying the city or otherwise harming city residents. The rioters are looking to escape by any means necessary (including breaking a dam/tunnel that will devastate part of the city), the cleaners are trying to burn the city down to prevent the spread of the virus but making it hard for your doctors to find a cure because they're destroying all the original research, the rikers are a bunch of escaped convicts who (as the game goes out of its way to mention, are mostly deranged career criminals and not the non-violent offenders who probably just headed home) are taking control of infrastructure as leverage to take what they need or want from residents, and the last and most difficult faction is a power-hungry PMC hired by 1%-ers to come protect their assets who abandoned that mission and allied with a brilliant but deranged government operative in his attempt to use the crisis to take control of the city and possibly the country.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Mar 20, 2016

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

:stare:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

bloodychill posted:

It's kind of hard to tell because their faces are shadowed but that makes them look black. Otherwise, they look like "generic video game gang-bangers in hoodies often wearing bright colors." They have a definite racist vibe. In terms of the overall plot, not really racist or even utterly pro-capitalist

So what you mean to say is, "it's not, but I just wanted to have some input on the discussion of this video game"

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

CJacobs posted:

So what you mean to say is, "it's not, but I just wanted to have some input on the discussion of this video game"

No, and this is a lovely post "translating" someone's intent into how you think or feel without really understanding the intent or conversation. Don't do that.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 20, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You think "wearing a hood with face shadowed" = racist so I don't know what to tell you lol

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
You think that denoting evil with dark skin and urban clothing has some gross racial overtones? Maybe it's you who's the racist :smug:

-puffs ecig whilst listening to Freakonomics-

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

CJacobs posted:

You think "wearing a hood with face shadowed" = racist so I don't know what to tell you lol

I think that having a faction called the "rioters" that you must indiscriminately shoot at times who usually wear bright colors associated with black gangs, are portrayed in a way where they seemingly having dark skin, and shoot their guns with their hands turned to the side in a way commonly associated with gangs is mildly racist. More so when you consider how some Americans talked about black youth in the wake of the case involving Treyvon Martin.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 20, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
See it's funny, if you had said all of that instead of only giving the least reasonable part, I'd have been like "ok I can see where you're coming from".

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

CJacobs posted:

See it's funny, if you had said all of that instead of only giving the least reasonable part, I'd have been like "ok I can see where you're coming from".
That is what they said. The wording is even very similar.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Did you just decide it was more reasonable because they added "mildly" before "racist?"

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Quick, everyone start equivocating lest someone believe you hold an opinion strongly!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well, it might have been a phrasing thing. I guess to me it felt like a stretch without it laid out plainly like that.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Sleeveless posted:

The Yiddish Policemen's Union: A Telltale Games Series

Please stop posting anime

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
I think black people should be less offended about how they're portrayed. In fact, they should be thanking Ubisoft for including them in the game at all, unlike my tan friends. It's just black and white and ambiguous asian. Don't even forget that choosing a black character gives you access to four stereotypical black hairstyles and denies access to white people's hair, so you can be your unique black self without the burden of feeling white. Thanks Ubisoft for giving us such an amazing character creator in 2016.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I want Taint Reaper back.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ravane posted:

I think black people should be less offended about how they're portrayed. In fact, they should be thanking Ubisoft for including them in the game at all, unlike my tan friends. It's just black and white and ambiguous asian. Don't even forget that choosing a black character gives you access to four stereotypical black hairstyles and denies access to white people's hair, so you can be your unique black self without the burden of feeling white. Thanks Ubisoft for giving us such an amazing character creator in 2016.
As much as Ravane sucks (and he does suck) I feel like plain old sarcasm is better than his usual bullshit, so yaaaaaay.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Nasgate posted:

Don't it always seem to go
that you don't know what you've got til' it's gone...

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FactsAreUseless posted:

As much as Ravane sucks (and he does suck) I feel like plain old sarcasm is better than his usual bullshit, so yaaaaaay.

One rung up on the humor ladder is still not very far.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I forgot that Resident Evil 4 has an entire segment near the end where you're fighting spider robots and flying drones.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

I forgot that Resident Evil 4 has an entire segment near the end where you're fighting spider robots and flying drones.

Krauser is a HUGE fan of Deus Ex. thanks for reminding me I have to play RE4 for the 10th time

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
My favorite little thing that I had forgotten about this playthrough is that at one point you get to play a human crane game with a giant claw and a garbage chute.

Also since I've played the game legitimately on like three different platforms I used a trainer and went out of my way to use weapons I normally don't and it rules. The mine launcher is a beast when you don't have to worry about ammo and the TMP is surprisingly effective because it can just stunlock most enemies until they die.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Sleeveless posted:

My favorite little thing that I had forgotten about this playthrough is that at one point you get to play a human crane game with a giant claw and a garbage chute.

Also since I've played the game legitimately on like three different platforms I used a trainer and went out of my way to use weapons I normally don't and it rules. The mine launcher is a beast when you don't have to worry about ammo and the TMP is surprisingly effective because it can just stunlock most enemies until they die.

The TMP is good for getting the enemies to flinch so you can do the melee attacks. That's how I used it.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
You can also do this by shooting them in the face once with the pistol.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Nasgate posted:

CJacobs posted:

One rung up on the humor ladder is still not very far.

How do you idiots not see the racism, though?

I'm not joking, how is it 2016 and a basic character creator doesn't allow you to create literally 1/3rd of the human race? Think about that. Assuming that we vary in skin tone from white to brown to black. Think about all the olive and tan skinned people whether latino, south american, middle eastern, east indian, aboriginal australian, spanish, or a mix of any of those or just mixed in general. The Division's character creator has like 8 faces you can choose from, 4 of those are white, 2 of those are black, 2 of those are asian. How does that represent me? I can choose a white guy and give myself a slight tan, but that will never be MY SKIN TONE. I can choose a black guy, I can't change his skin colour, and I'm stuck with the stereotypical hairstyles, such as corn rows, an afro, bald or buzzcut. How does that represent ME?

I'm not either of these, I'm in between and I can't choose myself because someone at Ubisoft just forgot about 1/3rd of the human population and chose to cater to white and black people, of which they couldn't even get black people correctly. And asians can choose like two faces and that represents all of japan, china, korea, etc. That's clearly good enough.

You know, in Deus Ex, I was able to choose a latino looking JC and I thought, finally, someone that isn't a white protagonist that I can relate to. But this poo poo in The Division is just too ridiculous. Some characters are going to be white or black or whatever, but in a game where you create the protagonist and they don't give you option to be your own skin color...

Can you imagine playing Dragon Age and they said "white people don't exist in this game, so there is no white skin tone." Can you imagine?

So now think how I feel. Think how all the tan to brown people feel when they have to choose a white or black character because they can't choose a character that best represents them.

If you think this is taint reaping, you're just a racist, sorry to say.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I wish the game made it more clear that flashbang grenades instantly kill any exposed Plagas because it turns them from being vendor trash to being the most useful grenades by far.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sleeveless posted:

I wish the game made it more clear that flashbang grenades instantly kill any exposed Plagas because it turns them from being vendor trash to being the most useful grenades by far.

It also really needed a dedicated granade button, did any of the later versions add that?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Sleeveless posted:

Those things were a godsend on that mine level in mercenaries mode

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

it's not that your points don't hold merit, it's just that you're a fuckhead and nobody with the proper amount of chromosomes wants to read your blog about ubisoft and race representation in the casual chatting thread.

Plebian Parasite fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 20, 2016

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ravane posted:

How do you idiots not see the racism, though?

I'm not joking, how is it 2016 and a basic character creator doesn't allow you to create literally 1/3rd of the human race? Think about that. Assuming that we vary in skin tone from white to brown to black. Think about all the olive and tan skinned people whether latino, south american, middle eastern, east indian, aboriginal australian, spanish, or a mix of any of those or just mixed in general. The Division's character creator has like 8 faces you can choose from, 4 of those are white, 2 of those are black, 2 of those are asian. How does that represent me? I can choose a white guy and give myself a slight tan, but that will never be MY SKIN TONE. I can choose a black guy, I can't change his skin colour, and I'm stuck with the stereotypical hairstyles, such as corn rows, an afro, bald or buzzcut. How does that represent ME?

I'm not either of these, I'm in between and I can't choose myself because someone at Ubisoft just forgot about 1/3rd of the human population and chose to cater to white and black people, of which they couldn't even get black people correctly. And asians can choose like two faces and that represents all of japan, china, korea, etc. That's clearly good enough.

You know, in Deus Ex, I was able to choose a latino looking JC and I thought, finally, someone that isn't a white protagonist that I can relate to. But this poo poo in The Division is just too ridiculous. Some characters are going to be white or black or whatever, but in a game where you create the protagonist and they don't give you option to be your own skin color...

Can you imagine playing Dragon Age and they said "white people don't exist in this game, so there is no white skin tone." Can you imagine?

So now think how I feel. Think how all the tan to brown people feel when they have to choose a white or black character because they can't choose a character that best represents them.

If you think this is taint reaping, you're just a racist, sorry to say.

ravane is right again but also still am awful poster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Flash grenades were still good even without the Las Plagas instant kill because they could still stun the big enemies like Dr. Salavador.

• Locked thread