Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

greazeball posted:

What's a good music manager/player for Windows 10 (primarily) and also sometimes Lubuntu?

I have a lot of different styles and genres and especially a lot of compilations and OSTs and I like listening mostly to full albums but I also want to make a playlist from time to time. I have a lovely time with library style players that don't show me my collection in the folder structure. They seem to either list by artist, in which case my hip hop collection gets obliterated because each track is recorded with a different crew, or by album, which just takes way too loving long to scroll through. However, maybe I'm old and dumb and things are a lot better now? Once I have a system that works, I'm going to start tightening up my tags, right now they're pretty basic but OK.

No idea about Lubuntu, but foobar2000 is pretty decent and should do what you want it to. Also has a handy 'shuffle' function that can do full albums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I can use different software on different computers! Most of my day is on my windows work PC but the HTPC is Lubuntu and we're running Plex on that. I can navigate by folder but then it doesn't display the artwork and playlist editing is trash, etc.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I use Clementine, it seems like a pretty adequate "WinAMP but still being updated" substitute if you don't want to go full foobar. It lets you create a(n up to) three-tiered sorting system by a bunch of different criteria if you don't feel like artist/album works for you.

e: Looks like it's inspired by / forked off of / whatever Amarok anyways.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 20, 2016

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Is there a name for the technique where you duplicate and blur the edges of a video and use them to cover the black bars that result from playing a non-16:9 video on a 16:9 screen?

Follow-up question: Does anyone actually prefer that to black bars or a static image?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

HMS Boromir posted:

Is there a name for the technique where you duplicate and blur the edges of a video and use them to cover the black bars that result from playing a non-16:9 video on a 16:9 screen?

While looking around, it seems it gets called a "Pull Focus" effect?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So I've heard multiple times that VHS tapes would have "rules" to them about how if you have X amount of people watching the tape you have to buy a presentation copy or w/e to "legally" be allowed to show the tape to that many people. Is this actually true? Googling isn't helping, all I'm getting is "what is a VHS tape" and "how to convert VHS to DVD"

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Leal posted:

So I've heard multiple times that VHS tapes would have "rules" to them about how if you have X amount of people watching the tape you have to buy a presentation copy or w/e to "legally" be allowed to show the tape to that many people. Is this actually true? Googling isn't helping, all I'm getting is "what is a VHS tape" and "how to convert VHS to DVD"

Pretty sure it wasn't a specific number of people, there was just a warning at the beginning of any VHS tape saying it was specifically for private non-commercial home use and you weren't allowed to show it in public

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Leal posted:

Most home video releases of any format are technically licensed for "home use" only. This is true whether VHS or Betamax or LaserDisc or CED or whatever other weird formats there are out there. In theory even showing it to people who came over for a birthday party is a violation and you "should" have purchased a much more expensive copy to properly pay the copyright holder for your use.

In reality, the only time you'll get in trouble is if you make a business out of regularly showing the video in question, or if you try to rent it out. You could also get in trouble if you're showing it to your employees as part of your business.

An interesting side note: in the very early days of home video this wasn't true... but releases would generally be $100 or more in that time's money for obscure movies and as much as $2000 for recent/big name movies. That's why rental stores were so much of a thing, you had to be filthy rich to afford buying multiple movies. (In modern money, that would be like paying $275 for the cheapest movies and as much as $6000 for the most expensive!)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Imagine paying $6,000 to see star wars in low definition 4:3 resolution

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Enourmo posted:

Imagine paying $6,000 to see star wars in low definition 4:3 resolution

At least you wouldn't have to see the dinosaur rear end covering the frame.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
How much time is supposed to have passed in the Harry Potter books?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mister Kingdom posted:

The main narrative of the first book starts in June 1991 and the last part of the main storyline in the last book is either May or June 1998. Most of the books start in July 199x where x is the number of the book, since they're each about a year long.

There are flashbacks as early as World War II along the way, and the epilogue at the end of the last book takes place in 2017. So you could either say about 7 years, or about 70 years, depending on if you count breaks from the main story.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Mister Kingdom posted:

The "real-time" events of the books run from june 1991 to june 1998, so 7 years.

Epilogue is '17, and there's various flashbacks that go way farther back, but that's the main story timeline.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Thanks for the foobar tips, I think that's worth a shot.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Kurzon posted:

I'm not a network expert. Can any goons with expertise tell give me any insights? Any new paths of investigation?

What do you hope to learn? You trying to get their home address? Gonna show up on their doorstep and yell at them for ruining your wikipedia page? Stop stalking this person.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

fishmech posted:

The main narrative of the first book starts in June 1991 and the last part of the main storyline in the last book is either May or June 1998. Most of the books start in July 199x where x is the number of the book, since they're each about a year long.

There are flashbacks as early as World War II along the way, and the epilogue at the end of the last book takes place in 2017. So you could either say about 7 years, or about 70 years, depending on if you count breaks from the main story.

Thanks. (and Enourmo, too).

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I have been trying to find one of the original memes of that fat circle faced Asian kid... Possibly a student. He's looking at the camera with a sort of skeptical look. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I search on Google with no luck.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Busy Bee posted:

I have been trying to find one of the original memes of that fat circle faced Asian kid... Possibly a student. He's looking at the camera with a sort of skeptical look. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I search on Google with no luck.

Someone in the meme thread might know.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3746906

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Do fresh new Canadian dollars actually smell like maple syrup, or is this some kinda urban legend/prank gone horribly wrong?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

YggiDee posted:

Do fresh new Canadian dollars actually smell like maple syrup, or is this some kinda urban legend/prank gone horribly wrong?

Nah. These days they just smell like table syrup.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Found him! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Fatty

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Kurzon posted:

I'm trying to learn anything I can about some troll who has been doing a lot of minor vandalism on Wikipedia recently. Here are some of the IP addresses he has been using:

All these addresses trace to Maryland, near the southern border of Delaware. I looked at the dates of the contributions and there are only a handful of points where they overlap, which makes me think that it's one person who gets assigned a new IP address every few weeks or so. All the IPs belong to Verizon Online.

I'm not a network expert. Can any goons with expertise tell give me any insights? Any new paths of investigation?

If you're an admin or whatever it is Wikipedia has, get them to IP ban 108.8.4X.XXX and 72.84.18X.XXX and then stop caring because there's nothing else you can do without being illegal andor creepy. Yes, you are blocking a whole bunch of innocent people from this IP group. No, that doesn't matter, because it's trivial to register for Wikipedia if they really want to.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Kurtofan posted:

What's the male equivalent of the word mistress? Lover?

Kopijeger posted:

"Paramour" can be used for both sexes, I believe.
Neither of those imply infidelity.

"Master", surely, if you're going for the other meanings of "mistress".

greazeball posted:

What's a good music manager/player for Windows 10 (primarily) and also sometimes Lubuntu?

I have a lot of different styles and genres and especially a lot of compilations and OSTs and I like listening mostly to full albums but I also want to make a playlist from time to time. I have a lovely time with library style players that don't show me my collection in the folder structure. They seem to either list by artist, in which case my hip hop collection gets obliterated because each track is recorded with a different crew, or by album, which just takes way too loving long to scroll through. However, maybe I'm old and dumb and things are a lot better now? Once I have a system that works, I'm going to start tightening up my tags, right now they're pretty basic but OK.
I use Audacious in Linux, which lets me sort by file path, but the important thing regardless of what player you use it to have your music properly tagged and sorted. Get MusicBrainz Picard and use it to fix your tags and sort things the way you want them. I used it to sort stuff into folders by album artist and name the files <year> - <album> - <track#> - <title> (<artist>), and I manually fixed the album artists to be more consistent. So I get stuff like:

/home/tiggum/Music/Kelly, Paul/1987 - Under the Sun - 01 - Dumb Things (Paul Kelly and The Messengers).mp3

That way all of Paul Kelly's music is sorted together (regardless of whether it's Paul Kelly and the Messengers, Paul Kelly and the Stormwater Boys, or whatever) and when you sort by file path it comes up in full albums arranged by year. It's a pain in the arse to do it properly even with Picard taking a lot of the work out of it though.

HMS Boromir posted:

Does anyone actually prefer the technique where you duplicate and blur the edges of a video to black bars or a static image?
Yes. I find it far less distracting and I wish everyone would do it.

Leal posted:

So I've heard multiple times that VHS tapes would have "rules" to them about how if you have X amount of people watching the tape you have to buy a presentation copy or w/e to "legally" be allowed to show the tape to that many people. Is this actually true?
I used to know some people who owned a games shop, and they'd sometimes play DVDs there. Apparently it was OK for them to show any DVD they sold as it could be justified as promoting that item, but if they didn't sell it then they couldn't play it.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I have about 60GB of Dropbox space. I needed to transfer a big file (dozens of GB, I don't remember how big) a few weeks back and instead of waiting for the dropbox to sync via the app I just downloaded it via the web interface. It shut down all my public links halfway through this download for excess bandwidth usage, but it allowed me to finish the download and all was well.

They put me in Dropbox jail for excess bandwidth usage. They sent an e-mail that said the first time you're in Dropbox jail you just login to the web interface, they yell at you with a variety of little info boxes, and then you are freed from jail. They don't say what happens the second time, and this is the second time (over several years... not like the 2nd time this week). I logged in and looked around, but nothing. The e-mail isn't more specific.

I don't know how to get out of dropbox jail. It's been two weeks. I still can't share public links.

Any hints? I assumed it would turn back on over time, but no luck so far. Even an ETA would be helpful.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

photomikey posted:

I have about 60GB of Dropbox space. I needed to transfer a big file (dozens of GB, I don't remember how big) a few weeks back and instead of waiting for the dropbox to sync via the app I just downloaded it via the web interface. It shut down all my public links halfway through this download for excess bandwidth usage, but it allowed me to finish the download and all was well.

They put me in Dropbox jail for excess bandwidth usage. They sent an e-mail that said the first time you're in Dropbox jail you just login to the web interface, they yell at you with a variety of little info boxes, and then you are freed from jail. They don't say what happens the second time, and this is the second time (over several years... not like the 2nd time this week). I logged in and looked around, but nothing. The e-mail isn't more specific.

I don't know how to get out of dropbox jail. It's been two weeks. I still can't share public links.

Any hints? I assumed it would turn back on over time, but no luck so far. Even an ETA would be helpful.

I don't have an answer for you but IMO Dropbox sucks for this sort of transfer. I know it's too late in this case but there's a newish app called BitTorrent Sync which syncs folders P2P, which is currently free (I think, because it's not fully released yet) even for large data volumes. There's also options like WeTransfer which has a threshold where you have to pay for it which is probably too low for you, but it's very good for sending large files.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Don't use dropbox to share unless you are using the business version.

OneDrive is actually pretty decent and actually can serve videos for streaming, unlike DropBox

Douku
Jun 18, 2007

I'm recovering from social anxiety and I would like to make some friends online.

I know how chat rooms and forums work but I honestly don't know where to start. I'm looking for something that is anonymous so that I don't need to share personal information upfront..

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Douku posted:

I'm recovering from social anxiety and I would like to make some friends online.

I know how chat rooms and forums work but I honestly don't know where to start. I'm looking for something that is anonymous so that I don't need to share personal information upfront..

Do you have any particular interests?

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Gravity Pike posted:

What do you hope to learn? You trying to get their home address? Gonna show up on their doorstep and yell at them for ruining your wikipedia page? Stop stalking this person.
Not in this case, but I would like to learn how to do this sort of thing, along with clean methods of assassination and body disposal.

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 21, 2016

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

If someone really ticks you off, consider getting up and walking away from the computer instead of attempting to find their personal information to dangle in front of them as a personal threat.

Douku
Jun 18, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

Do you have any particular interests?

I enjoy reading books (classics, mysteries, and science fiction) and watching movies (especially thrillers and horror movies).

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I'm trying to find a short video that came out a few years ago... it's generally about false happiness imparted by social media. The guy in the video posts a sad message on Facebook and gets no likes, then begins posting falsely cheerful messages and gets lots of likes. He ends up doing more and more ridiculous things to get likes (ie. driving up a mountain to take a picture, "great day for a morning run!" and then hopping back in his car and driving back down), and eventually ends up more depressed than before.

Does anyone know the video I'm talking about? I can't seem to find it. I think it may have been produced by some sort of foundation or organization.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Douku posted:

I enjoy reading books (classics, mysteries, and science fiction) and watching movies (especially thrillers and horror movies).

The Book Barn (here on our very forums) sounds right up your alley. I'm sure CineD (likewise) could also appeal to your taste in movies. They're friendlier than your average subforum, too!

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

kedo posted:

I'm trying to find a short video that came out a few years ago... it's generally about false happiness imparted by social media. The guy in the video posts a sad message on Facebook and gets no likes, then begins posting falsely cheerful messages and gets lots of likes. He ends up doing more and more ridiculous things to get likes (ie. driving up a mountain to take a picture, "great day for a morning run!" and then hopping back in his car and driving back down), and eventually ends up more depressed than before.

Does anyone know the video I'm talking about? I can't seem to find it. I think it may have been produced by some sort of foundation or organization.

Is this it? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxVZYiJKl1Y

Douku
Jun 18, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

The Book Barn (here on our very forums) sounds right up your alley. I'm sure CineD (likewise) could also appeal to your taste in movies. They're friendlier than your average subforum, too!

I usually find the prospect of posting on SA intimidating but I'm willing to give these sub forums a shot. Thanks!

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

That's it! Thanks.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
No idea if we have an RSS/Feedly thread anywhere, so here goes.

I haven't added any feeds to Feedly in quite some time, and now I can't figure out how to do so simply. I don't have any collections in Feedly; everything's just in one big category called Uncategorized because I don't care enough. I want to add a feed, but Feedly seems to now require I create a new collection to add the feed. What the hell is that about, and is there a way to avoid that?

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Douku posted:

If you like gaming, check out twitch.tv and find some friendly little streams.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

What's shadier, FIFA or the IOC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Smoking Crow posted:

What's shadier, FIFA or the IOC

IOwnCalculus does a fine job of modding AI, thank you very much

(to continue the car theme, the answer is actually FIA)