Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Republican Party was founded today in 1854 in Ripon, Wisconsin.

So it lasted just a little over 162 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Dallas loves you, Mr. Trump

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Donald Trump is a master of loaded language. This is a good summary of the coded terms and phrases used by demagogues such as him:

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Loaded_language

His pander checklist:
- build up military
- help our Vets
- respect our police
- no border, no country
- end Obamacare
- bomb ISIS
- I'm a good Christian
- bring back jobs
- U.S. nearing 20 trillion debt

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Donald Trump is a master of loaded language. This is a good summary of the coded terms and phrases used by demagogues such as him:

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Loaded_language

His pander checklist:
- build up military
- help our Vets
- respect our police
- no border, no country
- end Obamacare
- bomb ISIS
- I'm a good Christian
- bring back jobs
- U.S. nearing 20 trillion debt

take out the border one and swap the jobs one for "we can't punish success in this country" and you've got bog-standard GOP rhetoric so i'm not sure what's specifically standout demagogue-y here

like newt gingrich literally wrote the book on this poo poo in the 90s, it's nothing new

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

take out the border one and swap the jobs one for "we can't punish success in this country" and you've got bog-standard GOP rhetoric so i'm not sure what's specifically standout demagogue-y here

like newt gingrich literally wrote the book on this poo poo in the 90s, it's nothing new

Well, its saying all those without taking GOPe money that's demagoguey.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

drat...petit choux with the deep cut.

[responded to this before you edited in the attribution]

You're probably being ironic but anyway, aw shucks. (My irony detector is getting a little out of whack lately and was never too good to begin with, which is evident if you're unfortunate enough to look at my post history.) I was just trying to put a little context for the 'hidey-ho face" because that's the face we'll be seeing on everyone that remains of the Republicans that haven't already Trumped out.

(The song is really about the US, regardless of party affiliation. And those guys have still managed to get a real killer or two on each album, even in their 60s.)

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

My Imaginary GF posted:

Well, its saying all those without taking GOPe money that's demagoguey.

you think he's gonna turn down GOPe money in the general? he's been asked several times and hasn't ruled it out

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

That only touches the surface of it though. I think that Dilbert guy, oddly enough, has a lot to say about Trump's tactics.

Can somebody please help locate that youtube where the two giant policemen with shaved heads come up to the podium and tell the audience he's our last chance or something like that, and he is just beaming with a look that's half PT Barnum and half Carl from ATHF. I just did a quick google and am not seeing it. It was posted either here or in D&D a few weeks ago.

Donald Trump is the second greatest salesman of all time. He's gonna close on the White House yet.

VVVV Agreed. Except it's Muslims and not Catholics this time.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 20, 2016

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

YakOnFir posted:

The irony of wearing an ireland shirt while supporting an orange man

Hee hee hee

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

is it normal to uncontrollably laugh at this picture

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

look like a goddamn oompa loompa

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

petit choux posted:

Can somebody please help locate that youtube where the two giant policemen with shaved heads come up to the podium and tell the audience he's our last chance or something like that, and he is just beaming with a look that's half PT Barnum and half Carl from ATHF. I just did a quick google and am not seeing it. It was posted either here or in D&D a few weeks ago.

DO NOT LET THEM INTIMIDATE YOU! You back this man right here to the hilt.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Donald Trump is that announcer dude from The Running Man, with Arnold on the same team.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
It must suck being a Mormon having to wear magic underwear to stop you from masturbating while knowing your religion was founded and led by a bunch of pedophiles loving every teenager they can find for American Jesus.

What I'm saying is Mormons hate Trump because they know he runs a better cult.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

So I figured out the mentality of of course Trump will figure out the details.

The only reason we haven't implemented common sense solutions is because evil people control the govt that make calls just to make people suffer! That's why Mexico sends bad people to steal my line cook job, pure malice! But this Trump guy speaks from the heart. His earnest effort will make it work. Not like these money grubbing politicians!

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

It must suck being a Mormon having to wear magic underwear to stop you from masturbating while knowing your religion was founded and led by a bunch of pedophiles loving every teenager they can find for American Jesus.

What I'm saying is Mormons hate Trump because they know he runs a better cult.

marriage between two individuals is the most sacred institution on this planet

it is an institution in which mormons have no faith

funny, then, that a candidate running on his christian faith is rejected by mormons.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

the important thing about time cube is that the four corners of the cube are actually the vertical edges

i think that's the key

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine

TheTatteredKing posted:

So I figured out the mentality of of course Trump will figure out the details.

The only reason we haven't implemented common sense solutions is because evil people control the govt that make calls just to make people suffer! That's why Mexico sends bad people to steal my line cook job, pure malice! But this Trump guy speaks from the heart. His earnest effort will make it work. Not like these money grubbing politicians!

It's not that hard to understand. Free Trade is a net good if you look at it academically. I mean any econ course will bring up the whole things change people need to adapt cars and carriages etc. It's just that the ones who have born the brunt of Free Trade in America are the blue collar workers. Neither party really cared much about this. The Democrats who had always been the champion of unions has seen them become a minor force in their decisions. Maybe they like it that way more. The Republicans don't give a poo poo either. So while it's nice everyone can buy things cheaper at Walmart it's not so nice when you realize that there is no place for you in the job market, the economy is just getting over a recession, and the biggest population segment in the U.S. is starting to enter the labor market.

I mean it's not like there haven't been free trade/importation of labor critical politicians before but never after we've seen the toll NAFTA and other treaties have taken on the U.S. population or using that critical position as their main pillar in rallies/debates.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Must-read article about the head of Right to Rise: http://www.weeklystandard.com/debriefing-mike-murphy/article/2001632

Includes things like this:

quote:

(Murphy) refuses to use the words "brokered convention," since "there really aren't many brokers anymore besides Mark Levin." Murphy's certainly up for one, as he is sick of our sanitized infomercial conventions anyway. Being a student of political history, he pines for the days when there were no primaries. "You'd just pack a quart of liquor, a revolver, and go to the convention."

And also a bonus bit with Roger Stone.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Oiled and Ready posted:

DO NOT LET THEM INTIMIDATE YOU! You back this man right here to the hilt.

drat straight. One of the better quotables from his campaign. Got it now. His facial expressions are awesome here. He's probably like this all the time but I can't stand to watch any of these fuckers for very long. And those good ol' boys aren't as big as I remember, oddly enough. I'm used to southern law enforcement guys being humongous.

PS, I miss your old AV. It was one of my favs.

http://www.westernjournalism.com/watch-trump-sees-what-2-crowd-members-did-instantly-calls-them-up-on-stage/

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

AllanGordon posted:

It's not that hard to understand. Free Trade is a net good if you look at it academically. I mean any econ course will bring up the whole things change people need to adapt cars and carriages etc. It's just that the ones who have born the brunt of Free Trade in America are the blue collar workers. Neither party really cared much about this. The Democrats who had always been the champion ID unions has seen them become a minor force in their decisions. Maybe they like it that way more. The Republicans don't give a poo poo either. So while it's nice everyone can buy things cheaper at Walmart it's not so nice when you realize that there is no place for you in the job market, the economy is just getting over a recession, and the biggest population segment in the U.S. is starting to enter the labor market.

I mean it's not like there haven't been free trade/importation of labor critical politicians before but never after we've seen the toll NAFTA and other treaties have taken on the U.S. population or using that critical position as their main pillar in rallies/debates.

That sure is a reason to trust snake oil salesman Donald Trump.
Im suffering from the job market too but I don't get my news from sources that insist PP is selling babies for reasons.
It ties into painting Democrat leadership as illegitimate. Since Republicans have failed to deal with whatever problem, such as the one you detailed, they must be legitimate too and in on the conspiracy to make people suffer.
Basically it's a problem of viewing malice in apathy. So the guy that "talks like they do" will make it work because clearly only evil intentions have caused tech to over take manufacturer jobs.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

AllanGordon posted:

It's not that hard to understand. Free Trade is a net good if you look at it academically. I mean any econ course will bring up the whole things change people need to adapt cars and carriages etc. It's just that the ones who have born the brunt of Free Trade in America are the blue collar workers. Neither party really cared much about this. The Democrats who had always been the champion of unions has seen them become a minor force in their decisions. Maybe they like it that way more. The Republicans don't give a poo poo either. So while it's nice everyone can buy things cheaper at Walmart it's not so nice when you realize that there is no place for you in the job market, the economy is just getting over a recession, and the biggest population segment in the U.S. is starting to enter the labor market.

I was reading a pretty interesting discussion about why people might support protectionist policies vs. why they're actually a really terrible idea, and what came up is that while free trade is better in the long run, it has nasty side effects for certain segments of the population. When those side effects are dealt with promptly and effectively, as many governments have done in the past, protectionist rhetoric gains no traction. But when the government and politicians ignore the side effects and allow a large group of angry dispossessed people to form, protectionism gains a lot of support. So, basically free trade advocates have done serious damage to the popularity of their own ideas by refusing to use government power to help the people dispossessed as a result of the inevitable consequences of free trade agreements. And then the fuckers are cosmically dense enough not to understand what they've done and be super-confused as to why protectionism, which is to them so self-evidently stupid as to not be worth considering, is now really popular. The let-them-eat-cake attitude has disastrous long-term consequences.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The thing to keep in mind is that the problems of lack of protectionism already finished over like 1950-2010. Bringing it back in now isn't going to bring back pretty much anything that's left, chinese slave wages still keep prices down considerably compared to binging that stuff to the US. They've never even had a free trade pact with us, and they still produce so much stuff!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Betting market report

It's been holding steady since March 15, and even that didn't move it much. I don't expect much will until we start getting the big prizes in April. Trump 78, Cruz 13, Kasich 7. Romney and Ryan at 1.

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine

fishmech posted:

The thing to keep in mind is that the problems of lack of protectionism already finished over like 1950-2010. Bringing it back in now isn't going to bring back pretty much anything that's left, chinese slave wages still keep prices down considerably compared to binging that stuff to the US. They've never even had a free trade pact with us, and they still produce so much stuff!

?????

The chinese export boom is over. A lot of the uncomplicated manufacturing is moving/already moved to SEA which coincidentally the U.S. has worked together with to make the TPP.

Chinese labor costs have become too large and there aren't any more migrants to take advantage of. For tech related stuff in the near future will still be made there.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

AllanGordon posted:

?????

The chinese export boom is over. A lot of the uncomplicated manufacturing is moving/already moved to SEA which coincidentally the U.S. has worked together with to make the TPP.

Chinese labor costs have become too large and there aren't any more migrants to take advantage of. For tech related stuff in the near future will still be made there.

Yeah that's why China is who's going to lose employment when the TPP happens, not the US.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Jewel Repetition posted:

Betting market report

It's been holding steady since March 15, and even that didn't move it much. I don't expect much will until we start getting the big prizes in April. Trump 78, Cruz 13, Kasich 7. Romney and Ryan at 1.

I think, at a brokered convention, Ryan may be the only voice of reason.

America's next Garfield.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

From /pol/

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I still think Trump's best possible VP pick would be Oprah.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

CortezFantastic posted:

:laffo:

MENTALLY RETARDED

INFO WARS DOT COM

EAT YOU'RE PARENTS BRAIN'S

GAIN THEIR KNOWLEDGE

Jesse Ventura would never be running mate for an Illumanti pawn like Trump.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Alex Jones is amazing.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

petit choux posted:

drat straight. One of the better quotables from his campaign. Got it now. His facial expressions are awesome here. He's probably like this all the time but I can't stand to watch any of these fuckers for very long. And those good ol' boys aren't as big as I remember, oddly enough. I'm used to southern law enforcement guys being humongous.

PS, I miss your old AV. It was one of my favs.

http://www.westernjournalism.com/watch-trump-sees-what-2-crowd-members-did-instantly-calls-them-up-on-stage/

It was that because my original name was Roomba, so a goomba with a vacuum, i was a clever 14 year old

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Jewel Repetition posted:

Must-read article about the head of Right to Rise: http://www.weeklystandard.com/debriefing-mike-murphy/article/2001632

Includes things like this:

quote:

(Murphy) refuses to use the words "brokered convention," since "there really aren't many brokers anymore besides Mark Levin."

i can't believe the future of the Republican party is in the hands of a talking cup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGjZm4ICDxw

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Jewel Repetition posted:

"And you get a wall! And you get a wall! Every American in this country gets a wall!"

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

Holy lol that Alex Jones video from a few pages back is a loving instant classic.

"I CANT loving DO IT ANYMORE I HATE GEORGE SOROS JUST TURN IT OFF!!!"

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Jewel Repetition posted:

Swerve pick, Rosie O'Donnell

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

My Imaginary GF posted:

I think, at a brokered convention, Ryan may be the only voice of reason.

America's next Garfield.

I thought Trump was the one that really hates Mondays.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Cronodoculous posted:

https://twitter.com/alex_satterly/status/711323486950596608

Hmm... Nope! Takes his sign, guy turns to face him, is immediately punched. I mean, maybe he spit on him from before this video starts. Some sort of long range loogie, but...

... there must have been a second spitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Jewel Repetition posted:

Alex Jones is amazing.

I used to listen to Alex Jones non-stop while playing games. I'm honestly envious of his job, it seems like a total blast.

• Locked thread