Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Invalid Validation posted:

What does Blizzard hope to accomplish with a bad CGI movie seven years too late?

- Movies take revenue.
- WoW is still a thing.
- They want to get people back into WoW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

Huh I didn't realize they were retconning as early as Warcraft II. In that one the orcs came from a dead red world and massacred the other people, the draenei, and Gul'dan worked to open the portal to Azeroth to give them something else to conquer.

That's how I remember the story from the manuals... reading them when I was a child. So I could be very wrong about all of this. :/

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

I said come in! posted:

That's how I remember the story from the manuals... reading them when I was a child. So I could be very wrong about all of this. :/

Im pretty sure the original story from the game manual was that the orc were just assholes who were convinced to go through the portal by the warlocks so they could kill other people rather than each other. The very first thing they did was slaughter a small village.

Found it
http://www.scribd.com/doc/3914674/Warcraft-Orcs-Humans-Manual#scribd

Ikasuhito fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 20, 2016

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Groovelord Neato posted:

in the original (better) story the orcs came from outland which was a sorta hosed up dimension. draenor wasn't a thing.

I don't understand your issue. Outland is Draenor. Just because they expand on lore doesn't mean it's straight up retconned.

There has been some retconning in the Warcraft lore, but this is a really lame hill to die on.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

- Movies take revenue.
- WoW is still a thing.
- They want to get people back into WoW.

This movie is still about 2-3 years too late for that

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

zVxTeflon posted:

This movie is still about 2-3 years too late for that

It's gonna come out a month or so before a new expansion, and they'll probably aim to get their pre-expansion patch out pretty soon after release. The expansion will sell millions, and then some more because of the movie.

It's not too late for anything. If they wanted to sweep the world then yeah, BC/WotLK would have been the best time for a movie. But there's still plenty of reason to make one.

They're also making a new Ghostbusters film 25 years too late. And there was a new Jurassic Park film. A decade late.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Jurassic World was a decade late? It did pretty drat well. I think that's a poor example.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Met posted:

Jurassic World was a decade late? It did pretty drat well. I think that's a poor example.

:thejoke:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Met posted:

I don't understand your issue. Outland is Draenor. Just because they expand on lore doesn't mean it's straight up retconned.

There has been some retconning in the Warcraft lore, but this is a really lame hill to die on.

the weird floating rock dimension is cooler than well actually it was a lush world that was destroyed by bad guys and also actually the orcs are noble savages. blizzard is like games workshop in that they always change/expand poo poo for the worse even when it aint outright retcons (but those are all bad too).

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It's a movie supporting a 12-year old game, which is pretty ludicrous in itself; WoW is inevitably very long in the tooth despite the overall quality level, and it's hitting that point where it just feels like an old loving game that's been improved upon by several successive generations of MMO titles. Technically the movie is actually supporting Warcraft: Orcs and Humans, which as we've discussed has been retconned to be almost unrecognizable from its original incarnation, so as a consequence no one is dying to see that story.

WoW subscriptions are down to a historic low and Blizzard is no longer publishing the numbers. That's about what you need to know in regards to why this movie finally got made. Generally for the past 5-6 years when WoW comes up, the sentiment I hear is always "Yeah I played during BC when it was good." They failed to strike when the iron was hot. Word of mouth on this movie is lukewarm to terrible, and it looks like poo poo.

There are other reasons it probably didn't get made 5-10 years ago when it should have, such as a stink hanging over most video game adaptations (there has been one video game adaptation to break $100 million ever, look at this list of lovely poo poo: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=videogameadaptation.htm) but the tech for a movie that looks better than this was there years ago. They could have perhaps gotten actors with screen presence, or anybody with a name, but studios know this stuff historically has a low ceiling.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

And as far as retcons, non-homers have been coming around to the fact that Chris Metzen only knows how to write one story for years now, and will forcibly retcon anything any different to make it also that story.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

kinda surprised silent hill is barely in the top ten since it's probably the least bad video game movie i've seen.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Huh, I'd have thought the lovely Resident Evil films would have earned a lot more. They're probably the most well known adaptation series.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I'm surprised Tomb Raider is #1, but then again Angelina Jolie was a much bigger star back then, to the point that the conventional wisdom was that Tomb Raider was beneath her.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I'm surprised Tomb Raider is #1, but then again Angelina Jolie was a much bigger star back then, to the point that the conventional wisdom was that Tomb Raider was beneath her.

What kind of photo's did the producers had to get her in that movie I don't want to know.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

He's implying that the only reason Angelina Jolie got the role because she was blackmailed into it.

I thought she got it because the two salient things about Lara Croft at the time were British Accent and Big Boobs.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Invalid Validation posted:

What does Blizzard hope to accomplish with a bad CGI movie seven years too late?

In modern Hollywood IP is more important than quality. This movie will make money, anything that has some sort of recognizable brand will make money. Anyway, Blizzard essentially only has 3 IPs, this movie will strengthen Warcraft's IP, and there will definitely be future Warcraft games.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Thompsons posted:

I haven't played WC3 in forever but I'm pretty sure the point he's trying to make is that the Orcs/Infernals/Legion/Draenei may technically qualify as aliens but the way they look and act they feel as if they may as well be a species native to the planet anyway.

The Burning Legion had a bunch of tech-y stuff in BC (teleporters and demonic robots and turrets), and now they've straight up got giant star destroyer-like spaceships.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

IanTheM posted:

In modern Hollywood IP is more important than quality. This movie will make money, anything that has some sort of recognizable brand will make money. Anyway, Blizzard essentially only has 3 IPs, this movie will strengthen Warcraft's IP, and there will definitely be future Warcraft games.

And I am kind of OK with them not cranking out a Warcraft movie at the height of WoW's popularity because back then the market felt really saturated with WoW-ads. I don't know if marketing works that way but I'd think the movie would have had to compete with the game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Grendels Dad posted:

And I am kind of OK with them not cranking out a Warcraft movie at the height of WoW's popularity because back then the market felt really saturated with WoW-ads. I don't know if marketing works that way but I'd think the movie would have had to compete with the game.

It absolutely doesn't work like that.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Lurdiak posted:

It absolutely doesn't work like that.

That's fair. It still makes me shiver to think that we could have had Warcraft movie adds on top of a thousand Mister T ads.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Grendels Dad posted:

As a general point media of vastly different mediums experienced in vastly different ways do not compete with eachother. The only company I can think of that thinks they do are Games Workshop a notoriously terrible table top game company.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Terrible Opinions posted:

As a general point media of vastly different mediums experienced in vastly different ways do not compete with eachother. The only company I can think of that thinks they do are Games Workshop a notoriously terrible table top game company.

Just how terrible they are can never fully be understood by any one individual.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Groovelord Neato posted:

the weird floating rock dimension is cooler than well actually it was a lush world that was destroyed by bad guys and also actually the orcs are noble savages. blizzard is like games workshop in that they always change/expand poo poo for the worse even when it aint outright retcons (but those are all bad too).

Draenor didn't explode until the end of Warcraft 2. They always came from Draenor, which was a planet that was slowly dying.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Honestly most people bitching about orcs from warcraft trying to have something other than a standard characterization are probably warhammer fans and warhammer fans are universally retarded because they like their universes maximally retarded.

This is not to say Metzen did an amazing job or anything but a failed attempt is a lot better to me than just going the GW route and going maximum retard.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The biggest problem with orcs is the brown/green thing, because the brown orcs just look uncomfortably racist.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!

Snowman_McK posted:

Just how terrible they are can never fully be understood by any one individual.

I once walked into the GW store here in Victoria. The CSR I spoke to admitted he was wasting his life within five minutes of conversation.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

IanTheM posted:

I don't think this film is guaranteed to make money. From everything I have seen so far I think Warcraft is going to bomb.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
They think the Warcraft movie will help World of Warcraft but what I predict is we see a spike in subscriptions for the first month or so following the movie, followed by a sharp drop off when the game looks even more disappointing and chintzy next to the lush graphics of the film.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
This movie looks like something you'd see at midnight on Syfy. It's gonna be really bad.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Panzeh posted:

Honestly most people bitching about orcs from warcraft trying to have something other than a standard characterization are probably warhammer fans and warhammer fans are universally retarded because they like their universes maximally retarded.

This is not to say Metzen did an amazing job or anything but a failed attempt is a lot better to me than just going the GW route and going maximum retard.

jesus gently caress this is wrong

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Pretty much everyone who was ever going to play WoW has. Former players are not going to flock back to an old lovely grindy game because of this movie. At best it'll fuel a bunch of "remember when the game was good" conversations and thats about it. People who have never played it but know what it is are not going to start playing because they know the game is unfun poo poo. People who have never played and don't know what WoW is will to continue to not know/care.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

zVxTeflon posted:

Former players are not going to flock back to an old lovely grindy game because of this movie.

People go back to it all the time for all sorts of reasons.

Also it's a Warcraft movie. Not a World of Warcraft movie. Warcraft isn't WoW.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

sadly it is now.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

none of which will be because of this movie

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Steve2911 posted:

None of which are the writing or NPCs.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Panzeh posted:

No, actually, I just don't like the funny and memorable villains from the old games being turned into forgettable racist stereotypes.

Steve2911 posted:

Also it's a Warcraft movie. Not a World of Warcraft movie. Warcraft isn't WoW.

Everything about this movie is WoW as gently caress.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Terrible Opinions posted:

The biggest problem with orcs is the brown/green thing, because the brown orcs just look uncomfortably racist.

It's not a problem, that's the whole point - oppression/discrimination of others based on how they look is bad. This film is obviously going to address the racism that permeates a good chunk of the fantasy genre. Whether it does it well remains to be seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

Black Bones posted:

It's not a problem, that's the whole point - oppression/discrimination of others based on how they look is bad. This film is obviously going to address the racism that permeates a good chunk of the fantasy genre. Whether it does it well remains to be seen.

This a serious post or sarcasm? I know that fantasy as a whole tends to have some pretty wonky and terrible stuff in terms of racial politics and the Other and all that jazz, but its not like Blizzard does a much better job when they have their own fantasy races act as exaggerated stand-in's for different racial stereotypes (unless its one of the 'pretty' races in which case its just white guy, short angry drinky white guy, really short gadgety white guy or purple guy who is kind of a hippie).

• Locked thread