Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

No, don't suggest that because, get this, the fans are obnoxious! D:

This applies to literally everything ever made though. If you don't play something because its fans are obnoxious, then you're limited to...checkers? Monopoly? Actually, maybe not even those.

Anyways, since we're talking about it, in Undertale I like how much detail was put into the neutral route, even though most people are only going to play pacifist or genocide. If you kill all the dog enemies except Doggo, he thinks everyone's playing a prank on him(he can't see things that aren't moving). Undyne has a dozen or so variations of her pre-battle speech depending on who you killed. There's also a ton of neutral endings depending on which bosses you killed/spared or how many monsters you killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Swedish Horror posted:

This applies to literally everything ever made though. If you don't play something because its fans are obnoxious, then you're limited to...checkers? Monopoly? Actually, maybe not even those.

I've been saying this but people still go on about those loving tumblrs and their lovely meme games that suck and don't live up to the hype like Gone Home or Fire Emblem Awakening. And I guess you just have to assume that literally no one was talking about any of the Smash Bros games or Dark Souls a loving lot when they were released but I guess every time a game comes out and people won't stop talking about it we've gotta treat it like it's new. :v:

I like how weapon effects make people scream themselves to death in Borderlands. Fire weapons make them flail around screaming, shock weapons make them seize before falling over, corrosive ones melt them like they're you dying in Dark Souls not even leaving a corpse behind.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

RareAcumen posted:

I like how weapon effects make people scream themselves to death in Borderlands. Fire weapons make them flail around screaming, shock weapons make them seize before falling over, corrosive ones melt them like they're you dying in Dark Souls not even leaving a corpse behind.

Shin Megami Tensei IV pulls something similar off with sprites. Kill an enemy with fire magic, they burn away, cast ice magic, they turn to ice before shattering, use a gun, they are filled with bloody holes before disappearing, use non-elemental magic and they just disintegrate. :black101:

Also from SMTIV: your protagonists come from a society that's basically stuck in the feudal era, but you visit a post-apocalyptic city soon enough. When you find "artifacts", which just means various pieces of modern junk, you can bring them to a trader who will appraise and buy them for decent money. That's not a small thing, that's a game mechanic. But all of those items have their own short descriptions, written from the point of view of your backwater protagonists. An SD card? "It looks like it might be a dragon scale." :allears:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Aithon posted:

Shin Megami Tensei IV pulls something similar off with sprites. Kill an enemy with fire magic, they burn away, cast ice magic, they turn to ice before shattering, use a gun, they are filled with bloody holes before disappearing, use non-elemental magic and they just disintegrate. :black101:

Oh cool, I didn't know that! I could never get into SMT games because I was never able to rent or borrow them myself so I could never figure out how to play them. I just generally found myself overwhelmed trying to play them myself since iunno what I should be fusing or what level I should be at now. v:v:v So that's really cool. Still hoping someone LPs the first Devil Survivor.

Aithon posted:

Also from SMTIV: your protagonists come from a society that's basically stuck in the feudal era, but you visit a post-apocalyptic city soon enough. When you find "artifacts", which just means various pieces of modern junk, you can bring them to a trader who will appraise and buy them for decent money. That's not a small thing, that's a game mechanic. But all of those items have their own short descriptions, written from the point of view of your backwater protagonists. An SD card? "It looks like it might be a dragon scale." :allears:

And this sounds really neat. I've kinda wanted to play a game of older history people interacting with technology beyond their time ever since Lords of Shadow 2 dropped that ball.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Resident Evil 4: Krauser's model has grenades on his belt - the same flash and frag grenades you'll be using, and in fact when you fight him those are the two kinds he'll throw.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Greatbacon posted:

"Jesus Conrad tie your loving shoe laces"

"Isn't this what engineers are for?"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
OG Mother: Never underestimate the power of buffs, gently caress. The Defense Up Beta move more than doubles your defense, it goes up like 100 points for Ninten, 60 for Ana and 80 for Lloyd. More than makes up for the poor balance in the latter half of the game.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Hydrocodone posted:

And so many more. I quote the Chinese bulldozer unit from C&C: Generals often enough that it annoys my friends.

A very good plan, general!

China will grow larger.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

StandardVC10 posted:

Resident Evil 4: Krauser's model has grenades on his belt - the same flash and frag grenades you'll be using, and in fact when you fight him those are the two kinds he'll throw.

I'm doing my own replay of RE4 at the moment and I never noticed that at one point you run into a ganado wearing Leon's jacket from the beginning of the game that he loses.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Aithon posted:

This is the same thing I loved about Pikmin 2. When you find something as simple as a battery, Captain Olimar would come up with some crazy bullshit explanation as to what it was and the ship would try to market it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Just Offscreen posted:

A very good plan, general!

China will grow larger.

Please, I just want some shoes.

Not a little thing but C&C Generals caused a divorce.
My sister was dating this guy and he and I would play Generals together a lot. The voice acting was pretty horrendous and the lines were... not culturally sensitive (America vs. China vs. Fake Al-Qaeda).
He would giggle every time a Chinese peasant would beg for shoes or water or whatever and would repeat the lines over and over.
In addition to being a man-baby, his incessant repetition of the lines (especially in public) coupled with his bad attempt at the bad accent caused them to divorce.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Inzombiac posted:

My sister was dating... caused them to divorce.

That's not what a divorce is, jack.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

RareAcumen posted:

And this sounds really neat. I've kinda wanted to play a game of older history people interacting with technology beyond their time ever since Lords of Shadow 2 dropped that ball.

This but in any media. Like, the TV show Sleepy Hollow does a bit of it, and it's done really well where Ichabod isn't dumb, he just doesn't know what stuff is, and I could have watched an entire season of him figuring out the modern world.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Sleeveless posted:

I'm doing my own replay of RE4 at the moment and I never noticed that at one point you run into a ganado wearing Leon's jacket from the beginning of the game that he loses.

You can examine the guy after you kill him and Ada will comment on it. You can't pick it up and give it back to Leon, though.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Age of Decadence is set in a world based very much on the fall of the Western Roman Empire, but is actually in a futuristic society post-apocalypse. The majority of the setting is people whacking each other with gladii and spears while wearing bronze armor, but every now and then you'll find an artifact from before the apocalypse and the game pretty much discusses them in terms other fantasy games use to describe magic or religious artifacts, or else the characters just straight up have no idea what it is--I just recently started a quest where I got caught up in a fight between two treasure hunters over a suit of armor they discovered so heavy that it took a whole team to carry it out of the ruins, and they all wondered at how strong the warriors of the old empire must have been to wear it; no one ever used the words "power armor" but...

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Avenging_Mikon posted:

That's not what a divorce is, jack.

Sorry, had a brain lapse.
He was annoying with it a bit but cranked it up to 11 after they got married.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

graybook posted:

Animal petting was a great feature in the Assassin's Creed series

Except for the fact that its really easy to accidentally kill them instead.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Alhazred posted:

Except for the fact that its really easy to accidentally kill them instead.

Again let me reiterate the fact that animal petting was the greatest feature rear end-creed ever had as I accidentally target and kill a cat while I get shot to death by firing squad.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Inzombiac posted:

Please, I just want some shoes.

One of my favorite little things from that game is that the expansion added an upgrade for those units that finally gave them shoes.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
A bit late, but hearing the overly excited terrorist screaming "AK-47s for everyone!" was my favorite thing from Generals. God I wish they'd make a new one.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
After 19 years, finally you actually inject stimpaks in Fallout 4. :kimchi:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

packetmantis posted:

After 19 years, finally you actually inject stimpaks in Fallout 4. :kimchi:

Your character roid-raging when you inject Psycho is my favorite part of the new drug stuff. ":byodood: loving KILL!!!"

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Your character roid-raging when you inject Psycho is my favorite part of the new drug stuff. ":byodood: loving KILL!!!"

Or the alternate voice clip for the male player which is just :byodood: "RAAAAGGGRHGHRH!!" it kind of sounds like Homer Simpson and it always makes me laugh.

On the other hand (and I think it's been mentioned in this thread in the past) but the female voice acting for Psycho use is kind of a bummer. One of them is okay, it's like :byodame: "RAAAAAH, BRING IT!" but the other one sounds soooo dumb, like the actress was just messing around. I think the post in this thread likened her to imitating a dinosaur roar during playtime with children and that stuck with me because it's dead on. It doesn't even sound loud!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Don Gato posted:

A bit late, but hearing the overly excited terrorist screaming "AK-47s for everyone!" was my favorite thing from Generals. God I wish they'd make a new one.

I think my favorite thing was how the terrorist faction had upgrades to imbue a ton of their weapons with anthrax, which is totally a thing middle-eastern terrorists use, right? Anthrax in this case being a green liquid that could be upgraded to a blue liquid. They had tanks that sprayed huge streams of it and could load it into their scud missiles.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

The Moon Monster posted:

I think my favorite thing was how the terrorist faction had upgrades to imbue a ton of their weapons with anthrax, which is totally a thing middle-eastern terrorists use, right? Anthrax in this case being a green liquid that could be upgraded to a blue liquid. They had tanks that sprayed huge streams of it and could load it into their scud missiles.

Melt! everything must melt!

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Suicide Truck Bomber: "Watch out for bumps!"

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Just Offscreen posted:

Melt! everything must melt!

SCORCHED EARTH!

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Beastie posted:

Suicide Truck Bomber: "Watch out for bumps!"

"Not responsible for damaged goods!"

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

I've been saying this but people still go on about those loving tumblrs and their lovely meme games that suck and don't live up to the hype like Gone Home

Serious question: what hype?

That game was exactly what it claimed to be and did exactly what it claimed to do, yet whenever its name is mentioned I immediately hear a mysterious high pitched whining sound emitting from people who insist on calling it a "walking simulator" because somebody had the gall to make digital entertainment that doesn't have guns and conveniently placed yet vault-over-able cover.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

aardwolf posted:

That game was exactly what it claimed to be and did exactly what it claimed to do, yet whenever its name is mentioned I immediately hear a mysterious high pitched whining sound emitting from people who insist on calling it a "walking simulator" because somebody had the gall to make digital entertainment that doesn't have guns and conveniently placed yet vault-over-able cover.

It had a spooky empty house and people immediately assumed that meant it was a horror game, for absolutely no reason mind you, and got mad that they devs "mislead" them.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

The Moon Monster posted:

well i mean the whole GLA thing kinda had to be sort-of terroristy but not actually accurate, for fairly obvious reasons. which is why they had their main base in Kazahkstan

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Nuebot posted:

It had a spooky empty house and people immediately assumed that meant it was a horror game, for absolutely no reason mind you, and got mad that they devs "mislead" them.

Ah. Now that I factor in "posturing teenage boys upset that their friends can view their Steam profile and know that they played a game about personal relationships and sexuality" a lot of the backlash against the game suddenly makes sense. Thank you.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

aardwolf posted:

Word of mouth on that game was weirdly misleading

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

aardwolf posted:

Ah. Now that I factor in "posturing teenage boys upset that their friends can view their Steam profile and know that they played a game about personal relationships and sexuality" a lot of the backlash against the game suddenly makes sense. Thank you.

Bingo. I'm not saying people can't think something's bad but that explains the backlash pretty succinctly.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

rodbeard posted:

Word of mouth on that game was weirdly misleading

And as far as I can remember, none of it came from the devs.
Spregy gamers can't handle not knowing exactly what they are getting and equate "surprise" with "betrayal".

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Gone Home was a good Myst-style adventure game. It was a ripoff as $20 but it's still fun.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

aardwolf posted:

aardwolf posted:

I'm fairly sure it got a lot of 10/10 reviews and lots of 'It's not a game!' rebuttals from people who didn't care for it.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I've never played it but saying "people who didn't like this game are just TOO IMMATURE" is really dumb.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sleeveless posted:

Gone Home was a good Myst-style adventure game. It was a ripoff as $20 but it's still fun.

About 20 years ago I went to a Wal-Mart and bought two PC games. One was Myst, and one was Extreme Paintbrawl 2. Myst was only slightly better, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Gone Home was really loving boring. An empty house you can explore. Whoo.

If that gets you hard as the cobra, you go do you, but doing the whole "little boys mock it because they aren't sophisticated!" Thing is about as bad as people slamming it for being 'a fake out' and stuff because they did no research.

The fact it opens on a stormy night and your alone in the house and you have to find out where your parents are and oh man is there a ghost? Can be ignored because none of those are indicative of a horror game at all, no sir, all who insult gone home are sexually insecure children, says I the big mature man what plays games about lesbian romances that are told entirely in resident evil notes