Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Burn From Within XR
Sorcery
Burn From Within Deals X Damage To Target Creature Or Player. If A Creature Is Dealt Damage This Way, It Loses Indestructible Until End Of Turn. If That Creature Would Die This Turn, Exile It Instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

Burn From Within XR
Sorcery
Burn From Within Deals X Damage To Target Creature Or Player. If A Creature Is Dealt Damage This Way, It Loses Indestructible Until End Of Turn. If That Creature Would Die This Turn, Exile It Instead.

Does anything even have indestructible right now? Ulamog doesn't count since I doubt you get to 11 mana and Avacyn isn't going to be around for a sorcery

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

A big flaming stink posted:

Does anything even have indestructible right now? Ulamog doesn't count since I doubt you get to 11 mana and Avacyn isn't going to be around for a sorcery

Avacyn can totally be around for a sorcery, gets flashed to block your dudes or whatever, then you set her on fire

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
hitting a creature with that Hokuto Shin Ken, making it say "hidebu"

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

A big flaming stink posted:

Disintegrate with "no regen" swapped for "no indestructible" really doesn't feel rare.

If it was Instant speed it could kill Gideon. And I guess Erebos's Titan could maybe be a thing, conceivably?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You can hit Ulamog for X=1 then kill it with Ruinous Path or something. Granted, you are probably not winning that game.

e: pretty sure Blaze effects are always rare now for limited reasons

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Entropic posted:

Disintegrate with "no regen" swapped for "no indestructible" really doesn't feel rare.

If it was Instant speed it could kill Gideon. And I guess Erebos's Titan could maybe be a thing, conceivably?

I am sure there will be better removal for both eroboss titan and gideon that doesn't require 6 mana.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Also the Abbey monster.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Sickening posted:

I am sure there will be better removal for both eroboss titan and gideon that doesn't require 6 mana.

Also it kills Gideon just fine at sorcery speed. Targets players!

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
Clearly foreshadowing for when Chandra and Emrakul show up in Eldritch Moon.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

You can hit Ulamog for X=1 then kill it with Ruinous Path or something. Granted, you are probably not winning that game.

e: pretty sure Blaze effects are always rare now for limited reasons

They should stop printing Blaze effects then

E: Or at least make them more effective than "This has Pillar of Flame's effect and removes an uncommon ability." It could at least be X+1.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Printing regular burn spells with a mediocre upside and upshifting their rarity has been a thing for a while now. Crater's Claws was a pretty big limited bomb though.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah is this card really any different from something like Banefire?

Crater's Claws does have a pretty real upside though, it was relevant in constructed for a while.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Craters' Claws is a pretty drat huge upside, really - there's a reason X spells tend not to be mana efficient. That's how you make a rare X spell.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

this card is actually Disintegrate in terms functionality for its time and, much like Disintegrate, it's not good

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Whenever Lightning Strike shows up again I don't expect it to be at common, either.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Kurtofan posted:

Burn From Within XR
Sorcery

I'm so glad Magic cards aren't formatted with the first letter of every word capitalized.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

Whenever Lightning Strike shows up again I don't expect it to be at common, either.

Come on, don't take the piss.

Blazes with upside have been rare since original ravnica block at least. The bitching about removal is getting insufferable.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
In these SCG Live events can you refuse to play on camera if they want you to or is it an auto loss?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

80s James Hetfield posted:

In these SCG Live events can you refuse to play on camera if they want you to or is it an auto loss?

you sign a media waver when enrolling in the event. I'm pretty sure being on camera if they want you is a condition of being in the event.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

jassi007 posted:

you sign a media waver when enrolling in the event. I'm pretty sure being on camera if they want you is a condition of being in the event.

They really need to change this policy, there are many legit reasons to want to play in these events and not want to ever be on camera.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

PleasantDirge posted:

They really need to change this policy, there are many legit reasons to want to play in these events and not want to ever be on camera.

I don't know why you'd play at a SCG main event if you had no desire to make it to the top tables, and there's zero chance they'd let you skip out in t8 even if they were okay with it during swiss.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Niton posted:

I don't know why you'd play at a SCG main event if you had no desire to make it to the top tables, and there's zero chance they'd let you skip out in t8 even if they were okay with it during swiss.
Because people enjoy playing at large events as a change of pace from local scenes, perhaps. I hear there are people who play wizard poker as a hobby instead of a job.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

PleasantDirge posted:

If you're all worried about being on camera you probably can't deal with the tournament environment well enough to have any success in it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

BJPaskoff posted:

I'm so glad Magic cards aren't formatted with the first letter of every word capitalized.

i just copy pasted this :shobon:

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Got my level 1 today! :woop:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

standard.deviant posted:

Because people enjoy playing at large events as a change of pace from local scenes, perhaps. I hear there are people who play wizard poker as a hobby instead of a job.

The best part about SCG tournaments is that they include the player profiles. I love the constant stream of Age: 30 Occupation: [wacky monkey cheese answer to mask my unemployment]

e: wait, it seems they don't do this anymore. :negative:

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 20, 2016

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

standard.deviant posted:

At this weekend's Indianapolis Open, in addition to the the on-camera Standard Open, you could also participate in:
  • an off-camera Modern Classic
  • an off-camera Legacy Classic
  • 4 Standard side events
  • 3 Modern side events
  • 3 Legacy side events
  • 2 2HG side events
  • 2 Sealed side events
  • Any number of on-demand Constructed, Draft or Commander queues

There's a lot to do at a large event that will keep you out of the spotlight - if you really don't want to be on camera, but absolutely refuse to settle for anything but the main event, i'd love to know why.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

PleasantDirge posted:

Just Daft Punk that poo poo. Wear a full head helmet.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

mcmagic posted:

If you're all worried about being on camera you probably can't deal with the tournament environment well enough to have any success in it.
This is true, it's also great since your friends from the LGS can make fun of you for choking terribly on camera.

Do they favour having pros on camera though, or is that just because they play well and/or are seeded highly? I don't watch magic at all, but I've gotten on camera 2/3 opens I've been to, and both times were against pros apparently?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

TheKingofSprings posted:

They should stop printing Blaze effects then

E: Or at least make them more effective than "This has Pillar of Flame's effect and removes an uncommon ability." It could at least be X+1.

X spells that can hit players have been at rare for a really long time.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Oh MTGO :shobon:

Almost would like to post without context but here.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

PleasantDirge posted:

Like?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I'm an infamous criminal

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Wanted for several felonies

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Lunsku posted:

Oh MTGO :shobon:

Almost would like to post without context but here.

Goblin token blocks Serum Visions might be my favorite MTGOism that I have seen

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

From my search the last Blaze effect printed below rare was actual Blaze in 10th Edition. Since then we've had Banefire, Crater's Claws, Demonfire, Devil's Play and Red Sun's Zenith at rare.

The last time we had Blaze with upside below rare was Disintegrate in 5th edition, around 20 years ago. Ghitu Fire was already at rare by Invasion.

e: actually my search missed Fireball which was in M12. Still they always seem to put "Blaze that's a bit harder to stop" at rare.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 20, 2016

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Wanted for several felonies

rabidsquid posted:

I'm an infamous criminal

Does SCG even run tourneys in Japan?

Also, you could still do commentary, what's the issue?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Glossophobia?
Witness Protection?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Count Bleck posted:

Witness Protection?

Makes sense, an environment as socially awkward and shy as a Magic event would be very conducive to a person in Witness Protection who's looking for something to do.

• Locked thread