Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

They play Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes every so often when they want to watch Karkat going over 9000 on the apeshit scale.
Somehow he always manages to forget that Terezi is blind, and she gleefully uses this as a chance to do the wrong thing and explode everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Ammat The Ankh posted:

They play cool poo poo like MAdden and CoD on the XBox One. :D

xbonebulge

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ammat The Ankh posted:

They play cool poo poo like MAdden and CoD on the XBox One. :D

gently caress that boring poo poo, they alchemize the games together and then play Call of Madden: Ballfighter.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Voxx posted:

xbonebulge

IT HAS THE WRONG KIND OF GRUBRAM, AND NOT ENOUGH OF IT.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cat Mattress posted:

Ballfighter.

So it takes the homoerotic subtext of both and makes it homoerotic supertext?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Who What Now posted:

So it takes the homoerotic subtext of both and makes it homoerotic supertext?

https://twitter.com/andrewhussie/status/546897072088420352

https://twitter.com/andrewhussie/status/591038036152098816

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

What happened on the April of 2015?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Zeruel posted:

That flash where, among other things, we learned that Dave and Karkat are dating.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Zeruel posted:

The Gay Singularity. Duh.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I was reading the comments of some youtube of the Cascade video, and found the following amazing exchange. The guy in question is discussing Jade flying the ship for 3 years to the post-scratch session. The bolding is mine.

:v: - Really Dumb Guy
:eng99: - Not Dumb Guy

:v:: in hindsight maybe they could have made the ship bigger so it didn't take 3 GODDAMN YEARS to get to the other side
:eng99:: The size of the ship dose not really matter because she can make any object go near light speed or less. She made it that size to fit all the people she wanted to on there, so no matter what it would still take the same time, they just would have had more space.
:v:: The size of the ship DOES matter, because it's the same reason you can easily outrun a bug. You're WAY bigger than it, so you cover more ground in less time. The same applies to the ship. It would cover the same amount of distance in less time.
:eng99:: If both the bug and human travel at light speed they'd travel parallel one another.
:v:: but a bigger ship would travel faster because the ship will always travel at light speed relative to its size. A bug's light speed may only be our speed of sound.
:eng99:: (a bunch of words patiently explaining that speed isn't relative to size)
:v:: Even then, the ship would travel faster because it has more thrust from bigger engines, and to them, it would seem as though they were going the speed of light.
:eng99:: The already are. The engines have no effect on their speed because the only thing that effects their speed is Jade, and they are already going as close to the speed of light as she can get them. The ship size has no factor in it.
:v:: Read back to your first comment. You clearly stated that Jade cannot make any object go light speed **or less** (lol this is literally the exact opposite of what he said in his first comment)
:eng99:: (a bunch of words explaining how even using dumb guy's logic it would be more difficult to propel a larger ship)
:v:: but if you were to subtract the weight of countless Prospit soldiers, and shrink down the group as well as get rid of useless items onboard (any sort of manually fired weapons NOT integrated into the ship), it makes more sense.

The bolded part is one of the funniest dumb things I've seen someone say on the internet. It reminds me of that guy on those bodybuilding forums who kept trying to stubbornly argue that if he worked out every other day it would average out to 4 days a week or whatever. Some people are just completely unwilling to concede in an argument.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I see what he's getting at. Jade just needs to expand it from the back and shrink it from the front.

Perfectly logical.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I think the following is what got your dumb guy confused.
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005558
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/scratch.php?s=6&p=005933
Exactly one yard at Hussie scale, three light-years at the ship's scale.
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=006191

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

hussie is not a scientist and does not know how light speed works, everything was written for plot convenience

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Physics in general as we know it only really applies in a really, really handwavey way to homestuck and Jade's shrinkydink powers break even handwavey physical explanations of things if you do anything more than glance at it and go "oh yeah she shrank it."

Like I'm pretty sure that Homestuck's universe isn't even a Euclidean space with Jade doing her thing.

Magres fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 25, 2016

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
The Furthest Ring is literally an entire area of non euclidean space, with broken physics laws, and SBURB violates the second law of Thermodynamics on Earth, let lone in the Medium/other universes.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Our universe probably isn't an euclidean space.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Keiya posted:

Our universe probably isn't an euclidean space.

It's not. You can make a triangle on Earth with three ninety-degree corners by putting two of the points on the Equator and one on a pole.

Ia͘!̛ ̧Ia҉!͡ :cthulhu:

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

That's just being on the surface of a sphere. That sphere can be in 3d euclidean space still... and from that point of view, that's not a triangle because the 'sides' curve weirdly.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

But that's exactly why it's non-Euclidean space; the surfaces of spheres use spherical geometry, not euclidean geometry. "Lines" aren't straight unbending lines, they're geodesics.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you''re a geodesic

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Spheres can exist in Euclidean spaces, but the surfaces of these spheres are not, themselves, Euclidean spaces.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wait poo poo you're the straight one

gently caress, i'm the geodesic

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Don't worry; according to math, I can't exist on Earth because it's too spherical.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Keiya posted:

That's just being on the surface of a sphere. That sphere can be in 3d euclidean space still... and from that point of view, that's not a triangle because the 'sides' curve weirdly.

As someone working on a math degree you people make me really sad.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Homestuck Thread: Collect nerd tears.

You harvest the NERD TEARS in your TEA CUP.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

Homestuck Thread: Collect nerd tears.

You harvest the NERD TEARS in your TEA CUP.

Motherfuckers don't know a hyperbolic triangle from a Lambert Quadralateral gonna come in here and talk about what is or isn't a triangle on a sphere.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

This is exactly how I feel as a psych degree holder any time some one brings up the MBTI.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Instead of being sad, why don't you explain this to us, so we can learn and improve as people.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I can't wait for Homestuck to be definitely finished in just 9 days.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Tunicate posted:

I see what he's getting at. Jade just needs to expand it from the back and shrink it from the front.

Perfectly logical.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I can't wait for Homestuck to be definitely finished in just 9 days.

Too clever by half. 3.5 out of 5 hats.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

Instead of being sad, why don't you explain this to us, so we can learn and improve as people.

Yeah I'm really interested. I've got the physics background to ramble on about how and why Jade in particular crushes relativity horribly, but I really don't speak abstract math terribly well.

Actually what the gently caress is the difference between a metric space and a euclidean space, in particular? I know just enough to talk metric spaces (I took a dynamical systems theory class this past winter and I had to crash course myself on really basic topology to limp my way through it), but I have no idea what the difference between a metric space and a euclidean space is other than knowing that all euclidean spaces are all metric spaces.

To revise what I said earlier, what I actually meant is that I don't think reality in homestuck, even ignoring the outer ring, is even a metric space. Jade's poo poo throws any idea of having a stable way to measure distance completely out the window.

Magres fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Mar 26, 2016

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Magres posted:

Actually what the gently caress is the difference between a metric space and a euclidean space, in particular? I know just enough to talk metric spaces (I took a dynamical systems theory class this past winter and I had to crash course myself on really basic topology to limp my way through it), but I have no idea what the difference between a metric space and a euclidean space is other than knowing that all euclidean spaces are all metric spaces.

A Euclidean space follows specific rules, laid out by Euclid.

- A straight line may be drawn from any one point to any other point (any 2 points determine a unique line).
- A finite straight line may be produced to any length in a straight line.
- A circle may be described with any centre at any distance from that centre.
- All right angles are equal.
- If a straight line meets two other straight lines, so as to make the two interior angles on one side of it together less than two right angles, the other straight lines will meet if produced on that side on which the angles are less than two right angles.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Perfectly logical.

That is literally the stupid FTL drive from Bill the Galactic Hero.

Bloater Drive
The standard ways of circumventing relativity in 1950s and 1960s science fiction were hyperspace, subspace and spacewarp. Harrison's contribution was the "Bloater Drive". This enlarges the gaps between the atoms of the ship until it spans the distance to the destination, whereupon the atoms are moved back together again, reconstituting the ship at its previous size but in the new location. An occasional side-effect is that the occupants see a planet drifting, in miniature, through the hull.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Plom Bar posted:

This is exactly how I feel as a psych degree holder any time some one brings up the MBTI.

Other than that it's bullshit? Or does it actually have a purpose that's just been abused into a complete lack of recognition?

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

whowhatwhere posted:

Other than that it's bullshit? Or does it actually have a purpose that's just been abused into a complete lack of recognition?

Literally the first thing my Personality Theory prof told us after going over the syllabus was "The Myers Briggs is bullshit"

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Just reading the intro on the Wikipedia page for it should be enough to know it doesn't bring more insight into someone's personality than one of those "what Pokémon/Game of Throne character/Starbucks beverage are you?" pop quiz you see on the Internet.

quote:

Jung's theory of psychological types was not based on controlled scientific studies[8] but, instead, on subjective clinical observation, introspection and anecdote—methods regarded as inconclusive in the modern field of scientific psychology.[8]

Jung's typology theories postulated a sequence of four cognitive functions (thinking, feeling, sensation, and intuition), each having one of two polar orientations (extraversion or introversion), giving a total of eight dominant functions. The MBTI is based on these eight hypothetical functions, although with some differences in expression from Jung's model (see Differences from Jung below). However, neither the Myers–Briggs nor the Jungian models offer any empirical evidence to support the existence, sequence, orientation, or manifestation of these claimed functions.[8]

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Motherfuckers don't know a hyperbolic triangle from a Lambert Quadralateral gonna come in here and talk about what is or isn't a triangle on a sphere.

Chicago-Lambeth Quadrilateral. (Sad Episcopalian)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

Euclidean Geometry, and non-Euclidean geometry, are not terms to be used to describe how alien/nonsensical a space is. Years of Lovecraft rip-offs have ground the meaning of a simple mathematical construct to dust.

So a Geometry is a location or stretch of some amount of space, the points in that space, and the rules that govern what is or isn't a line in that plane or what you can do or say about said lines. Generally speaking there are a set of Postulates that are the default rules of just about every geometry. There's 7 dealing with points and lines (The Existence Postulate, The Half-plane Postulate, etc.) and 2 dealing with angles (One saying each angle exists and the number is unique and positive and another saying you can split an angle into two angles using a point on the interior of the angle.)

Now we can talk about Parallelism. So finding parallel lines is actually pretty hard with just the default rules, so we have a set of postulates to determine the what the rules are for that, and I'm gonna briefly talk about just three: Euclidean, Hyperbolic, and Elliptic. Things get a bit more complicated if you wanna talk about full 3D space but theses exist in that setting as well so let's keep it simple.

Euclid's Parallel postulate states if you have a line l and a point p not on that line l then there is exactly 1 line through p that runs parallel to l. (Common example: 2-D Coordinate plane). If and only if this holds for your geometry you're in Euclidean space.

Elliptic Parallel postulate states if you if you have a line l and a point p not on that line l then there are 0 lines through p that runs parallel to l. This poo poo is pretty rad and makes some weird conceptual shapes and models that are fun to study and think about.

For Hyperbolic geometry if you have a line l and a point p not on that line l then there are at least 2 lines through p that runs parallel to l. I've heard it stated as infinitely many but my professors have always taught to never say more than you're absolutely sure about when stating theorems or postulate. Spheres, like the one we live on, right now, are in this non-Euclidean geometry, mostly (This can be proven by that whole 2 right angle triangle thing from earlier). The Euclidean rules are a good approximation of lines, points, and angles on small triangles on the surface but not technically 100% accurate.

The universe is filled with non-Euclidean space, it's perfectly normal, you're in it right now. It's not a catch all term for magical broken space, it's a real rear end Mathematical Concept with lots of rules and discussion and all kinds of poo poo in it.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Chicago-Lambeth Quadrilateral. (Sad Episcopalian)

This is a good post.

VVVV That's all that needs to be said.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
The reason is that Jade is Magic.