Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Trump is calling out camera operators at his rallies now: http://theconservativetreehouse.com...show-the-crowd/

If that operator hadn't done as Trump said, things might have gotten real ugly for him. The article also has a real anti-intellectual bent to it, which I thought was kind of weird, especially with the trump lion image at the bottom. Is this the groundwork for a future third party?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RusteJuxx
Jul 14, 2001

College Slice
^^Nice. 45 seconds, lower right: "I'm on camera!? Time to throw up my Nazi salute."

Narciss posted:

I'm as anti-Trump (or 'Drumpf', as I like to call him :twisted:) as they come, but this video is pretty powerful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeJ-iv3MOTo
Holy poo poo. The comments are horrifying (and this is furthered by some of them having clear Nazi emblems in their images). I think I took away a very different message from that video than intended. I guess I'm just too liberal for even a very well made piece of propaganda to make me slightly consider rejecting refugees and muslims. If anything, it made me consider what we might be missing in helping to integrate communities as we can't help that there will always be some level of dissent.

RusteJuxx fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 20, 2016

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I thought the Constitution doesn't actually say how many justices there should be?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
There needs to be at least 6 for a quorum, but otherwise, no. Legally there is nothing wrong with how the court is now.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

gradenko_2000 posted:

I thought the Constitution doesn't actually say how many justices there should be?

Judiciary Act of 1789 sets six as the minimum. It is not part of the Constitution though.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Obama should just recess appoint another seven, including himself, just out of spite and then when he's asked to justify it he can say it's okay because he has such big hands, since that's de rigeuer for political rhetoric these days.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

RusteJuxx posted:

^^Nice. 45 seconds, lower right: "I'm on camera!? Time to throw up my Nazi salute."

Holy poo poo. The comments are horrifying (and this is furthered by some of them having clear Nazi emblems in their images). I think I took away a very different message from that video than intended. I guess I'm just too liberal for even a very well made piece of propaganda to make me slightly consider rejecting refugees and muslims. If anything, it made me consider what we might be missing in helping to integrate communities as we can't help that there will always be some level of dissent.

Showing images of ISIS as an argument to not take in Syrian refugees is like showing footage of Hitler and the SS as an argument to not take in Jewish refugees.

Of course, in both cases I'm pretty sure the intended audience of that video wouldn't need much convincing anyway.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

clockworkjoe posted:

Trump is calling out camera operators at his rallies now: http://theconservativetreehouse.com...show-the-crowd/

If that operator hadn't done as Trump said, things might have gotten real ugly for him. The article also has a real anti-intellectual bent to it, which I thought was kind of weird, especially with the trump lion image at the bottom. Is this the groundwork for a future third party?

Jesus. He loves abusing underlings that are not even his underlings.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
any member of the media who covers a trump rally gets what they deserve

you want ratings, you fuckin' got 'em, all the way to the hospital

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Full Battle Rattle posted:

any member of the media who covers a trump rally gets what they deserve

you want ratings, you fuckin' got 'em, all the way to the hospital

At least one psycho in the press pen is probably contemplating this non-ironically.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DemeaninDemon posted:

Judiciary Act of 1789 sets six as the minimum. It is not part of the Constitution though.
Why would they set an even number as the minimum? That seems stupid.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

clockworkjoe posted:

especially with the trump lion image at the bottom. Is this the groundwork for a future third party?
like the official motto of Trump, "Hear Me Roar!"

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Josh Lyman posted:

Why would they set an even number as the minimum? That seems stupid.

In case of ties, lower court's holding is considered correct, but not precedent. It's actually pretty ok for routine stuff.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

fishmech posted:

In case of ties, lower court's holding is considered correct, but not precedent. It's actually pretty ok for routine stuff.

So in this case, that would be the liberal circuit court that's jam-packed with Obama appointees, right?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Xanderkish posted:

So in this case, that would be the liberal circuit court that's jam-packed with Obama appointees, right?

Depends which circuit the original case fell within

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Boon posted:

Depends which circuit the original case fell within

Which becomes an issue when theres a circuit split and the court can't agree which one is correct.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Sorry to derail Trump chat.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Xanderkish posted:

Some of them are liberal, others are conservative as hell. There's currently 11 different ones:

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

clockworkjoe posted:

This article is from December so it's not like this is the latest shocking development in the escalating threats against camera operators, if it did actually represent that they'd have started getting food and punches and poo poo thrown at them weeks ago.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Dam how do michelles shoes even stay on

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Also yes there is a mandatory break in congressional sessions but recess appointments still need confirmation eventually.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Dam how do michelles shoes even stay on
The front goes over her toes and the back goes over her heel. Pretty simple, really.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

Ghetto Prince posted:

This picture is great I like how the blue matches

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Ghetto Prince posted:

This is pretty drat huge and I'm proud of it.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I'm fairly certain that even though they're swearing in senators and what not, Congress is still in session.

Congress has to take a recess and gavel in a new Congress. Even if it's only for a minute, they are officially in recess.

There's nothing stopping Obama from recess appointing a hundred officials and claim that they were all done over the course of that one minute.

But for the SCOTUS it wouldn't work well, since recess appointments need confirmation to receive the full appointment, and the court's term is October to June, so a justice would come in mid term and only be there for 6 months.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

fishmech posted:

Some of them are liberal, others are conservative as hell. There's currently 11 different ones:

Huh. I don't know enough about the U.S. judicial system, apparently.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So are Republicans all saying that they will close off relations with Cuba again ASAP if they get the Presidency?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So are Republicans all saying that they will close off relations with Cuba again ASAP if they get the Presidency?

Let's be realistic. They will tear up the deal and begin bombing immediately.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Considering that Martin O'Malley in a few weeks proposed more solutions that weren't just destroying things than the entire GOP field combined has done so far

Yeah, any deal is getting ripped right up even if they can't give a single reason why other than "obummer"

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Who the gently caress under the age of literally 70 gives a gently caress about sticking it to Cuba anymore? I know that's the Republican constituency but FFS. The Dems should run ads of all the cool cheap tropical vacation spots in Cuba and say how the Republicans want to stop you from going there.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The current Republican consensus, according to what was said in the debates, is that they would reverse all the Cuba stuff, put tougher sanctions on Cuba, and then wait until democratic revolution happens. Giving any relief to the Cuban people will empower the Castros and reward repression.

Reminder: Rubio's answer to "What about the millions of Cubans who live in poverty as a result of these policies? Don't Cubans want economic relief?" was "No, Cubans want freedom."

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Who the gently caress under the age of literally 70 gives a gently caress about sticking it to Cuba anymore? I know that's the Republican constituency but FFS. The Dems should run ads of all the cool cheap tropical vacation spots in Cuba and say how the Republicans want to stop you from going there.
I was gonna say "We've been keeping Cubans poor for decades for no reason other than pure spite" would be a good argument then I remembered who that spite comes from.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

"We will brutally sanction them until they overthrow their leadership, denounce their healthcare system in favor of the US model, and allow us to do to them what we are doing to Puerto Rico"

Who cares if they're nominally communist at this point? It's not like we aren't super cozy with a lot of the worst theocracies and dictators around the world

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The current Republican consensus, according to what was said in the debates, is that they would reverse all the Cuba stuff, put tougher sanctions on Cuba, and then wait until democratic revolution happens. Giving any relief to the Cuban people will empower the Castros and reward repression.

It's been 55 years but I'm sure it's gonna happen any day now! In other news I've heard that Chaing Kai-Shek is just about ready to retake the mainland.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Nonsense posted:

Probably because there will be virtually no pickups in November.
NC districts are in play because of a court ordered redistricting that was upheld by a 4-4 SCOTUS vote. Scalia's death has a direct effect on this election. If he was alive the old districts would have been in play for the election and gone into effect for 2018. The primary for US House seats was delayed so we don't even know who will be running. As a personal aside, I live in District 5 and I don't know if Virginia Foxx will win because her district now has all of Forsyth County instead of just the whitest parts.

Here is the old map, huge from Wikipedia:

Here is the new map.

It may still lean GOP but at least the horribad gerrymandering is gone. Just look at old 12.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Kilroy posted:

So, while we're talking about downticket races: what happened to 2016 being a supposed bloodbath for the GOP in the Senate? Even in 2013 and esp after 2014 I heard a lot of talk about how 2016 was supposed to be the year where the Democrats regain a sweeping majority in the Senate, possibly even filibuster-proof, due to all those Tea Party wave assholes being up for re-election. What happened?

All of that was based on Dems not doing too bad in 2014, as opposed to doing almost as bad as was possible.

They should still take a few seats, but the massive GOP gains in '14 will make it difficult to regain the majority.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

fishmech posted:

Why is it that you have some courts covering a tiny amount of space and others responsible for like a third of the US?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Ghetto Prince posted:

What, are US Marines not good enough to hold the umbrella? There are Marines already on that island defending those walls that keep us safe, and Obama keeps the glory for himself.

OBAMAAAAA! :bahgawd:

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

UrbicaMortis posted:

Why is it that you have some courts covering a tiny amount of space and others responsible for like a third of the US?

People aren't evenly distributed across the U.S.

e: They're not really evenly distributed across the circuits either, but it's not quite as bad as it looks.

The Larch fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Can we stop saying the sky is falling when loving Utah says they might go blue if Trump is the GOP nom.

quote:

According to a new Deseret News/KSL poll, if Donald Trump becomes the GOP nominee, the voters of Utah would opt for a Democratic candidate for the first time in over 50 years. Poll respondents said they would support either Hillary Clinton or Bernie Sanders over Trump, though Clinton was only two points ahead of Trump in the poll, falling within the margin of error (as opposed to the 11 points Sanders has over Trump). As many as 16 percent of respondents said they would skip the election, altogether, if Trump was the nominee.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/03/poll-utah-would-support-democrat-over-trump.html

• Locked thread