Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah the reddit app will sometimes tell me what's in the newest patch. I never read it but it's there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I'm really digging the new dark, not oled, theme. Thanks! :tipshat:

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
White text on OLED theme is nice. Thanks!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I like the oled theme, but wish it were easier to tell at a glance what posts I've already read. Could they get some distinguishing feature, likea red box around them or something?

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Thanks, Sereri. Changed to arc.oled.css, displays as desired.

Also, new OLED theme is everything I would have wanted.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Two things:

1) I just got a new G4 and sometimes when I load threads (this one just now, for example), it's just black until I refresh, then it all loads up like I've already read it. Really only a minor annoyance but thought I'd mention it.

2) On my old phone, I was able to put this app on my home screen and have it shortcut to 'Bookmarks'. Was that an Awful app feature, or was that something that the Nova launcher did? I'm no longer using the Nova launcher, because I think it caused my phone to freeze somewhat frequently.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

2) On my old phone, I was able to put this app on my home screen and have it shortcut to 'Bookmarks'. Was that an Awful app feature, or was that something that the Nova launcher did? I'm no longer using the Nova launcher, because I think it caused my phone to freeze somewhat frequently.

The shortcut is dependent upon Awful. The launcher needs to have the ability to add shortcuts, which Nova can do. Dunno about other launchers.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

hooah posted:

The shortcut is dependent upon Awful. The launcher needs to have the ability to add shortcuts, which Nova can do. Dunno about other launchers.

Ah ok. drat, I actually loved that feature, but I think I'll be sticking with stock this time around.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

baka kaba posted:

Like I said, if there's a webm playing on the page it won't update with the new page's contents until the video finishes (or reaches the end of its loop). There might be some other stuff going on that causes a block too - I had something where a YouTube video wouldn't play, but then it did, and I had to wait for that. It needs testing though

But there's definitely a reproducible issue like this, and it's nothing to do with slow loading or anything. I know it looks like it's hanging but it isn't, and if you can wait it'll update eventually. Most of the webms people post are basically short clips anyway, so they don't take long to loop

Yeah it sucks and maybe sometimes it's quicker to just close and reopen the app, but I just want people to know what's going on and how you can deal with it, until it's fixed

So yeah, my issue with threads not loading is definitely this. It doesn't always seem to "load" after the webm finishes playing though. It's kind of awkward, hope you guys can come up with a fix for it.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Ah ok. drat, I actually loved that feature, but I think I'll be sticking with stock this time around.

Look in the widgets section. Bookmarks is in there.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Nth Doctor posted:

Look in the widgets section. Bookmarks is in there.

Oh man, thanks! :toot:

Any idea why threads load up blank until I refresh (my first issue)?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Oh man, thanks! :toot:

Any idea why threads load up blank until I refresh (my first issue)?

No idea, but I've seen similar behavior. Typically it's when I task-switch away from the app while a thread is loaded and then jump back to it. It may have to do with the cached thread failing to load after the app was paged out of memory, but I've never looked at the code so this is just armchair theorizing.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Been browsing a lot of webm heavy threads and its not got stuck on a page yet, good work on the update

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
I don't know why but the app stopped working for me. It couldn't load/refresh pages this morning and after reinstalling it's not letting me log in. Using 3.2.2.0 on a galaxy s4 if that matters. Works fine through the phone's browser though. Any ideas?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Humphrey Vasel posted:

I don't know why but the app stopped working for me. It couldn't load/refresh pages this morning and after reinstalling it's not letting me log in. Using 3.2.2.0 on a galaxy s4 if that matters. Works fine through the phone's browser though. Any ideas?

ZDR put the forums behind cloudflare yesterday/this morning. Maybe check with a browser if it's blocking something.

If not, clear the app data.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Humphrey Vasel posted:

I think it has to do with Android System Webview. Uninstall the latest updates for that app and see if it helps. It did for me!

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.

Two things:

1) I just got a new G4 and sometimes when I load threads (this one just now, for example), it's just black until I refresh, then it all loads up like I've already read it. Really only a minor annoyance but thought I'd mention it.

I actually came here to post the same thing, same phone as well (and upgraded to android marshmallow).

I have never found it to happen on clicking new threads, but only when I return to a bookmarked (or maybe all "half read" threads) where I am starting midway through a page.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

7lip posted:

I actually came here to post the same thing, same phone as well (and upgraded to android marshmallow).

I have never found it to happen on clicking new threads, but only when I return to a bookmarked (or maybe all "half read" threads) where I am starting midway through a page.

I've found a way to trigger it is, yes, what you've stated, but also making sure that I've cleared off Awful from my open apps list (or whatever that's called). Opening it up 'fresh' seems to cause this, as it never happens when it's on the recently opened/active list.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I just had all the avatars and thread tags disappear. Moved from one page to another and poof they were gone. I've tried clearing the app cache and restarting the app but that didn't fix it.

Nexus 5x on 6.0.1

Unrelated: Is anyone looking into the Webview loading bug? Seems to be happening to more and more people now but doesn't seem to have been acknowledged?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Same also it's unbookmarking every thread I look at.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Posting from Android Chrome because of the same issues. Came over here to test whether it was the app or something with SA, but everything looks normal in Chrome. Bookmarks appear intact, though.

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!

Red_Fred posted:

I just had all the avatars and thread tags disappear. Moved from one page to another and poof they were gone. I've tried clearing the app cache and restarting the app but that didn't fix it.

Nexus 5x on 6.0.1

Unrelated: Is anyone looking into the Webview loading bug? Seems to be happening to more and more people now but doesn't seem to have been acknowledged?

Same. Samsung Galaxy 6 on 5.1.1

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Adding to the oddities, I'm noticing a lack of ability to edit my posts.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Red_Fred posted:

Nexus 5x on 6.0.1

Same. Motorola X Pure on uh whatever the latest version of Android is there.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Also have the no thread tags issue, no images at all actually.

HTC one m8

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!
So, it spontaneously stopped being borked. Wooo

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I can't believe it's not borked! Thanks awful app, that was a speedy fix

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
zen death robot turned on something that wrecked poo poo, then turned it off. The iOS app blew up too, much more spectacularly in fact.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Red_Fred posted:

I'll push out the fix (well it's more of a alleviation) when I get back from work. It could've been out already but it's another case of "Oh and THAT would be nice too. Oh and THAT would be nice too..."

pokeyman posted:

zen death robot turned on something that wrecked poo poo, then turned it off. The iOS app blew up too, much more spectacularly in fact.

drat you Awful.app people, outdoing us at every turn :argh:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Our scraper is a big baby

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
OK so at some point I think I've clicked something that made gifs not play in the app at all and I would like them to instead of it opening chrome - help?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Budgie posted:

OK so at some point I think I've clicked something that made gifs not play in the app at all and I would like them to instead of it opening chrome - help?

Is Always Open Links turned on in the Posts settings menu?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Sereri posted:

I'll push out the fix (well it's more of a alleviation) when I get back from work. It could've been out already but it's another case of "Oh and THAT would be nice too. Oh and THAT would be nice too..."

drat you Awful.app people, outdoing us at every turn :argh:

You are truly a perfect goon. :tipshat:

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

baka kaba posted:

Is Always Open Links turned on in the Posts settings menu?

That was it, cheers!

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

3.2.3.0 finally going out.
- In-app changelog.
- Dark theme split into dark and Oled
- New action menu for the post menu (You know, those three dots. No the other ones, the ones on every post).
- Theming changes here and there
- Made some changes to combat the webm performance issues brought by the webview update. More info in the in-app changelog
- Updated some libraries for a tiny bit more performance
- Fix for empty threadview when returning to the app
- Some backend fixes
- HTTPS link handling

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Sereri posted:

3.2.3.0 finally going out.
- In-app changelog.
- Dark theme split into dark and Oled
- New action menu for the post menu (You know, those three dots. No the other ones, the ones on every post).
- Theming changes here and there
- Made some changes to combat the webm performance issues brought by the webview update. More info in the in-app changelog
- Updated some libraries for a tiny bit more performance
- Some backend fixes
- HTTPS link handling

The new OLED theme and action menu are really nice, thank you friend :)

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Sereri posted:

You're the best and I want to buy you a beer.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Yeah awesome work! New themes look great.

However thread scrolling is quite laggy now. Bookmark scrolling is smooth as butter though. Is there a setting I should look at? I'm on a Nexus 5x.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

You mean scrolling through a list of threads (a forum instead of a bookmarks list)? Or actually reading a thread?

If you mean reading one then it works completely differently to the list, it has to render all the thread stuff and with all the embedded videos and tweets these days, it's a bit heavier going. You could try disabling some of that fancy stuff if it's too slow right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
the new OLED theme is awesome but it doesn't really show if a post has been read before or not? :ohdear: