Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

Bast Relief posted:

I appreciate this post. I just figured I'd peace out since I guess it was too much to talk about what the gently caress is going on in ads in the marketing thread. I also don't get what's so bad about "effort posting". When others put consideration into their responses I enjoy it more than snarky poo poo posting.

People don't like seeing other people be shocked and disturbed by things that they consider normal and harmless. It makes them think that maybe they're the weird ones, and nobody wants to hear that something they "cleared" a long time ago is bizarre and wrong, whether that's true or not. The natural reflex is to discredit - easy to do on this forum, you can usually safely assume someone has some social/mental problem with them that necessitates their posting here. (It's up to you, the reader, how you want to burn me with that awesome setup.) It's also easier to write someone off as being crazy the longer and more enthusiastic their posts are, but even a completely crazy post is way more interesting than some no-name goon knocking down some other goon for acting in a manner they perceived as too goony.

bongwizzard posted:

You guys watch way too much loving tv if ads get to you this much.

It's the other way around - if you're not constantly inoculated to ads they appear more and more loving nuts.

Cobweb Heart has a new favorite as of 22:16 on Mar 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Cobweb Heart posted:

It's the other way around - if you're not constantly inoculated to ads they appear more and more loving nuts.
I was gonna say - it's either too much or not enough.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
There is definitely a conversation to be had about the ubiquity of marketing and how it shapes the world around us in negative ways, but you guys are using the same rhetoric my roommate used to use when he wanted me to watch Loose Change.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Instant Sunrise posted:

I know when people think of Apple marketing, they think of the Switch or the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" ads. But during the 1990's Apple was really dire straits, and were reduced to using late-night infomercials to try and market their computers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdqe5fu8A30

It didn't go so well.

Microsoft was not necessarily much better, when you consider this Video Guide to Windows 95 starring superstars Jennifer Anniston and Matthew Perry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGYcNcFhctc

In theory it's just an information video about Windows 95, but it's really more of a long infomercial. I watched and enjoyed this as a kid because I was a terrible nerd. But that's fine because coming from Windows 3.1, Windows 95 was :krad:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I pirated Windows 95 from a dialup BBS and all it cost me was 24 3.5" floppies.

:smug:

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

Depressio111117 posted:

There is definitely a conversation to be had about the ubiquity of marketing and how it shapes the world around us in negative ways, but you guys are using the same rhetoric my roommate used to use when he wanted me to watch Loose Change.

Bush did New Coke

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Cobweb Heart posted:

Bush did New Coke

New Coke didn't get released until a decade after Bush left the Air National Guard.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Karma Monkey posted:

JACK FM here does that poo poo. I like the music, but they have tons of smug breaks between sets talking about how great they are that they don't have commercials - but the breaks are nearly as often and long as if they were commercials. :psyduck:
I think JACK FM is on the same model as DOUG FM (was?) here in MI, and your using the word "smug" specifically makes me think of the station voiceover guy, Colter Rule, who had whatever the voice version of backpfeifengesicht is (backpfeifenstimme?). Holy poo poo, was he insufferable. Pure :smug: emanating from my speakers. I can't see how smug assholery is a good marketing tactic; I know it got me onto other stations and eventually away from radio altogether.

He does/did the Visine commercials, too. Not Ben Stein, but the disembodied "official" voice.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Hirayuki posted:

I think JACK FM is on the same model as DOUG FM (was?) here in MI, and your using the word "smug" specifically makes me think of the station voiceover guy, Colter Rule, who had whatever the voice version of backpfeifengesicht is (backpfeifenstimme?). Holy poo poo, was he insufferable. Pure :smug: emanating from my speakers. I can't see how smug assholery is a good marketing tactic; I know it got me onto other stations and eventually away from radio altogether.

He does/did the Visine commercials, too. Not Ben Stein, but the disembodied "official" voice.

Doug FM is annoying and bad, but the worst is that station that constantly goes "All the best hits without the rap (no rap, NO RAP, Nooooooo raaaaaaaaap)." Is that still around? They used to play Hey Ya which made it even funnier.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Hirayuki posted:

According to the JACK FM wiki page :suicide: - the voice of JACK FM for the U.S. is Howard Cogan. Listening to his clips on YT, I think that's him. Here's a little taste of JACK FM's marketing. It's approximately 1/20th as annoying as the radio promos. They have edgy voiceovers about how they're too hip to do traffic reports, weather reports, sponsored content, etc. but then they do the traffic reports and weather reports and have sponsored content, so I don't know WTF is going on there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5OSLs69B3E

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
British government decides to use an internet poll to name a new $300,000,000 research vessel.

The current #1 choice (by a long way) is RRS Boaty McBoatface.

http://www.newstalk.com/reader/47.301/68291/0/

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Phanatic posted:

British government decides to use an internet poll to name a new $300,000,000 research vessel.

You'd think governments would stop doing this sort of thing. I guarantee you they'll go back on it and piss a bunch of people off.

Here in my city they asked the citizens to vote for the name for a new government building. And the winning name was the Harry Baals Government Center. He was a real mayor of my city, and they just said "Welp, we're just gonna name it whatever the gently caress we want anyway"

Jimmy Kimmel got a ton of material out of it anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJvJKRKXALY

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

Enos Shenk posted:

You'd think governments would stop doing this sort of thing. I guarantee you they'll go back on it and piss a bunch of people off.

Here in my city they asked the citizens to vote for the name for a new government building. And the winning name was the Harry Baals Government Center. He was a real mayor of my city, and they just said "Welp, we're just gonna name it whatever the gently caress we want anyway"

Jimmy Kimmel got a ton of material out of it anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJvJKRKXALY

That reminded me of when Austin, TX asked the Internet to name their garbage department.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Jesus, second place had 19 votes? I figured something in a city that big would get more votes then that, even though it was overall unimportant.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Phanatic posted:

I don't know, I kind of like that name.

Granted I would have picked Weedlord Bonerhitler but what do I know?

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Phanatic posted:

Couldn't they come up with a more clever joke name than that? Blanky McBlankBlank is the laziest non-joke there is.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

grittyreboot posted:

Couldn't they come up with a more clever joke name than that? Blanky McBlankBlank is the laziest non-joke there is.

I think that adds to it, personally.
if it was a genuinely funny name it might roll back over into sounding good.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Somebody tell the british they're supposed to be clever and witty

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
It's a pretty brilliant marketing move because they're getting a ton of press coverage about their new boat and all it cost was setting up a poll that they have zero obligation to actually listen to in the end.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Carbon Thief posted:

That reminded me of when Austin, TX asked the Internet to name their garbage department.

To his credit, Fred Durst thought that one was hilarious.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Bargearse posted:

To his credit, Fred Durst thought that one was hilarious.

I don't think he's clever enough to realize that the joke was entirely at his expense.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Full Battle Rattle posted:

It's dry humor. For a boat.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Krispy Kareem posted:

It's dry humor. For a boat.

So, dry-dock humour?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Full Battle Rattle posted:

"Unsinkable II"

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Instant Sunrise posted:

I know when people think of Apple marketing, they think of the Switch or the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" ads. But during the 1990's Apple was really dire straits, and were reduced to using late-night infomercials to try and market their computers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdqe5fu8A30

It didn't go so well.

I remember one of the early IPhones using the song "You, Me, and the Bourgeoisie"

Or how about Monopoly turning "It's not about the money" into "It's all about the money"?

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Phanatic posted:

From here: http://www.iflscience.com/environment/boaty-mcboatface-could-be-name-antarctic-research-ship-after-online-vote

quote:

The winner will be announced next month, after voting finishes on April 16, 2016. However, don’t get your hopes up just yet, as the NERC says: “An expert panel will review all suggestions before making the final decision.” That said, the NERC already seems to be jumping on the McBoatface bandwagon by tweeting #BoatyMcBoatface, along with their hashtag #NameOurShip.

So they're happy with it, which is kind of cool

I like this campaign (which I don't think will be succesfull though): https://www.change.org/p/iupac-join...ett-s-discworld

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I don't think he's clever enough to realize that the joke was entirely at his expense.

He's rich enough to not care.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
http://www.af.mil/News/ArticleDisplay/tabid/223/Article/673784/air-force-reveals-b-21-long-range-strike-bomber.aspx

Planey McPlaneface and Bomby McBombface also make an appearance.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Enola LGBT. And name the first bomb Morbidly Obese Manchild.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
"Millions of College Scholarships"

"The Radicalizer"

"Theft of Public Funds"

There's just so many good and apt names, it's hard to choose. :(

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
"The Economy" could be fun for headlines:

ECONOMY CRASHES AND BURNS DUE TO SPENDING CUTS

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Lightning III, Exceeded deadline, Valkyrie II, Hanger Queen. There are many apt names for a bomber that isn't exactly useful in today's warfare environment. Especially when the B-2 is still flying.

I do like "the economy" though.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The B-2 is still flying, but they have to plan these things out decades in advance, so it makes sense to have its successor already planned.

It doesn't make sense that we use these to bomb brown people without radar. They have great range and payload, but all their stealth technology is pretty much wasted. I'd like to see some massive Spruce Goose looking monster that holds 4k pounds of bombs and maybe costs 40 million per plane rather than the half-billion these new ones are going to cost.

Maybe design the aerodynamics so it sounds like a fart every time the bomb bay doors open.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/03/24/microsofts-teen-girl-ai-turns-into-a-hitler-loving-sex-robot-wit/

Microsoft strikes again.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

They grow up so fast! *sheds a tear*

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Certainly developed the political opinions of a Teen Girl. Good job, Microsoft.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The bot is still smarter than Microsoft execs.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Why are we getting crappy at Microsoft instead of the people that taught the robot to be Hitler-loving sex robot? :shrug:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Because if you don't know better than to let the internet shape your Twitter bot in 2016 you are a blind goddamn moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Krispy Kareem posted:

The B-2 is still flying, but they have to plan these things out decades in advance, so it makes sense to have its successor already planned.

It doesn't make sense that we use these to bomb brown people without radar. They have great range and payload, but all their stealth technology is pretty much wasted. I'd like to see some massive Spruce Goose looking monster that holds 4k pounds of bombs and maybe costs 40 million per plane rather than the half-billion these new ones are going to cost.

You don't design the next 50 years of capability based around the adversaries you're fighting today, right now. That's what Gates did when he cut the F-22 buy in favor of the F-35s and seriously compromised us in the event of a real war against a near-peer.

The B-2 and B-1 have actually been very useful aircraft for close air support. Yeah, the stealth technology is pretty much wasted against them, but the stealth technology would be just as wasted sitting in a hangar, you might as well use their range, payload, and precision delivery.