Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
Wouldn't it be just picking a direction and seeing how far away from there you could get in 6 hours?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

You kid, but Claresholm is literally only about 30 minutes from the east base of the Rockies with some of the prettiest scenery Alberta has to offer within striking distance and decent gravel roads to get there. You can connect quite easily with the Forestry Trunk Road and end up in either the Crowsnest Pass or north to Kanasakis from there.

Buying the cheap-rear end Accord brake pads tomorrow, I'll report back if it's the price per pad or what but I have no reason to doubt it's a front set.

E: Clarseholm is a lovely little town though and the only good to come out of there are a couple friends of mine and shifty-rear end Klein Auto Sales.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Claresholm also has a very interesting yard full of old C10s that seems to shift its makeup and vague location over the years.

If you pick up my new travelogue, Deep Inside Alberta, you'll get to read about the time I was kidnapped and forced to chew through my own restraints to get out of a sticky situation in nearby idyllic Nanton.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Old Balls McGee posted:

Wouldn't it be just picking a direction and seeing how far away from there you could get in 6 hours?

Sounds good to me!

(there's supposed to be an image here - link: http://imgur.com/pzJc8al)

A few years ago my GF gave me a little mint tin with about a dozen postage-stamp-sized cards in it. On the little cards were directions like "turn left" or "drive for 2 hours"; the idea was a randomly-generated Sunday Drive. This takes advantage of Saskatchewan's grid roads, and should work as well in southern Alberta.

EDIT: heh "Picture Butte" heh

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

ExecuDork posted:

EDIT: heh "Picture Butte" heh
Nice people, strong winds, an unearthly covenant between two strangers who would meet once and then never again.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Nice people, strong winds, an unearthly covenant between two strangers who would meet once and then never again.
That's excellent poetry. It describes how you and I met - just once, on the legendary last day of the CSCC's access to the tertiary dirt-and-shrubbery dirt lot at the Speedway.
I had Tyra

You had the Authority to deny my entry. The tension was as palpable as the frozen ground.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Picture Butte has a continual smell of cow poo poo due to the feedlots in the area.

6 hours South of Claresholm you've got Yellowstone/Teton country. 6 hours west your are deep in the Kooteneys and literally the best hot springs and scenery Canada has to offer. North you are in poo poo hole of Alberta around Drayton and Edson and East the promised land of Saskatchewan if you are a Hutterite. Drake would vote for this

Do a shakedown of a couple big loops to Lethbridge, back to the Crowsnest Pass and back to Claresholm.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Claresholm is surrounded by fantastic back roads. The town itself is nothing spectacular.

Also I have fond memories of that dirt lot at race city as a kid, being dragged to a stock car race with zero interest in it but then being utterly enthralled watching from my dad's Tercel as a truck got stuck trying to take a shortcut up the hill. That was really ground zero for my interest in having tiny old hatchbacks on loose surfaces.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

ExecuDork posted:

That's excellent poetry. It describes how you and I met - just once, on the legendary last day of the CSCC's access to the tertiary dirt-and-shrubbery dirt lot at the Speedway.
I had Tyra

You had the Authority to deny my entry. The tension was as palpable as the frozen ground.

That was a good day even though you left halfway through and I got so much dirt stuck in the bead of my tire it was like driving a jackhammer on Deerfoot afterward.

Also I'm pretty sure I frostbit my balls.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

1500quidporsche posted:

Claresholm is surrounded by fantastic back roads. The town itself is nothing spectacular.

Also I have fond memories of that dirt lot at race city as a kid, being dragged to a stock car race with zero interest in it but then being utterly enthralled watching from my dad's Tercel as a truck got stuck trying to take a shortcut up the hill. That was really ground zero for my interest in having tiny old hatchbacks on loose surfaces.

Seriously, 533 or 520 from highway 2 over to 22 is some of my favorite road driving in the province. The way back east over either road is also great, coming out of the foothills and being able to see for what seems like hundreds of km is a pretty great feeling.

But the little valleys and hills are fantastic.

Hmm, there's a decent loop we could do from claresholm up to willow creek park. Come out around stavely. Camping is decent down there if we're doing a weekend road test/camp gear loadout check. Used to stay at Willow Creek all the time, the senior citizens who frequent the place party all night long.

Slung Blade fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 16, 2016

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Hell if you guys want I could get my TSD navigator to dig up a couple of roads from the old routebooks.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

You know what, a TSD in that area might not be a bad idea. Let's take this discussion to the proper thread.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

That'd be nice if you don't want them. I'm also looking for 13s and 14s since I have two sets of wheels not yet beshod.

Took a while to catch some daylight for the pictures:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1NYW_VA1vzPT2VtaEl3S01UUFE/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1NYW_VA1vzPTGNfN0dudTlieXc/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1NYW_VA1vzPYzhvYzc0QTR3MTg/view?usp=sharing

Goodyear Allegras

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

How old are they?

If SSS doesn't want them I'll buy them for the scirocco.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
The sidewall says 3607

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Nah I'll pass, thanks though :)

I'll have to find some 13s and 14s for the wheels I have.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 19, 2016

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Yeah that's a little too old for what I'm looking for, sorry man.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
No worries, I didn't realize there were that old till looking up the code.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Solid 20C today. Power-raked the yard, mowed up the grass, fertilized, watered, took out all of 2015 bedding plants, and even managed to wash the bike. All on March 20th. Trees are in bloom, ladybugs are ravenous, spiders are out, potato bugs flying around, you name it.

I think this summer is going to be something else.

E: Brake pad chat. Bought the cheapo set from Crappy, there were semi-metallic for the full front. But I didn't do them. What was the problem you ask? The Honda dealer which told the old man his brakes NEEDED TO BE DONE BADLY were at 50% and perfectly fine. Only issue? The same fucktards forgot to tighten one of the caliper mounting bolts from when they "checked" the pads and it was literally ready to fall out.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 21, 2016

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Another example of why the only person you can really trust with your 2000lb kinetic energy missile is yourself.

I can't believe that spring is here. Going to be paying the annual registration and insurance on the Moldwing tomorrow and start riding it this coming week.

I should take a trip down to Lethbridge one of these weekends.

In other news, I have procured a used working caster and installed it on the trolley, so there is one left that is now fully functional like the rest.
Someone please take it (for a case of beer) and get it out of my garage.

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
I don't think we made double digits here, but it was a hell of a nice day. Plan to motorcycle around as much as possible as I think I maybe put 500km on last year. I've been looking for something <$1000 to gently caress with and I found a beat up RD350. Might try to dicker the guy down, cause you gotta dicker.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Old Yamaha two strokes are a blast and easy to work on.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Old Balls McGee posted:

I don't think we made double digits here, but it was a hell of a nice day. Plan to motorcycle around as much as possible as I think I maybe put 500km on last year. I've been looking for something <$1000 to gently caress with and I found a beat up RD350. Might try to dicker the guy down, cause you gotta dicker.

RD's are awesome. Street 2strokes are so cool.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Just going to shamelessly show off my sweet YDS3 here:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

McTinkerson posted:

I can't believe that spring is here. Going to be paying the annual registration and insurance on the Moldwing tomorrow and start riding it this coming week.

I should take a trip down to Lethbridge one of these weekends.

Yep incredibly early this year. And yes you should and if you have the time and weather cooperates we could do a run to the pass or maybe even Kalispell. Put that little girl drake on the pillon too.

DrakeriderCa posted:

RD's are awesome. Street 2strokes are so cool.
Absolutely

8ender posted:

Just going to shamelessly show off my sweet YDS3 here:

:swoon:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

McTinkerson posted:

This is the first year I can remember where I haven't sat on renewing my registration til April/May.

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.
I got my baby out for a first ride of the season on Saturday. It was nice to wash the dust off of it finally.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Apparently being a somewhat ratty work truck doesn't stop crackheads from really wanting your vehicle.

~march 5th my truck was stolen. amazingly, the police caught the theives driving it around a few nights ago and i was able to get it back. Amazingly with no major body damage. Unfortunately they were smoking poo poo in it and the interior stinks like hell. They also pulled on whatever wires they could under the dash, so there's a pile of poo poo to fix in there too. I just don't feel like doing anything on it.

This is what i looked like when i got it back.

They pulled the loving hubcaps off, painted them, and put them back on. And why the gently caress did they paint the fuel door.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Paint carries its own inhalants, dude.

Gonna guess you didn't have comp on it? Should take the crackheads to small claims and see if you can get a paint job out of it plus waste a ton of your time on trailer-park assholes for absolutely no benefit.

Time to wire in a kill switch. I've heard how easy those things are to steal.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, while i'm rewiring stuff anyways, i'm going to put somes sort of back-up in here, probably wired to a loud alarm inside the cab too.

I doubt suing them would do any good. I can't imagine they would have any money left considering the insane amount of drug paraphernalia left in the truck. Considering they had it for 2 weeks, give or take, i can't imagine how they could have done anything else but sit in the truck doing drugs.

I'm surprised they wasted the paint spraying the truck instead of huffing it, but it's not like they sanded anything. I was able to get basically all of it off with lacquer thinner. The only place it doesn't seem to want to come off is the grille.

The police called me from the side of the road when they found it and i nearly beat the tow truck to their yard, so despite them putting 400km on it, they didn't get very far. The tow truck guy said he had never seen that much damage to the ignition, they drilled in probably 50 times before they were able to pull the whole cylinder out. After that, it's just a screw driver in there, so if you're not a crackhead and have proper tools, it would just be a matter of pushing in the cylinder release pin on the bottom, forcing the cylinder out with a slide hammer, and sticking a screw driver in there and turning it.

You couldn't just hotwire it like most vehicles because the rack the ignition cylinder acts on also disables the steering lock and shifter lockout, but all in all it's a pretty simple mechanism.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 25, 2016

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That's too bad man :(

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I am not a well man :(

The Leduc Canadian Tire has a bunch of 155/80/13 iPikes on sale for about $10 each and uh things got out of hand.

Send help

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Oh man that is hilarious.

What do you have that runs those?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
The Civic takes a 175/70/13 so I'm going to assume that these will stretch to fit.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
I doubt you'd have issues. looks like you have enough for a street set plus one for rallycross :getin:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm just the tiniest bit concerned (but mostly excited) about 155s on a 90s Civic that has a turbo engine waiting to be put in it.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Honestly I'd have done the same for $10 tires. I'd have the most ballin trailer ever

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

I'm just the tiniest bit concerned (but mostly excited) about 155s on a 90s Civic that has a turbo engine waiting to be put in it.

They're snow tires, so "250whp" is going to liquefy 13 inch Koreans pretty fast regardless of the section width.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

I am not a well man :(
The Leduc Canadian Tire has a bunch of 155/80/13 iPikes on sale for about $10 each and uh things got out of hand.

Send help

They're snow tires, so "250whp" is going to liquefy 13 inch Koreans pretty fast regardless of the section width.
A Del Sol is about #3 on my "Summer Funcar" list at the moment, and I believe if it fits your little Honda it'd fit on a Del Sol with minimal persuasion.

And I 100% intend to drive a convertible all winter long, so little snowflake/mountain Koreans would be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So I purchased some 15" rimmzz for the utv today. There is a time attack event, from the bottom to the top of a ski resort near invermere.

Not sure if I want to run a sand paddle on the rear and a studded light weight car tire on the front, or maybe just skip it and run the factory all terrains.

Hard to decide when you have no clue what the snow will be like.