Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pram
Jun 10, 2001
epic lulz :

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3766598

tldr lowtax a spineless bitch who got strung along by an entry level network janitor for half a decade +

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
radium would post dumb libertarian poo poo as the sa support robot account in d&d and would ban people who called his juvenile tripe dumb

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

radium owned

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

this forum has higher availability and greater uptime given the user load than software/services multibillion dollar companies crap out

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

thanks team crayfish

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
radium owned lowtax pretty good. this is the kind of consultancy fuckery you would expect in a big budget government software project where they spend billions and get nothing in return.

the lesson is if you don't know how to manage a software project, don't manage a software project because you are going to get taken.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
please don't victim shame lowtax, he just wants the best for us

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
cool thanks for the chatlogs

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

mishaq posted:

this forum has higher availability and greater uptime given the user load than software/services multibillion dollar companies crap out

ya from my perspective the forums have run great since 2002 or so when i started reading them. only a few hiccups few and far between. oh yeah and search but i guess that was an early mysql text indexing thing.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
thanks team barry :cheers:

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
vbulletin is now on version 5 why is SA still on 2?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
because this code is the wizards precious gold and cannot be parted with

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

actually this dead gay forum runs SAVB-v2.1.24 :smug:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
starting over with commercial forum software: insanity. STUPID. IDIOT. IMPOSSIBLE.
goon approved plan of cobbling together another piece of poo poo around garbage schema: 555 manbabies!!

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Has Richard considered Discourse?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Suspicious posted:

radium would post dumb libertarian poo poo as the sa support robot account in d&d and would ban people who called his juvenile tripe dumb

this confused the gently caress out of me early on

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

eric posted:

vbulletin is now on version 5 why is SA still on 2?

the yospos theme switcher is incompatble

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

(9:21 AM) Lowtax: you honestly think I get mad when you work on stuff?
(9:21 AM) Radium: it seems like it, I have an icq plugin that detects anger and that thing is off the hook right now
(9:22 AM) Radium: what the hell... my icq history is blank

lol

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i believe with 80% of my full soul that radium wasnt actually that bad. he was probs average for his time and he probs wasnt given any direction on anythibg. people these days just bitch qnd bitxh about stuff but they dont really do all that much better. the majority of code written today will want to be thrown out by the coder of tomorrow bc maintenece isnt fun; writting something new is fun

pram
Jun 10, 2001
wow honored to have joel spolsky amongst us

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
iyeah im whoever that guy is

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

fart simpson posted:

(9:21 AM) Lowtax: you honestly think I get mad when you work on stuff?
(9:21 AM) Radium: it seems like it, I have an icq plugin that detects anger and that thing is off the hook right now
(9:22 AM) Radium: what the hell... my icq history is blank

lol

:wow:

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I forget, was forums search better or worse under radium?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
this assumes there has ever been a time not "under radium"

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

El Mero Mero posted:

I forget, was forums search better or worse under radium?
worse interface, better results

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
(9:32 AM) Radium: see, Id love to just keep a blog about maintenance, but the reason I dont is when you list specifics it generates criticism and Ive been doing so great avoiding that :P
(9:32 AM) Radium: Im 5000X happier since I stopped posting
(9:33 AM) Lowtax: who cares about criticism, as long as you post anonymous and don't confront or address the people trying to troll, it's not a big deal

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
so after it was all over how much did lowtax end up paying, total?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Hed posted:

this confused the gently caress out of me early on

at first i thought it was lowtax making fun of d&d since it had been a libertarian circle jerk for a while, but nope, it was radium earnestly posting his babby creed

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

(8:30 AM) Lowtax: I know that, which is why all I'm asking is for you to inform me when you're making a change to something that the forum users will notice and ask me about that's all
(8:31 AM) Radium: I cant, thats crazy... youre not on 24/7, there shouldnt be debug messages on the live forums
(8:34 AM) Lowtax: I don't understand why this is so impossible or even difficult, there's maybe one visual change a week that people on the forums notice, I can't even remember the last change before the red debug message I'm just talking about major poo poo that people will notice and inquire about, like a debug message or something not functioning properly, I'm not talking about little things that you're working on that aren't noticable, just major things people will see on the forums and say "this is different than how things were, why is this happening?"
(8:34 AM) Radium: thats what Im trying to tell you, I cant do what youre asking, it doesnt make sense

lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

the forums were hosted in a data center in louisiana and they went down during a big storm related power outage

why the gently caress would anyone build a data center in louisiana

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

jony ive aces posted:

cool thanks for the chatlogs

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

pram posted:

555 manbabies!!

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
i dont understand why lowtax doesn't jst buy an uypgrade for the forums software

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

George posted:

i dont understand why lowtax doesn't jst buy an uypgrade for the forums software
it's a pain in the rear end to fix radium's weird broken poo poo but it would also be a pain in the rear end to migrate his weird working poo poo like the leper colony

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

George posted:

then read the thread ya dingus

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Sham bam bamina! posted:

it's a pain in the rear end to fix radium's weird broken poo poo but it would also be a pain in the rear end to migrate his weird working poo poo like the leper colony
lowtax paid thousands of dollars to save this heap when the db fell over

couldn't you just scrape the forums/archives and get that moved over to a modern piece of software

most of SA's features are available as plugins or are built into modern board software

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
modern BB software is universally pretty terrible so I'm kinda glad SA has stayed the same

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Fabricated posted:

lowtax paid thousands of dollars to save this heap when the db fell over

couldn't you just scrape the forums/archives and get that moved over to a modern piece of software

most of SA's features are available as plugins or are built into modern board software

this is the same loving discussion that comes up every time

The answer is effectively no, stfu

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Sham bam bamina! posted:

(9:33 AM) Lowtax: who cares about criticism, as long as you post anonymous and don't load thousands of copies of a webpage you're mad at in hidden iframes, it's not a big deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

mishaq posted:

the forums were hosted in a data center in louisiana and they went down during a big storm related power outage

why the gently caress would anyone build a data center in louisiana

by "big storm" of course you refer to Hurricane Katrina

and yeah i remember the running blog someone was doing as he tried to keep the generators running at that data center, and reporting on what he was seeing on the streets below

• Locked thread