Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Dr. Faustus posted:

This week's Ghost League is a big improvement over this last week (basically, heavy SUVs). This week is A-Class AWD. This is especially cool for me because I love A Class and I also built a ton of AWD B Class cars for the Ghost League a few weeks ago. I can just upgrade them.

There is, however, one car I wanted to add, something with a replica livery.

So for A Class Ghost League week I present

The 1983 Howdy Sport Quattro:

...and I get to run my 037 Stradale! Woo!

:v:

That's a good lookin' paint, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Very kind of you, sir. Thank you.
I must admit, however, that I only contributed the shapes. Others did the work of the logos and I just downloaded the best ones I could find. There were already many pages of Audi logos online, but I was surprised to find the Belga logos. Saved me a ton of time.

I just wish Turn10 would make more of many cars paintable. The whole back end of this particular car is solid grey and there's no room for anything. I like it when there's a paintable strip on the top of a windshield, too.

VV drat, EF, thanks! Every "replica livery" I attempt starts with a GIS on the year/make/model. Lots of times you find Forza dudes have already done them, but sometimes you find one that seems either not done, or very rare. I mean, you see lots of Martini and lots of Gulf liveries out there, and they're all really, really iconic and cool. When I see the different color schemes I wonder if they represent anything in particular, for example. Thanks again, you guys. :)

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 20, 2016

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Meh, any automaton can cobble together logo shapes with patience, but most liveries are bad and that one is good. Really fits the era/car.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Shumagorath posted:

How does league progression work? I'm placing steadily better but I keep bouncing between Enthusiast and Grassroots.

Your Xbox True Skill score. Just keep placing higher than the bottom half and you should find yourself moved up at some point. They're recalculated weekly.

quote:

It would be nice to make it to Professional in the contact league to see if people drive with some goddamn respect.

:lol: There are always assholes. Latest trend seems to be "hiding" their car within the ghosts of cars remaining on the starting grid.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

geeves posted:

Latest trend seems to be "hiding" their car within the ghosts of cars remaining on the starting grid.
HOLY poo poo that is deplorable.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

HOLY poo poo that is deplorable.

The guy that did this would just drive slowly around. Did this at Nurburgring and Watkins Glen. There was a couple yesterday, but I didn't save the replays.

My POV:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=179zuZFa658

The Victim:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKYKZcO35oE

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I won't lie: If someone is particularly bad I'll find a way to wreck them if it takes me the rest of the week. Someone hit me so hard Monday in Endurance Prototype league my car did a minor gymnastics routine, and I managed to PIT him on Indy in the last race before the league closed.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I occasionally wreck people intentionally, but only when I feel they deserve it. Mostly if they keep bumping me instead of passing and I have to keep letting off the gas to keep from wrecking. Sometimes I let them pass and spin them around.

Also, I occasionally can't help myself and I bump somebody into the pit entrance. I know it's bad :(

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Grid artifacts? Like the game leaves ghost cars on the grid?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

I didn't know what else to call them. But yeah. Ghost cars on the grid.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Shumagorath posted:

I won't lie: If someone is particularly bad I'll find a way to wreck them if it takes me the rest of the week. Someone hit me so hard Monday in Endurance Prototype league my car did a minor gymnastics routine, and I managed to PIT him on Indy in the last race before the league closed.
I've done this twice. Once on Saturday, the Lambo challenge. A guy in front of me threw out his anchor and I hit him pretty hard from behind. I felt really bad about it, and I turned my mic on and said a million times how sorry I was. The lobby was small, and I tried English and Spanish. I spent the rest of the race chasing him but not attempting to pass. That was on Laguna. I had many opportunities to hit him again but I never did.

Next race, Monza short, he was chasing me and aiming for me every single time I broke for a corner. He missed me over and over and I got on the mic and said, "Chill out, it was an accident, I have apologized." Finally, on the last lap, he got me in a corner and crushed me there. I finished, but last and just barely (damage is off, collisions on).

The next race was Road Atlanta full, and I started right behind him on the grid. I slammed that dude into next week on turn one and slammed him into that wall about three times before I drove off. He chased me but ran into a tire wall all on his own. Shortly after, he quit the race and I haven't seen him again.

The other time was a guy who everyone was complaining about. He was just ramming his way through the field. He tapped me a few times but I was wary and not thrown off. Then, on the longest straight when he was right behind me and we were nearing top speed, I slammed on the brakes and ruined his act. He went nuts ramming me and everyone after that, but soon quit. The rest of the lobby actually thanked me.

poo poo like this is why I am enjoying the Ghost Leagues so much. I don't like the way it makes me feel when I drive for revenge.

P.S. - Tonight was awesome in AWD A Ghosts. That Audi on Lime Rock got me my first win (feels good, man) and the Ford Cobra got me a couple other podiums. I wish I could race all night but Monday morning at 08:30 I report to work to begin training. I'm already late for bed, now.

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, people who join the race but have connection problems leave their cars as ghosts on their starting positions. In larger races there are usually one or two. We get used to just driving through them. You can hide your solid car inside it and get the result you saw in the video. Only works with collisions on, of course.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Looks like those Formula E races we did in GTCC may pay off after all.

http://news.xbox.com/2016/03/18/forza-motorsport-6-new-esports-tournaments/

I'll see you goons in London.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I like how MLG is doing a racing tournament based on Forza 6 instead of an actual sim. That's like having the World Series be a whiffle ball tournament.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I dont see why forza 6 is any more fake than Iracing or Asetto corsa or whatever the sim spergs are using this month.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I dont see why forza 6 is any more fake than Iracing or Asetto corsa or whatever the sim spergs are using this month.

It's still both of those games. Forza 6 really did do a lot of great stuff with its physics. It's very realistic and absolutely a sim.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
The biggest thing forza could do to improve itself isnt so much a revamped physics system, but a better sense of speed. First they need to include wind noise, a dull buffeting/wooshing noise to let you know you're doing 90 instead of 40. Second slaving the camera to the horizon instead of slaving it to the body would make weight transfer and road imperfection more noticeable, Its a lot easier to notice the body moving vs the whole rest of the "world".

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

MattD1zzl3 posted:

The biggest thing forza could do to improve itself isnt so much a revamped physics system, but a better sense of speed. First they need to include wind noise, a dull buffeting/wooshing noise to let you know you're doing 90 instead of 40. Second slaving the camera to the horizon instead of slaving it to the body would make weight transfer and road imperfection more noticeable, Its a lot easier to notice the body moving vs the whole rest of the "world".

Drive Sebring in hood cam. You jump all over the place.

Cojawfee posted:

I like how MLG is doing a racing tournament based on Forza 6 instead of an actual sim. That's like having the World Series be a whiffle ball tournament.

Maybe appealing to a wider audience? Marketing wise it makes sense.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You'd think the game would feel super fast because of the super wide FOV.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

geeves posted:

Maybe appealing to a wider audience? Marketing wise it makes sense.

Also I think Forza is the only game that has a Formula E car in it officially.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I drive in chase cam like a huge butt so I can't really complain. :kiddo:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I drive nothing but cockpit but backed off no HUD when I saw the inside of some of the prototype cars.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Because you don't get to spend hundreds of dollars to play Forza 6, that ruins the sim experience.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Shumagorath posted:

I drive nothing but cockpit but backed off no HUD when I saw the inside of some of the prototype cars.

No HUD is the way to go.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

I said come in! posted:

No HUD is the way to go.

I forgot to mention the utter impossibility of seeing the brake line under a dozen ghost cars and how useful the track map becomes when that happens.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Stop depending on the crutch that is the braking line and you won't need to be able to see it anymore.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 23, 2016

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Hood view crew :respek:

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

GutBomb posted:

Stop depending on the crutch that is the breaking line and you won't need to be able to see it anymore.

Yea i dont really see how its fun. It doesnt feel so much like driving as responding to colored light, guitar hero style. Its the quest pointer of forza.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
When I drive cars ranging from D to X in a single night it gets really hard to know my stopping distances. It also helps me judge tunes i.e. whether I really need race tires.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Those black marks on the ground are, you guessed it, the breaking braking zone. Figure out how fast you're going and use them appropriately.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Ether Frenzy posted:

breaking braking

It was autocorrect you fiend.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Shumagorath posted:

When I drive cars ranging from D to X in a single night it gets really hard to know my stopping distances. It also helps me judge tunes i.e. whether I really need race tires.

Have you tried doing some practice laps with the line off to familiarise yourself with the track layout? I mean yeah you may fly off the track a couple times but you'll realise how conservative and also wrong in places the braking line is.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I find it's pretty liberal in spots but I know when yellow is only a polite suggestion and red is far too late.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I'm the same way in that I use braking line on the really aero-dependent cars. It's definitely my weakest area because I never know when I can "trust" the aero to do it's thing.

The Formula Ford trained me pretty well and I'm better at it, but I still can't drive the F1 car or most of the LeMans cars at any sort of competitive pace without the line on - I brake way too early and gently caress the whole thing up.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
To me, the best use of the braking line is knowing where the other drivers are likely to be braking since I assume most people have it on. Helps me avoid wrecks.

Also,

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
No way, its all about the cockpit mosh-pit. (especially if they made those tweaks i mentioned)

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

To me, the best use of the braking line is knowing where the other drivers are likely to be braking since I assume most people have it on. Helps me avoid wrecks.

Also,

Or knowing where they will be when they force themselves into the line blindly without considering someone is next to them.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I use the braking line if I'm setting lap times on Le Mans or the Daytona infield because those tracks require bullet cars; however I am going to try and set fast times on all the tracks in the hardcore leaderboards in Forza 6, so no brake line even on those tracks for me. Other than that, the nearly 20 years I've been playing these kinds of games (Gran Turismo 1 crew represent) has mostly trained me to know when to brake just by feel, if that makes any sense. I don't use brake marker signs or landmarks or anything, I just kinda look ahead to the corner itself and slow down to about what I figure will work for the turn and that usually is good enough for 95% of cars and tracks.

Also far chase cam, bitches.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I bought an elite controller because video game cars

edit: trip report on the elite. it's cool. definitely not worth 150 + tax. I traded in an old controller to knock 25 bucks off the price. the paddles are legit cool for forza and the pad itself feels very nice to use. it's most assuredly a luxury item and not a necessity for ~*~gaming~*~

bloops fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 23, 2016

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I tried using my Elite for paddle shifting but ended up switching back to face buttons because I don't need to both downshift and check my blind spot at the same time. Still the best controller ever made and it came with my console so that's by far the best bundle. Forza 6 has been 99% of my XBox gaming time since I own a PC but the Elite also works with Windows 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Shumagorath posted:

I tried using my Elite for paddle shifting but ended up switching back to face buttons because I don't need to both downshift and check my blind spot at the same time. Still the best controller ever made and it came with my console so that's by far the best bundle. Forza 6 has been 99% of my XBox gaming time since I own a PC but the Elite also works with Windows 10.

Switch layouts and then set up the Elite. Up shift is left paddle and downshift is right paddle. Takes a bit of practice but is totally cool and fun.

• Locked thread