Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Totally NOT GAY Johhny T cruising for some HAM :heysexy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm still impressed that Alonso was able to walk away from that crash. What happened to the efforts to get rid of gravel traps due to their car-flipping abilities?

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Was either party judged to be at fault or has it been deemed a bit tacky to play the blame game? Gutierrez sounded apologetic in an interview but then anyone would be in that situation

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
FIA said no action and both drivers felt that it was a racing incident, with GUT saying he braked slightly earlier than he would normally do because of the way the car was handling, and Nando saying he should have anticipated this and given him a bit more space.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Sounds fair. It was pretty clear Gutierrez wasn't trying to brake check Alonso and he didn't make any weird left or right movements or anything, and Alonso just picked the wrong moment to go on the outside. I kinda feel sorry for Gutierrez. His teammate parks it as a hero while he has to watch Alonso roll through the gravel at high speed and smack the wall.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Completely unrelated to the current rollercoaster ride of emotions, but having finished 1985 I need a new season to start. Options I'm currently considering are either of Piquet's first two championships or a post 90 season.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm still impressed that Alonso was able to walk away from that crash. What happened to the efforts to get rid of gravel traps due to their car-flipping abilities?

If there was no gravel he would have just gone full speed into the wall instead of being slowed down by the flips. All in all it would have been pretty hosed up either way

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Wasn't much in the way of flips though was it - the car dug in at the edge of the gravel and then was more or less airborne until it hit the wall. Scary stuff.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Wasn't much in the way of flips though was it - the car dug in at the edge of the gravel and then was more or less airborne until it hit the wall. Scary stuff.

True, but imagine him just going head on at mostly full speed instead.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I would think that crash would be another good argument in FAVOR of the halo things or something similar. Any time you roll and hit something it's just luck that it's not the driver's head catching the edge of an object.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Thanks Ants posted:

You may have seen the wrong angle, there was only one which showed the whole thing - dug in, flipped, then barrel-rolled a couple of times in mid air/off the gravel before smacking sideways into the wall.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I would think that crash would be another good argument in FAVOR of the halo things or something similar. Any time you roll and hit something it's just luck that it's not the driver's head catching the edge of an object.

Not really, they already have a great deal of protection and it's what saved nando today, they call it a roll hoop but it's not quite the right term. The airbox and raised areas, which this year were made higher, are designed to take the impact, protect the driver's head and make the car flip in a controlled/known way.

The argument against the halo has nothing to do with fans baying for driver's blood, but that it needs to be very carefully designed so that in the event of a crash like this they must know exactly how it will work with the existing roll hoop, that the structure is sound enough so that in the event like this it does not snap and senna the driver or trap them in the event of fire.

There was endless debate in the off season thread like this, and a great number of people said that the teams and FIA know what they are doing. The case for the prosecution would like to present qualifying, which was an idea put forward by Todt, Bernie, and Charlie, and voted in by the team principles as evidence that the current decision makers could not organise a piss up in a brewery.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
This halo will support Nando. Love ya buddy.

Great first race. Hoping for the same throughout the year in terms of close competition.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

learnincurve posted:

The case for the prosecution would like to present qualifying, which was an idea put forward by Todt, Bernie, and Charlie, and voted in by the team principles as evidence that the current decision makers could not organise a piss up in a brewery.

For what it's worth Toto and Horner said they voted for knockout qualifying because they were forced to decide between (a) reverse order grids, and (b) knockout qualifying.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

learnincurve posted:

I rather suspect a lot of the reason behind this in Bernie's head was to force the FOM to update their terrible timing programs and screens. Loved that new bottom bar that showed up when people were in the pits, so at least we have terrible quali to thank for that.

e: may not have been mentioned but it looks like the new program means lapped cars don't have to go all the way round the track and join the back of the pack before the safety car can come in.
Nope, they made K-Mag go around on his own when the race restarted.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

runoverbobby posted:

For what it's worth Toto and Horner said they voted for knockout qualifying because they were forced to decide between (a) reverse order grids, and (b) knockout qualifying.

yeah they were all put in that position

FIA sucks

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

learnincurve posted:

Not really, they already have a great deal of protection and it's what saved nando today, they call it a roll hoop but it's not quite the right term. The airbox and raised areas, which this year were made higher, are designed to take the impact, protect the driver's head and make the car flip in a controlled/known way.
Not that I would know about these things but the idea of "making the car flip in a known way" seems really dubious to me and even if you make it flip in a known way you don't know quite what it's going to hit or at what angle. What if it had rolled upside down in such a way that Our Fernando, Peace Be Upon Him, scraped his head sideways across a wall or armco or tire barrier? Or into a catch fence like Wheldon. Depending on the hit, that would seem to be potentially serious. The fact that the roll hoop is there only protects the driver if it hits a large perfectly flat object with no corners.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Haas woooo! Shame that's probably going to be the most entertaining race of the season.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

keevo posted:

Haas woooo! Shame that's probably going to be the most entertaining race of the season.

This season is going to be long as gently caress with 22 races, so I am sure there will be plenty of insanity for the whole year

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
We have to get Lewis invitations for every party and fashion show on Earth for this to be an interesting season.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

be nice wicka posted:

it's pretty dumb that the crash counts toward alonso's power unit allocation

Oh come on, you know this sport. If units destroyed in crashes didn't count against your allocation every team would be issuing instructions for drivers to send their cars into the wall as soon as anything went wrong.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

go3 posted:

not that i hate the current formula because i like it and think its really cool but the correct answer for F1 engines is "V10"
Diesel engines.

Quad Turbo V10 Diesels.

Also, I was quite liking the Channel 4 pre race chat, was nice to see DC and Wibbeh together again, and a fun podium. On that note, did Toto lock Lewis and Nico in a room and not let them out until they sorted their drama out?

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I think Lewis was just happy to place, because he wouldn't have been close without the red flag and Ferrari being stupid. Dude had everything fall his way

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

HJB posted:

Was either party judged to be at fault or has it been deemed a bit tacky to play the blame game? Gutierrez sounded apologetic in an interview but then anyone would be in that situation

his car went into like recharge mode and slowed down. if you watch the replay you can see the light on the back of his car start flashing just before the crash. no one's fault.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I just watched the race, was pretty surprised that it was pretty good. I don't think it means anything for the rest of the season unless both Hamilton and Nico keep bottling the start. I think Ferrari has better drivers but the Mercs still have better everything else.

I bet Wehrlein gets Manor points sometime this year he seems pretty fast.

be nice wicka posted:

his car went into like recharge mode and slowed down. if you watch the replay you can see the light on the back of his car start flashing just before the crash. no one's fault.

The Sky post show had a bit with car data that showed Gutierrez braking way earlier than Alonso in the corner which is what probably caused the wreck. I doubt it was anyone's fault either just one of those things.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

The poo poo drivers in the good cars will win more than the good drivers in the poo poo cars for the 3rd straight season

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

be nice wicka posted:

Erhh, he said himself that he braked a little earlier (due to reasons I forgot).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

He said it was handling weird or something

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Ferrari has always had really good starts over the last couple of years. But I'm curious to see if that lack of a double clutch hosed both Lewis and Nico.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Erhh, he said himself that he braked a little earlier (due to reasons I forgot).

Something about the car going into low battery mode. It was definitely a race incident and I'm glad the stewards didn't add a next race penalty to Alonso.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.
Why was Timmy Mallett in the paddock?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Brainwrong posted:

New qualifying will involve a round of Mallets Mallet in Q2

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Falken posted:

Also, I was quite liking the Channel 4 pre race chat

Channel 4's northern, stubbly Fake Jake is an improvement on Sky's Fake Jake.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Brainwrong posted:

I just googled that guy and after seeing a picture I have to say there's no way he hasn't inappropriately touched a child or two.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Fat Jesus posted:

The poo poo drivers in the good cars will win more than the good drivers in the poo poo cars for the 3rd straight season

Lewis Hamilton is the best racing driver in the world right now and possibly of all time. Unless you're taking about the fraud, Nico Rosberg, in which case carry on.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I like it when people tell me information I posted but get it slightly wrong. Niki spilled the beans on a confidential meeting, Toto and Horner are being rather vague on what went wrong.

The high airbox/raised sides have been around for years, they know what will happen when it hits any number of things. The entire car is a crash structure with a survival pod on the inside, and they know what will happen if it goes nose down and flips, or sideways and flips, or sideways and then hits a wall. If you look at the crash you will see the airbox took the impact into the barrier and the top front of it is barely dented. This wasn't luck, this was the result of years of bloody hard work, mostly by Dr Sid Watkins and his team after Senna's accident. What people are asking for is that they test everything again, (it's not virtual, they physically try to destroy cars or parts of cars) with any additional safety devices on to make sure we don't break what we already have.

This display of concern for driver safety from people who were gleefully watching men fall off motorbikes going at high speed shortly after the F1 race is quite touching.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

To be fair, there's not a lot that can be done about people falling off motorcycles. Having said that, they have made improvements via traction control and ABS to help prevent the particularly nasty highside type crashes. I'd love to see more development in the leathers and helmets as well because that sort of thing can filter down to road riders like me.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The leathers have some kind of internal airbag system as well. Falling off a bike at high speed is an inherent danger that really can't be helped apart from making sure the tracks are safe so the riders don't hit anything nasty when they fall.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Here's a fun fact: Massa getting springed would not happen today. After it happened manufacturers made both F1 and MotoGP helmets much stronger and safer. No it's not the same as a wheel but you can fire huge bolts and springs at both types of helmet now and it they will take the impact. Wheel tethers are also being made stronger all the time, even 2 years ago a wheel would have come off in Nando's crash but they all stayed on on Sunday.

imo, this current shower of headless chickens needs to decide what they want. Don't go half arsed and cock about with halos or windscreens, put a jet canopy on so they have full protection and there is no vision obstructed, and do additional work on making sure batteries and fuel tanks are safe in the event of a crash, or don't and keep on developing the crash structure and helmets.

edit: jet fighter canopy may mean they can drop the side protection that we have now and we would see more of the driver, which if a lot of people are honest is the reason they are bitching about halos.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Mar 21, 2016

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
I was kind of surprised how upbeat Hamilton was. Finishing P2 to Rosberg generally brings out the 5 year old girl in him. Well done for keeping a lid on it this time!

Edit - Hamilton and Rosberg are now tied with Schumacher/Barrichello for the most 1/2 finishes with 24. Thats 24 in the last 39 races. Along with another 4 double podium finishes.

Double edit - In the RB "dominant" era of 2010-13 Vettel/Webber had almost exactly half as many 1/2 finishes (12) in twice as many races (77).

AgentJotun fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Mar 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It would have been more but for Webber being poo poo, and probably highlights why he would never have been champion even with another driver in Seb's spot.

edit:The first thing Lewis said in the press paddock was "Nico ran me off", which he did but only because Lewis had already fluffed the start, was coming back through, misjudged it himself and very nearly took the pair of them out.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Mar 21, 2016

• Locked thread