Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Echo Cian posted:

Much like how the Bible requires a bit of tolerance for the idea that some people believe God exists.

I am filled with rage every time I read something in the bible that I know someone out there believes to be true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Looking to read a novel or something shorter that focuses on a lone traveler wandering through the Old West during Manifest Destiny. Already read Blood Meridian, and not necessarily looking for something like it.

Carly Gay Dead Son fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 18, 2016

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Hold up, gonna make my already specific request ridiculously more specific: It should deal directly with gender/race politics of the time. Thanks fam.

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe

Beyond sane knolls posted:

Looking to read a novel or something shorter that focuses on a lone traveler wandering through the Old West during Manifest Destiny. Already read Blood Meridian, and not necessarily looking for something like it.

Thar encompasses a large chunk of the western genre itself. So Wild A Dream by Win Blevins is good if you want something that isn't like Blood Meridian.

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe

Beyond sane knolls posted:

Hold up, gonna make my already specific request ridiculously more specific: It should deal directly with gender/race politics of the time. Thanks fam.

Ned Christie's War by Robert J Conley

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Borneo Jimmy posted:

Thar encompasses a large chunk of the western genre itself. So Wild A Dream by Win Blevins is good if you want something that isn't like Blood Meridian.

Borneo Jimmy posted:

I'll check both of these out if I can find them, cheers!

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
What's the best book people have read to give a good background and understanding of the Vietnam war? Particularly interested in how it impacted the vietnamese people, so if it was from that perspective it would be even better.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Quandary posted:

What's the best book people have read to give a good background and understanding of the Vietnam war? Particularly interested in how it impacted the vietnamese people, so if it was from that perspective it would be even better.

To your first sentence: if you want to know the why/how of the US finding itself in Indo-China, A Grand Delusion is the best book out there, hands down. Nothing touches it in describing the politics surrounding the conflict. It doesnt get into the military operations/tactics a whole lot, but it is the best researched and most comprehensive book outlining a political history that had its start in WW2.

As for your second sentence, you're probably going to want something written from the Vietnamese perspective and I'm not sure what to recommend off hand -- maybe someone can chime in with suggestions, because I'd be interested as well.

I do have Brother Enemy, but it's more a perspective/history of Vietnam immediately after the US left. I just got it, so I'm not sure if it deals at all with the period during the war.

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 21, 2016

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
I've always loved the combination of sci fi (and fantasy) and a good mystery. Can someone recommend a good one - I've already read all of Niven, Bujold and McDevitt, and I'm a little sick of the urban fantasy. Any recommendations? I'm thinking something like Icarus Hunt by Zahn, but I would also like something with a more xeno-archeological bent (like, what happened to all of these dead aliens???)

Thanks!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Bozart posted:

I've always loved the combination of sci fi (and fantasy) and a good mystery. Can someone recommend a good one - I've already read all of Niven, Bujold and McDevitt, and I'm a little sick of the urban fantasy. Any recommendations? I'm thinking something like Icarus Hunt by Zahn, but I would also like something with a more xeno-archeological bent (like, what happened to all of these dead aliens???)

Thanks!

Maybe Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds? It's hard sci-fi though, not fantasy. Xeno-archeology is its primary focus.

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 21, 2016

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Quandary posted:

There's not a lot in it from the vietnamese perspective but I found Vietnam: The Ten Thousand Day War by Michael Mclear to be really good.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Appreciate both your answers. I'll check it out, and will probably read Grand Delusion at the very least!

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Bozart posted:

Thanks!

Pretty broad, but

Blindsight by Peter Watts
Inverted World by Christopher Priest
The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North

And echoing Alastair Reynolds, I'd also recommend one of his short story collections like Galactic North.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

How is the Expanse series? I watched the show and liked it. I was thinking of reading the second and third books in the Ancillary Justice series but I'm a bit worried it's going to be lame political drama with no space battle cool poo poo to hook it all together. I love the idea of melded AI and mind stuff. Any thoughts?

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Blind Rasputin posted:

How is the Expanse series? I watched the show and liked it. I was thinking of reading the second and third books in the Ancillary Justice series but I'm a bit worried it's going to be lame political drama with no space battle cool poo poo to hook it all together. I love the idea of melded AI and mind stuff. Any thoughts?

Justice does have a cool space fight or two in the second two books, but it's not the center of the story. Second two a very good books though, better written than the first and easier to follow.

Expanse is loving fantastic. Lots of action, great characters. The show is an acceptable adaptation, but it definitely hasn't matched the books yet.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Quandary posted:

While it doesn't really go into great historical detail about the war itself, and is mostly set in Louisiana, A Good Scent From A Strange Mountain by Robert Olen Butler is a collection of short stories entirely from the Vietnamese perspective. It's one of my favorite books.

regularizer
Mar 5, 2012

I'm reading The Road to Oxiana and I love it. Can anyone recommend a good travelogue for another part of the world?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

regularizer posted:

I'm reading The Road to Oxiana and I love it. Can anyone recommend a good travelogue for another part of the world?

I'm a big fan of Bill Bryson's travel stuff, especially In A Sunburned Country where he covers Australia. In my opinion, travel writing is a lot like food writing in that it can get full of itself and unreadable very easily, so I like the stuff that's got a fair bit of humor in it

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Epic High Five posted:

I'm a big fan of Bill Bryson's travel stuff, especially In A Sunburned Country where he covers Australia. In my opinion, travel writing is a lot like food writing in that it can get full of itself and unreadable very easily, so I like the stuff that's got a fair bit of humor in it

I'm reading and enjoying Bryson's A Walk In The Woods right now. I'll read a bit of it everytime I take a poo poo few days or so

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

timp posted:

I'm reading and enjoying Bryson's A Walk In The Woods right now. I'll read a bit of it everytime I take a poo poo few days or so

I loved that one, though it made me depressed at my relatively impoverished circumstances because I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to take 6+ months off to go hike the AT but, like climbing Everest or big game hunting, it's largely only in the realm of the wealthy and crazy people with no roots anywhere like Reinhold Messner. Oh speaking of The Crystal Horizon is a fun read though my favorite all time book on mountaineering is Into Thin Air

Th_
Nov 29, 2008
I just finished The Dead Mountaineer's Inn and loved it. If I've already read Roadside picnic, what should I do next?

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

Th_ posted:

I just finished The Dead Mountaineer's Inn and loved it. If I've already read Roadside picnic, what should I do next?

I really enjoyed "Monday Begins on Saturday" but it's very different from other Strugatsky books (Fantasy-ish satire rather than science fiction). Also, a lot of it is based on Russian folklore and wordplay so you'll have to make sure that the translation is really good.

Th_
Nov 29, 2008

superstepa posted:

I really enjoyed "Monday Begins on Saturday" but it's very different from other Strugatsky books (Fantasy-ish satire rather than science fiction). Also, a lot of it is based on Russian folklore and wordplay so you'll have to make sure that the translation is really good.

I'll check it out. Thanks!

Can of Cloud
May 20, 2010
Why have I JUST discovered the amazing works of Cesar Aira?!

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Recommend me books to do with witchcraft in a fantasy setting, or anything interesting to do with witchcraft. Please gentle-goons.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Tsyni posted:

Recommend me books to do with witchcraft in a fantasy setting, or anything interesting to do with witchcraft. Please gentle-goons.

The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett

Or possibly Lords and Ladies by the same

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Tsyni posted:

Uprooted by Naomi Novik.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Tsyni posted:

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell is the top one to come to mind for me

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

That book was legit.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Why would you dismiss English Magic as "witchcraft"?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Why would you dismiss English Magic as "witchcraft"?

Cuz I'm not a stuck up Norrellist, Strange all day for me brother

Blind Rasputin posted:

That book was legit.

I wish Suzanna Clarke wrote more.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Why is the majority of the beginning of Ancillary Sword about tucking tea sets? God drat.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Can of Cloud posted:

Why have I JUST discovered the amazing works of Cesar Aira?!

because you don't read the child loving book thread.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Can anyone recommend me the literary equivalent of Ferris Bueller's Day Off and Dazed and Confused?

Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up a To Me by Fariņa, On The Road by Kerouac and even Joyland by Stephen King are good examples of what I'm looking for.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 25, 2016

Kitty Cowboy
Apr 12, 2012
I'm looking for some good living-in-the-woods novels, something like Robinson Crusoe , or grown up versions of My Side of the Mountain , Hatchet, or Swiss Family Robinson. Hell, even The Martian would scratch that itch, but I would prefer novels that are set in a terrestrial environment.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Dude, you should read Suttree. I'm not sure your exact itch but if you want a deep emotional story about a man living alone in the woods. This is really good. It isn't the woods exactly, more of a houseboat on a river, but metaphorically he's definitely living in the wilderness of mankind. It's a beautiful story.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've recently re-read Soulsville U.S.A. by Rob Bowman, which is all about the story of Stax Records. I'm looking to find a copy of Sweet Soul Music by Peter Guralnick. Are there any other books about American soul music which are especially essential?

I have also been recommended the book DisneyWar recently, which is about Michael Eisner tenure as head of Disney and his eventual ousting. I am interested in behind-the-scenes stories from the entertainment industry (music, films - usually stuff about companies, record labels, studios taken as a whole and so on, where individual characters are players in a narrative rather than its central focus). Is this a good book to read? What similar books are outstanding in this (I acknowledge, very, very large) category?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've recently re-read Soulsville U.S.A. by Rob Bowman, which is all about the story of Stax Records. I'm looking to find a copy of Sweet Soul Music by Peter Guralnick. Are there any other books about American soul music which are especially essential?

I have also been recommended the book DisneyWar recently, which is about Michael Eisner tenure as head of Disney and his eventual ousting. I am interested in behind-the-scenes stories from the entertainment industry (music, films - usually stuff about companies, record labels, studios taken as a whole and so on, where individual characters are players in a narrative rather than its central focus). Is this a good book to read? What similar books are outstanding in this (I acknowledge, very, very large) category?

Regarding behind-the-scenes Hollywood stuff, I can recommend The Devil's Candy (about the making, and failure of, the movie adaptation of The Bonfire of the Vanities) and William Goldman's Adventures in the Screen Trade.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
Anyone have some recommendations for books about or involving dinosaurs? The person I'm looking for is an adult who really enjoys things like books about science and National Geographics, but something silly like a Dinosaur murder mystery would go over just as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Malt posted:

Anyone have some recommendations for books about or involving dinosaurs? The person I'm looking for is an adult who really enjoys things like books about science and National Geographics, but something silly like a Dinosaur murder mystery would go over just as well.

Raptor Red maybe, if you're looking for a real thing from the point of view of a dinosaur. It's been so long since I read it that I can't remember if it has much literary merit, but I definitely enjoyed it.

Otherwise, I also liked The Lost Dinosaurs of Egypt, which is a dryer sort of book that chronicles simultaneously the loss of and attempted rediscovering of the Spinosaurus and it just all full of really interesting stuff

Also, of course, Jurassic Park