Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Over at DC, Renee Montoya (formerly the Question, a GCPD detective, and a PI) is a recovering alcoholic. That is, if she even exists anymore.

So is Hal Jordan, who did jail time for a DUI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Over at DC, Renee Montoya (formerly the Question, a GCPD detective, and a PI) is a recovering alcoholic. That is, if she even exists anymore.

So is Hal Jordan, who did jail time for a DUI.

She exists again in the new Detective Comics with robo-Batman. They sort of imply that she has just been out of Gotham since the reboot because she already had a history with Bullock and the GCPD.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ultraman is hooked on snorting kryptonite :(

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Gavok posted:

Flash Thompson, which worked into how being Venom means being drunk on power a lot of the time.

I love Remender Subtexts, which are so bold and overt that they become the text itself and additional subtexts build colonies inside.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Captain Britain was an abusive alcoholic for awhile.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Captain Britain was an abusive alcoholic for awhile.

So was banshee and Siren

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

So was banshee and Siren

I wish we had an emoticon with a guy in a balaclava shedding a single tear in front of a Tricolour.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Speedy, AKA Arsenal AKA Red Arrow had a pretty good Heroin habit going on for a while

Jay Garrick on Flash has an addiction to Velocity, a drug that increases speedsters' speed. Not sure if it ever came up in the comics.

Snowflame is an obscure DC villain who is literally powered by cocaine, so that's kind of an addiction

Earth One Harvey Bullock develops a drinking habit, which might be full blown alcoholism by now. Alternate universe though so kind of up in the air

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Batman was addicted to Venom once.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Eli Bradley was high on MGH for the first part of Young Avengers.

Beast was mainlining Sublime for a few decades over in Bad X-Men Future #762-339Q

Batman had a brief Venom addiction (predating Bane's appearance).

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Miraclo became addictive at some point, and the Tyler's had to stop Hourmanning, until American culture no longer found it problematic to depict superheroes popping pills for superpowers.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Black Knight's had some heavy handed drug metaphors with his cursed sword.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Batman was addicted to Venom once.

I surprisingly could not find a picture of Venom making out with Batman to post in reply here.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The current Ultraman is addicted to Kryptonite.

Edit: what about heroes who are addicted to being a hero?

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 21, 2016

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

I surprisingly could not find a picture of Venom making out with Batman to post in reply here.

"We wish we knew how to quit you!"

"I'm sure I could figure it out if you gave me enough prep time."

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Rhyno posted:

The current Ultraman is addicted to Kryptonite.

A case could be made for most of them.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

Mr. Incredible.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Chaos Hippy posted:

A case could be made for most of them.

That showed up in Busiek's Iron Man run (right after Heroes Return), when it's demonstrated that just using the Iron Man armour is killing Tony because something something powerlines are evil something, but he still Iron Man-s it up, and the internal monologue is quite explicit about it being a different form of the same addictive issues he has with booze.

He goes on to develop an armour that's actually safe to wear; the prototype shows up in a Fantastic Four crossover (drawn by Alan Davis in the same weirdly shiny style as all of Claremont's Fantastic Four, marring what was actually a fun design). The final version sticks around for a few stories then turns sentient and tries to kill him.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CzarChasm posted:

Speedy, AKA Arsenal AKA Red Arrow had a pretty good Heroin habit going on for a while
The best part of this is that, at least in modern depictions, apparently people writing him never actually bothered to look up how a person high on heroin looks like or acts. Hint: It's not running around being a superhero.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DigitalRaven posted:

He goes on to develop an armour that's actually safe to wear; the prototype shows up in a Fantastic Four crossover (drawn by Alan Davis in the same weirdly shiny style as all of Claremont's Fantastic Four, marring what was actually a fun design). The final version sticks around for a few stories then turns sentient and tries to kill him.

Salvador Larocca, surely?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Salvador Larocca, surely?

:downs: yeah, it was Larocca. Where did I get Davis from?

Sean Chen did his best with the design in the second part of the story, but the weird half-gold section on the inside of the leg & feet remains awful. These are the best scans I can find to show what I mean.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DigitalRaven posted:

:downs: yeah, it was Larocca. Where did I get Davis from?
I looked it up. Davis was the artist on the first three issues of the post-Heroes Reborn F4 run with Lobdell writing, but then it switched to Claremon/Larocca.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
It's not Big Two – nor is it a great book – but Dark Horse's Buzzkill miniseries is about a superhero whose powers manifest under the influence of psychoactive drugs. As you might imagine, the main character has some substance abuse issues as a result.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I have a bit of affection for the sort of "glossy magazine" design a lot of Marvel covers went for in the Heroes Return era.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

DigitalRaven posted:

That showed up in Busiek's Iron Man run (right after Heroes Return), when it's demonstrated that just using the Iron Man armour is killing Tony because something something powerlines are evil something, but he still Iron Man-s it up, and the internal monologue is quite explicit about it being a different form of the same addictive issues he has with booze.

I was especially thinking of Spider-Man as a good (probably accidental) addiction allegory. He's tried to quit several times, but keeps on going back to it because he just can't say no, even though it keeps ruining his life and will probably eventually kill him.

See also: Daredevil.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

ayy bss

Has Metamorpho ever had a team-up adventure with one or more of the Metal Men? If not, well, poop, why not? It seems like an obvious pairing.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Squizzle posted:

ayy bss

Has Metamorpho ever had a team-up adventure with one or more of the Metal Men? If not, well, poop, why not? It seems like an obvious pairing.

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Brave_and_the_Bold_Vol_1_66

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

I have a bit of affection for the sort of "glossy magazine" design a lot of Marvel covers went for in the Heroes Return era.

I like the way Sean Chen did it (he's the artist on that cover, and for much of Busiek's Iron Man), but Larocca's Fantastic Four goes too far for my tastes. All his characters look like someone polished a stress-ball; they're really shiny but you could squeeze them and they'd just deform.

Chaos Hippy posted:

I was especially thinking of Spider-Man as a good (probably accidental) addiction allegory. He's tried to quit several times, but keeps on going back to it because he just can't say no, even though it keeps ruining his life and will probably eventually kill him.

Oh good point on Spider-Man. Thinking about it, that comes up during the Clone Saga of all stories, when Peter and MJ have moved on to let Ben be Spider-Man, only he keeps putting the goddamn costume on and ignoring his pregnant wife.

Surprisingly for MJ, she does not take it particularly well.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Newspaper Spider-Man always has things turned up to batshit, so one story arc has Peter decide to accompany his wife on holiday to get out of town while Sabretooth is running around after him, and just to make sure nobody figures out that Peter Parker is really Spider-Man, he leaves his costume at home. All well and good. Then he passes a burning building while walking around aimlessly and decides he has to help, so he breaks into a costume store and 'borrows' an angel costume to wear while rescuing all the people. He gets given a reward for his good deed so when he returns the angel costume he uses his reward money to buy a Spider-Man costume.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ghostlight posted:

Newspaper Spider-Man always has things turned up to batshit, so one story arc has Peter decide to accompany his wife on holiday to get out of town while Sabretooth is running around after him, and just to make sure nobody figures out that Peter Parker is really Spider-Man, he leaves his costume at home. All well and good. Then he passes a burning building while walking around aimlessly and decides he has to help, so he breaks into a costume store and 'borrows' an angel costume to wear while rescuing all the people. He gets given a reward for his good deed so when he returns the angel costume he uses his reward money to buy a Spider-Man costume.

Pete's not too proud to pay for a costume when he needs it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So he packed his web shooters but not his suit.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Is anyone still counting drug-fueled heroes? The main guy in Vertigo's "Jacked" gets temporary superstrength from a pill; plot's based heavily on him using the pills and reflecting on his actions as a relief from his midlife crisis. More fun than it sounds, I promise.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

prefect posted:

Pete's not too proud to pay for a costume when he needs it.

Spider-Man vs. Wolverine #1. A random purchase from a newsstand spinner rack when I was a kid that turned out to be awe-inspiring, surprisingly dark, and served as a necessary lead-in to Amazing Spider-Man #289, where they finally revealed the Hobgoblin's identity.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Spider-Man vs. Wolverine #1. A random purchase from a newsstand spinner rack when I was a kid that turned out to be awe-inspiring, surprisingly dark, and served as a necessary lead-in to Amazing Spider-Man #289, where they finally revealed the Hobgoblin's identity.

Spider-man killed a person with his fists!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Spider-man killed a person with his fists!

To be fair, she was totally asking for it. She was suicidal, and dove head first into a punch meant for Wolverine

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

That story had Ned Leeds murdered and revealed to be the hobgoblin right? People then realized it was bull as how could he have been murdered that way if he was the hobgoblin?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

That story had Ned Leeds murdered and revealed to be the hobgoblin right? People then realized it was bull as how could he have been murdered that way if he was the hobgoblin?

I think so? I think it was going to be someone else, who was completely obviously Hobgoblin. Then, because people guessed it way before the reveal, they turned around and said "Oh look, it was Ned all along. You guessed wrong. Don't you look dumb."

Pretty sure it was retconned back to the other guy before too long.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

CzarChasm posted:

I think so? I think it was going to be someone else, who was completely obviously Hobgoblin. Then, because people guessed it way before the reveal, they turned around and said "Oh look, it was Ned all along. You guessed wrong. Don't you look dumb."

Pretty sure it was retconned back to the other guy before too long.

I thought it was more stern left without telling people who it was going to be and they went gently caress it its Ned.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

They had to make it Ned because while they were trying to drop clues for who it might be (while not actually knowing who it was due to Stern being gone) they accidentally made it so it couldn't possibly be anyone but Ned.

Then later it got retconned so that Ned Leeds was hypnotized to think he was the Hobgoblin(???) and Roderick Kingsley was the original all along.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

bobkatt013 posted:

Spider-Man/Wolverine only had Leeds's murder; the revelation that he was the Hobgoblin came in the main books shortly after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought it was more stern left without telling people who it was going to be and they went gently caress it its Ned.

Stern's original plan was to keep the mystery up for one issue longer than it took to reveal Osborn as the original Green Goblin. When he left before that could happen, he told DeFalco that Hobgoblin was going to be Roderick Kingsley, but DeFalco wasn't keen and decided Leeds would be a better choice.