Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Skarsnik posted:

Ah, so you mean like when you use the volume buttons and select which sound from the drop down

Except its always there and doesn't just appear when you are already doing something with the volume

Yes, I would rather click one button than click two buttons and move a slider. I pretty much never go to the slider menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

The more I read about the S7 the less inclined I am to buy it. The specs, camera, and display are all incredible, but they have so many dumb loving design elements mixed in with them. I hope the next Nexus device is S7 sized with the same tier of specs.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Skarsnik posted:

I agree

What does the sound toggle do that the do not disturb toggle or volume buttons doesn't achieve ?

Why would you want to quickly turn sync on and off?

I don't! I only care about flashlight and wifi, but there's 5 spots that it insists on filling so those were the least worthless. Actually, bluetooth was less worthless since I have a few devices that I need to pick from so I moved that in and it bumped sync off the side.

So that last spot has to get filled:
* Private mode
* Smart view
* "S Finder"
* Auto rotate
* Wifi calling
* Power saving
* Airplane mode
* NFC
* Always on display

None of them warrant a toggle, there's TWO separate "power saving" toggles, or I could turn the GPS on and off randomly. I'd love to get rid of ALL of them and require a double-drag to get to any toggles, but alas, touchjizz.

Merv Burger posted:

Google Now will notify you of severe weather alerts. It will also give you weather information! And it doesn't look awful in your notifications.

Why are you duplicating existing functionality?

Because now does basically nothing I want in a weather app? I use it to pull up forecasts and hour-by-hour rain chances. Google now doesn't even put weather in any of my cards. Yes, I checked, weather updates are enabled, but I've never seen one in it.

It turns out that people who leave their basement care about the weather more than "is a storm going to knock out power later? I should heat up my poptarts now."

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Harik posted:

Because now does basically nothing I want in a weather app? I use it to pull up forecasts and hour-by-hour rain chances. Google now doesn't even put weather in any of my cards. Yes, I checked, weather updates are enabled, but I've never seen one in it.

It turns out that people who leave their basement care about the weather more than "is a storm going to knock out power later? I should heat up my poptarts now."

You could just have that as an interactive element on your Wear device screen and forego the notification thing altogether? I use a Dashclock widget on my homescreen that pulls next-hour rain chance from Forecast.io, so that works too.

It's also weird that you never see your Now weather card because mine is always visible, both in Now, in the notifications (in the portion below the active notifications), and on Wear.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Hey, Samsungites, your :turianass:best screen ever:turianass: has edge touch discrimination problems and your carrier is obstructing the fix.

For the record, I know that US and Canadian S7s use Exynos processors instead of Snapdragons and this more than the carrier stuff is responsible for the delay. 1) :laffo:, 2) not knowing whether your phone will ever get fixed because it doesn't use parts equivalent to most other phones of its model is not a concern that a user should have to have, and yet you paid 700 bucks for the privilege, and 3) my assessment is still technically valid because of course Samsung would rather just have one phone everywhere and even if it's a legal matter it's still probably carriers' faults somehow.

LastInLine posted:

You could just have that as an interactive element on your Wear device screen and forego the notification thing altogether?

Hell of an assumption here.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sir Unimaginative posted:

For the record, I know that US and Canadian S7s use Exynos processors instead of Snapdragons

Wrong, US S7s use Snapdragon, Canadian models use Exynos. The processor difference was apparently because of the need to have certain frequencies on US carriers or something that the Exynos couldn't do? I don't remember.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

On Terra Firma posted:

The more I read about the S7 the less inclined I am to buy it. The specs, camera, and display are all incredible, but they have so many dumb loving design elements mixed in with them. I hope the next Nexus device is S7 sized with the same tier of specs.

Well, let's put it this way: We're arguing over toggles and a notification. The poo poo that works just loving works - it's why the little bits that need polish are so irritating. It's an irritation if you use whatsapp or hangouts for messaging - the messages waiting function of the always-on display ignores everything that's not a SMS. Upside: It's better than ambient - it's always on instead of on when you pick it up. I've replaced my bedside clock with it.

The camera is as fast to get to as an iPhone - something you don't realize you need until you miss a picture waiting on it to come up.

LastInLine posted:

You could just have that as an interactive element on your Wear device screen and forego the notification thing altogether?

As soon as they make a fully mechanical Wear device, I'll pick one up.

LastInLine posted:

It's also weird that you never see your Now weather card because mine is always visible, both in Now, in the notifications (in the portion below the active notifications), and on Wear.

*shrug* The whims of what Now picks to tell you have always been opaque to me. It's the main reason I don't use it much; if I could TELL it what I wanted and have it expand from there that'd be one thing. As is, I just have to hope my usage habits convince big data that I actually do want to have the weather in a fixed location to check.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

CLAM DOWN posted:

Wrong, US S7s use Snapdragon, Canadian models use Exynos. The processor difference was apparently because of the need to have certain frequencies on US carriers or something that the Exynos couldn't do? I don't remember.

Whatever. Point stands; there are too many too different things called the S7 so you don't actually know what you got for your money and whether it'll stay supported.

"But Samsung pro~~~~mised" And that promise gets harder and harder to keep with every different thing you call the same, and we already know Samsung either can't or won't keep up with their previous degree of flagship market segmentation.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Whatever. Point stands; there are too many too different things called the S7 so you don't actually know what you got for your money and whether it'll stay supported.

"But Samsung pro~~~~mised" And that promise gets harder and harder to keep with every different thing you call the same, and we already know Samsung either can't or won't keep up with their previous degree of flagship market segmentation.

There's only 2 models, the S7 and S7 Edge. The different processors are region-dependent, like in Canada I can't get a Snapdragon phone, no matter what carrier/store I go to it's the Exynos version. So, I'm not sure why you're so upset about this to the point of misleading raging hyperbole?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Hey, Samsungites, your :turianass:best screen ever:turianass: has edge touch discrimination problems and your carrier is obstructing the fix.

For the record, I know that US and Canadian S7s use Exynos processors instead of Snapdragons and this more than the carrier stuff is responsible for the delay. 1) :laffo:, 2) not knowing whether your phone will ever get fixed because it doesn't use parts equivalent to most other phones of its model is not a concern that a user should have to have, and yet you paid 700 bucks for the privilege, and 3) my assessment is still technically valid because of course Samsung would rather just have one phone everywhere and even if it's a legal matter it's still probably carriers' faults somehow.

Hell of an assumption here.

You have that backwards, US models use the Snapdragon, for compatibility with American CDMA networks I believe.

Desk Lamp fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 21, 2016

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Desk Lamp posted:

for compatibility with American CDMA networks I believe.

man why can't CDMA just go away

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Daily Forecast posted:

man why can't CDMA just go away

They are working on it I think. I know Verizon is at least

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

vyst posted:

Sprint is working on just going away altogether.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Sprint is working on just going away altogether.

But then how will people constantly manage to pick the worst possible MVNOs for service?

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Harik posted:

You mean forecasts like this?

Maybe if you look into enabling it some more, you'll be as productive as that stawman you made.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

LastInLine posted:

You could just have that as an interactive element on your Wear device screen and forego the notification thing altogether? I use a Dashclock widget on my homescreen that pulls next-hour rain chance from Forecast.io, so that works too.

Dashclock + weather widget for me, too.
Does everything I need. I don't *need* at-a-glance hour-by-hour weather reports. I can tap once for that.

vyst posted:

Verizon is trying to go VoLTE only and get rid of GSM+CDMA altogether.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 21, 2016

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Well if you believe Ars and gsmarena, the Exynos version of the S7 Edge gets like two more hours of battery so that's another reason to get mad about CDMA.

Ra-amun
Feb 25, 2011

What's wrong with my clock? I tried different themes and different launchers but I have no idea why it's not aligned with the text. Anyone else ever have this issue?

Ra-amun fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 21, 2016

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
I've had weather in my cards from day one. The more you use it the better it becomes.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Ra-amun posted:

What's wrong with my clock? I tried different themes and different launchers but I have no idea why it's not aligned with the text. Anyone else ever have this issue?

No clue, don't have that problem on my Nexus hu hu hu hu

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Ra-amun posted:

Does your Settings -> Display -> Font look like this, or different?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
My Nexus 6P has stopped charging from it's wall jack and cable, but still charges from it's USB-C-to-USB connector when connected to my PC.

Anyone know what's causing this? Are the default cables the phone came with just bad? I got the phone shortly after it came out.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Obvious question, but have you tried a different charging brick to make sure it isn't that?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Rastor posted:

Try selecting "Choco cooky" and see if that helps.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

So LG is adding an unlocked G5 that'll work on US CDMA networks too.

Your move, Samsung.

Ra-amun
Feb 25, 2011

Rastor posted:

That was it, thanks! I just toggled the font sizes and restarted. The font sizes actually do something to the clock now.

I guess it might've been acting up after upgrading to Marshmallow.

RZA Encryption posted:

Try selecting "Choco cooky" and see if that helps.

First thing I tried!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Internet Explorer posted:

Obvious question, but have you tried a different charging brick to make sure it isn't that?

Unfortunately I only have one USB-C charger (the one that came with the phone) and no USB-C to USB-Micro cable.

So. Kinda outta luck :v:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Welp, better throw your phone in the trash. :v:

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
Anyone with an S6/S6 Edge/S6 Edge+ on US Cellular - Marshmallow is available for them today.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

I guess you can use it BYOD on Sprint.

Samsung must be quaking in their booties.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The internet has figured out how to activate freeform window mode (a.k.a. "Android as Desktop OS") in Android N Preview.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Podcast Addict just up and deleted itself on my phone this morning, is this an issue anyone else has had?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Eej posted:

Well if you believe Ars and gsmarena, the Exynos version of the S7 Edge gets like two more hours of battery so that's another reason to get mad about CDMA.

And they limited Quick Charge to 2.0 even though the 820 supports 3.0.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Lowen SoDium posted:

And they limited Quick Charge to 2.0 even though the 820 supports 3.0.

There being no actual difference between the two except for marketing purposes

So yeah paying Qualcomm more for branding the exynos as qc3.0 would be a great decision

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

broken clock opsec posted:

There being no actual difference between the two except for marketing purposes

There actually are quite a few differences between QC 3.0 and QC 2.0. I don't know if the increase in charging time is something to worry about, but the QC 3.0 implementation is superior to QC 2.0.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

sbaldrick posted:

Podcast Addict just up and deleted itself on my phone this morning, is this an issue anyone else has had?

I'm not familiar with the app, but maybe Google saw malware in it and removed it?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

I'm not familiar with the app, but maybe Google saw malware in it and removed it?

Seems to still be on the Play Store https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bambuna.podcastaddict

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The latest versions of Maps are incredible. I love how Google keeps making this app even more awesome.

Just silly little additions like putting the street name in a bubble on the map makes a big difference.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
What's the best free app for backing up everything before performing a factory reset?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Merv Burger posted:

You mean forecasts like this?

Maybe if you look into enabling it some more, you'll be as productive as that stawman you made.

Ahh yes. Big Data - apparently, over a year ago, I swiped away weather once. That meant I never ever wanted to see it again, and I had to find it buried 3 menus deep in "other cards", where everything was "yes, I want to see weather updates" but that was all overruled by "no, I didn't want to see it this one time."

Very productive! Or, I could just drag a working weather widget to my homescreen and have google now bugger off with it's generally pointless information.

Here's the problem with now: ok, I got weather working. Now whenever I launch it I can see exactly two things: what the weather is, and how far it is to work/home. Scrolling down it's nothing but clickbait headlines. "Google found one weird trick to get me to never bother using Now, you'll never believe what it is!!!". If I could point it at people I follow and get updates it would have value, but that's not what it's for. It's for selling my eyeballs, and I don't get a say in it. There's not even a way to seed it with content I want aside from repeatedly google searching for things on the desktop site and clicking through.

It needs to be: "Ok google" "Add a feed from paul krugman" then expand from there. When they add that, I'll engage with it. Until then, stop trying to sell me on it.

Harik fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 21, 2016