Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Probably a deal they cut to get him out front as a GOP sponsor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foppery
Dec 27, 2013

I POSSESS THE POWER CHRONIC

Chantilly Say posted:

And Rama IX is 88, and the currently longest-serving head of state having ruled for 69 years.

nice

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Playing the long con here. His not 100% dickholery will score a primary challenger that's batshit like that Sarah O'Donnel witch. Or bearded man governor of Idaho candidate.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

DemeaninDemon posted:

Playing the long con here. His not 100% dickholery will score a primary challenger that's batshit like that Sarah O'Donnel witch. Or bearded man governor of Idaho candidate.

:goonsay: Christine O'Donnell. They played the "I'm not a witch" audio on NPR a couple weeks ago and I was wracked by nostalgia.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Right. Sarah O'Donnel is the fusion of her and Palin in America's worst nightmare.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

DemeaninDemon posted:

Right. Sarah O'Donnel is the fusion of her and Palin in America's worst nightmare.

I mean, you're basically describing anencephaly here, so I don't know if she would actually be a threat.

Foppery
Dec 27, 2013

It's not like their endorsement is gonna save Kirk anyway, he's as good as doomed in November.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
I must have missed this but since when is John McCain at risk of losing his senate seat?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

I must have missed this but since when is John McCain at risk of losing his senate seat?

I think it's because Trump hates him and he'll tell his followers to vote Democrat in the Arizona Senate election or something.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

computer parts posted:

I think it's because Trump hates him and he'll tell his followers to vote Democrat in the Arizona Senate election or something.

His approval ratings are really low but it's just that the tea party / trumpist wings of the party hate him, which artificially deflates his political viability. Kirkpatrick is a good candidate though, I'm hoping she can keep it close enough to maybe swing a house race or two but I'm not familiar enough with AZ districting to know what's feasible.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

https://twitter.com/scottwongDC/status/710552711838769152

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

"It'll be good for him, he deserves a break. Maybe he can retire to a cage somewhere since he enjoys getting captured so much. Bye bye!" - Trump

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Epic High Five posted:

"Point to Afghanistan please"

*points to Turkey*

"Congratulations, you scored better than 80% of your peers" *shoots self in head*

I was making small talk with a guy in a restaurant a few months back and he thought Israel was somewhere over by France. I'm not kidding.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Holy poo poo I'm pretty tuned in to political news and that Trump supporter decking then kicking the poo poo out of that protester didn't even come on my radar. This poo poo is so commonplace now the media doesn't even cover it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

She just doesn't stand up for our veterans. vOv

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

UrbicaMortis posted:

Why is it that you have some courts covering a tiny amount of space and others responsible for like a third of the US?

The circuits as shown on the map were mostly organized as of 1891. There were originally 9 circuits and each SCOTUS justice was responsible for supporting one of them. Due to population growth and demographic changes, the 8th Circuit was halved (which formed the 10th) and the 5th circuit was halved (which formed the 11th).

The 9th circuit is the one most in need of realignment at the moment, but the majority of the 9th's work is from California, and they don't want to split the state.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Additionally, while more of them are liberal than eight years ago (including the 4th, previously one of the most conservative and still among the more important thanks to taking cases from the DC suburbs of NOVA, thanks Obama) there are still some notable holdouts, including the notorious 5th, and I want to say the 10th?

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

clockworkjoe posted:

Trump is calling out camera operators at his rallies now: http://theconservativetreehouse.com...show-the-crowd/

If that operator hadn't done as Trump said, things might have gotten real ugly for him. The article also has a real anti-intellectual bent to it, which I thought was kind of weird, especially with the trump lion image at the bottom. Is this the groundwork for a future third party?

Between this, the time he yelled at the audio guy, and the recent thing with the lights going out, I wonder how much of this is becoming a "thing". Stagehands are a surly, protective, and vindictive lot, and IATSE is about as blue as an organization can get. I think it would be hilarious to watch as nothing at his events goes right because he's constantly threatening to not pay the event staff.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Bushiz posted:

Between this, the time he yelled at the audio guy, and the recent thing with the lights going out, I wonder how much of this is becoming a "thing". Stagehands are a surly, protective, and vindictive lot, and IATSE is about as blue as an organization can get. I think it would be hilarious to watch as nothing at his events goes right because he's constantly threatening to not pay the event staff.

As we get further into 'center cannot hold, slouching toward Gomorrah' territory, you got to expect things to get a little glitchy now and again.

Don't kill the messenger, you dickhead. Unless you are a plant working for the opposition, in which case carry on.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Seriously, you treat staff like your personal whipping boy at your own risk. You keep that poo poo in the bedroom, you wannabee Putin.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

He's just working in some Vince Offer style pitchmanship to encourage us to try his style of government.

"You know the Germans make great stuff."

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Very, very detailed analysis of the Democratic party, the changes that have taken place over the years in terms of policy, focus and demographic aims, with Thomas Frank. Views on trade deals and decision making and how it all seems to be coming to a quite head, as well as the changing language of political labels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwHXhr0MWoo

Just a warning, there's ads in there, some quite annoying, but the material is good.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Mar 21, 2016

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Foppery posted:

It's not like their endorsement is gonna save Kirk anyway, he's as good as doomed in November.

Really? As a liberal, I love Duckworth, but I thought Kirk still had pretty good support? He's certainly much more palatable than most of the Republican members of Congress.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Unzip and Attack posted:

Holy poo poo I'm pretty tuned in to political news and that Trump supporter decking then kicking the poo poo out of that protester didn't even come on my radar. This poo poo is so commonplace now the media doesn't even cover it.

Your radar must be broken because it was the main headline on NBC News and CNN for over 24 hours. It has since been replaced by Obama's Cuba trip but it was covered pretty extensively.

And every single left leaning site had it too, for example Huffington Post had it front and center poorly formatted text and all.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Mar 21, 2016

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
As expected Hillary and the entire Democratic establishment is laying the groundwork for an all out campaign of attack against Trump. Obviously they are going to say the right things while being interviewed but it is comforting that they seem to be leaving literally no stone unturned, whether his financial and business dealings to his horrifically racist rhetoric.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...a7b7_story.html

quote:

Democratic front-runner Hillary Clinton and her allies have begun preparing a playbook to defeat Donald Trump in a general-election matchup that will attempt to do what his Republican opponents couldn’t: show that his business dealings and impolitic statements make him unfit to be commander in chief.

Both the Clinton campaign and outside supporters are confident that she and Trump will almost certainly face each other in the general election and that the focus is shifting past her hard-fought primary campaign against Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont.

They are now focused intently on researching the billionaire real estate mogul’s business record, dissecting his economic policies and compiling a long history of controversial pronouncements that have captivated and repelled the nation in this tumultuous election season.

Neither the Clinton campaign nor several independent super PACs working on her behalf plan to respond with the same brass-knuckles style that Trump has taken with his Republican opponents, aides and outside supporters said. But in their view, Trump isn’t Teflon: Republicans waited too long to go after him, and they went about it the wrong way.

“What the Republicans did was too little, too late,” said David Brock, who runs two pro-Clinton super PACs now engaged in researching and responding to Trump. “It was petty insults. It was not strategic.”

Justin Barasky, spokesman for the large pro-Clinton super PAC Priorities USA, said Republican candidates committed “malpractice” by failing to raise liabilities from Trump’s past or aggressively challenge him on offensive or incorrect statements.

Implicit in the effort is real worry about Trump’s outsider appeal in a year dominated by ­working-class anger and economic anxiety. The prospect that Trump could compete for some of the blue-collar voters who have flocked to Sanders, for instance — or to reorder the map of competitive states to include trade-affected Michigan or Pennsylvania — has prompted Clinton’s allies to leave nothing to chance.

Yet, they also believe that, although Trump has motivated a loyal plurality of supporters in primary contests, he has limited ability to expand that support once the Republican field clears. Because of the litany of controversial pronouncements he has made, they expect a Trump nomination to make it easier to rally women, Latino and African American voters to turn out for Clinton. In fact, her aides are planning for a historic gender gap between Clinton and Trump.

Given Trump’s willingness to attack his opponents — and his pivot to going after Clinton in recent days — one clear presumption has emerged about the fall contest: It will be ugly.

That’s one reason the former secretary of state plans to counter Trump with high-road substance, policy and issues, according to one senior campaign aide. The idea is to showcase what Clinton’s backers see as her readiness for the job without lowering her to what they describe as Trump’s gutter.

The aide said the campaign’s day-to-day decision-making remains focused on Sanders. But Clinton swept all five states that voted Tuesday, and Trump did well, meaning both are far closer than any competitor to securing their respective party’s nomination. Clinton is also far ahead in polling in Arizona, a large contest this week, while Sanders is expected to pick up victories in other Western states that the Clinton campaign maintains will have little effect on her lead.

A central lesson of Trump’s primary battle, the campaign aide said, is that he cannot be ignored — but also that he cannot be beaten at his own game. The key will be to maintain stature by focusing on her message of political unity and economic growth and by showing knowledge and strength on foreign issues. The aide spoke on the condition of anonymity to speak candidly about internal strategy.

“It’s kind of mutually assured destruction: Both sides line up their nukes. It’s going to be just ugly and nasty and icky,” said another Democrat with longtime ties to the Clinton family. “The winner will not be the least bad of the two. The winner will be the one in the contest of that mutually assured destruction who also has a vision and a message about the future that is both inspiring and credible for the rest of the country.”

At the same time, her infrastructure of outside supporters will be poised to respond to what they expect will be Trump’s all-out war against Clinton on everything, both personal and political. Clinton’s backers acknowledged that she is also a divisive figure and that controversies such as her use of a private email server while secretary of state will not evaporate during the general election.

“We will not make the same mistake the Republicans made” by letting attacks go unchallenged, Brock said.

Trump has repeatedly brushed off polling indicating that he would lose in a head-to-head contest with Clinton. But after his victories in Florida and elsewhere last week, he sounded like a ­general-election candidate who recognizes the challenge ahead.

“We have to bring our party together,” he said. “We have something that actually makes the Republican Party probably the biggest political story in the world.”

Trump has benefited in the primary season from the failure of Republicans to unite behind a single foil to his candidacy — and from his own strategy of picking off successive targets whom he viewed as weak. Former Florida governor Jeb Bush and retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson both made the mistake, Clinton supporters said, of trying to ignore Trump’s insults or wait out a Trump decline that never came. Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) made the other mistake of trying to use Trump’s own tactics.

“You can’t beat him by being him,” Barasky said.

In a one-on-one race against Clinton, Trump would have less room to parry or pivot the same way, the senior Clinton campaign aide said, because Trump would have one target and one target only.

Barasky and others also predicted that Trump will emerge more damaged by his primary fight than Clinton, because of the deep divisions he has caused and exploited. Sanders supporters may not like Clinton, but their distaste for her doesn’t approach the antipathy or angst that many Republican voters harbor about Trump, they said.

Trump satisfied his loyal supporters by playing a character — the bully, the iconoclast — but he turned off many in his own party in the process, said several Clinton supporters who are studying the Republican race.

In fact, they believe Trump’s own words will make one of their central objectives easy: tearing him down in the eyes of women, notably Republicans and independents.

Several outside groups — including Emily’s List, which supports Democratic women who favor abortion rights — are compiling dossiers of statements denigrating women that were taken from the candidate’s own mouth, not just in this campaign but far into his past.

“You’re a mom and you’ve got your kids sitting on the couch and you watch the nightly news and you’ve got this guy saying things as a presidential candidate that you tell your kids not to say,” said Stephanie Schriock, president of Emily’s List. “You don’t call women bimbos; you don’t say that they’re fat.”

Women, including independents who sometimes vote Republican, are going to be repulsed, Schriock said.

Trump will also be a rallying point for Clinton’s message to black voters, particularly older ones, who view Trump’s rhetoric and his raucous rallies as reminiscent of the worst of America’s past.

At an MSNBC forum Monday, Clinton said that Trump’s rallies and his exhortations to violence resemble the “lynch mobs” of the South during the Jim Crow era. The remark came after videos from a Trump rally in Fayetteville, N.C., were widely disseminated and showed a white Trump supporter punching a black protester in the face.

“The secretary has hit on a really important chord that is running through the African American community: This community is 50 years or less from the civil rights images of dogs and hoses and frightening images,” said Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Tex.), who has endorsed Clinton. “That visual of the sucker punch is going to be ingrained in us forever. You can’t take it back.”

Several pro-Clinton super PACs are compiling research on Trump from his long career in business and much shorter career in politics. The strategy is still a work in progress, and ongoing research through polling, focus groups and forensic accounting, among other tools, will continue through the spring.

Much of the work is to search for vulnerabilities that in other years, with other candidates, would have already been exploited by other Republican candidates during the primary.

Plans are well underway to present Trump’s bankruptcies and management history to voters — particularly to women and the working class.

In addition, Trump opposes an increase in the minimum wage and has proposed tax breaks for the wealthy, positions that his Republican opponents could not go after but which Clinton supporters believe will play poorly in the general election.

People who suffered from Trump’s business decisions will be featured in testimonial advertisements and media campaigns, Brock said. The media strategy is not unlike several successful efforts in 2012 to tie Republican Mitt Romney to the layoffs and business closures that his company, Bain Capital, was responsible for.

“You’re definitely going to hear from a number of people who are former customers, clients, employees, who got the short end of the stick in various ways dealing with Trump,” Brock said. “That’s fertile ground.”

Schriock also noted: “It’s about character. It all ties to what kind of character does this man have.”

And it is about money. As the general election approaches, Clinton’s allies are preparing to draw from the discontent in Republican ranks to fill her campaign coffers.

“I’ve gotten phone calls and emails from a few major Republican donors who have said, in effect, ‘I will let you know when I’m ready to have you make an introduction for me,’ ” said Andy Spahn, president of a Los Angeles consulting firm and a longtime Clinton adviser and top Democratic fundraiser. “There is certainly an element of the Republican Party, be it voters or high-net-worth donors, who are uncomfortable with what is happening.”

Other Democrats also assessed that, in addition to GOP donors, Republican congressional candidates will run away from Trump in the general election, underscoring what they see as his thin qualifications — and the danger he poses to their own political fortunes.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

As expected Hillary and the entire Democratic establishment is laying the groundwork for an all out campaign of attack against Trump. Obviously they are going to say the right things while being interviewed but it is comforting that they seem to be leaving literally no stone unturned, whether his financial and business dealings to his horrifically racist rhetoric.

gonna be a fun year :clint:

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

GOP 100 day strategy to stop Trump

quote:

But should that effort falter, leading conservatives are prepared to field an independent candidate in the general election, to defend Republican principles and offer traditional conservatives an alternative to Trump’s hard-edged populism. They described their plans in interviews after Trump’s victories Tuesday in Florida and three other states
Among the recruits under discussion are Tom Coburn, a former Oklahoma senator who has told associates that he would be open to running, and Rick Perry, the former Texas governor who was suggested as a possible third-party candidate at a meeting of conservative activists Thursday in Washington.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
There's something beautiful about Trump literally kicking the Republican establishment out of their party and forcing a establishment republican to run as an independent.

Foppery
Dec 27, 2013

DeepDickPizza posted:

Really? As a liberal, I love Duckworth, but I thought Kirk still had pretty good support? He's certainly much more palatable than most of the Republican members of Congress.

It's a presidential election year so turnout will be much higher than back in 2010 when Kirk won his seat

also, Duckworth is a fairly strong candidate and he is in all likelihood going to be sharing his ticket with Donald Trump, so prospects don't look good

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
lol yeah run Coburn that'll do it!

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
What about Jindal? He can run or be a solid VP pick!

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I really think it may be worthwhile to create a separate thread for the - purely hypothetical, obviously - Clinton-vs.-Trump GE match. Otherwise, there are still several months until the conventions when news and op-eds like this will be scattered around the Dem/Repub/USPol threads.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I really think it may be worthwhile to create a separate thread for the - purely hypothetical, obviously - Clinton-vs.-Trump GE match. Otherwise, there are still several months until the conventions when news and op-eds like this will be scattered around the Dem/Repub/USPol threads.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

DeepDickPizza posted:

He is an Illinois Senator so he has to be, but he's absolutely frothing at the mouth insane on Iran.

http://www.salon.com/2013/11/21/exclusive_gop_senator_unloads_in_private_call/

quote:

“Now I know exactly what Galileo felt like when he was dragged before the papal court,” Kirk said.

Real prima donna.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

"We're gonna run three candidates. Tom Coburn, Rick Perry, and, uh.....

Oops."

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug

In the event that they nominate a not-Trump at the convention and Trump goes third party, there's a good chance the republican party splinters.

If Trump gets the nomination and they run an establishment republican as a third party spoiler, there is no loving way the republican party recovers from that.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

UV_Catastrophe posted:

In the event that they nominate a not-Trump at the convention and Trump goes third party, there's a good chance the republican party splinters.

If Trump gets the nomination and they run an establishment republican as a third party spoiler, there is no loving way the republican party recovers from that.

So while I think the Republican Party is in worse shape now that it ever has been, don't forget that in 1980 John Anderson (R-IL) ran as a third party 'establishment' candidate when moderates freaked out over Reagan getting the nomination. And Anderson took 7% of the vote, so it's not like it had no impact.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/BKcolin/status/711896154087227392

Happy Western Tuesday Eve everyone.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

But there's so much at stake! Arizona, Utah...

That's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The fact that they didn't try to call it Super Tuesday 4 is the height of journalistic restraint.

• Locked thread