Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Maybe get a bunch of people together in your area and go in on a huge shitload of beans, otherwise just get them locally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

My local food co-op will do special orders for members, free with no shipping charge. My friend that told me about it buys specialty flour through them, and I'm sure they could get many kinds of beans as well. Might be a good option if you can find a similar deal. I also found out I can buy locally grown black beans there - I was really surprised by that because it is not a crop I've heard of people growing here.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Check out your local restaurant supply store for good deals on large quantities of beans, lentils, and split peas. Here on the West Coast we have Cash & Carry which owns for this purpose and more. $8 for 6lbs of pork sausage. Gallon of soy sauce for $7. And so on. Costco also has 25lbs of pinto beans for less than $13.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

All of the restaurant supply stores near me require proof of, well, being for a restaurant or they won't sell to you. How do you get around that?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Join the Kansas city barbecue society (kcbs), membership allows you access to restaurant depot. I joined this week and will try it out over the weekend.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

The Midniter posted:

All of the restaurant supply stores near me require proof of, well, being for a restaurant or they won't sell to you. How do you get around that?

The aforementioned Cash & Carry has no such requirement and is open to the public. I've actually never heard of that before. You'd think they'd want the business of whoever.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Disco Salmon posted:

Yup, true.

Rosemary can also grow in a pot too....I have seen several older people here (Seattle) who grow it in pots because they can't garden outside well anymore. Also, bay tree grows well in a pot...I have one outside in my front garden but the guy across the street from us has one in a large pot that he brings inside in the late fall and winter, then moves back to the deck after it gets nice again.
Rosemary in a small (sub 5 gallon) pot will be vulnerable to frost and stuff so I'd move it indoors for at least the first cold season, and even after that I'd be leery of the rootball freezing during a cold snap if I didn't transfer it to the ground. Basil and most other herbs will eat poo poo if they aren't in a large enough container to keep the dirt from freezing through.

Bay laurel trees are great and super useful but frankly, you can literally google locations of ones which pedestrians can walk up to and clip a small branch off, then just take the branch home and hang it in a warm and dry place for a week or two and put all the leaves in a sealed container. Repeat when you run out. I used to havea coworker who'd clip a 2 foot length off the tree in his backyard and bring it in for me at work when I asked, it was super nice.. But there's also literally a google map in my city for foraging stuff like herbs and spices from sidewalk-accessible and/or public locations. I used to have a house around the corner from mine which was for sale, and had huge rosemary bushes all over, so I'd just clip off a bunch now and then. I lived in an apartment near a restaurant which had huge rosemary bushes out front as well. Lavender is laughably easy to find as well.

BraveUlysses posted:

I think you'll have to keep the basil indoors for most of the year in the PNW, but rosemary will grow year round outdoors.
Get a grafted basil plant, it'll do fine until it freezes. I used to rent a house that had basil growing in one planting box and it just kept growing and coming back after every winter - never seen its like, that was one badass little plant. I treat basil like an annual though, and buy or plant a new one every year.

Ironically, outside of grafted plants, I've had the best luck with "living basil" straight from the grocery store.. I use half of it then stick the other half in the dirt and in a few weeks it's turned into a 2 foot globe of leaves, and provides enough for a couple nice batches of pesto throughout the season. Starting it from seed isn't so successful imho, my dad always does this and he has to make up for the lack of size by planting like 60 seeds and letting them grow amok.

A Bag of Milk posted:

Neighbors, I live in Seattle as well, and at my house we have a bush of basil growing out front that has survived the winter just fine. I have no secrets for what makes it grow well though. I just let it do its own thing. The sunlight might help a lot.

I've spend the last few months reading through this thread and have compiled many of the recipes and tips, which I am in the process of formatting and printing out to keep in a binder. I hate using a phone or laptop for reference when cooking. This way I can also write notes directly on the page. I've cooked my whole adult life, but I've gotten much better over time. I'd like to thank the posters of this thread for inspiring me to improve. I also spend as much on food for my girlfriend and I as I used to spend on just myself and eat much better. Rent went up another 20% this year, so saving money elsewhere is truly a godsend.
If you're into investing a little, get a three-ring binder with those plastic page sleeves.. You can use overhead markers to write notes on your recipes and then wipe them away later, and it'll also keep grease from spattering on the pages and making them all gnarly.

The Midniter posted:

Cash&Carry is kind of a weird, oldschool, west coast amalgamation of Costco and a Dollar Store. You can get sleeves of paper or waxed paper cups for coffee and soda, paper plates, bulk tea, coffee, etc.. Basically everything you'd need to cater an event or supply a food cart, etc. I occasionally buy sleeves of coffee cups for my aunt, who lives on the res and sells jams and barbecue sauces and coffee and pastries at tribal gatherings and such. I dunno if I'd buy edibles from there, but that's because I can find better quality ingredients elsewhere - although if it was for selling to the public and not consuming myself, I probably wouldn't bat an eye.

I'm not surprised that some restaurant supply places want only pros coming in (I'm gonna assume they want to either be dealing with POs for payment and freight truck sized orders, or specialty stuff for high end restaurants) but there's a restaurant supply place 5 minutes from my house that has no such qualms.. Need an industrial-sized mixer or hood fan? Cool! Bring your own truck, they'll provide the forklift!

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 14, 2016

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

The Midniter posted:

I lucked out and found a place open to the public here. Been a while since I was in restaurant depot or there, so not sure how price compares, but such places exist.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
It's the end of the month so I've been stretching things and tonight I sort of came up with something that's not too bad.

1 cup brown/wild rice, cooked with 1 cube bouillon or equivalent for salt+savory
1 shredded carrot
1-2 leaves of shredded kale (I mainly hate kale because it's hip and usually overused and takes too much :effort: to chew imho, but drat it owns in pilafs etc), but it's usually cheap and pretty healthy if you don't overdo it. You want it for the chew, not to add bulk.
1 cube of bouillon, or some chicken/beef/etc stock.
a couple ounces of finely chopped bacon - preferably extra fatty ends - you want it for grease and savory, not for the meat necessarily. Don't waste your eatin' bacon on it though, cut the fatty ends off your good bacon, and use it instead.
chives or green onion helps (if you can buy dried chives in bulk, they weigh almost nothing so a nice bag-full of dried chives might cost 50 cents or less)

Cook the rice until it's al dente or even fully cooked (with the bouillon cube), then throw it into a strainer and cool it off, let it sit and dry for a couple minutes.. Give it a good shake or two to get rid of the excess water.

Toss the bacon into a skillet, cook it up until it's all very well-done, to get all the grease you can out of it. Then, toss in the kale and carrots, stir them around for a few minutes until they get nice and warm, then throw in the rice. Keep moving it, keep it on medium-low or low heat, covering helps a little. Maybe throw in a couple ounces of your pabst while you're at it. Keep at it for a couple minutes, once it starts sizzling you're golden, move it around for a couple minutes while you watch netflix, then serve with whatever else you have laying around.

I served this with chicken mashed potatoes - my personal "recipe" - buy a $5 pre-cooked chicken at the store, tear all the meat off it while it's still warm from the store, and store it in fridge, (`toss the bones into a bag and freeze em for stock later - use handfuls of pre-shredded chicken in everything you cook for the next week,) make some mashed potatoes and toss in some chives or garlic if you have them, and use a bit of lovely winco gravy with a touch of flour to thicken the gravy for a side, and it's really killer.

Fried mashed chicken potatoes for breakfast, too!

(yes, I know I "invented" a pilaf or whatever, but it's cheap, its tasty, and it's p healthy)

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 29, 2016

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
It's summer in :australia: so I've been making salads for lunch the last few weeks:

- Celery, chopped
- Capsicum, chopped
- Carrot, grated
- Spring onion / scallions, finely chopped

Chop your veggies up and mix them together in a big bowl then make some vinaigrette:

- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. mustard (I use whole grain but you can use Dijon)
- 1/2 cup of olive oil (I probably don't use this much)

Mix the vinegar and mustard together in a bowl or measuring jug then slowly add the olive oil while you whisk the mixture. I don't like to use too much oil, just enough to balance the taste of the vinegar.

Pour the dressing over your veggies and stir thoroughly then stick your bowl of salad in the fridge and serve some for lunch each day. You can also add pasta (shells or orzo), beans, or boiled potatoes to bulk out your salad if you want. I normally make enough for three days at a time as it keeps quite well.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Are there any posts in this thread that have a good list of either what kind of staple foods to get or easy and quick recipes to try? There's plenty of stuff scattered, with a fair amount of repeats, but I'm not spotting a good list. Coming up with exactly what to shop for and how to use it is a big hurdle for me since in the past I've mostly stuck with poo poo that came in a box.

To contribute, you can get deli containers really cheap off amazon. Here's an example for less than 50 cents per.
http://www.amazon.com/Reditainer-Ex...+food+container

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
So the wife and I got a pressure cooker a month or so ago and we really like it. I mainly use it to cook meats and rice but I'm trying to eat more vegetables and I was wondering if any of you guys had some good ideas for relatively healthy sauces to pair with steamed veggies like carrots, potatoes, and broccoli. Thanks!

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Start with lemon juice and salt.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Parts Kit posted:

Are there any posts in this thread that have a good list of either what kind of staple foods to get or easy and quick recipes to try? There's plenty of stuff scattered, with a fair amount of repeats, but I'm not spotting a good list. Coming up with exactly what to shop for and how to use it is a big hurdle for me since in the past I've mostly stuck with poo poo that came in a box.

To contribute, you can get deli containers really cheap off amazon. Here's an example for less than 50 cents per.

Budget Bytes (budgetbytes.com) has a great getting started post. I also frequently read The Kitchn (thekitchn.com) because they'll have good kitchen starter kit ideas as well as good splurge items. They're very clickbaity on Facebook sometimes though.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Sizone posted:

Thanks! I just cooked a pot of potatoes and carrots using a half cup of rice vinegar and half cup of water. After they cooked I mashed them up a little, sprinkled some garlic salt, black pepper, and ground cumin in the bowl and they turned out really great.

I'll try lemon and salt tomorrow.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Unzip and Attack posted:

So the wife and I got a pressure cooker a month or so ago and we really like it. I mainly use it to cook meats and rice but I'm trying to eat more vegetables and I was wondering if any of you guys had some good ideas for relatively healthy sauces to pair with steamed veggies like carrots, potatoes, and broccoli. Thanks!

Sizone posted:

To expound upon this, veggies should have light sauces that let the flavor of the vegetables shine through. Salt and lemon juice both help to enhance and intensify flavors while also being very light themselves, so they pair well with veggies. Use spices as needed/wanted to add extra flavors. The basic layout tends to be acid + seasoning + spices. Lemon juice + salt, balsamic vinegar + salt/pepper + garlic, terriyaki + ginger + a bit of peanut oil, etc. etc.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Eponine posted:

Budget Bytes (budgetbytes.com) has a great getting started post. I also frequently read The Kitchn (thekitchn.com) because they'll have good kitchen starter kit ideas as well as good splurge items. They're very clickbaity on Facebook sometimes though.
Thank you!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Eponine posted:

Thank you for the links, Budget Bytes is my new jam. Gonna make this tonight: http://www.budgetbytes.com/2016/01/cheesy-vegetarian-chili-mac/

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Parts Kit posted:

This is what I usually keep in my pantry:

- 10lb sack of basmati rice (lasts a couple of months)
- dried black-eyed peas (don't need to be soaked before cooking)
- dried red lentils (don't need to be soaked before cooking)
- dried kidney beans or cannelloni beans (soak overnight then rinse before cooking)
- dried pasta or egg noodles
- dried vermicelli (rice noodles)

Spices:
- cumin
- paprika
- sumac
- ras el hanout mix
- cayenne powder
- dried chilli flakes
- stock cubes or jar of stock powder

Sauces:
- soy sauce
- rice wine vinegar
- fish sauce
- oyster sauce
- chilli sauce
- Worcestershire sauce
- white vinegar
- white wine vinegar
- virgin olive oil (for salads and to make vinaigrettes)
- canola oil (for cooking)

Meat:
- ground beef
- chicken thighs

Vegetables:
- onions
- garlic
- ginger
- fresh chillies
- celery
- spinach leaves
- carrots & zucchinis (can be grated and used to pad-out dishes or mixed with ground beef to make meatloaf)
- tinned tomatoes
- bell peppers

I'm lucky to live in a neighbourhood with a bunch of Lebanese grocery stores and a large Asian supermarket so I can get dried beans and spices for next to nothing (dried beans average about $2 a pound) and seasonal vegetables and meat are priced lower than at the supermarket. Obviously you don't have to buy everything from this list at the same time but if you work on making meals with some combination of beans or meat + carb + vegetables + sauce and learn to cook enough for a couple of meals then portioning stuff out and either freezing it or leaving it in the fridge for the next day you should find you can eat quite cheaply. You can also try things like making your own bread or pizza dough, making large batches of hamburger patties or dumplings and freezing them (uncooked) then you can just grab enough for one meal out of the freezer each day. It really depends on how much time you have to dedicate to cooking and how much space you have in your pantry / fridge / freezer.

fake edit - if you check my post history in this thread you should see a few recipes I've posted that use stuff on this list :shobon:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Parts Kit posted:

This is a great post, however I have no idea what "el hanout" is for instance though, so take some of the stuff with a grain of salt for your own personal limitations and tastes until you get going.

I for instance keep at least 2 lbs of jasmine rice, brown rice, pinto beans, split peas on-hand at all times, along with a couple of frozen ham-hocks or similar in the freezer, among other things. I cook 4 or 5 cups' worth of dried beans (that's two pots of beans, using more than 2 or 3 cups gets to be annoying to store and it's easier to burn when you've got too much) every month generally (soak 12 hours, drain and rinse, cover beans with an extra half-inch of clean water, then add half a lb of one of those cheap $0.98 chorizo chaws or some frozen ham-hocks) thrown in, with cumin and an onion and a cube of boullion, cook until al dente, then add salt/boullion/salty-hot-sauces to taste, to prevent the beans from getting tough skins by adding salt too early... That's mainly it, aside from adding some paprika and other stuff to give it a kick ). I always have a large pack of small corn tortillas on hand to use like pita bread or similar, flour are more expensive and getting your beans to the right thickness for burritos takes practise..

Buy a bag of flour and keep it in a ziploc, it somes in handy in small amounts and eventually you might want to bake, but otherwise it will last your for eons using a tablespoon here and there as a thickener, etc (also, cornstarch, molasses, honey, baking powder, brown sugar, assorted baking goods...) If you've got clean+sterile cornstarch, it can also literally be a lifesaver if you get a really bad cut - I saved myself an ER visit by clotting my cut-off thumbtip with cornstarch once, it worked like a dream after topping it off with a tight bandage, but save that for emergencies like "oh gently caress I'm going into shock", not your day to day cuts.

Cheap-rear end cider vinegar *for cooking and cleaning, and the like, will go a long way.. If you get a stank pot after scrubbing, or a nasty-smelling water bottle, you can boil some vinegar and water in the pot while covered or just use 1:10 in the water bottle, then rinse it a couple times and it'll be like new. Vinegar mix also kills mildew and its smell without damaging anything if, say, your car trunk springs a leak and you don't notice for a month.. It'll smell like vinegar for a day or two but then vanish magically and take all the other odors with it. :unsmith: )

Staples are tough to learn though though, because there's definitely a learning curve on a lot of stuff (like rice -I try to stick to brown rice and jasmine, because I'm better at not ruining them than basmati or pearl rice, for instance. I threw some cooked brown rice into a potato-leek soup I made a few days ago and it really added a bunch of bulk without me wanting to toss some garlic bread or biscuits *not cookies, biscuits!* or some other bread carbs as a side).

#1: Spices. Figure out where to buy them locally, what you need for what you like to eat, and probably get a spice rack or something then fill it up.

I use my late grandmother's spice-rack that I spent many hours sitting on a stool beneath in her kitchen, watching her cook while I was a kid. When she and my grandfather passed, it was one of the two things I requested from their estate, and it turned out my dad gave it to her as a gift when he was in high school. :3:

But for real, just get all the spices you can as cheap as you can. Try and avoid pre-packaged spices because they tend to be even older than usual. There are also some things such as dried chives which are amazingly helpful to have laying around when they're out of season, and my main reason to stock up a spice rack (besides how awesome it is to have and play with) is literally to save those late-evening "oh gently caress I don't have X :baw: now I've got to rush to the store halfway through my recipe," instances, which happen all too often. Once you fill the rack, you can move up to fancier spices as you go through them and learn what you like but seriously, one day you're gonna be sooooo happy that you have celery seed laying around, or dried rosemary or powdered ginger ( :barf: but it's still loads better than NO rosemary or ginger!) etc..

Here's a photos of my spice rack - because it's got a killer cheat-sheet on the front and on the inside, which were super useful until I got a feel for what certain things were missing.. Please don't take it as gospel though because it's from like the 50s or 60s so some of the combos are probably either awful or pedestrian, but most are helpful.. The images are huuuge because I didn't want them to be illegible.. Also note that I *mostly* color-coded the spices versus mixes with non-stick painter's tape (ie celery seed vs celery salt, etc) which is really helpful, and I've got probably four times the spices laying around in a cupboard which either came from gifts, random impulse-purchases and the like, or sometimes I was just too lazy to move them from one container to another..

Money shot, half-stocked - there's probably 8 jars in the cupboard that I use every day. I used to keep my :420: in there as well - none of my sketchy roommates every even considered looking for weed in there with my herb!)

:siren: And always label+date your spices - even when they're left in the bulk bag! :siren: even if you put most of your powdered ginger into a jar somewhere, take the extra few seconds while you're still at the store to label the little twisty-ties with at least WHAT IT IS, because one day you'll be struggling to figure out which vaguely-tannish bag is cumin, or ginger, or garlic powder, or coriander... And you're probably going to lose that fight or end up tastingeating small pinches and gagging and still not being able to figure it out....

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 15, 2016

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I discovered the joy of pressure cooking beans. Dried beans to perfectly cooked in 30 minutes start to finish.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Same, but cheap st patricks day corned beef. Cooks it in an hour instead of many.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

silvergoose posted:

Same, but cheap st patricks day corned beef. Cooks it in an hour instead of many.
Going to the grocer after St Patty's day, you can often find corned beef briskets for closeout prices. Buy a couple and freeze them.

I made a great carbonara last night, using bacon and some corned beef. Wish I'd had some chives though.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

coyo7e posted:

Going to the grocer after St Patty's day, you can often find corned beef briskets for closeout prices. Buy a couple and freeze them.

I made a great carbonara last night, using bacon and some corned beef. Wish I'd had some chives though.

You're using that weird version of "couple" that means "ten", right?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

silvergoose posted:

This is why God invented chest freezers. And for hams after next Sunday. Stock up kids.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

silvergoose posted:

I don't have that big of a freezer. I also don't eat much beef. Too expensive. My freezer's full of frozen soups, frozen chicken stock, frozen fruit from the garden, and elk and salmon and venison. No room for 30 lbs of something I only want to eat maybe 3 times a year.

Also one totino's triple pepperoni pizza, because those things are like the taco bell of frozen pizzas.. So good, even though it's so bad.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Ron Jeremy posted:

This is why God invented chest freezers. And for hams after next Sunday. Stock up kids.

Yes. We do in fact have half a dozen in our chest freezer.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Ron Jeremy posted:

My biggest life issue right now is that I cannot fit a chest freezer anywhere in my house. Instead I am in a constant race to eat things from the freezer as fast as I put things in.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

detectivemonkey posted:

Instead I am in a constant race to eat things from the freezer as fast as I put things in.

Not a bad problem to have.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
A lot preferable to the "oh god what am I going to do with all of this 3 year-old freezer burnt meat?"

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

coyo7e posted:

A lot preferable to the "oh god what am I going to do with all of this 3 year-old freezer burnt meat?"

Vaccuum seal bro.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
It won't really save you money (other than maybe tax write-offs), but your local animal shelter will probably take freezer burnt or out-of-date frozen meat. Our local shelter is always asking for it.

In terms of in-date frozen meat, I used two chicken breasts I found this morning from a few weeks ago and made a copy cat recipe of one that I've ordered at a local restaurant: chicken curry with wild rice. What I really liked about the one I had at the restaurant was that it was a very creamy sauce, so I deglazed the potato and sweet potato with chicken broth and then added in 1/4 cup of flour after a few minutes of cooking but before adding the coconut milk and curry mixture. I had three servings with 1.5 cups of rice, and then another two servings of curry for later in the week. If I grab another chicken breast, I still have enough ingredients to throw together another round later in the week, maybe with some spinach.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Potato Leek soup recipe:

1 bunch leeks (2 or 3 nice-sized leeks, pull away the outer layer, split down the middle and rinsed, then chopped finely - skip the darker green portions as they don't cook down as well.)
3 or 4 medium to large potatoes, peeled and diced.
1 can beer (or a half can of good beer)
chives/green onions
garlic
1 can of chicken/beef/etc stock/broth
couple boullion cubes
a couple ounces of finely-chopped bacon or similar
couple bay leaves
parsely, thyme, rosemary if you've got them available.
piece of celery if you happen to have it around but not entirely necessary.

finely chop the leeks (you can use a food processor but if they are fully cooked and you didn't cut up the inedible parts, it doesn't matter really). Dice up the potatoes - smaller the better. Toss in a half or full beer, a couple boullion cubes, and some stock, and all the herbs - toss in the bacon/etc anywhere along this process (you can even cook it in the bottom of the pan first but I drain off the grease and move them into the pot after). Add water until it's all covered. Cook for a couple hours, make sure to taste the broth occasionally and add what you feel is necessary, as needed.

Once it's cooked down and the potatoes are falling apart, the leeks will also be cooked through to the point they are almost jelly, you're golden. Hit it with a potato masher if you like, or skip that. Either way just add in a cup or two of milk/yogurt (yogurt adds a lot tangier flavor but it's really good as well), mix it until it gets all thick and creamy after a couple minutes, and serve. I like to put shredded parmesan on top as a garnish, and serve with garlic bread or english muffins or a sourdough.

This is a tough recipe to mess up if you take a sip from it every 20 or 40 minutes, and don't keep it on the heat too long after finally adding the dairy. I have yet to see a need to throw in butter but if you want a :btroll: recipe you're welcome to add it as well - I am not super fond of butter, it's not super healthy, and it's usually overused in my experience.

If the bacon wasn't cooked to overdone, there may be wiggly chunks of fat throughout. I hate that texture of biting into fat, so I err on the sid eof "cook the bacon till the fat is solidified, it'll reconstitute and soften up again after being tossed into a soup for 2 hours."

Easy as hell recipe, most of the ones online call for 20+ ounces of chicken broth or the like, which is both expensive and and lazy. Maybe one can of broth, then top off the rest of the fluids to taste with boullion cubes, water, and a beer, and spices.

Rurutia posted:

Vaccuum seal bro.
Yes, the best solution to "I'm poor and have issues cooking affordably," is to of course buy a $100+ device with expensive refills. :ughh:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 21, 2016

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
You can get the generic refills for super cheap. I used to wash and reuse bags (appropriately labeled) too if things are super tight. It's an investment but I sincerely think it's a worthwhile one. It's not just for meat, but also bulk making meals for the future to prevent busy times tempting you to eat out. My last one lasted me 7 years and you can buy them cheaply second hand or through other sources. The cheapest models usually work perfectly fine and are under 100 new. Further, a lot of people in this thread are here for frugal tips and aren't actually in poverty.

Cheap bags: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01B3...LH9L&ref=plSrch

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 21, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I entirely sick of gimmicky kitchen devices, they're mainly unnecessary, expensive, take up tons of kitchen/pantry space when not in use, and don't get used enough to care about unless you'rebuying dozens of pounds of meat at a time. I have a food processor I almost never use, a blender I only use for baking (that I've done quite well without, until I got one as a gift for Xmas.. Only used it twice), and a lot of knives and spatulas and wooden spoons. Just start shopping intelligently and stop buying bulk portions of poo poo you can't eat quickly enough.

If you feel the need to drop money on hugely-wasteful non-recyclable poo poo like vacuum seal freezer bags well, good for you but don't pretend like it's necessary or even a time saver. Stop shopping at Costco unless you've got a family of five to feed, or a food truck. Or just go to the costco "tips" thread instead, where everybody will :fap: at the idea of vacuum-sealing all of their pre-made, frozen chicken-parm so they can throw the big bag out.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
??? Dude calm down. I'm just saying that there's an alternative to freezer burnt meat if you're stocking up in sales and don't want to beast it all. I don't even know how to respond to your post really. :wtc: no one is telling you to buy one if you wouldn't use it??

I even said I wash and reuse bags. I also recycle them when they wear out???

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

coyo7e posted:

Yes, the best solution to "I'm poor and have issues cooking affordably," is to of course buy a $100+ device with expensive refills. :ughh:

If it helps you avoid 5 or 6 trips to a restaurant to eat then it will pay for itself. Calm down dude.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Lmao you can find cheap Foodsavers on Craigslist every day of the week.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

coyo7e posted:

non-recyclable poo poo like vacuum seal freezer bags
plastic has been recyclable for a while, welcome to 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

It should be pointed out that the vacuum sealer constantly recommended in the sous vide thread is a bargain bin $30 rival sealer. I don't buy much in bulk, but sometimes I do things like take apart a full chicken and it turns out having a way to store that is handy.