Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Krinkle posted:

I get that joke but for all I know lady death is wild about deadpool and thanos is all shaking his fist at him impotently and that's a running joke for some reason?

Thanos made deadpool immortal so Death can't be with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

(five seconds ago) haha these are all good jokes. I get all these jokes.
(after googling it) oh holy poo poo its real

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Krinkle posted:

I get all my deep cut knowledge about comic books from having other people give me the cliff notes versions but are you talking about thanos? I thought while he was wild about lady death she didn't give a gently caress about him which is why he killed so many people to woo her? If there's a love triangle thing going on, who is the 4th wall breaking marvel character?

Thanos loves Death (and gets the Infinity Gauntlet basically to impress her] but she loves Deadpool. Her feelings are confused and strained because he cannot die.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

You always want what you can't have. Makes sense.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I like that analogy I heard somewhere else on SA about how Thanos tries to impress death by killing shitloads of people, which he thinks is like giving her flowers but it's more like a boquet of paperwork because that's like, her job.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

That's really great and very fitting.
Thanos is a chump without the gauntlet. Apocalypse and Mr. Sinister should team up and slap him around.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Inzombiac posted:

That's really great and very fitting.
Thanos is a chump without the gauntlet. Apocalypse and Mr. Sinister should team up and slap him around.

Not really he took out the avengers a couple of times and only were able to beat him with help from captain marvel or Adam warlock.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Light Gun Man posted:

I like that analogy I heard somewhere else on SA about how Thanos tries to impress death by killing shitloads of people, which he thinks is like giving her flowers but it's more like a boquet of paperwork because that's like, her job.

No she told him to kill half of everybody to prove his love for her, he took a shortcut by getting his hands on the infinity gauntlet and wishing half of everybody dead. This doesn't impress her so he decides to turn of omnipotence for a giant melee against all the still living super heroes.

This is the movie they are making next.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Throwing Turtles posted:

No she told him to kill half of everybody to prove his love for her, he took a shortcut by getting his hands on the infinity gauntlet and wishing half of everybody dead. This doesn't impress her...

Just like a woman; am I right fellas?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Throwing Turtles posted:

No she told him to kill half of everybody to prove his love for her, he took a shortcut by getting his hands on the infinity gauntlet and wishing half of everybody dead. This doesn't impress her so he decides to turn of omnipotence for a giant melee against all the still living super heroes.

So basically she was brushing him off to start with, sounds like. "Yeah sure, I'll go out with you...when you kill half the universe"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
My favourite Thanos/Death moment was when she appeared to him in the form of a young girl and talked to him about her needs and desires and he got all embarrassed because she looked like a little child.

Then she said, "I am Death. I am not of comfort." and left.

Because the guy who straight out murdered half of the entire universe is less creepy than a lot of the people who read comics.

EDIT: Thanos: Not a pedo.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Throwing Turtles posted:

Death is truly the Shania Twain of the Marvel Universe.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
My very rational irritation with this discussion is that Marvel's Death is just Death while "Lady Death" is someone else entirely. Marvel's death might be a skeleton with boobs, and Thanos might dig skanky goth chicks, but I don't think he'd be into Lady Death.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
The only Death that matters is the Death of Discworld.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Grendels Dad posted:

My very rational irritation with this discussion is that Marvel's Death is just Death while "Lady Death" is someone else entirely. Marvel's death might be a skeleton with boobs, and Thanos might dig skanky goth chicks, but I don't think he'd be into Lady Death.

Yeah, what the guy below you said, if I don't specify death what is a lady I get real confused. I didn't mean to step on other intellectual property.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Throwing Turtles posted:

Half was the male side of the universe I presume, so he can say he's the last man alive. And then she says she still wouldn't date him?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Comstar posted:

Half was the male side of the universe I presume, so he can say he's the last man alive. And then she says she still wouldn't date him?

I was hoping it was DC that had the male embodiment of their universe so I could have made a "kill the competition for me" joke but nope, that's Marvel https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternity_%28comics%29

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

syscall girl posted:

Raph was always my favorite.

Giant stick? Two swords? Stupid loving numchucks?

He was also probably the worst choice on the NES and arcade games but w/e

This is truth.

Leonardo worst turtle. Raphael best turtle. Second and third place are debatable.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Gorilla Salad posted:

Comic book artists, "kids are just real short adults right?"

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

rydiafan posted:

This is truth.

Leonardo worst turtle. Raphael best turtle. Second and third place are debatable.

Raphael sucks because he's a black hole of "I'm mad and don't take orders! something happened, I've learned my lesson!" that never sticks and repeats like 50 times per series and has eaten up what sure seems like a good 50% of the franchise's overall runtime.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Leonardo is the best turtle.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Krinkle posted:

Yeah, what the guy below you said, if I don't specify death what is a lady I get real confused. I didn't mean to step on other intellectual property.

I didn't mean to come off harsh, it's just that the memory of Lady Death is extremely painful to me.

Also, Leo and Raph are the worst Turtles because they have knives/swords and only bludgeon people with them. Donatello is clearly the best because his weapon was made for bludgeoning and he uses it accordingly.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

What are the qualifications upon which we are judging "best?"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

oldpainless posted:

What are the qualifications upon which we are judging "best?"

The ones I make up as I go along.

i.e. the best ones.

edit: we are still on page 300, what's your IIMM of 300?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

edit: we are still on page 300, what's your IIMM of 300?

drat it Leonidas, just give the cripple a spear and put him in front. He gets to feel like part of the team, he dies gloriously, he's out of your hair.

Edit: In the sequel the woman who wants revenge against the people who murdered her family, enslaved her, and have gang raped her since she was like 5 is supposed to be the villain, as is the man who rescued her.

rydiafan has a new favorite as of 15:01 on Mar 21, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Gaunab posted:

Donatello is the best turtle.

Michelangelo is second-best. Cowabunga dude!

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

rydiafan posted:

drat it Leonidas, just give the cripple a spear and put him in front. He gets to feel like part of the team, he dies gloriously, he's out of your hair.

Edit: In the sequel the woman who wants revenge against the people who murdered her family, enslaved her, and have gang raped her since she was like 5 is supposed to be the villain, as is the man who rescued her.

Thank you. Bugs me everytime I see that movie.

Not to mention the very first fight scene after Leo(not the turtle) talks about a phalanx formation, they immediately break ranks to slo-mo fight individual soldiers...

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The thing that bugs me about the 300 sequel is that the whole point of the big Magneto spear throw was to show that Xerxes isn't actually a god and that he can bleed. Then in the prequel part they reveal that no, he is in fact magic because he bathed in a puddle and grew hairless and huge. I also thought it was stupid how because Peter Mensah starred in a popular show in between movies they gave him a bigger part, even though in the first movie he was just an emissary.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Comic book artists, "kids are just real short adults right?"

They took their inspiration from pre-Renaissance paintings:

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
The worst baby-man I've seen in comics has to be in the (sort of)recent Spider-Verse series.
I was flicking through a random issue at a friends and thought the whole time that there was a cosmic/weird universe tiny guy, took me until the end to realise that nope it's meant to be a kidnapped baby....

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gorilla Salad posted:

My favourite Thanos/Death moment was when she appeared to him in the form of a young girl and talked to him about her needs and desires and he got all embarrassed because she looked like a little child.

Then she said, "I am Death. I am not of comfort." and left.

Because the guy who straight out murdered half of the entire universe is less creepy than a lot of the people who read comics.

This version of Death just feels like a ripoff of Gaiman's Sandman's Death, although it possibly pre-dates it. The white-on-black font also feels like a Sandman ripoff, but again probably predates it?

Screaming Idiot posted:

The only Death that matters is the Death of Discworld.

Death as a stand-in Hogfather is the best thing ever. (See: worst, lol)

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Who What Now posted:

It's not like it'd be all that hard to make. Just pound the roundy parts flat and bing bong bing you got yourself a real slicey-stabby piece of work on your hands.

Right. If I'm not mistaken, though, there's not much, if any, historical precedence for them. So it just seems weird to me that an ancient Japanse cult would use them, when everything else is traditional.

e: and after finishing the thread, there was a picture of bladed sai. Although it looks like they could be stabbing ones, just made with a + shaped blade, but as someone else said, comic book!

syscall girl posted:

Raph was always my favorite.

drat straight!

Joey Freshwater posted:

He's currently standing on a rooftop listening to conversations going on in a room inside a building a couple hundred yards away. I can't imagine he wouldn't have noticed the heartbeat of someone sitting 10 feet away.

I get it, they need his power to work when/how they need it to, it just annoyed me.

And what happened to his radar sense? It's like they completely forgot about it, yet he can climb and jump around, hit objects with the baton cable, stuff like that. It was just a little weird that he got his rear end completely handed to him if he couldn't hear anything.

10 Beers has a new favorite as of 16:19 on Mar 21, 2016

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It is very irritating to me that people can watch the 300 movies and not understand that the hypocrisy of the characters is intentional. They are deliberately over the top propaganda movies and you're not supposed to fall for it. The narration is always in character, from biased perspectives. In the first one the entire movie is revealed to be a story that one Spartan tells to the army just before another battle, intended to rile them up.

When Spartans shout about freedom you are supposed to laugh at the funny joke.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

sassassin posted:

It is very irritating to me that people can watch the 300 movies and not understand that the hypocrisy of the characters is intentional. They are deliberately over the top propaganda movies and you're not supposed to fall for it. The narration is always in character, from biased perspectives. In the first one the entire movie is revealed to be a story that one Spartan tells to the army just before another battle, intended to rile them up.

When Spartans shout about freedom you are supposed to laugh at the funny joke.

Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
In that Meet The Spartans movie the joke seemed to be that the Spartans were all gay with messed up gender/social politics while in 300 the joke was that the Spartans were all gay with messed up gender/social politics and in real life the Spartans were all gay with messed up gender/social politics.

All three were funny.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

300 was a loving awesome movie

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

10 Beers posted:

And what happened to his radar sense? It's like they completely forgot about it, yet he can climb and jump around, hit objects with the baton cable, stuff like that. It was just a little weird that he got his rear end completely handed to him if he couldn't hear anything.

Wait what? his radar sense is just his other four senses working together at superhuman levels, so if you cut out hearing the other three are probably not going to give you much spatial awareness.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

10 Beers posted:

Right. If I'm not mistaken, though, there's not much, if any, historical precedence for them. So it just seems weird to me that an ancient Japanse cult would use them, when everything else is traditional.

Well yeah, but the majority of people in the west don't know jack poo poo about the historical usage of a sai*. To those that vaguely know it exists it's just a cool looking ninja weapon used by ninjas when they do ninja things, and since ninja (the sole users of sais) are elite assassins obviously it's used to stab and slit throats and poo poo. And to be fair unless you examine it up close it looks like a kickass dagger, so readers/viewers would be hella confused when someone got hit with one and they weren't bleeding.

*IIRC they were used by the equivalent of law enforcement officers as club and defensive weapon.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Joey Freshwater posted:

He's currently standing on a rooftop listening to conversations going on in a room inside a building a couple hundred yards away. I can't imagine he wouldn't have noticed the heartbeat of someone sitting 10 feet away.

I get it, they need his power to work when/how they need it to, it just annoyed me.

Ever not notice the purple gorilla? If you're distracted and not expecting something, it doesn't matter if you have super senses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Who What Now posted:

Well yeah, but the majority of people in the west don't know jack poo poo about the historical usage of a sai*. To those that vaguely know it exists it's just a cool looking ninja weapon used by ninjas when they do ninja things, and since ninja (the sole users of sais) are elite assassins obviously it's used to stab and slit throats and poo poo. And to be fair unless you examine it up close it looks like a kickass dagger, so readers/viewers would be hella confused when someone got hit with one and they weren't bleeding.

*IIRC they were used by the equivalent of law enforcement officers as club and defensive weapon.

*IIRC they were farming equipment used by militias to defend themselves and break the weapons of people trying to kill them more than actually wage war.

E: Googling though sounds like you're right and I'm wrong. Must be mixing it up with other "ninja tools".