Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Nomikos posted:

GregTech New Horizons reminder: check the worldgen config before spending hours searching for ore in the wrong dimension :shepicide:

(Contrary to the defaults I've been referring to on the FTB wiki, galena/lead is disabled in the overworld. It's also had the minimum height reduced so it's possible for it to generate in the Twilight Forest)
The best guide for finding ore is actually in-game. Hit escape and check your achievements. The Gregtech page has every single major ore listed and shows all possible dimensions, including any adjusted config settings. It doesn't show common groupings or standard byproducts (you can use this page for that) but it's a pretty good source on figuring out where to find stuff you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
^^^^^
Awesome, thanks.

...actually, it's not completely accurate. I know for a fact limonite spawns in Twilight Forest but that's not listed as one of the dimensions.

EDIT: A PSA in regards to NH and modtweaker scripts
Some of the script files were renamed or something in one of the recent updates so there are some duplicate recipes floating around. Go into your scripts directory and delete anything that's older than the newest bunch. Technic appears to re-download every script and config file whenever you update, so everything important should have the same date. Anything with an older date is, well, outdated.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 21, 2016

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Glory of Arioch posted:

playing the skymagic pack, and I got the dandelifeon automated :neckbeard:

Link to webm, gfycat cuts it off

I'm impressed! Do you have creation of the cells automated, too? How much mana does that create each cycle?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

My Ferret buisness took a sharp turn for the worst in the current economical climate. Seems placing an ME controller near the reactor totally killed my save file.

I tried to go back to the sky factory pack, but really do feel the tedium in waiting for resources (even after doubling my automatic sieves and setting up golems to tend to combustion engines).

So any good packs out there ? ><

Oh is FTB now called curse voice ? or are they separate?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Meskhenet posted:

Oh is FTB now called curse voice ? or are they separate?

Curse Voice is a new client.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Actually, I want to bring up the suggestion I made earlier again. Have you considered using Advanced Generators -instead- of Big Reactors, Taffer? It's not as binary a power solution as BR, and if you gate the materials involved someone can slowly upgrade it over a rather long time to suit their resources and needs. It's also fairly fuel-hungry when you start making it bigger and better, so there's an additional gate. As things sound now, it seems like the progression is IE water/windmill -> BR, which seems kinda lame. But going from IE basic generation to a baby's first one-turbine AdvGen is a more fluid progression.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

McFrugal posted:

Curse Voice is a new client.

another one >< is it needful to have it?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
It's a good deal better than FTB imo and I don't think there's anything on FTB that isn't on Curse. Only real downside to Curse is that I've never figured out how to download server files through it, so I still keep FTB around to download server files for things.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Serifina posted:

I'm impressed! Do you have creation of the cells automated, too? How much mana does that create each cycle?

Cell creation is automated, as is cactus production, but I don't have potato or carrot production automated yet. 10 cells create 34,200 mana, or 3.4% of a mana pool.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Black Pants posted:

As things sound now, it seems like the progression is IE water/windmill -> BR, which seems kinda lame. But going from IE basic generation to a baby's first one-turbine AdvGen is a more fluid progression.

It definitely won't be. You need the arc furnace before you can even start to make a reactor, which in itself is a very heavy resource investment, and requires strong power infrastructure to run for extended lengths of time. On top of that, I'm keeping the reactor from generating power itself, so you'll need a turbine or some other steam power generator to even utilize it.

That said, I'll look at adv generators, I've never played with it before. For the time being I've left power generation options in all the mods I have fairly unmodified so there'll be lots of different routes to take. I also want to try out Deep Resonance, I haven't touched it yet and it looks pretty nifty. I'll probably end up modifying the power options quite a bit eventually to guide players towards/away from certain things, but that'll need to come with some more thorough playtesting than I can do myself.

I want to get a server up soonish, but it could still be a couple weeks. I'm fresh at a new job and very busy, so my time is pretty limited. I'm also not stoked about renting servers again so I'm actually going to build a home server myself and run everything from that (I have Fiber so no need to worry about bandwidth issues). It'll open up some nice new possibilities as well with hosting multiple servers etc. Anyway, I'd like to do that within two weeks but it's possible that it'll take longer.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

This isn't really a question about modding so much as it is just about a mod. On my server, we're building a community space to show off the major mods in the pack and give people new to those mods something to stare at and learn about. I've started a section on Botania, and I'm having trouble coming up with a list of things to make to show off. We have Technomancy and... whatever the mod is that gives you portable tanks, so I know I want to show off how you can move mana around via tanks and conduits. I also want a greenhouse to display the various flowers, which is coming along. Beyond that though, I'm not sure what other major steps in the mod I should be showing off. What do you guys all think are the major selling points of the mod that I should be showing off to people?

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

neogeo0823 posted:

This isn't really a question about modding so much as it is just about a mod. On my server, we're building a community space to show off the major mods in the pack and give people new to those mods something to stare at and learn about. I've started a section on Botania, and I'm having trouble coming up with a list of things to make to show off. We have Technomancy and... whatever the mod is that gives you portable tanks, so I know I want to show off how you can move mana around via tanks and conduits. I also want a greenhouse to display the various flowers, which is coming along. Beyond that though, I'm not sure what other major steps in the mod I should be showing off. What do you guys all think are the major selling points of the mod that I should be showing off to people?

- Portal to alfheim
- some sort of mana lens death ray mob killer
- runic altar/botanical brewery setup, with a nearby chest filled a bunch of rods and ingredients for newbies to see
- chest filled with lots of encyclopedia botania
-basic self sustaining endoflame (or other active mana generation system
-petal apothecary with a nearby cheat of basic flower components

E: basic self sufficient farm, using hopper hocks, and pulse mana spreader firing at drum of wild, with floating hourglass timing control

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I found a minecraft skin of Reginald P Linux today so I linked it to Lowtax on Steam.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

on top of the other botania stuff it might be neat to have a chest with some of those monocle things in it so people can put them on and see the areas the flowers affect and how it all works together

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Glory of Arioch posted:

Cell creation is automated, as is cactus production, but I don't have potato or carrot production automated yet. 10 cells create 34,200 mana, or 3.4% of a mana pool.

Not bad at all. Should provide a reasonable supply, particularly once it's fully automated.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Dalaram posted:

- Portal to alfheim
- some sort of mana lens death ray mob killer
- runic altar/botanical brewery setup, with a nearby chest filled a bunch of rods and ingredients for newbies to see
- chest filled with lots of encyclopedia botania
-basic self sustaining endoflame (or other active mana generation system
-petal apothecary with a nearby chest of basic flower components

E: basic self sufficient farm, using hopper hocks, and pulse mana spreader firing at drum of wild, with floating hourglass timing control

Johnny Joestar posted:

on top of the other botania stuff it might be neat to have a chest with some of those monocle things in it so people can put them on and see the areas the flowers affect and how it all works together

Cool, these all sound good. I kinda want to make it like a museum-for-kids type thing, with resetable displays to demonstrate how things work. I know a few people would get a kick out of being able to press a few buttons and watch a mana spreader gib a creeper or something like that.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Show them the flower that eats cakes on command :)

Also like Dalaram said, drum of gathering is cool. Maybe have a Jade Amarinthus create all the flowers :P

Reactor -> Lava -> Endoflames

this works pretty well btw.

E: other cool stuff is the Starfield Generator, the little blocks that give off colored lightning arcs and the Tezu Tezu or w/e the lil ghost is called that stops the rain.

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 21, 2016

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So I've plunged into Thaumcraft in New Horizons and I have to say it's probably a good idea to get into this as soon as possible, which begins in earnest around the start of the MV tier. Once you get the MV assembler you can start making advanced Thaumcraft devices, like the alchemical furnace and alembics. It's a good idea to get a system of jars set up, and definitely a centrifuge if you can, because some sources of essentia will prove invaluable. Once you've got these you can easily produce Primal Shrooms, Arcane Roses, and other crops from Thaumic Bases. A good patch of Primal Shrooms will mean good pickup vis any time you need it, and is a great stopgap between hunting for nodes and finally bringing home/assembling your master node and inevitable Centivis system. The other crops let you farm glowstone, redstone, gold, iron, auram essentia, even golden apples and void seeds. Briars may be worth growing too -- at the cost of one phial each their flowers can be turned into stackable cures that remove debuffs when used, including most warp effects. Not sure about withering, though.

But alchemy is definitely the best addition so far. The long and short of it is that blaze powder is super effective, giving you like 24 fire and 12 magic essentia per powder, and the powder can be duplicated at a gain with pyrofluid, producing far more than you put in and requiring only the occasional bucket of lava. Boiling down blaze powder gives you magic and fire. Centrifuging magic gives you vacuous and potentia. Vacuous and fire turns logs into charcoal instantly, and you can use the leftover fire with the potentia you've got (plus some perditio which you can get from cobblestone) to make alumentum, a fuel twice as efficient as coal coke. You can also use ordo essentia (easily obtained from chiseled stone) to turn iron nuggets instantly into steel nuggets, which can be machined into ingots easily.
So basically, Thaumcraft can create both fuel and steel better than blast furnaces and coke ovens if you manage even a pretty basic setup. Hell, you can duplicate all kinds of metals, aluminum included (in a way that bypasses the EBF, even), if you can find good sources of essentia for it.

Also, getting the everfull urn means infinite water at last, though my water tower's been plenty reliable so far. There's an urn that runs off centivis to give you free lava, so I'm sure that could be exploited, too.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
just got around to building a railcraft boiler and jesus christ this thing is better than the gregtech ones by an order of magnitude. goodbye power woes!

plus it can run on compressed sawdust planks so each log is functionally six charcoal once run through the cutter->macerator->compressor chain.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
Can anyone recommend a pack that really shows off Immersive Engineering? I just went through Tame the World, and it was a bit hard on the difficulty scale and I got frustrated before I could finish the diesel generator. It doesn't necessarily have to be an HQM pack, but it does need to have mods that work together (Tame the World had some jankiness). Has anyone tried Evolving Technology or Space Astronomy on Curse?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Edminster posted:

just got around to building a railcraft boiler and jesus christ this thing is better than the gregtech ones by an order of magnitude. goodbye power woes!

plus it can run on compressed sawdust planks so each log is functionally six charcoal once run through the cutter->macerator->compressor chain.
Goddamn, how did I not know about sawdust planks until now? These are amazing.
Looks like I can skip the cutting and just macerate the logs though.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Vib Rib posted:

So I've plunged into Thaumcraft in New Horizons and I have to say it's probably a good idea to get into this as soon as possible, which begins in earnest around the start of the MV tier. Once you get the MV assembler you can start making advanced Thaumcraft devices, like the alchemical furnace and alembics. It's a good idea to get a system of jars set up, and definitely a centrifuge if you can, because some sources of essentia will prove invaluable. Once you've got these you can easily produce Primal Shrooms, Arcane Roses, and other crops from Thaumic Bases. A good patch of Primal Shrooms will mean good pickup vis any time you need it, and is a great stopgap between hunting for nodes and finally bringing home/assembling your master node and inevitable Centivis system. The other crops let you farm glowstone, redstone, gold, iron, auram essentia, even golden apples and void seeds. Briars may be worth growing too -- at the cost of one phial each their flowers can be turned into stackable cures that remove debuffs when used, including most warp effects. Not sure about withering, though.

But alchemy is definitely the best addition so far. The long and short of it is that blaze powder is super effective, giving you like 24 fire and 12 magic essentia per powder, and the powder can be duplicated at a gain with pyrofluid, producing far more than you put in and requiring only the occasional bucket of lava. Boiling down blaze powder gives you magic and fire. Centrifuging magic gives you vacuous and potentia. Vacuous and fire turns logs into charcoal instantly, and you can use the leftover fire with the potentia you've got (plus some perditio which you can get from cobblestone) to make alumentum, a fuel twice as efficient as coal coke. You can also use ordo essentia (easily obtained from chiseled stone) to turn iron nuggets instantly into steel nuggets, which can be machined into ingots easily.
So basically, Thaumcraft can create both fuel and steel better than blast furnaces and coke ovens if you manage even a pretty basic setup. Hell, you can duplicate all kinds of metals, aluminum included (in a way that bypasses the EBF, even), if you can find good sources of essentia for it.

Also, getting the everfull urn means infinite water at last, though my water tower's been plenty reliable so far. There's an urn that runs off centivis to give you free lava, so I'm sure that could be exploited, too.

Does New Horizons have a way to create snowballs? Because if so you can use the everfull urn to create infinite perdito and ignis. Not sure what you might be able to use the perdito for, but creating infinite fire from water (which you have an infinite source of) and not even dealing with adding the occasional bucket of lava (which sounds like an utter chore to handle in Gregtech/New Horizons) sounds like it would be useful for you.

It would be more useful if you were using Technomancy and could use the Alchemical Dynamo to create literally infinite power from water via cold fusion alchemy, but that requires an RF system and New Horizons by definition doesn't have an RF system. :v:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
You don't even need an everfull urn from that, you can just make a snowman and endlessly dig up the new snow that forms nonstop at his feet!

E: Also I guess you could just feed lava into the alchemical liquid boiler for direct fire essentia without needing a centrifuge. So that's infinite water and fire, if you use both. Perditio too, if you use the centrifuge on snow. And earth is the easiest thing in the world to get. Too bad there's basically no pure sources of order or air.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 22, 2016

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Vib Rib posted:

Goddamn, how did I not know about sawdust planks until now? These are amazing.
Looks like I can skip the cutting and just macerate the logs though.

oh nice; i thought you only got 4 from a macerated log. there's also an infinite iron/steel loop if you do bender->cutter->assembler into railcraft boiler tanks. Uses three iron/steel and returns six dust.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Edminster posted:

there's also an infinite iron/steel loop if you do bender->cutter->assembler into railcraft boiler tanks. Uses three iron/steel and returns six dust.

Have you actually tried that? I don't think the 6-dust recipe works. It's overwritten by the "pulverizer" recipe. I tried it in a steam macerator and a basic macerator and it just gives me 2.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

McFrugal posted:

Have you actually tried that? I don't think the 6-dust recipe works. It's overwritten by the "pulverizer" recipe. I tried it in a steam macerator and a basic macerator and it just gives me 2.

ah dang, no i hadn't; i had spotted it while i was rebuilding my steam setup and had it tucked away for testing next time I played. that sucks :/

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Is there any reason to stick around in the MV tier? I did the introductory stuff (got a turbine, battery buffer, advanced assembler and extruder to save on materials), then sidetracked with a bunch of Thaumcraft stuff, and now coming back to the tech it feels like I should just move straight on to HV, which is where a lot of important things like the Vacuum Freezer (for various high level metals and materials) and the Advanced Coke Oven (near-instant charcoal forever) seem to come in. Meanwhile MV is almost all EnderIO stuff which I don't see much of a use for in this pack, especially given how ore processing is handled. I do feel like I could just sort of beeline to HV machines and leave most of that tier behind, if I wanted. Is there anything particularly worthwhile in the EnderIO machines I'd be missing out on?
I still haven't done a bunch of the LV stuff either, for that matter, because the quest book seems to imply that's Steve's Carts territory and I never really messed with anything in railcraft outside the boilers, tanks, and ovens. I guess it might be worth it for the automated tree farming at least? I'm still doing most everything by hand.

I also noticed MV has ProjectRed logistics pipes but those always seemed like more trouble than they were worth. Maybe I'm just not spatially-minded enough for it.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I really wish the Thaumometer didn't require a diamond lens... which is made from a diamond plate... which you can only get (9 of) by putting a diamond block in a cutting machine... which costs 460k EU. I only have 400k EU in batteries. I had to wait for excess steam to build up then put batteries directly into the cutting machine to eliminate cable loss. Of course I had to leave a drained battery in my batbox so that the turbine would partially power the machine and compensate further for the 60k difference. Wound up with like 80k left in batteries because of how much power the turbine generated during the process.

Vib Rib posted:

Is there any reason to stick around in the MV tier? I did the introductory stuff (got a turbine, battery buffer, advanced assembler and extruder to save on materials), then sidetracked with a bunch of Thaumcraft stuff, and now coming back to the tech it feels like I should just move straight on to HV, which is where a lot of important things like the Vacuum Freezer (for various high level metals and materials) and the Advanced Coke Oven (near-instant charcoal forever) seem to come in. Meanwhile MV is almost all EnderIO stuff which I don't see much of a use for in this pack, especially given how ore processing is handled. I do feel like I could just sort of beeline to HV machines and leave most of that tier behind, if I wanted. Is there anything particularly worthwhile in the EnderIO machines I'd be missing out on?
I still haven't done a bunch of the LV stuff either, for that matter, because the quest book seems to imply that's Steve's Carts territory and I never really messed with anything in railcraft outside the boilers, tanks, and ovens. I guess it might be worth it for the automated tree farming at least? I'm still doing most everything by hand.

I also noticed MV has ProjectRed logistics pipes but those always seemed like more trouble than they were worth. Maybe I'm just not spatially-minded enough for it.

Automated tree farming is probably worth going into steve's carts for. Also, the SAG Mill looks like it could be optimal for a few things, like getting natural diamonds out of diamond ore. It's also theoretically an alternative to a Pulverizer for initial processing of ore- instead of a byproduct, it will just give more crushed ore... but only if you use a Tungsten Grinding Head as the grinding ball.

I made one just to get the base 25% more natural diamonds per ore because I got the machine chassis from a reward bag and well, I'm not sure there's a better way. It's either that or scour the Twilight Forest for questing rams to get diamonds from them.

Edit: OH BOY I found out something new about Gregtech that I hate. Every block that emits power does so at a loss! Basic Turbines emit 32eu/t but consume 34eu's worth of steam to do so. Battery buffers do the same thing. I measured an 11.5% loss just for using batteries. Granted, this is at the LV level. Higher voltages are less lossy, thank god.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 22, 2016

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Im playing a mod pack (called the 1710 pack) and while it has TE and Tinkers it has somehow disabled the signalum crossbow. Where would i go to re-enable that?

Ive looke din the tinkersConstruct and TinkersModules configs.

I dont actually see one for TE

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Meskhenet posted:

Im playing a mod pack (called the 1710 pack) and while it has TE and Tinkers it has somehow disabled the signalum crossbow. Where would i go to re-enable that?

Ive looke din the tinkersConstruct and TinkersModules configs.

I dont actually see one for TE

It's not added by default even with both TE and Tcon present-- the mod ExtraTiC is what adds TE metals, I think?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

McFrugal posted:

It's not added by default even with both TE and Tcon present-- the mod ExtraTiC is what adds TE metals, I think?

yeah google lead me there. Just installed that and had mystcraft bake me a loving cake.

But ive got my sig xbow now.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

McFrugal posted:

I made one just to get the base 25% more natural diamonds per ore because I got the machine chassis from a reward bag and well, I'm not sure there's a better way. It's either that or scour the Twilight Forest for questing rams to get diamonds from them.
Once you find a single diamond vein you're pretty set, though. They're not common and a little more sparse than most veins but still enough to keep you for a long while if you harvest it all.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Well I just found out that the NH devs haven't touched the thaumcraft addons at all. They only altered vanilla thaumcraft. That's why you have so much comparatively-overpowered poo poo to mess with once you reach thaumcraft.

Case in point: the devs tied thaumcraft progression to Twilight Forest progression... partially. Turns out you can just grab ANY of the addon caps and toss them on a vanilla wand core to bypass the TF gating. Or put addon caps on an addon core. Can't use addon cores with the custom versions of vanilla caps though.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

McFrugal posted:

Well I just found out that the NH devs haven't touched the thaumcraft addons at all. They only altered vanilla thaumcraft. That's why you have so much comparatively-overpowered poo poo to mess with once you reach thaumcraft.

Case in point: the devs tied thaumcraft progression to Twilight Forest progression... partially. Turns out you can just grab ANY of the addon caps and toss them on a vanilla wand core to bypass the TF gating. Or put addon caps on an addon core. Can't use addon cores with the custom versions of vanilla caps though.
Seriously? I'd looked at NEI and couldn't find any recipes the new caps worked on, but I guess they might just not have shown up. Guess I'm going to have a stopgap, then, because working up to a core capable of jarring nodes has been slow going.
Having almost never touched most thaumcraft addons, any particular cores/caps you recommend?

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

Seriously? I'd looked at NEI and couldn't find any recipes the new caps worked on, but I guess they might just not have shown up. Guess I'm going to have a stopgap, then, because working up to a core capable of jarring nodes has been slow going.
Having almost never touched most thaumcraft addons, any particular cores/caps you recommend?

I don't know the pack, but if a Greatwood Scepter is easier to make than a Silverwood Wand, use the scepter to jar nodes. It has a capacity of 75.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

Un-altered wand recipes don't show up in NEI. There are so many combinations it'd take up like an entire page with just vanilla recipes.

IIRC the Tainted Core is high capacity and fairly easy to get, but I forget how to unlock the research for it. Thauminite Caps look easy to access as well, but I have no idea what their special ability is. I'm personally going to try to avoid bypassing the progression, but I haven't even been able to get through the first floor of the lich tower. Those loving books, man. They must have 100 hp each. I'm thinking I might want to try a naked dash in to just slap down torches to reduce spawns. I'll probably want to block off the side corridors too. If spawner hardness wasn't so ridiculously high I'd try to break the spawners too...

Edit: Oh, looks like Thauminite caps are supposed to be uncraftable, but a bad config change turned them back on. Expect the next patch to make them uncraftable again. I wonder if those are the only addon caps currently craftable?

Speak of the devil, there's a new patch. Cobalt has to be smelted in the EBF now. I guess that isn't a huge deal since you don't need to level up your pick very much to make an EBF.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 26, 2016

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The Thauminite caps are craftable for sure, and I think a few others are as well. They're unstable (cause warp when used for any extended period) and honestly don't bypass much progression -- all they've really done is let me bump up to T3 wands without having to start at the very bottom and leapfrog caps. It's a pretty minor convenience at this point.

Rose Gold was hard to get. You need over 700,000 EU funneled into the EBF for it, so I made and filled 2 more medium sodium batteries for a total of 4, and when they were charged I hit the switch. Two runs of that got me 4 rose gold rings, enough to make 2 primal cores. Those got me node linking devices. So now I've dropped a single bright node into my base where I want my main Centivis station, and I'm feeding it by linking other nodes to it. The nodes wither away and pump all their essences into the original node while not changing its nature. Soon I'll have a bright node loaded with aspects - I'm aiming for 100 of each primal so I can get 10 CV per tick -- and then I won't have to worry about using these primal shrooms anymore. Once I have CV taken care of I may start jarring and collecting other nodes, to make a massive non-CV node for anything else that may use it, like the wand (and amulet) recharge station.

Those shrooms have been a huge help though, and I run through the patch any time I'm not capped out on vis. Really good for supplementing crafting and such.

Then I'm not sure where to go, with Thaumcraft, really. Most of my vis expenditure has been on crafting and getting more vis. I guess I'll just keep going up the progression, maybe aim for a better alchemical setup. Must be something to shoot for.

E: I think I'm done with patches for a while, it's getting hard to keep up and still keep my changes. Plus, unless there's a major questline expansion or something in the works, it just seems like it's more and more rules-tightening, and I don't really care about that.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 23, 2016

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Ugh, I did not notice how hard it was to get rose gold ingots. I'll have to get MV production set up, then... and get an arc furnace to recycle most of the LV battery buffers I made.

Also I'm not sure what the point of the cobalt change was. Ingots don't seem to be used for anything important, at least not at the stage I'm in. You can still put dust into the smeltery to make tcon tools out of cobalt. It WAS to keep you from jumping from copper to cobalt-- the only dust that can be put in the smeltery is tcon dust, which can't be obtained without mining tcon cobalt ore.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 26, 2016

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

McFrugal posted:

Ugh, I did not notice how hard it was to get rose gold ingots. I'll have to get MV production set up, then... and get an arc furnace to recycle most of the LV battery buffers I made.

Also I'm not sure what the point of the cobalt change was. Ingots don't seem to be used for anything important, at least not at the stage I'm in. You can still put dust into the smeltery to make tcon tools out of cobalt.
Your LV battery buffers can still be useful. Before you get your main powerline set up with an MV->LV converted to siphon off leftover power towards your old LV machines you can use your battery buffer and old turbines to keep a power flow going.

I feel like I'm missing something with the wiring. Or, more likely, it's just bad. How are you supposed to run a whole slew of machines off a single power source? If you only output 1 amp (at whatever voltage level the machines are), too many running at once are going to starve the flow of electricity and start stalling out. But if you output more, don't the machines explode? Or did they finally ease up on that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Machines have a certain capacity for voltage so if you let your setup sit they are eventually going to fill up entirely. Then you can run them usually about once or twice (or a ridiculous number in the case of lathes and making screws!) before they're going to tap your power generator. If you run them one at a time, then it's doable; I've got my starter collection of LV machines clustered around a single steam turbine and I have been able to make more stuff at reduced ingot costs with a bit of waiting in between.

The number of amps going through your wiring setup doesn't matter in the case of EXPLOSIONS. It's only the packet size being bigger than what a machine can handle that will make it blow up. So you can definitely run any number of turbines without issue.