Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Sillybones posted:

Why are ships for a game that doesn't exist 200 dollars? Why would ships for a game that does exist be 200 dollars? Who are these stupid loving arseholes? Are these the same people that buy infomercial products?

welcome to star citizen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

The Javelin costs $2500 and they put a bunch of them up for sale once in a while to "correct the number of ships to reflect distribution in the growing player base" or something like that.
I might be thinking of something else. I'm pretty sure there was an email or forum exchange posted here, where a community rep (might have been Ben himself) was thanked for "digging around" and finding an "extra" limited edition ship for a whale to buy.

Maybe I imagined it. I'm pretty sure even if I were totally blasted off my gourd I couldn't dream up something that retarded though.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Pre-Citcon 2016: CIG continues delivering PU updates with less and less "actual" content while continuing to talk up the work they're doing on Squadron 42. As we've seen with 2.3 and all of the content that was supposed to be in but wasn't, backers who are still in at this point are distracted by the volume of bullet points about fixed elevator doors and continue to call it the best game of the century. Subscriber videos continue to dole out hidden nuggets of expectation management split into as many different videos as possible. Mods on the RSI forums manage to find the "delete" button.

Citcon 2016: Now that they've actually spent some time on it, Citcon has some form of SQ42 footage. Nobody mentions the previous "no spoiler" thing. CIG begins releasing SQ42-styled "variant" tie-ins that are actually just reskinned existing ships with enough extra speed/manuverability/hardpoints to justify selling them as new ships. Since it's late in the year, they can get away with giving SQ42 Ch1 Ep1 a Q1 2017 release date without raising any eyebrows that weren't already raised. Gaming sites continue to treat CIG with kid gloves and brief references to delays and controversy are couched in optimistic articles, if they mention them at all.

Q4 2016: The PU gets a rushed 3.0 version with a planet and one landing zone in an attempt to upstage the December launch of the third season of Elite: Dangerous. Derek Smart makes a blog post about how "it's an oversized asteroid" but nobody pays attention.

Q1 2017: SQ42 does not ship, with comments being made about various blockers like "sometimes the ship wings just fall off, you can't explain that". Game developers in the thread come to the conclusion that the wonky planet physics in the PU are because CIG just scaled up an asteroid. Derek livestreams himself screaming into a pillow for an hour.

Q2 2017: SQ42 Ch1 Ep1 is released. Reviewers give it a 6/10, citing janky physics and a slow-to-start plot with contrived, one-note characters, but express hope that lessons learned by the developers will be applicable to Ep2. Every gaming site that would jump on the "kickstarter scandal - CIG fails to deliver!!!!" headline continues to take a "wait and see" approach because Star Citizen 3.5 is still in alpha. CIG begins to cut back on developers, claiming that "now that Ep1 is out, the hard work is all done and we just need to flesh out our framework with content". The PU continues to get 3.X updates that center around new guns and reskinned noodle machines.

Citcon 2017: CIG's major announcement is Part 1 of The Making of Star Citizen/SQ42. The PU itself is mentioned very briefly, but despite being on 3.7 still hasn't progressed beyond one planet, nothing is persistent, there's no economy and while there's some semblance of global instancing, any time you get more than 25 people+ships into the same area the server hard crashes. On 10FTC, croberts expresses irritation with technical limitations and utters the word "compromise" for the first time in a decade.

Q4 2017: Elite Dangerous releases a 4th season, SC attempts to counter by incrementing to 4.1 and adding a BFG to their in-game gun store for $500. Now that E:D has hit a majority of SC's non-stupid stretch goals, game journalists start actually smelling blood in the water. Articles with leading titles ending in question marks start showing up. The daily money tracker disappears forever, with Ben claiming it to be a minor web bug that they'll have fixed shortly.

Q1-Q2 2018: As the regular media starts actually removing the hands from their eyes, CIG begins to cancel/condense the subscriber video series, due in part to Sandi claiming that her "increased customer support workload" means that as much as it pains her, she can't continue being the most visible public face of a sinking ship. The entirety of the RSI forums disappears behind a "backer account only" paywall, and both those forums and the Star Citizen subreddit moderators begin purging any hint of negativity, the former in an effort to squeeze the last drops of excess whale oil out of their wrung-dry believer base, and the latter in a futile attempt to deny reality. SQ42 Ch1 Ep2-3 are released at some point but the only people who care are Chris and Ben.

Q4 2018-Q2 2019: At some point when they realize the tap has run completely dry but before they run out of funds entirely, Croberts makes a mournful pseudo-postmortem video explaining how paid shills and evil publisher PACs resulted in the "mothballing" of star citizen, at which point he disappears with sandy and ortwin with the cash buried in 80 different totally-legal LLCs. The RSI forums go offline entirely, /r/starcitizen takes a collective breath and promptly detonates, E:D and LoD compete for "most negative steam reviews received in a 24 hour period", and Something Awful disappears for a month under a sustained DDOS initiated by a million angry ex-SC backers looking for someone to blame. The Santa Monica CIG office empties overnight like it's the end of a horror movie, leaving only shredded financial reports and the word "DREAMS" smeared on the wall in what appears to be cheeto dust.

Q1 2020: Ben's Pilgrim's Cross is spotted on ebay.

This sounds like the best and more reliable feature list/timeline ever released for this game

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Sillybones posted:

Why are ships for a game that doesn't exist 200 dollars? Why would ships for a game that does exist be 200 dollars? Who are these stupid loving arseholes? Are these the same people that buy infomercial products?

First, $200 isn't all that much if you consider it's the price of three triple-A games, and I for one expect to spend much, much more than 3 * 20 hours or whatever in Star Citizen. By buying before the launch of the game you're actually getting it for a bargain price: ships will in fact be two or three times more expensive to buy in the in-game currency of the released game.

Second, the prices of the ships don't mean you can expect to get your "money's worth" for buying them or whatever - the ships are merely an o7 for supporting the game. Remember, ship sales for dollars will disappear when the game launches and every ship will be available for purchase in-game for in-game prices that make them feasible for casual/non poopsocking players to earn.

Now if you can somehow believe in both these statements simultaneously I think you'll understand the Citizenry.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Minrad posted:

welcome to star citizen

Just trying to bring us all back to baseline a little. It is easy to lose sight of just how insane this whole thing is.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

This is so good.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Sillybones posted:

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Toops posted:

I agree with these points, and I definitely may be wrong. It's possible CIG is whiplashing a bunch of ace engineers with changing requirements, and they may have to slosh through metric poo poo tons of spaghetti code. But I strongly suspect they just don't have the critical mass of top-tier engineers required to make the thing. Netcode doesn't stay broken this long. Although there's kind of a blue-collar cinderella story that people here like to indulge in (myself included) that there are great people at CIG getting squashed by the top brass, I have to suspect that most of this top talent has left the company. You can't just have a handful of rockstars and a bunch of code monkeys. The rockstars just can't keep up with all the damage.

IDK I feel a bit like I'm kicking a puppy here. But the net result is, CIG is doing really, really bad work.

Also it's fair to remember that with probably +100 programmers, it's a bit overarching to say CIG's programmers are all "good" or "bad", which you I think hit on here. CIG likely has some good programmers, a bunch of average programmers, and some real dogs as well, like any 'random' distribution. There's probably some PM or programmer rule of thumb though that says your project is only as good as your weakest programmer or something...

Also vaguely related question for Toops and the programmers in here: I've been a Project Manager for several years and my "programming background" is mostly just knowing SQL and basic database architecture, and occasionally taking a java class or learning enough VBA to do something in Excel that I couldn't otherwise do in formulas. I feel like every time I've tried to learn a little more programming so I don't feel quite as lost at times dealing with other programmers, I start by trying to find a language (I should learn Java! orI should try C++) but eventually feel like I lose the forest for the trees. Is that how you guys learned programming from a macro-level? Just picking up a language, using it, then finding another to try when you felt good with the last or found its limitations? Or is there some learning resource you had that gave you a larger birds-eye view on how to keep up with the macro trends in programming, separate from just knowing a specific number of common languages?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
I dont get all the hate.
The game is awesome and im having a blast with it.

Just yesterday I took my Python into a conflict zone teaching some independants the benefits of joining the empire, and all of a sudden Betsy goes "WARNING. CAPITAL SHIP SIGNATURE DETECTED".
A second later a blue flickering lightning ball appears, pulses a a bit and the music changes to gothic chorals and sends shivers down my spine.
And then this gigantic Majestic Class Batllecruiser translates into realspace. For a second it just sits there, as if recovering from the jump, before it unleashes blue laser beam death upon everything around it.

Then i get in close and personal with an Anaconda for some hot snake-on-snake action, we gently strip down each others shields before she rather roughly whips out her A4-plasma accelerator and what i think must have been torpedoes, cause my hull goes from 99% to "eject. eject." in a single shot.

Later that evening me and 2 friends flew a Vulture-wing into a high-res zone and i earned back my rebuy.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

In the future we can't design ships with level ground.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Hahaha loving hell. It's the F35 of spaceship JPEGs. And the F35 of spaceship games.

This is like one of those bits in superhot where the game deliberately glitches out and pushes you through a wall.

tooterfish posted:

I might be thinking of something else. I'm pretty sure there was an email or forum exchange posted here, where a community rep (might have been Ben himself) was thanked for "digging around" and finding an "extra" limited edition ship for a whale to buy.

Maybe I imagined it. I'm pretty sure even if I were totally blasted off my gourd I couldn't dream up something that retarded though.

I vaguely recall that too. And don't forget you can buy the right to purchase a Javelin if you drop $15k on the "completionist" package.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Tokamak posted:

In the future we can't design ships with level ground.

In the future we mind the pets.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Yeah I can see how some of those would outshine the Blade. Is the Starfarer on sale?

Not at the minute.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/ships/misc-starfarer/Starfarer
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/ships/misc-starfarer/Starfarer-Gemini

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Relevant:
http://youtu.be/zKICAfU6eOE

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.

Sillybones posted:

You don't understand, it's a PLEDGE. You're not JUST buying a ship for $200, you're actually paying for a ship AND pledging to pay for even more ships (as soon as you find a buyer for your house)!

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

orcinus posted:

In the future we mind the pets.

Only the finest detailing for my $125 jpg.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

People should just use a static jpg instead of a concern poll, showing 80% of people saying the thing you're talking about isn't an issue. Set it as your signature.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I can almost hear the engine scream in pain as the combined local grids that make up the ship start to phase out of existence. My heart goes out to the miserable developers that need to get this poo poo working right and still have to work on even bigger ships.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I dont get all the hate.

Just yesterday I took my Python into a conflict zone teaching some independants the benefits of joining the empire, and all of a sudden Betsy goes "WARNING. CAPITAL SHIP SIGNATURE DETECTED".
A second later a blue flickering lightning ball appears, pulses a a bit and the music changes to gothic chorals and sends shivers down my spine.
And then this gigantic Majestic Class Batllecruiser translates into realspace. For a second it just sits there, as if recovering from the jump, before it unleashes blue laser beam death upon everything around it.

Then i get in close and personal with an Anaconda for some hot snake-on-snake action, we gently strip down each others shields before she rather roughly whips out her A4-plasma accelerator and what i think must have been torpedoes, cause my hull goes from 99% to "eject. eject." in a single shot.

Later that evening me and 2 friends flew a Vulture-wing into a high-res zone and i earned back my rebuy.

The hate from SC cultists is a mixture of jealousy, shame and a small amount of genuine criticism.

Elite needs some work when it comes to missions and the metagame. But it has an outstanding flight model, gorgeous sound design and an incredible sense of scale (with or without VR). It's also technically solid and FD appear to have a sensible plan for building on the game and adding new features at a sensible pace. It is everything that Star Citizen wants to be but will never achieve.

It's loving incredible when cultists try to claim the janky broken vertical slice of Star Citizen is a "solid foundation" to build on when it's the complete opposite. The garbage they push out 30GB at a time is a precarious jumble of barely functioning code that gets more unstable with every release. It is Jenga game development that's going to waste over $100m of people's money.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

tooterfish posted:

Wing Commander is a richly simulated flight game now?

Haha, what a minge.

What he's saying doesn't even make sense. Elite was a space game — trading was a component — with horrendously complex flight controls. Wing Commander was never a sim of anything, and definitely not a rich one. The cinematic story-telling was there, true, but that's what it used as an excuse for not having much of anything else.

The disparity of gameplay between Elite and Elite dangerous is that the latter is a modern game that has been made in an era when stupefying complexity for its own sake and insta-fail punishing gameplay are no longer regarded as virtues and where multiple play styles are generally needed to keep the audience's attention. Hence why there are no three prongs where previously there were really only one. Beyond that, Elite Dangerous follows from Frontier and and First Encounters. These, in turn, follow from the original Elite. If WC had had any impact on the series, it would have been in the transition period from Elite to the Frontier games — not two decades later — and the distinguishing features of WC (cinematic presentation in the place of simulation), but none of that made it in and they are still not present in E:D. So where's the supposed influence that would make the latter impossible without the former?!

The Privateer games demonstrate the exact opposite relationship than the one he's imagining: it's an even more simplified version of Wing Commander, with Frontier's trading and progression elements (somewhat successfully) tacked on in a much smaller game universe. So if anything, it's the case that without Elite, no Privateer.

gently caress. What is it with the SC zealots? Even when they turn on SC, they can't get their facts straight about any of the games they're commenting on? Is there some kind of entrance requirement to the club that you must have no game knowledge whatsoever to enter? :psyduck:

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

EminusSleepus posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4bbi42/banned_from_cig_forums_but_i_dont_post/

A user got his whole account banned for no reason, could be CIG is banning people via ip

Told him he was banned because he was a goon/name. Should be fun.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

alphabettitouretti posted:

The hate from SC cultists is a mixture of jealousy, shame and a small amount of genuine criticism.

Elite needs some work when it comes to missions and the metagame. But it has an outstanding flight model, gorgeous sound design and an incredible sense of scale (with or without VR). It's also technically solid and FD appear to have a sensible plan for building on the game and adding new features at a sensible pace. It is everything that Star Citizen wants to be but will never achieve.

It's loving incredible when cultists try to claim the janky broken vertical slice of Star Citizen is a "solid foundation" to build on when it's the complete opposite. The garbage they push out 30GB at a time is a precarious jumble of barely functioning code that gets more unstable with every release. It is Jenga game development that's going to waste over $100m of people's money.

Absolutly, Elite is far from perfect.
I mean my loving cockpit has no clock, but theyre adding this in Engineers. Missions are getting better and better but some are still pointless or broken, and its still missing other ingame goals than "next bigger ship". And dont get me started on having more than 1 ship and moving your base of operations, loving atrocious.
But its there, its released, and im having a ton of fun in it without spending any money other than buying the game itself. Ships feel like they have the mass the are supposed to have, I faceplanted my clipper several times cause i was used to my vulture stopping when i wanted to stop and the likes.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Sillybones posted:

Commando get with the program, if you didn't spend 2500 for a javelin you're a chump.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Tippis posted:

gently caress. What is it with the SC zealots? Even when they turn on SC, they can't get their facts straight about any of the games they're commenting on? Is there some kind of entrance requirement to the club that you must have no game knowledge whatsoever to enter? :psyduck:

It really does seem as though many of them haven't played any games since Wing Commander.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

New concept art.
Odds on this ever making it into the final game? I don't know why they give a poo poo about 'realism', when garbage like this exists. Floating platforms, breathable atmosphere on a gas giant, jfc... Shipyard in atmosphere, on a gas giant with no metal. Literally the most useless place for a shipyard :psyduck:

Crusader is a massive gas giant that has been terraformed so that the atmosphere is breathable.
The planet is used as a shipyard for constructing massive ships. Landing zones are reserved for visitors and families of Crusader Industries employees as well as commercial uses.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

double post

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Darkpriest667 posted:

Commando get with the program, if you didn't spend 2500 for a javelin you're a chump.

and not a real star citizen. Only concierge and wing commanders (and above) have opinions that count.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

I'm the lovely PLATFORM kerning.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

alphabettitouretti posted:

It really does seem as though many of them haven't played any games since Wing Commander.

To be fair, there haven't been many Wing Commander games released since the last Wing Commander :shrug:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tokamak posted:

New concept art.
Odds on this ever making it into the final game? I don't know why they give a poo poo about 'realism', when garbage like this exists. Floating platforms, breathable atmosphere on a gas giant, jfc... Shipyard in atmosphere, on a gas giant with no metal. Literally the most useless place for a shipyard :psyduck:

Crusader is a massive gas giant that has been terraformed so that the atmosphere is breathable.
The planet is used as a shipyard for constructing massive ships. Landing zones are reserved for visitors and families of Crusader Industries employees as well as commercial uses.

You just wait 'til they announce the mining ops on Crusader's "surface"

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Tokamak posted:

New concept art.

This looks pretty cool TBH, but yeah :lol: at this gelling with realism and/or fidelity

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
Why do they have loving SHIPYARD CRANES on a gravity defying, floating platform?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I'm not a terraforming expert, but I would assume a gas giant that somehow had an atmosphere full of molecular oxygen would be a cough away from igniting

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
And 20th century shipping containers meant for sea faring container ships?
WTF is this poo poo?

:psyduck:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I dont get all the hate.

This is the one thing I really hate about Elite. Here I am, on an exploration trip that currently has me sitting all alone half-way to the galactic core. I haven't seen a system where anyone has been given “first discoverer” credit for over a week. I (rather stupidly) probably have enough discovery data to put me straight into Elite status once I return to civilisation. And then you people come along with these stories that I can't experience at the moment because it'll take me 10 solid hours of nothing but jumping to get back! And if I do that, I'll undoubtedly faceplant straight into a double-B0 system with a courtesy black hole that will make me go pop and lose all that juicy data, just because I didn't look before I leaped.

drat you game! Stop tempting me (and worse: stop forcing me to make B'Tak-style posts)! :argh:

Tokamak posted:

I'm not entirely sure that gravity, chemistry, and nuclear physics allow for this…
I understand that you want to rip off Bespin, Chris, but the best thing to do in that case is to just shut up and ask people to accept it rather than come up with some horrendously stupid attempt at a horrendouslier stupidifficient explanation.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

I'm not a terraforming expert, but I would assume a gas giant that somehow had an atmosphere full of molecular oxygen would be a cough away from igniting

The engine can't show you small wheels on the buggy from 30 feet away, nor constantly show the chairs in the starfarer from the same distance outside the cockpit. If they put every single developer on the Starfarer for a year I'm not sure they could fix all the clipping issues.

Star Citizen is proof that a big lie can be more believable than a small one.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Absolutly, Elite is far from perfect.
I mean my loving cockpit has no clock, but theyre adding this in Engineers. Missions are getting better and better but some are still pointless or broken, and its still missing other ingame goals than "next bigger ship". And dont get me started on having more than 1 ship and moving your base of operations, loving atrocious.
But its there, its released, and im having a ton of fun in it without spending any money other than buying the game itself. Ships feel like they have the mass the are supposed to have, I faceplanted my clipper several times cause i was used to my vulture stopping when i wanted to stop and the likes.

I'm really happy that the metagame for ED is finally getting off the ground. There are now over 200 player factions (maybe like 300+ now even? there is no official list) all concerning themselves with system, station and ground base ownership. It's slowly ramping up and the first hints of player faction vs player faction conflicts are brewing and that will be pretty interesting to take part in.

A couple edge case mechanics for the system control stuff need tweaking but overall it adds a very interesting and deep new layer to the game.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzEO019DaR8

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

You know, I was trying the tutorial the other day. The game plays smoothly for me - but the tutorial was a complete and utter lagfest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Where do they find enough oxygen to terraform the atmosphere of a gas giant? Do they strip the water, atmosphere, and process the matter of hundred/s of rocky earth-like planets? Then come up with some way to ship this insane amount of material to a gas giant...

And that is ignoring the fluid dynamics. Which I'm pretty sure a nitrogen/oxygen mixed atmosphere with a hydrogen core is physically impossible. I'm still sitting here in awe at how they thought this was a cool idea that might exist in the future.

Don't worry though the anti-grav thrusters and atmosphere dynamics are going to be accurately simulated.

• Locked thread