Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The "next level guide" is basically just looking up stuff on the wiki

You should probably look up every animal you run into to find out they have any fun surprises for you, like how keas steal stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

i've been meaning to get around to writing a big dwarfopedia database on creatures and other look-uppy poo poo for the help viewer

but i always figure that eh, popping into the wiki is probably quicker and the thought peters out like a fart in Sahara

Kallev
Nov 16, 2014
I end up looking up most things out of regular ignorance rather than game ignorance. Like not knowing what the hell a thrips is when a giant thrips man is tearing people apart.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I'm trying to set up breeding programs for the massive amount of random animals I've captured, if I'm reading the wiki right the babies of the trained animals will be tame and not revert to wild, correct? Because I want a swarm of hunting giant bats! Also gonna breed keas, foxes, koalas (all koalas are tame from elven caravans and now in an enclosure), cave toads, falcons, emus, cave crocodiles, giant rats, giant moles, skunks, and anything else I can get my hands on that isn't a grazer. Too bad I can't train the gorlaks, but they'll have a nice home in the newly constructed Gorlak Zoo (and as I've now gotten a gorlak visitor, I wonder what they will think of the zoo) I accidentally got a Giant Red Panda from an elven caravan as well, but it looks like I got enough bamboo to keep it alive, at least until the next goblin siege. There is no way to make bamboo grow underground, right?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Main Paineframe posted:

Various kinds of wildlife steal stuff, including several species of birds. I have to send marksdwarves out to guard my depot every time the caravan comes because the damned buzzards will happily come down and swipe all the food I just bought.

For keeping track of items, you'll need a bookkeeper, who'll keep a running inventory of everything in your fort. As the fort grows, a manager will be helpful for handling jobs, since you can just order a task and they'll parcel it out across your workshops as needed.

Water isn't super important since dwarves will happily subsist on booze most of the time, but I think it's necessary for injured dwarves so it's good to have some around.

i knew monkeys did but didn't realize keas did. Also of course vultures should steal food, that's cool. Do they also eat refuse?

Tars Tarkas posted:

You should get a notice when Kea/whatever steal stuff, pay attention if they steal stepladders so you don't got dwarfs stranded in trees who then die.

what the gently caress you can get into trees now!?

ninjewtsu posted:

The "next level guide" is basically just looking up stuff on the wiki

You should probably look up every animal you run into to find out they have any fun surprises for you, like how keas steal stuff

no way i'd rather have the fun surprise it's always cool having something come out and you have no idea what's happening

Tars Tarkas posted:

I'm trying to set up breeding programs for the massive amount of random animals I've captured, if I'm reading the wiki right the babies of the trained animals will be tame and not revert to wild, correct? Because I want a swarm of hunting giant bats! Also gonna breed keas, foxes, koalas (all koalas are tame from elven caravans and now in an enclosure), cave toads, falcons, emus, cave crocodiles, giant rats, giant moles, skunks, and anything else I can get my hands on that isn't a grazer. Too bad I can't train the gorlaks, but they'll have a nice home in the newly constructed Gorlak Zoo (and as I've now gotten a gorlak visitor, I wonder what they will think of the zoo) I accidentally got a Giant Red Panda from an elven caravan as well, but it looks like I got enough bamboo to keep it alive, at least until the next goblin siege. There is no way to make bamboo grow underground, right?

IIRC you can dig out a skylight and cover it with grating and the dirt directly underneath will count as outside and it'll get rain.
At one point there was a bug so if you floored over the opening it still counted as outside, but it's dark?
Also I guess you can make glass/gem windows I think that gives outside+light but no rain. I wouldn't be surprised if windows gave outside due to the bug not getting fixed, didn't give light, but did give line of sight to dwarves walking underneath and freaking out when a raccoon walks by

E: also IIRC bees and other bug sized things can fly through grates so you can keep your hives safe if you feel like keeping them.

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 16, 2016

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

SniperWoreConverse posted:

i knew monkeys did but didn't realize keas did. Also of course vultures should steal food, that's cool. Do they also eat refuse?

what the gently caress you can get into trees now!?

Nope, they only steal food.

Yeah, trees are multi-level things that your dwarves can climb and pick fruit from now, and treetops seem to act as floor that can be freely walked on. They produce a lot more wood now, too. On the downside they're buggy as hell - dwarves will sometimes climb them and then get stuck and refuse to come down, even if they had absolutely no reason to be up there in the first place.

Moat update: making progress. It's still really annoying, especially since the previous efforts means half the thing is on the brink of collapse, but I've at least figured out how to keep my miners from actively seeking out death. Somehow managed to catch the entire elven caravan in a cave-in, not even sure how the hell that happened but it looks like the survivors abandoned their stuff and ran.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

I read this a bajillion pages back in response to the missing 100 and had to insta reply with a heartfelt golfclap.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

where was that multiplayer dwarf fortress website? it's a single fortress but people can 'play' it together (sort of like single keyboard thing so if they fight it goes badly)

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Dreggon posted:

where was that multiplayer dwarf fortress website? it's a single fortress but people can 'play' it together (sort of like single keyboard thing so if they fight it goes badly)

I haven't heard of that.

Twitch plays dwarf fortress?

(actually that'd probably work if you got an AI playing DF that took basic inputs for predefined tasks)

EDIT: I just googled it and it has already happened.

Lobsterpillar fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Mar 17, 2016

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Well? How long did it take them to destroy everything?

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
I had actually attempted to join in way back when it started. Navigating DF's menus isn't pleasant when I'm the only one doing it, let alone one in a crowd.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Seems like I get worlds that have a lost land type jungle in the middle of glaciers. This most recent one actually has a river flow into the glacier and then back. I sorta wonder what it looks like but I bet in fortress mode it'll freeze shut and then flood everything.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Seems like I get worlds that have a lost land type jungle in the middle of glaciers. This most recent one actually has a river flow into the glacier and then back. I sorta wonder what it looks like but I bet in fortress mode it'll freeze shut and then flood everything.

That sounds really cool actually, any chance we could get a screenshot?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I started a terrible new fort in that world. I found a place with no neighbors except dwarves but there are mysterious not-race-labeld hamlets nearby. When I embarked it warned me to get food ready ere the Tigermen get hungry, so we'll see what happens. Before I picked that spot I was looking at the area I was talking about last post and it seems like, uuuh...

I actually sat here and tried to write out what it looked like with ascii or whatever but it's not working out.
basically the south was the frozen ocean, north of that was some land with a spring. A brook flows north but it's interrupted with frozen bands. The (relatively) far north is saltwater marshes. When I die or decide to retire this one i'll go back and see if I can find the actual river and where it hits glacier.

Current fort, I forgot to build half the stuff I need, can't figure out wheat or querns, but on the upside my militia has enough shell helmets, leggings and gauntlets for two people! Add in the wood shields and we're on our way.

Another weird thing is sometimes when I make huge sized maps it has the poles like a regular earth map, but sometimes it's the equator in the north and only the southern hemisphere is created.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Met posted:

Any video or audio from that event Tarn was at today?

Gibbo posted:

If he was at GDC there should be some on youtube before too long.

In the meantime, here's another glimpse of myth generation that someone snagged off of Twitter:

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 20, 2016

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Another weird thing is sometimes when I make huge sized maps it has the poles like a regular earth map, but sometimes it's the equator in the north and only the southern hemisphere is created.

By default it randomly switches between two poles and one pole, you can choose one or the other (and also maybe no poles? I can't recall.).

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
It's even dumber / better than that. There's four options: North, South, North or South chosen at random and both North and South!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Alehkhs posted:

In the meantime, here's another glimpse of myth generation that someone snagged off of Twitter:

an egg

gone

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Alehkhs posted:

The Shifting Blood spontaneously formed the dwarves.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

GenericOverusedName posted:

It's even dumber / better than that. There's four options: North, South, North or South chosen at random and both North and South!

:psyduck:

Ps, I have a confession. I'm the mechanism of feces in that legends excerpt.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

created the sun using the ocean

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
The dwarves smashed the mechanism that is used to guide fate :black101:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

whoa you weren't kidding

that thing is going to be another goldmine

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

Ps, I have a confession. I'm the mechanism of feces in that legends excerpt.

Yeah, well, I'm the Pillar of Semite

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Well, I'm The Other Place

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Ag Bengip posted:

Yeah, well, I'm the Pillar of Semite

humans were formed when faries got inside the semite pillar

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Ignimbrite posted:

The dwarves smashed the mechanism that is used to guide fate :black101:

Kymon the night creature immediately made another one :argh:.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Lowen posted:

Kymon the night creature immediately made another one :argh:.

Well, someone has to do it.

Kallev
Nov 16, 2014
I'm the hydra that wakes up, and then proceeds to do absolutely nothing.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Primeval force of apathy

E: "your merely mortal mind could never conceive how little I give a gently caress!"

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
The Elves are apparently the sweat of Ternocate.......

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Kallev posted:

I'm the hydra that wakes up, and then proceeds to do absolutely nothing.
I imagine that'd make for a great "holy poo poo" moment as an adventurer. "Oh wow, there's a badass looking hydra in this cave! That's scary. Let me check the legends... this creature predates the universe."

Grey Hunter posted:

The Elves are apparently the sweat of Ternocate.......
I thought that was neat because the Tephocete was a manifestation of the Shifting Blood, which itself was spontaneously formed by the animals. Like, there was this being that coalesced from the supernatural blood of the first animals... and the elves were its sweat. That was a nice mix of silly and appropriate.

But then it turns out that the same Shifting Blood just spontaneously formed the Dwarves later on.

I guess that kind of works still. The Dwarves are hearty folk, born of the Shifting Blood itself! While the Elves are the effete sweat of a nervous proto-Dwarf (born from the same blood).

The Dwarves then proceeded to rebel against the "great" Tephocete (along side the Cipedus Fairies) and then destroy fate itself (the Fairies destroyed the artifact of divine omniscience, and created the humans by disturbing Pillar of Semite that connects this world to The Dark Lands, so they didn't do so bad either). Even if a random night creature just made a new one right away, that's still pretty badass.

These procedural legends are pretty cool! Kind of makes me want to run an RPG where the goal is to destroy the Second Mechanism of Fate, as the Dwarves destroyed the First during the time of legends, or have a cult with that goal or something.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I hope the magic system is also insane. Like a spell that makes someone's skeleton jump out of their body or something.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Adventurer site creation first, insane awesome myths later.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

TOOT BOOT posted:

I hope the magic system is also insane. Like a spell that makes someone's skeleton jump out of their body or something.

Procedurally generated magic.

Spell that makes the second finger of your left hand spontaneous melt.
Spell that makes your intestines double in size.
Spell that turns your skeleton into a husk but your organs are still alive.
Spell which causes you to lose all your bones but still remain alive.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

A spell that makes you incredibly drunk whenever you get angry during an argument

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
I ran a bard once with a series of Glen Danzig based joke Cantrips.

I really want to see "Danzig's Ever Tightening Pants" somewhere in DF.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Ignimbrite posted:

Procedurally generated magic.

Spell that makes the second finger of your left hand spontaneous melt.
Spell that makes your intestines double in size.
Spell that turns your skeleton into a husk but your organs are still alive.
Spell which causes you to lose all your bones but still remain alive.

The Wizard's Guide to Self Control has never been such an important book as now.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The old magic system was ridiculous.

I tried 'teleport a small object to a place'

I picked my brain as the object. The place, the ground in front of me. It worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i mean, yeah

i guess wizard school is mostly poo poo like "dont do that"