Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Imgur's on a roll lately:

http://imgur.com/gallery/eFN39

This one has a really charming title too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

"See, there's no wage gap! Women just choose lower paying jobs! No problems here."

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

CommunistPancake posted:

"See, there's no wage gap! Women just choose lower paying jobs! No problems here."

And, strangely, when they shift to higher paying jobs and become the majority the pay suddenly decreases. That's assuming they can even tolerate going through the gross gauntlet that is getting a major in a male dominated field as a woman.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Olanphonia posted:

And, strangely, when they shift to higher paying jobs and become the majority the pay suddenly decreases. That's assuming they can even tolerate going through the gross gauntlet that is getting a major in a male dominated field as a woman.

And of course there's the whole thing where even if you do look only at people occupying comparable positions and control for qualifications and work time, women still end up at a ~7% lower pay rate on average.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
Uggh, and like 10 of the comments in there are "If women are cheaper, why don't employers only hire women??!"

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
There's no wage gap, silly feminists! It's just that fields which are considered "women's work" don't nearly pay as much as fields that are considered "men's work". If you work in male dominated fields and deal with all the harassment and misogyny there, then you'll make (almost) as much money! As for who's going to do all that necessary work that's considered women's work, don't worry about it! I certainly don't!

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
Who cares about "pink collar" jobs? Women will take them just so they can have babies and "have it all".

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I think the author is trying to convey healthy contrarianism in an unhealthy way.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Your Computer posted:

I'm so loving tired of seeing this image on the front page

I love people that attempt to parody Anita Sarkeesian when they clearly haven't watched any of her videos, or at least understood anything she's said.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

EvilGenius posted:

I love people that attempt to parody Anita Sarkeesian when they clearly haven't watched any of her videos, or at least understood anything she's said.

But she's talking bad about my video games :qq:

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
So ... men do less "unpaid work" at home. And men are less likely to take time off to be home with their newborn babies. And men are less likely to make sacrifices for their children.

So that's why woman don't make as much money. The waste too much time giving a poo poo about their kids.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Females -> 26.7 + 21 = 47.3
Male -> 15.9 + 31.4 = 47.7
This is why men earn the big bux, for doing maths good.

(it's a petty nitpick, but gently caress this infographic)

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

that entire infographic is just listing a whole bunch of problems that both genders face and then saying "see, no problem!"

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Yeeeah but it's...like...well made, like, the art is pretty good, so I feel I can trust it, right?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
if only the internet could have a reasoned and measured discussion about *FAAAAARRRRRRTTTT*

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

blarzgh posted:

if only the internet could have a reasoned and measured discussion about *FAAAAARRRRRRTTTT*

don't censor me.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I'm the doofy dad in business attire who can't operate a broom

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

*Took a left turn, wasn't executed* "SEE? NOT ALL COPS".

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
as a white person, that story sure gives me the warm fuzzies on the inside

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

rhoga posted:

Females -> 26.7 + 21 = 47.3
Male -> 15.9 + 31.4 = 47.7
This is why men earn the big bux, for doing maths good.

(it's a petty nitpick, but gently caress this infographic)

Really not sure what this infographic is trying to say, but I'm sure someone will try and use it to prove something.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

EvilGenius posted:

It's just hilarious because her show is just so drat inoffensive. It's like Saturday afternoon public radio levels of inoffensive.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

quadrophrenic posted:

as a white person, that story made me realize that the couple times I was pulled over, I could have been shot for not keeping my hands on the wheel or turning off my music. Wait, no, I'm white and wouldn't have gotten shot anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsN-G6W4d9A

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Of course you dont know, YOU dont know because only I know

Grimey Drawer

quadrophrenic posted:

Are you the white person, or is that story? Either way, also as a white person, that story gave me so many feels I need a banana for scale

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
It's good that police shootings of minorities have become so commonplace we need image macros pointing out that sometimes black people don't get shot by the cops. That is a good and healthy place for society to be in.

That image also points out why all those other black people got shot. If only Tamir Rice had stood perfectly still and turned his loud rap music down, he would still be alive today.

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

El Estrago Bonito posted:

It's just hilarious because her show is just so drat inoffensive. It's like Saturday afternoon public radio levels of inoffensive.

I like her a lot, but it's so weird that people get so riled up over what is basically intro to women's studies-level feminist critiques. She's not saying anything radical, but I saw her speak recently and there was like, crazy tight security because they are, very reasonably, afraid that someone was going to try to bomb the drat place.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Evelyn Nesbit posted:

I like her a lot, but it's so weird that people get so riled up over what is basically intro to women's studies-level feminist critiques. She's not saying anything radical, but I saw her speak recently and there was like, crazy tight security because they are, very reasonably, afraid that someone was going to try to bomb the drat place.

I'm pretty sure there was that one dude who was on his way to one of her meeting things and he crashed his car and it was just filled with tons of guns right?

Baofu
Jun 15, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

I'm pretty sure there was that one dude who was on his way to one of her meeting things and he crashed his car and it was just filled with tons of guns right?

Is that different from the "youtube comic" who thought it would be hi-larious to pose as a Gamergater? The one who wrecked his mom's Prius and shot a video threatening Ms. Wu as he was waiting for the cops to arrive at the scene?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Evelyn Nesbit posted:

The misfortune of bad timing and internet celebrity. For anyone who's dipped even a toe into the topic, the stuff she's saying is down right remedial. Video games, infested with sexist stereotypes? The hell you say! But Sarkeesian happened to come along right as Youtube was getting big, and she got noticed, and holy poo poo do nerds not like it when someone deigns to point out obvious flaws in the things they build their lives around.

RareAcumen posted:

She's also had to cancel at least one event due to a mass shooting threat. If I recall, it was Utah state and they had to cancel because the campus allowed concealed carry, so the cops literally couldn't prevent people from showing up armed.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Baofu posted:

Is that different from the "youtube comic" who thought it would be hi-larious to pose as a Gamergater? The one who wrecked his mom's Prius and shot a video threatening Ms. Wu as he was waiting for the cops to arrive at the scene?

I have no idea who you're referencing but in the story I'm barely remembering the dude had crashed his car and was found with tons of weapons and their was this air of stupidity around the whole situation like, 'Well he was only speeding on his way to one of your meetings with lots of weapons in his car but we can't actually prove that he was going to use them once he got there.'

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

I haven't heard that, but there was a case where she was going to give a presentation and it had to be canceled because there was a creepily-worded anonymous treat of mass murder at the university, followed by tear-stricken wailing about the evils of feminism. Some choice quotes:

quote:

Feminists have ruined my life, and I will have my revenge, for my sake and the sake of all others they've wronged

quote:

Anita Sarkeesian is everything wrong with the feminist woman, and she is going to die screaming like the craven little whore that she is if you let her come to USU. I will write my manifesto in her spilled blood, and you will all bear witness to what feminist lies and poison have done to the men of America.

Prior to this I had been thinking about changing my computer science track in college from game development to software engineering, and this made me go ahead and do it. gently caress gamers.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Baofu posted:

I don't think the guy himself was a comic, he was just a member of Million Dollar Extreme.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

I have no idea who you're referencing but in the story I'm barely remembering the dude had crashed his car and was found with tons of weapons and their was this air of stupidity around the whole situation like, 'Well he was only speeding on his way to one of your meetings with lots of weapons in his car but we can't actually prove that he was going to use them once he got there.'

Pretty sure you're thinking of this guy.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Skippy McPants posted:

No that's the MDE guy. He was "targeting" Wu, the trunk full o' guns guy was after Anita.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

So Imgur is being super loving lovely today.

http://imgur.com/gallery/A2xvCGy
Why do people care so loving much about other peoples' gender?

http://imgur.com/gallery/6nSme
loving brown people. So busy with dumb religion and also they are stupid stupids.

http://imgur.com/gallery/89mJH
Tired racist jokes.

http://imgur.com/gallery/a7umfSw
Another tired racist joke but now Asian.

http://imgur.com/gallery/o1FaMbz
Not saying Islam is bad, but they are all terrorists am i rite?

http://imgur.com/gallery/tLAjHZ4
This black man totally deserved being abused by police.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

I was starting to think that I was getting them mixed up for a moment there. I'm glad Lady Naga knew who was who.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Wow, you're angry and sensitive.

Here, this will calm you down:

http://imgur.com/gallery/JSAQUi3

quote:

Appropriate advice in light of recent events.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Here's another one!

quote:

Global education and encouraging an open mind for openly discussing different views makes a difference.

Also you need an open mind to try to understand where this anger and hate comes from, hating back with closed eyes will not help.

Last but not least, if you are in or close to Brussels, donate blood if you can.

Live Feed for those who missed the bombs in Brussel by IS
http://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-35869266

Here is a good article to give you an idea why western hate towards Muslims are the goal of IS. Don't let hate win:
http://egyptianstreets.com/2015/11/14/the-importance-of-an-anti-muslim-europe-for-isis

Top Comment posted:

1 upvote = 1 global eductaion

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

I think that was a dude going to a Magic tournament and had nothing to do with Anita. There were threats but nobody with a gun actually has been crazy enough to show up. You might be thinking of the dude who thinks Brianna Wu is stalking him and trying to kill him.

Wait, no, I found it, it was for Pokemon of all things.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/08/23/boston-pokemon.html

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

You might be thinking of the dude who thinks Brianna Wu is stalking him and trying to kill him.

This was performance art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Lady Naga posted:

This was performance art.

That's his excuse? :nallears:

• Locked thread