Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Don't dox yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Thanks for the recommendations, all. Bought two tickets today. Really looking forward to it, I'll post a trip report =)

Looks like there are still a lot of seats available too, if anyone wants to jump on it. Judging from the floor General Admission seems like a good deal and things seem like they'll be nice and visible. I was only able to find them on the AXS webpage: http://www.axs.com/events/308245/world-series-of-fighting-30-tickets Be sure to bring your printed tickets or they'll slap a $10 charge on you.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

An interesting looking group

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The UR Fight supercard has not yet been cancelled and appears to be happening this Sunday and you can stream it for $12. Just as a reminder it features Roy Jones Jr. boxing a man named Vyron Phillips who won a contest, Michael Bisping vs Chael Sonnen in a grappling match, Kurt Angle and Rey Mysterio in a pro-wrestling match, and Dan Severn taking on Tank Abbott under MMA rules. As far as I can tell, there is no undercard it's just those four bouts.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Jesus

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

projecthalaxy posted:

The UR Fight supercard has not yet been cancelled and appears to be happening this Sunday and you can stream it for $12. Just as a reminder it features Roy Jones Jr. boxing a man named Vyron Phillips who won a contest, Michael Bisping vs Chael Sonnen in a grappling match, Kurt Angle and Rey Mysterio in a pro-wrestling match, and Dan Severn taking on Tank Abbott under MMA rules. As far as I can tell, there is no undercard it's just those four bouts.

Tank Abbott is out

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/3/1..._source=twitter

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

That's sad. They're still promoting him, but hey card subject to change. I wonder which early UFC star will be their third choice. Is Jon Hess still around?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mackenzie Dern looks like she could be a good prospect for the 115 division. Her BJJ chops are beyond elite, beating Gabi Garcia in open weight and is only 22 right now. She debuts in July at Legacy FC, but she does BJJ from around 125 to 130, give or take a couple so she's going to be big for the weight and might struggle to cut.

Nice to see some good young prospects in WMMA as a whole though.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

drugs more likely

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Mackenzie Dern looks like she could be a good prospect for the 115 division. Her BJJ chops are beyond elite, beating Gabi Garcia in open weight and is only 22 right now. She debuts in July at Legacy FC, but she does BJJ from around 125 to 130, give or take a couple so she's going to be big for the weight and might struggle to cut.

drat, giving up 11" to Garcia and about 100 lbs?
Still, doesn't say much about how well she'd do in MMA. Does she train for MMA a lot?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

She's preparing for her debut so you'd have to assume that she's doing at least debut level stuff. She posts her striking drills on Instagram and poo poo. Who knows though, like you say. MMA is a tough game

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The UR Fight website is now advertising SHANNON "THE CANNON" RITCH (53-79, 4 NC) VS MAVRICK HARVEY (8-2-1).

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

She's preparing for her debut so you'd have to assume that she's doing at least debut level stuff. She posts her striking drills on Instagram and poo poo. Who knows though, like you say. MMA is a tough game

We actually interviewed her for our magazine last year and she said that at the time UFC had approached her multiple times, but she was hesitant to commit because of her striking. She mentioned that she doesnt know "how a strike feels" and has only been sparring with headgear on.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That's pretty smart of her to take a fight in a lower league and quite a while on from that then. I mean, maybe she turns out as a hopeless striker and hates getting punched in the end, but she seems to be doing things right.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
I watched her vs Gabi Garcia and that was impressive, pretty insane feat to control someone 120 lbs bigger and more on male hormones than you, she seems badass but drat is gi grappling loving boring to watch as a spectator sport. She pulls guard 1 second in and spends the whole fight recovering guard and then wins on an advantage I guess? It has to be the sport that has the furthest gulf between how fun it is to do and how unfun it is to watch. Golf is more fun to watch

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

manyak posted:

I watched her vs Gabi Garcia and that was impressive, pretty insane feat to control someone 120 lbs bigger and more on male hormones than you, she seems badass but drat is gi grappling loving boring to watch as a spectator sport. She pulls guard 1 second in and spends the whole fight recovering guard and then wins on an advantage I guess? It has to be the sport that has the furthest gulf between how fun it is to do and how unfun it is to watch. Golf is more fun to watch

not every gi match is like that, but its definitely a more viable strategy than in no gi. rules changes could probably help, because the current rules kind of incentivize a painful level of playing it safe.

i wish doing submission-only was more popular, but i dont think people like having to accept lots of draws on their records when matches go too long.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Eddie Bravo made his invitational as an antithesis to that and it's on Fight Pass from now on. There's a huge event next month on the 24th with some massive BJJ names so if you have Fight Pass and want to see submission grappling, that ought to be good.

I think it's no-gi but I can't say cos his site isn't working.

e: the others were so it will be

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
All the events are on Eddie Bravo's YouTube, too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6gMkha37XA

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I really like the tiebreaker rules in EBI, they get rid of the constant draws of Metamoris but betting on lasting the entire time limit and then out-escaping the other guy in the overtime is risky enough that few people are going to go in with stalling as a strategy, I think.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

https://twitter.com/MMAFighting/status/710813025335418880

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

manyak posted:

Fun-to-watch gi grappling is out there, it's called sambo

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
lol https://twitter.com/grizzlyedwin/status/710535429510934528

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
How does that happen every time.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
the really curious thing is that they bilked a private investor and he publicly outed them on twitter. shortly before nye there were people saying kazuyoshi ishii (former k-1 owner, before he went to jail for tax evasion, which led to the birth of feg which ran it into the ground) was going to be involved in helping them secure sponsors, as well as the fact that he understands how to build up foreigners and make a tv product. but there's been total silence there and now i've heard their next event is only going to air on a regional channel.

i think they make it to nye, but unless they blow the doors off the ratings it looks like they've run throught the playbook in record time.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Biodome posted:

How does that happen every time.

Because in Asia they teach The New Math.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Is UR FIGHT going to be a good cluster, or a bad cluster?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

LordPants posted:

Is UR FIGHT going to be a good cluster, or a bad cluster?

it's going to have Jim Ross announcing, so it'll be entertaining regardless

i think I might go do a separate topic for it

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
i read somewhere they got rampage on commentary and they have to sell 200k to break even, Lol.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Triticum Guzzler posted:

i read somewhere they got rampage on commentary and they have to sell 200k to break even, Lol.

anyone got a good title, as all I've got is "Bellator 149 ½: Come watch 8 men die in UR FIGHT"

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm thinking that Rampage dryhumps Jenn on tv, Laura backstage and Brian at the hotel.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ayn rand hand job posted:

anyone got a good title, as all I've got is "Bellator 149 ½: Come watch 8 men die in UR FIGHT"

UR FIGHT - UR KIDDING ME, RIGHT?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3769139

stupid illegal characters in the thread title made me retool it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Jenn Sterger, famous for using fake tits at FSU to score a sideline gig with espn only to get bumped off the air because of brett favres crockshot.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
from what I've read and seen it seems like the UR Fight crew are the right people to bring the moat fights concept stateside, make it happen

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
holy cow i just checked their website and not only is the next show on friday but they have some kind of sensei seagal style krav maga guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FBklpU5_bM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIN1vOqXcTc

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna be in Tokyo for this, I'll try to live post stuff if can figure out getting wifi in the venue

e: that was phrased poorly, I didn't fly to Tokyo just to see loving moat fights

Dave Grool fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Mar 21, 2016

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
I just need to know when I can watch it on nico or anywhere else

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Lost For Words posted:

I'm gonna be in Tokyo for this, I'll try to live post stuff if can figure out getting wifi in the venue

e: that was phrased poorly, I didn't fly to Tokyo just to see loving moat fights

nobody would blame you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Lost For Words posted:

It would've been cool if you did