Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veotax
May 16, 2006

The games stopped taking themselves seriously and adopted a more Saturday morning cartoon style back in Colours, I believe Sega brought in some of the guys behind Happy Tree Friends to take over writing duties after Unleashed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Veotax posted:

The games stopped taking themselves seriously and adopted a more Saturday morning cartoon style back in Colours, I believe Sega brought in some of the guys behind Happy Tree Friends to take over writing duties after Unleashed.

Unleashed already was goofy outside of the opening and closing, as well.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Sonic

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Dabir posted:

What if they put double-jump on the jump button, and have the spindash button do homing attacks in the air.
That's unnecessary, because they already had a dedicated homing attack button. The two jump buttons are functionally identical except when trying to doublejump when you're locked on to a target, in which case one turns into a homing attack and one... doesn't. Why they couldn't have made homing attack work like the kick is beyond me. :shrug:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Well if there's a situation when they change then they're not identical, are they. One jump button, it double-jumps in the air, one attack button, it spindashes on the ground and homing attacks in the air, the kick can get ta feck. Problem solved.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Calaveron posted:

I actually liked the "writing" in lost worlds because the game did not at any moment pretend it wasn't a goofy Saturday morning cartoon ala the old Long John Baldry Steve Urkel cartoons

Apart from Eggman getting actually angry at the Zeti and flipping his poo poo with dramatic music playing, or Eggman falling into the lava, or Eggman wanting to strangle the Zeti, or Tails being kidnapped and Eggman acting genuinely solemn about it, or anything involving the big red one, or Amy dying horribly on the dead remains of the Earth, or

Plus the writing was garbage at every turn, so even if none of this happened, it was still terrible.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Dabir posted:

Well if there's a situation when they change then they're not identical, are they. One jump button, it double-jumps in the air, one attack button, it spindashes on the ground and homing attacks in the air, the kick can get ta feck. Problem solved.

True, my problem is that it pretends that they're identical except oops they're not. I'd keep homing attack and spindash separate buttons (because you press homing attack and hold spindash, and holding ZL is more comfortable than pressing it and vice versa for the A button), rermove non-infinite spindash, remove homing attack charges and remove kick. which would remove a lot of the needless artificial complexity that the controls exhibit.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Apart from Eggman getting actually angry at the Zeti and flipping his poo poo with dramatic music playing, or Eggman falling into the lava, or Eggman wanting to strangle the Zeti, or Tails being kidnapped and Eggman acting genuinely solemn about it, or anything involving the big red one, or Amy dying horribly on the dead remains of the Earth, or

My favorite is still depressed guy going "I long for death's cold embrace" as you knock him into magma, never to be seen again. That was hilariously out of place.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

How about that final boss? I never thought I'd say this but the one from Generations was better

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

beep by grandpa posted:

How about that final boss? I never thought I'd say this but the one from Generations was better

Let's not even joke about that. It was piss easy, moreso than even Colors' final boss, but at least it was a reasonable enough fight that wasn't in a purple haze with people constantly screaming "it looks like a homing shot" every few seconds.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
It also had way better music than the Generations final boss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvA_t2p54gE

vs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqdIxyjRdUs

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Geostomp posted:

Let's not even joke about that. It was piss easy, moreso than even Colors' final boss, but at least it was a reasonable enough fight that wasn't in a purple haze with people constantly screaming "it looks like a homing shot" every few seconds.

Yeah Lost World's final boss was okay. Died in more than two hits unlike the rest of the bosses in Lost World, not as drawn out and boring as Time Eater and much, much better than the absolute garbage that was the Gaia Colossus fight. Seriously, I'd rank Unleashed's (PS360) final boss as a low point in the Sonic franchise, which is really saying something.

Also Lost World had the best final boss music

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Just checked the final boss of Lost World, pretty much looks like a continuation of the Colors final boss, albeit if the lock-on mechanics are as not-good as everyone says then it's probably not nearly as fun and it having only three real attacks seems like a huge bummer compared to Colors, the ending specially is nowhere near as rad. Compared to Unleashed and Generations I'd stay it still seems way better, and that's the kind of final boss Sonic games should have.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's half a phase of the Colors final boss at most.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I decided to check in on Freedom Planet because I was pretty sure there was another Adventure mode coming and hey, they're still working on that poo poo. They've been culling the garbage from the cutscenes that crashed the pacing of the game into the ground, which gives me a lot of confidence for the sequel that they've actually been listening to criticism and are willing to take a hatchet to the game where necessary.

The bitter, salty tears of the commenters is delightful. I too mourn the fact that I will no longer be kept from my arcade action platformer for twenty minutes by three kids watching a movie, or the loss of a singular line of dialogue that doesn't make any sense whatsoever without a prior cutscene that never made it into the final game.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 21, 2016

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Geostomp posted:

Yeah. I think. Lot of Lost World's hate comes from the fact that it doesn't explain itself well at all, so people fail for reasons they can't understand and just blame the game's design. The shifts to various gimmick levels don't help matters. I still want to see them refine and improve it because it has a lot of potential.
It's funny because Sonic Colors had similar issues, a lot of the wisps were poorly explained and felt weird to control until you watched an LP of someone doing it right. They were just easier to ignore because they were usually reserved to bonus paths.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I decided to check in on Freedom Planet because I was pretty sure there was another Adventure mode coming and hey, they're still working on that poo poo. They've been culling the garbage from the cutscenes that crashed the pacing of the game into the ground, which gives me a lot of confidence for the sequel that they've actually been listening to criticism and are willing to take a hatchet to the game where necessary.

The bitter, salty tears of the commenters is delightful. I too mourn the fact that I will no longer be kept from my arcade action platformer for twenty minutes by three kids watching a movie, or the loss of a singular line of dialogue that doesn't make any sense whatsoever without a prior cutscene that never made it into the final game.

Ummm, did you watch the Freedom Planet 2 trailer?

It looks like the game is gonna be MORE Cinematic/Movie/Sory-based, not less

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHAYtSUfW0c

Nothing about being full on anime inspires confidence on this point.

Ventana fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 21, 2016

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I keep rewatching super bunny hop's sonic video and it's got me considering replaying Sonic Heroes (The way I got yelled at here defending it makes me think I might unfairly like this game the same way people unfairly like adventure 1 and I haven't played it since high school) and that I should buy/play through Sonic Boom & Shadow the Hedgehog, which is apparently a mainline game? Those are the only mainlines I've never touched/beaten and if I'm going to be a True, Blue Super Sonic Warrior I have to remain faithful through the good and bad.

Also what do you guys consider mainline? My thoughts:

Sonic 1
Sonic 2
Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Sonic CD
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Heroes
Shadow the Hedgehog I guess (seems more like a spin-off to me like Knuckles Chaotix but I keep seeing it in people's lists)
Sonic 06
Sonic Unleashed
Sonic Colors
Sonic Generations
Sonic Lost World
Sonic Boom

The only ones I completely left out are Sonic 4 cause they were $15 shovelware and Sonic 3D Blast which honestly I don't have a particular good reason for other than it just feels like such an odd entry, like Sonic Riders/Racing or something (I played the Saturn version as a kid, suckers :c00l: ).

(I don't count any of the handhelds because get out my face with that imo)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The first game gave you a mode where you can completely ignore the story and cinematics and the second game will obviously have that as well so who cares how bad the story or voice acting is

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Full animated cutscenes are expensive and sparingly used even in AAA games. An indie game will have far fewer, and a bunch of the cutscene budget just went on that trailer. A few short ones of that length to bookend the action will be fine.

I mean I know the world doesn't need more crap anime, but the first Freedom Planet exists and isn't going to change on that front and we are going to have to accept that. But they are retroactively shedding weight from the shittiest part of the game regardless of how much their terrible fanbase bleats about it, which is good! Whether they're going far enough is down to how vehement you are about seeing all that crap tossed in a furnace, I guess. I like a bit of ham-handed garbage to flavour my videogames though.

edit: The latter half of both Sonic 4s were a step up form the first half, and the final boss of Episode 2 was superb, so I'd keep them in. Knuckles Chaotix also gets to stay, even if I am the last man on Earth cradling that poor unwanted duckling.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 21, 2016

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

I keep rewatching super bunny hop's sonic video and it's got me considering replaying Sonic Heroes (The way I got yelled at here defending it makes me think I might unfairly like this game the same way people unfairly like adventure 1 and I haven't played it since high school) and that I should buy/play through Sonic Boom & Shadow the Hedgehog, which is apparently a mainline game? Those are the only mainlines I've never touched/beaten and if I'm going to be a True, Blue Super Sonic Warrior I have to remain faithful through the good and bad.

In terms of what shadow brings to the table it's definitely spinoff whatever made by sonic team usa while sonic team was working on the "true" next sonic game. Shadow somehow ended up being better than 2006 by a longshot though so maybe it's worth considering anyway.

Don't play sonic boom

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I thought shadow was way, way worse than 06 actually, having played them both pretty much side by side

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i dont consider rise of lyric to be a mainline sonic game because it wasnt made by sonic team

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

SupSuper posted:

It's funny because Sonic Colors had similar issues, a lot of the wisps were poorly explained and felt weird to control until you watched an LP of someone doing it right. They were just easier to ignore because they were usually reserved to bonus paths.

i dont agree at all, wisps were very easy to understand and use in colors, whereas they seem like a complete afterthought in lost world and have powers that arent very intuitive

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, Wisps were super-intuitive in Colors. At worst there are shortcuts you don't grasp without someone telling you about them but those aren't necessary at all.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Since we're on the subject, can anyone explain the musical wisp to me? It just seems to bounce you along in a way that is significantly slower than just doing it as Sonic, while some of the vertical paths bounce you in the wrong direction if you're unlucky. Even if you go in the right direction it seems to either drop you into a void because the final note is over a pit (Sky Road Zone 4), bounce you into the path of an enemy (oh gosh, Sky Road Zone 4 again) or leave you sitting there like a total sponge waiting for the power to run out.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I was rapid tapping on non-musical notes to get myself above safe platforms. It wasn't as fast as tapping on the notes but it still moved me where I wanted to go.

I actually used the wing skip option (and didn't even give a gently caress at all when I am normally a very honorable video game warrior and would never cheat) to skip that retarded as gently caress stealth one-hit-kill spotlight section which I think was the same level.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

beep by grandpa posted:

Sonic 1
Sonic 2
Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Sonic CD
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Generations

The only good stage in Adventure 2 was remade in Generations so I'm okay leaving it out.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
This is the mainline Sonic

Sonic 1
Sonic 2
Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Sonic Unleashed
Sonic Colors
Sonic Generations

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Craptacular! posted:

The only good stage in Adventure 2 was remade in Generations so I'm okay leaving it out.

Metal Harbor isn't in Generations though :confused:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Craptacular! posted:

Route 280 wasn't in Generations, though...?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

beep by grandpa posted:

Shadow the Hedgehog I guess (seems more like a spin-off to me like Knuckles Chaotix but I keep seeing it in people's lists)

Storywise, it's actually the sequel to Adventure 2 that Sonic Heroes wasn't, so it can kind of cheat itself in on that technicality. I'm also one of the few insane ones who thinks it's actually the good version of Heroes, since they removed some of the tedious team bullshit and simplified the combat by adding weapons that you can use to very efficiently remove your enemies' way too large healthbars. There's some tedious missions in there like the horrifying "kill all enemies" ones but they aren't any worse than Team Chaotix in heroes, and I think the level design has actually improved a bit (and at least there's a ton more stages).

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

beep by grandpa posted:

Also what do you guys consider mainline?

Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure

Sonic Rush introduced the boost mechanic and has a great soundtrack by Hideki Naganuma of Jet Set Radio fame. Sonic Rush Adventure has some unfortunate filler but the main game is a bit more polished and has some great bossfights. I still like the first Sonic Rush better overall though.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Sonic Rush Adventure may not have the JSR-esque soundtrack, opting for a more traditional Sonic affair, but it is still one of my favorite Sonic soundtracks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saYTUVskoz8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQKx6HY-stU

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Craptacular! posted:

Cubey posted:

Metal Harbor isn't in Generations though :confused:

Discendo Vox posted:

Route 280 wasn't in Generations, though...?

Am I the only one who liked Adventure 2's treasure hunting stages?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yep.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kuroyama posted:

I liked them, but only Knuckles' stages. Also the change to the radar was dumb.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Kuroyama posted:

Yeah

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007

Beat kicks the beat cock fuckin

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Kuroyama posted:

They're fun and good stages, idk why everyone has trouble with them when they aren't hard to navigate. Dry Lagoon does have the turtle separating the areas, but the areas are so small that it doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Ventana posted:

the areas are so small that it doesn't matter.

What about Meteor Herd or Mad Space.

• Locked thread