Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

super fart shooter posted:

For a while I actually thought that incinerators did produce power. Would it really be that much weirder than exhuming long buried corpses just because the graveyard is full?

It happens more often IRL than you might think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Anyone have a workshop bus-tram terminal interchange thing they like?

Something like this, but with tram tracks too. Maybe not so elaborate.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=454120725&searchtext=bus

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Here's two screenshots for a rainy day:

I cloned BoldlyBuilding's American Eclectic houses across all levels with the Theme Manager; looks pretty sweet.

Network Skins got a nice update but I managed to do something with its basic functionality that I hadn't really nailed before: use the game's standard pillar placement, but with different kinds of (custom) pillars to create an almost faultless double-decker interchange.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

That doubledecker is sweet. Closeups? Also, I've got some rain here too.

Welcome to the comfy, population: You

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I haven't used themes yet but want to try on a new city. What are some good collections? Looking for American mostly.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Zero One posted:

I haven't used themes yet but want to try on a new city. What are some good collections? Looking for American mostly.

The best theme, Brooklyn. The creator also has a Manhattan theme if you want to go full hog.

Also, Trailer Park.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

RVT posted:

Anyone have a workshop bus-tram terminal interchange thing they like?

Something like this, but with tram tracks too. Maybe not so elaborate.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=454120725&searchtext=bus

Those are not really that hard to build yourself. The workshop ones are all sprawling monsters for eleventy billion routes.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
So, when I read that something in the workshop is a 'ploppable asset' that has 'RICO' that means that it's a building that shows up on my menu somewhere instead of springing up on its own in a zone I marked, and that it satisfies some need for industrial or residential or whatever kind of building?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Tujague posted:

So, when I read that something in the workshop is a 'ploppable asset' that has 'RICO' that means that it's a building that shows up on my menu somewhere instead of springing up on its own in a zone I marked, and that it satisfies some need for industrial or residential or whatever kind of building?

Yes, it's a plop that functions as a growable. You should even be able to tweak its stats.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Okay well I accidentally clicked the "no heavy traffic" policy on my entire city and didn't notice for a while. On the plus side, it took a remarkably long time for my industries to die off, they appeared to try to survive on delivery vans for quite a while. Then I figured out what was going wrong and unclicked the policy, unleashing ATOMIC TRUCKSTORM on my transportation network. Looked like that goddamned movie with Emilio Estevez.

Traffic is definitely the ultimate boss of this game. Once you grind your way to a sustainable garbage system and corpse system, it's the thing you end up tweaking forever. What I learned is that express routes are a really tricky business and not very intuitive. For instance, I have one big road that goes all the way down my city and it's pretty clogged. So I figured I'd build a pair of elevated one-way roads as a bypass so garbage trucks could just shoot downtown and back. Well, it turns out that the traffic agents prefer big roads with theoretical high speeds to smaller roads with higher speeds-in-practice, so nobody used it.

What WAS successful was a subterranean six-lane road that jumped off the main drag, plunged underground and only resurfaced downtown (THE MOLEVARD / WEBWAY) Worked like a charm, especially since my cargo train terminal is downtown and farm tractors will drive past a perfectly good highway for the privilege of using it. Like, the hierarchy of roads is serious, and those big ones really ought to be held on to as a trump card.

Here's my next question: To what extent can I rip up the big regional highways and train tracks? I read that you can basically hang your whole city off one highway and one train track that leaves the map. True?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Tujague posted:

Okay well I accidentally clicked the "no heavy traffic" policy on my entire city and didn't notice for a while. On the plus side, it took a remarkably long time for my industries to die off, they appeared to try to survive on delivery vans for quite a while. Then I figured out what was going wrong and unclicked the policy, unleashing ATOMIC TRUCKSTORM on my transportation network. Looked like that goddamned movie with Emilio Estevez.

Traffic is definitely the ultimate boss of this game. Once you grind your way to a sustainable garbage system and corpse system, it's the thing you end up tweaking forever. What I learned is that express routes are a really tricky business and not very intuitive. For instance, I have one big road that goes all the way down my city and it's pretty clogged. So I figured I'd build a pair of elevated one-way roads as a bypass so garbage trucks could just shoot downtown and back. Well, it turns out that the traffic agents prefer big roads with theoretical high speeds to smaller roads with higher speeds-in-practice, so nobody used it.

What WAS successful was a subterranean six-lane road that jumped off the main drag, plunged underground and only resurfaced downtown (THE MOLEVARD / WEBWAY) Worked like a charm, especially since my cargo train terminal is downtown and farm tractors will drive past a perfectly good highway for the privilege of using it. Like, the hierarchy of roads is serious, and those big ones really ought to be held on to as a trump card.

Here's my next question: To what extent can I rip up the big regional highways and train tracks? I read that you can basically hang your whole city off one highway and one train track that leaves the map. True?

You can completely destroy and rebuild the regional highway and train networks to your heart's content, the only thing that's set in stone is the position they cross the map boundary at.

You theoretically COULD hang your entire city off of one outside connection, but there is a maximum amount of import/export capacity per connection, so it will greatly hinder your growth.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tujague posted:

Traffic is definitely the ultimate boss of this game. Once you grind your way to a sustainable garbage system and corpse system, it's the thing you end up tweaking forever.

Ultimately, a City Sim is a traffic simulator, in the same way that SimTower was really an elevator simulator. Everything else is the set dressing around that.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

MikeJF posted:

Ultimately, a City Sim is a traffic simulator, in the same way that SimTower was really an elevator simulator. Everything else is the set dressing around that.

God I miss Sim Tower, what a great little game.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Jumping in on the nostalgia pile

Was there ever an open source clone of Sim Tower? There really ought to be.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
If you got an iPad...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/yoot-tower/id379197311?mt=8

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
I really wish there was an effective way to split larger roads into individual lanes without automatically creating intersections.
Also, a way to lock sections of roadway into place so that they aren't automatically deformed when adding intersections. I'd like to keep my traffic circles completely round, thank you.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I'm pretty happy with this so far.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Zero One posted:

I'm pretty happy with this so far.

This one is the nicest, but I like the look in general. Which map is that?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Hollow Talk posted:

This one is the nicest, but I like the look in general. Which map is that?

Here you go.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Thank you! :3:

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Friction posted:

That doubledecker is sweet. Closeups?

Suuuure.

I've added the doubledecker to complete the Freeway box around downtown and provide for quick access to some cargo harbors.

The latter took a bit of semi-freehand fuckery with the dedicated exit, and there's a missing link towards the city in this pic that I had to fix with some added complexity.

Both the horizontal and vertical alignment on those curves is pretty tight, but seeing as I wanted to do a kind of 60s/70s bad standards freeway it should work out decently.

The interchange itself is pretty tight too:

But with an 18m high upper deck there's enough vertical space to make it all work!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Yes but I've done a little terraforming too.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Maybe someone here can help me. I'm liking this game so far and the performance is pretty decent so far (pop. 40,000) with one exception: if I zoom in in any way on a high density area my game freezes. Like the music is still playing and I hear sound effects but the picture freezes and I get an endlessly spinning pinwheel for a cursor. I have to force quit out to escape. I've tried googling around but I'm only seeing a zoom bug related to harbors and freight terminals and this was happening before I had either of those.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Koesj posted:

Suuuure.

How are you actually building this? Whenever I try to stack roads with No Pillars and Sharp Junction Angles my elevated roads still snap to the one below and there are no pillars.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Fish Fry Andy posted:

How are you actually building this? Whenever I try to stack roads with No Pillars and Sharp Junction Angles my elevated roads still snap to the one below and there are no pillars.

With SJA Ctrl+S turns off snapping and with NoPillars I like to use no collision mode to get pillars to appear even when I'm building on top of another road.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Koesj posted:

With SJA Ctrl+S turns off snapping and with NoPillars I like to use no collision mode to get pillars to appear even when I'm building on top of another road.

When I turn off snapping my roads still merges down into the one below. Did you just work around this?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
I think so, a little bit of wiggling around with the camera should help since the snapping is tied to the cursor?! Let me try...

Dunno, poo poo feels like it's automatically coming together for me, maybe it's the godawful amount of hours I've been putting into this game.

Those wide concrete arches look really good if the on-/offramp is near enough btw:

Koesj fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 20, 2016

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

TOURISTS SPOTTED, TWELVE O'CLOCK
Koesj, your road geometry is so fantastic, I just love looking at the motion they make.

You know what every city needs more of though? More glass boxes!

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

My train network is badly clogged up and I'm not sure how to resolve it

Essentially it's a giant loop of the map but has both freight and commuters and it seems the trains often get backed up at the cargo terminals for ages

Expand the network or should I remove a few cargo terminals?

Also the fact this game allows trains to go uphill is really silly

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Make freight and passenger loops separate? And/or don't put stations on the main line itself, but on a siding.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Jel Shaker posted:

Essentially it's a giant loop of the map but has both freight and commuters and it seems the trains often get backed up at the cargo terminals for ages

The game has a problem with spawning way too many trains if you have all of your freight and passenger stations hooked up to your regional network. It spawns trains from the region to travel to each of your stations, and these trains only have a small number of passengers or a little bit of freight on board.

The way to work around this is to separate your city's rail from the regional rail line. With only one passenger station or one freight station accessible to the regional rail you'll get way fewer trains clogging up your network.

Another good thing to do is to give your rail lines bypasses around your stations. Trains shouldn't have to drive through stations to get to their destinations.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Dammit, I missed out on all the cheevos because I installed a clock mod

v wow I thought you were joking

Tujague fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 21, 2016

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Install the mod that unblocks achievements for using mods :shepface:

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Quick question; is snow limited to just the snow maps?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

WMain00 posted:

Quick question; is snow limited to just the snow maps?
Of course.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Poil posted:

Of course.

Bah was hoping that weather effects extending to all maps.

Now I have to decide whether I want rain/fog or perpetual winter.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Jel Shaker posted:

Trains also disappear if you remove their destination station. So if you rip up a couple of stations it should help resolve the immediate jam. You can place them back again right away, but you may as well use the chance to change the layout a bit.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Dr. Tough posted:

Maybe someone here can help me. I'm liking this game so far and the performance is pretty decent so far (pop. 40,000) with one exception: if I zoom in in any way on a high density area my game freezes. Like the music is still playing and I hear sound effects but the picture freezes and I get an endlessly spinning pinwheel for a cursor. I have to force quit out to escape. I've tried googling around but I'm only seeing a zoom bug related to harbors and freight terminals and this was happening before I had either of those.

Running OS X, sounds like? Do you have any mods?

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

Running OS X, sounds like? Do you have any mods?

I'm actually not running any mods and the game was still acting up. On a whim I took a look at my drivers for my graphics card. Apparently Cities Skylines doesn't like the default Nvidia drivers that are installed with OS X, but it does like the super special beta drivers that can be installed from Nvidia's website :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Dr. Tough posted:

I'm actually not running any mods and the game was still acting up. On a whim I took a look at my drivers for my graphics card. Apparently Cities Skylines doesn't like the default Nvidia drivers that are installed with OS X, but it does like the super special beta drivers that can be installed from Nvidia's website :psyduck:

Do you have a link for this?