Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Finally beat the Husk and...it doesn't even unlock anything...

:negative:

You got a key, explore the area above the boss arena

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Picked up the game this afternoon and I'm loving it. The nonlinearity is great - I didn't like the look of the Queen of Smiles, so I took a different path and it worked out just fine.
On said other path, I was expecting the False Jester to put up more of a fight after it killed me in ~3 seconds the first time. Second time around, it blitzed out of its arena to try to stab me and just fell to its death. Intentional or not, it was pretty funny.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Inquisitor's a chump, but his bird is pretty nasty; it seems impossible to dodge through his almost instakill lightning, and it's windup is too fast to run from.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fuligin posted:

Inquisitor's a chump, but his bird is pretty nasty; it seems impossible to dodge through his almost instakill lightning, and it's windup is too fast to run from.

Which lightning kills you? Don some heavier armor, his tells are really clear and you can slow roll through him. It's safe to attack him any time you are behind him; try to roll through his long wind-ups and remember to block everything else with your shield.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Fuligin posted:

The run up to disemboweled husk sucks so bad.

It's not bad if you get the air dash first.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
This game is loving massive. I thought I found a shortcut that looped one side of the world map to the other, but nope, there's even more new areas and new areas and new areas...

Oh and I have to remember to give that guy his bag of earth, sheesh. I wish this game had a map.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Without spoiling where it is, is that bag of earth the guy wants a random monster drop or is there a place in the world to pick it up

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
How the gently caress do you approach the spindlebeasts (Unicorn like beasts)? These fuckers skewer me on their horn and takes 98% of my health bar away and the attack can't be blocked by a shield.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Digirat posted:

Without spoiling where it is, is that bag of earth the guy wants a random monster drop or is there a place in the world to pick it up

It was dropped by a monster in kind of a weird location. Uh, it's a unique-looking monster, come to think of it.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Digirat posted:

You pick it up in the world

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Digirat posted:

Yeah, you pick it up somewhere way later. IIRC the reward is nothing special.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You should be able to just grab a handful of dirt in front of him and say "here you go man"

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

How did you even get that spell before defeating the Dried King? I've been using it on my NG+ run and it's still killing bosses in a matter of seconds.

That spell seems seriously overtuned since the others spells are good but nowhere near that ridiculous.

It seemed to show up after advancing the Splendor creed either all the way or most of the way, since it literally appeared in the magic shop from one moment to the next after I ranked it up for the last couple times.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Am I missing something in this Ziggurat or am I going to have to find an alternate entrance to get access to the lower section?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Lakbay posted:

You got a key, explore the area above the boss arena

Or in my game, go back to that loving locked tower thing, the place above where I couldn't find the boss for a few hours.

I saw the switch a million times and didn't realize there was an obelisk. I just though I was misusing my dash brand.

Digirat posted:

I don't know where I got it, but it was much much later. I came back through and once I had the thing and handed it over.

For reference I was through like 10 bosses before I had the thing.'

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 21, 2016

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I am liking how cheap it is to teleport around in this game. Once you make a guide anywhere, it basically only costs you 100 gold to teleport to any sanctuary, since you can just use a horn to get to the guide and then use him to go wherever you want.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
I wish there were a SOTN style map in this game. Which is kind of weird since I actively do not want one in the Souls games. Something about it being 2d makes me really want it, I guess.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah, you pick it up somewhere way later. IIRC the reward is nothing special.

depends on how you answer his questions i think. he gave me a full set of armor

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I have nothing left to spend levels on as a greathammer/light armor user. Is it worth it to start dabbling in miracles and magic? Do any of the lower level spells actually give significant buffs?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

lets hang out posted:

depends on how you answer his questions i think. he gave me a full set of armor

Really? Fuckin' nice, got that one right on my first go. Kudos to the game if this is the case.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Megasabin posted:

I have nothing left to spend levels on as a greathammer/light armor user. Is it worth it to start dabbling in miracles and magic? Do any of the lower level spells actually give significant buffs?

The early spells tend to be buffs. From any mage at any creed devotion level you can get a buff that adds arcane damage, and I imagine that's also true for prayers. More convenient than the consumable buffs imo.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Really? Fuckin' nice, got that one right on my first go. Kudos to the game if this is the case.

Depends on what answers you give him.

Yes yes - Sunset Kite Shield

Yes no - White Plate armor set (heavy)

No Yes - Outlaw Greataxe

No no - Eviscerator (dagger)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Digirat posted:

I am liking how cheap it is to teleport around in this game. Once you make a guide anywhere, it basically only costs you 100 gold to teleport to any sanctuary, since you can just use a horn to get to the guide and then use him to go wherever you want.

This is true but it's kinda dumb the horn doesn't just let you teleport anywhere because the Guide will do that for free anyway after you teleport to him

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Ha ha, the boss of the Mire has the best name.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I'm glad I bought this game early because that means the Diamond Dust bug is still unpatched.

Why yes I will buy 99 of those at a whopping 0 gold apiece, thank you

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder if the Bloodless Prince has a damage bug or something, 'cause for his size, his damage output is pretty low. He's the only boss I've cleared on my first try besides the Jester. This game is goddamn huge.

I like the optional boss, wonder if it's a reference to something.

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 21, 2016

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
So it's not really mages that are imbalanced, it's just elemental damage period. I just fought that boss with the blunderbuss everyone talks about having issues with, and I just slapped some lightning damage on my warhammer, and he died in maybe 10 seconds. I think he shot his gun 3 times period. It was the same story for the third lamb as well.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Megasabin posted:

So it's not really mages that are imbalanced, it's just elemental damage period. I just fought that boss with the blunderbuss everyone talks about having issues with, and I just slapped some lightning damage on my warhammer, and he died in maybe 10 seconds. I think he shot his gun 3 times period. It was the same story for the third lamb as well.

Similarly, high elemental damage mitigates a lot of danger in that fight, although I dig that fire elemental has a damage over time effect.

EDIT: Huh, both of the Ziggurat bosses are pretty easy. Or maybe I'm just getting overpowered now?

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 21, 2016

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I wonder if the Bloodless Prince has a damage bug or something, 'cause for his size, his damage output is pretty low. He's the only boss I've cleared on my first try besides the Jester. This game is goddamn huge.

I like the optional boss, wonder if it's a reference to something.

A multi-char fight in a pitch black pit? I have no idea what you're alluding to.

As for the bloodless prince, I found his body slam to be the worst. The shockwave would always catch me as I tried to roll through his feet.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
My Castlevania build (whip/cleric/pistol) went from pretty awesome to wet noodle again once i hit the final boss and ng+. I was so excited that I had found a way to make the fast weapons have better damage output and now it's back to slapping bosses for 0.1% of their health bar.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Man I wish gold didn't despawn so quickly. This is like the third boss in a row in which I've been too busy exulting to pick up its poo poo. On which note, eat poo poo Husk. I've been too lazy to upgrade shields or armor but just shock buffing my warhammer and going to town has been a surprisingly effective strategy thus far.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Finished this tonight, and enjoyed the poo poo out of it. My only complaints are that the last few bosses were pretty easy, and the last few areas were a little simple compared to some of the mid-game content. I'd definitely like to play through it again. I think my character was a little OP by the end of it, with a max upgraded Level 5 Greataxe. Buffing it with holy damage took off huge chunks of boss health with every hit.

I also said gently caress it and didn't bother with a shield from about the mid-point on.

Megasabin posted:

Ugh, that boss probably took me 20 tries to clear, and the run to him was such a pain. I eventually figured out the best way to deal with his horizontal shot was to jump right in his face and hit him with a couple light attacks in mid-air while he shot, because the blast goes right under you.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Mar 21, 2016

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Is the free warhorn a glitch or is it supposed to be free?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYw0wxl64pI

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Kobogartimer posted:

It seemed to show up after advancing the Splendor creed either all the way or most of the way, since it literally appeared in the magic shop from one moment to the next after I ranked it up for the last couple times.

Ah, I had assumed it was the mage creed only. I guess their only exclusive things are their devotion buffs.

NotAnArtist posted:

A multi-char fight in a pitch black pit? I have no idea what you're alluding to.

As for the bloodless prince, I found his body slam to be the worst. The shockwave would always catch me as I tried to roll through his feet.

That move sucks, as far as I can tell you just have to iframe it. There might be some way to dodge it involving air dashing.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The animation for trying to swing a dagger you don't have the skills to use is amazing

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

il serpente cosmico posted:

Finished this tonight, and enjoyed the poo poo out of it. My only complaints are that the last few bosses were pretty easy, and the last few areas were a little simple compared to some of the mid-game content. I'd definitely like to play through it again. I think my character was a little OP by the end of it, with a max upgraded Level 5 Greataxe. Buffing it with holy damage took off huge chunks of boss health with every hit.

I also said gently caress it and didn't bother with a shield from about the mid-point on.

Parrying and shields don't seem to be of much use in this game, mainly because the 2D plane allows for much greater enemy variety and vertical combat than you'd see in the Souls titles - parrying is great and relatively simple when most of your baddie roster just crawls or stomps along the ground and tries to take piece out of you, but S&S has flying critters and sniper critters and angry blobs and lightning ghosts and suits of armor so big they need they own zip code, many of whom like to fight you in groups. It sucks, but a build that's just rolling around with a big-rear end chunk of metal to hit things with is far and away the best one in this game.

I guess it really does stick close to the Souls formula, DEX builds always get shafted.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 21, 2016

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I just transmuted my warhammer to the monstrous mace and it does almost twice as much damage as anything else I own or could transmute my greatsword to, and it's not that much slower. Is there any point to speccing for greatswords at all because greathammers and axes seem so much better in every way.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

I just transmuted my warhammer to the monstrous mace and it does almost twice as much damage as anything else I own or could transmute my greatsword to, and it's not that much slower. Is there any point to speccing for greatswords at all because greathammers and axes seem so much better in every way.

Damage types, mostly - the game favors Strike damage but it's nice to have something sharp on hand when that doesn't work. Also, greatswords have better reach, faster slashes, and less stamina usage than greathammers, so I prefer them for most bosses.

I just got the Northern Cross greatsword and it's a straight-up copy of the Carnage Scissors from Dishwater: Vampire Smile, it's great. Pair that with the Assassin Set and it's the Dishwasher all over again.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Megasabin posted:

He died so quickly because you were using a greathammer with a buff. Buffs are powerful (so long as the boss isn't resistant to its damage type) and greathammers are by far the strongest class of weapon, due to the heavier weapons just being strong in general, and very few bosses resisting blunt (if not also being resistant to slash).

Some magic is pretty OP. Dragonfire just melts everything in seconds.

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Is the free warhorn a glitch or is it supposed to be free?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYw0wxl64pI

There are a number of items that cost 0G if you level up in Creeds. No idea if it's a glitch or not. Probably is since one of the items is the Diamond Cluster which is probably supposed to be rare/expensive.

Oxxidation posted:

Parrying and shields don't seem to be of much use in this game, mainly because the 2D plane allows for much greater enemy variety and vertical combat than you'd see in the Souls titles - parrying is great and relatively simple when most of your baddie roster just crawls or stomps along the ground and tries to take piece out of you, but S&S has flying critters and sniper critters and angry blobs and lightning ghosts and suits of armor so big they need they own zip code, many of whom like to fight you in groups. It sucks, but a build that's just rolling around with a big-rear end chunk of metal to hit things with is far and away the best one in this game.

I guess it really does stick close to the Souls formula, DEX builds always get shafted.

They have their uses. The top-tier shields absolutely make a lot of bosses jokes as you don't lost much stamina per blocked hit and you nullify most of the damage, letting you do the ole "block boss attacks, get in one or two hits, repeat until dead" thing.

Parrying can be done by any 2handed weapon or by any 1handed weapon if you do not have something equipped in the offhand slot. It's a situational but incredibly useful versus certain tougher enemy types, like the grey knights early on.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 21, 2016

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
This game is goddamn massive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Are iframes just a matter of your roll type?

• Locked thread